Extending Harmony IR mini blasters - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #61 of 97 Old 10-23-2016, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
AWESOME post. thanks! exactly what i needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 97 Old 10-25-2016, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Good post - thanks for the info...
was struggling to get a good length for my cabinet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #63 of 97 Old 10-29-2016, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
It's super annoying that Logitech chose to use 2.5 mm, to sell more Logitech-branded accessories.

Logitech website doesn't even state the 2.5 mm spec, under specifications.

I think Logitech control division was purchased by Monster.
It wasn't purchased by Munster- if that ever happens, it will be the end of my use of anything by Logitech.

post #64 of 97 Old 10-29-2016, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 173
BTW- if the distance becomes a problem, try using an IR distribution kit, from Xantec, Russound, Proficient, etc.
post #65 of 97 Old 11-28-2016, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just used this setup for a 50 foot extension cable from my TV to my closet. Works great! Thanks for the testing and product links.
post #66 of 97 Old 01-30-2017, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Did anybody try replacing the IR LEDs inside the IR Extender with higher powered ones?

The harmony hub has much more power, than the extender, and i'm thinking about modding them to reach more devices..
post #67 of 97 Old 01-30-2017, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked: 1080
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
The IR jack on your Motorola is a blaster port for controlling another device like a VCR, not an input port. So that's never going to work. You'll have to use an emitter instead.

Your Marantz has IR input AND output ports. Confirm you're connected to the right one and that your pin-out is correct (stereo vs. mono). Marantz also has a Remote Lock setting that may need to be changed.
Good points! I am about to try this, with a Yamaha receiver.

@Basa14 did you get this working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23paulbr View Post
great thread and thanks to all for their setup descriptions. I am trying to do something a little different, I want to take the IR hub output and run it through a 3.5mm stereo cable and go directly into my XBR 65X850C IR input jack. I used a 2.5mm to 3.5mm stereo adapter (it was actually labeled a mono/stereo adapter) connected to the 3.5mm stereo cable plugged directly into the TV. Do I just need to switch the adapter on the hub side to mono?

Not clear on how the signals go from point to point ....

Thanks in advance!
When you say "IR input jack" do you mean 3.5mm jack? That's not IR, that's just hard wired remote, which hopefully is just expecting the normal serial signals that the IR control uses....

My current setup.
My favorite movie review podcast, the Next Picture Show.
Don't suffer through Gamma D on your JVC. Optimize HDR Tone Mapping using Arve's tool & Masciola's test patterns instead (hints.)
post #68 of 97 Old 01-30-2017, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Good points! I am about to try this, with a Yamaha receiver.

@Basa14 did you get this working?

When you say "IR input jack" do you mean 3.5mm jack? That's not IR, that's just hard wired remote, which hopefully is just expecting the normal serial signals that the IR control uses....
nathan_h,

Yeah, I go it working. I used an emitter to control my DVR and then by using, I believe mono, connectors go the Marantz controlled with my Harmony via its IR input jack.

Good luck!

Basa14
post #69 of 97 Old 01-30-2017, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked: 1080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basa14 View Post
nathan_h,

Yeah, I go it working. I used an emitter to control my DVR and then by using, I believe mono, connectors go the Marantz controlled with my Harmony via its IR input jack.

Good luck!

Basa14
Awesome, thanks. That definitely sounds promising then. My adapter is on its way to me. Will definitely help me reduce clutter and increase reliability.

UPDATE: works like a charm.

My current setup.
My favorite movie review podcast, the Next Picture Show.
Don't suffer through Gamma D on your JVC. Optimize HDR Tone Mapping using Arve's tool & Masciola's test patterns instead (hints.)

Last edited by nathan_h; 02-05-2017 at 06:50 PM.
post #70 of 97 Old 02-05-2017, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Nice. Thanks.. I just did what you did (except I didn't test it before I ran it). I Was really hoping not to have to rerun everything to figure out what was not syncing. Thanks
post #71 of 97 Old 02-05-2017, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkLT1 View Post
A followup to my last post-

I received the correct adapter- mono 2.5mm plug to mono 3.5mm jack, and it fixed the issue.

Additionally, I tried using said adapter with a generic IR emitter (this one) and it too worked. So, you don't necessarily have to use the mini-blasters (I am only posting this, as I could not find the answer to that question anywhere on the web).

tl;dr:

Harmony Hub --> Monoprice 7121 adapter --> 3.5mm IR Emitter DOES appear to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Shepherd View Post
Nice. Thanks.. I just did what you did (except I didn't test it before I ran it). I Was really hoping not to have to rerun everything to figure out what was not syncing. Thanks
post #72 of 97 Old 02-07-2017, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
FYI, tried extending standard IR emitter with CAT5. Soldered 3.5mm stereo jack on hub end of cable & used 2.5mm to 3.5mm stereo adapter cable (ebay $0.99) from jack to hub. Tip/sleeve on jack did not work. Tip/ring worked.
post #73 of 97 Old 02-08-2017, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1419 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by davige View Post
FYI, tried extending standard IR emitter with CAT5. Soldered 3.5mm stereo jack on hub end of cable & used 2.5mm to 3.5mm stereo adapter cable (ebay $0.99) from jack to hub. Tip/sleeve on jack did not work. Tip/ring worked.
I guess another option is to drop a bit of solder to connect the sleeve and ring making it a mono jack.

post #74 of 97 Old 02-10-2017, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hi

Could anyone please tell me whether the cable in the attached pictures could be modified to extend the blaster from my component closet  (where my hub is) to my TV? I have an available end for this cable in the closet and near the TV run right now.  It used to be for an IR repeater. Thanks you!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
post #75 of 97 Old 02-11-2017, 05:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgterm View Post
Hi

Could anyone please tell me whether the cable in the attached pictures could be modified to extend the blaster from my component closet  (where my hub is) to my TV? I have an available end for this cable in the closet and near the TV run right now.  It used to be for an IR repeater. Thanks you!

Yes, it is CAT 5. Just pick a color and use that pair to extend the signal.
Tgterm likes this.

post #76 of 97 Old 02-11-2017, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
Yes, it is CAT 5. Just pick a color and use that pair to extend the signal.

Thanks for the reply! So, just so I am clear, the elite came with two blasters like this:

If I clip off the plug end of one, I will see two wires under the outside casing? I ask because it appears to be a single wire.

Then, theoretically, I can connect a blaster wire with the blaster end on it to two wires of a chosen color on that CAT5 cable near the TV, and a blaster wire with just the plug end on it to the same color of the CAT5 near the hub in my component closet. Plug that end into my hub, and off we go? Does that sound right?

I guess my concern is that the blaster wires harmony supplied look like a single wire cable...thoughts on that?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #77 of 97 Old 02-11-2017, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! So, just so I am clear, the elite came with two blasters like this:

If I clip off the plug end of one, I will see two wires under the outside casing? I ask because it appears to be a single wire.

Then, theoretically, I can connect a blaster wire with the blaster end on it to two wires of a chosen color on that CAT5 cable near the TV, and a blaster wire with just the plug end on it to the same color of the CAT5 near the hub in my component closet. Plug that end into my hub, and off we go? Does that sound right?

I guess my concern is that the blaster wires harmony supplied look like a single wire cable...thoughts on that?

Thanks!

It's not a single wire.

You can also just use 2.5mm jacks and splice those in instead of cutting your emitter. A male and female.
Tgterm likes this.

post #78 of 97 Old 02-11-2017, 06:35 AM

Quote:
It's not a single wire.

You can also just use 2.5mm jacks and splice those in instead of cutting your emitter. A male and female.

Ah-ha! Sorry, I'm a noob at this....I could splice a 2.5mm female to the TV end of the CAT5...and splice a 2.5mm male to the hub end of the CAT5...plug the spliced male end into the hub...plug a blaster into the spliced female end...and that should work? No chance of frying my hub? Thanks!

post #79 of 97 Old 02-11-2017, 06:49 AM

Extending Harmony IR mini blasters

Quote:
It's not a single wire.

Cut something like this in half...it will have two wires in it...splice the female end to the TV side and the male end to the hub side? That it?

Monoprice 3ft 2.5mm Stereo Plug/Jack M/F Cable - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018MEQAE..._7pYNybC9QE0ZS

Thanks for taking me through this...

post #80 of 97 Old 02-11-2017, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Cut something like this in half...it will have two wires in it...splice the female end to the TV side and the male end to the hub side? That it?

Monoprice 3ft 2.5mm Stereo Plug/Jack M/F Cable - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018MEQAE..._7pYNybC9QE0ZS

Thanks for taking me through this...

The stereo cable will have 3 wires. I'd just use 3 from the cat cable and connect them all. That way you don't need to think about which is ground, left, or right.

post #81 of 97 Old 02-11-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
The stereo cable will have 3 wires. I'd just use 3 from the cat cable and connect them all. That way you don't need to think about which is ground, left, or right.
Okay...so let's say I pick the yellow and white wires on the right in this picture, then I'm assuming the small red wire coming out of the black casing can be used as the ground? As long as I use the same wires on the other end connected to the same wires in the 2.5mm adapter...that should do it? Ignore the other wires, correct? Thank you.

post #82 of 97 Old 02-11-2017, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Okay...so let's say I pick the yellow and white wires on the right in this picture, then I'm assuming the small red wire coming out of the black casing can be used as the ground? As long as I use the same wires on the other end connected to the same wires in the 2.5mm adapter...that should do it? Ignore the other wires, correct? Thank you.

I don't know what the black wire is about. Don't over think it. You just need wires from point A to point B. It doesn't matter the color. Just match both ends. You could use electrical cable or speaker cable if you want, but it is overkill.

I personally use Ethernet wall jack terminations on both ends so I can repurpose the jacks as needed.
Tgterm likes this.

post #83 of 97 Old 02-11-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
I don't know what the black wire is about. Don't over think it. You just need wires from point A to point B. It doesn't matter the color. Just match both ends. You could use electrical cable or speaker cable if you want, but it is overkill.

I personally use Ethernet wall jack terminations on both ends so I can repurpose the jacks as needed.

Got it...thanks!

post #84 of 97 Old 02-11-2017, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Got it...thanks!

I made two of these cables from an Ethernet patch cable cut in half. My CAT cable run is terminated with a proper keystone jack on both ends.
Tgterm likes this.

post #85 of 97 Old 02-11-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:

I made two of these cables from an Ethernet patch cable cut in half. My CAT cable run is terminated with a proper keystone jack on both ends.

What about a mono 2.5 mm cable like this one...will I work? Thanks!

YCS Basics 6 foot 2.5mm Male to Female mono extension cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S1MU0OA..._zM0NybX1XG6YZ

post #86 of 97 Old 02-11-2017, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

YCS Basics 6 foot 2.5mm Male to Female mono extension cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S1MU0OA..._zM0NybX1XG6YZ

It looks fine to me.
Tgterm likes this.

post #87 of 97 Old 02-13-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
It looks fine to me.

Awesome advice on extending the blaster! Mine doesn't look nearly as pretty as yours, but it worked like a charm with the mono cable. Than you so much for your help with this...Alexa (Amazon Echo) is happily controlling my TV again!

post #88 of 97 Old 04-23-2017, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmonySylvain View Post
Hello folks,

Many of you have been asking about extending the IR mini blaster's reach in the various Harmony threads. We did a little experiment, the results of which I wanted to share, and let everyone know which parts we used in case you wanted to order the same.

Please note that the longer the wire, the more current loss is experienced, so extended mini blaster performance may not be on par with that when using the regular cable.

As you're aware, the goal here is to use a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter on the mini blaster side, use a 3.5mm extension cable to reach the desired length, and reduce back from 3.5mm to 2.5mm on the hub side to fit into one of the blaster ports.

We purchased the following adapters from monoprice:

Mini blaster side (2.5mm mono to 3.5mm stereo adapter)
Monoprice item #7125

Harmony Hub side (3.5mm mono to 2.5mm mono adapter)
Monoprice item #7121

We also ordered various cable lengths to test

100ft 3.5mm to 3.5mm mono stereo extension cable (warning - this cable really isn't pretty )
Monoprice item #5595

50ft 3.5mm to 3.5mm stereo extension cable
Monoprice item #5593

25ft 3.5mm to 3.5mm stereo extension cable
Monoprice item #5591

12 ft 3.5mm to 3.5mm stereo extension cable
Monoprice item # 649

Regards,

Sylvain

Will these same adapters & technique work on the Harmony Elite Home hub? I need to run my IR blaster about 75ft back to my hub. Not sure what model hub was used for the test?
post #89 of 97 Old 05-15-2017, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:

So, did you use this cable?

Did you cut the two ends off this wire... the one the male end, you attached 3 pair of your cat5/6 cable to the three wires... and then on the female end, you attached the other end of your cat5/6 cable to the same colored pairs of cat-5/6 wire. You then attached the harmony emitter into the female end?

Is that right?
post #90 of 97 Old 05-15-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
So, did you use this cable?

Did you cut the two ends off this wire... the one the male end, you attached 3 pair of your cat5/6 cable to the three wires... and then on the female end, you attached the other end of your cat5/6 cable to the same colored pairs of cat-5/6 wire. You then attached the harmony emitter into the female end?

Is that right?
Yes. With this cable...which I think is the same as the one in my earlier post. Works really well.

YCS Basics 6 foot 2.5mm Male to Female mono extension cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S1MU0OA..._nxDgzb8VASWGX

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
kmhvball likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page