Extending Harmony IR mini blasters - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #91 of 97 Old 07-26-2017, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 430
I am in the process of re-locating all my Home Theater AV equipment into a remote closet. Only "device" that will remain in the Home Theater is my ceiling mounted projector. I have a Logitech Control remote + hub that will go into the closet which covers being able to control the AV equipment. What I am left with is how to control the projector. From reading this thread, my understanding is that I can use a regular 3rd party IR emitter, the kind that uses adhesive to stick straight to the IR eye on the projector + a 3.5mm to 2.5 adapter to hook into the HUB? Just wanted to verify cause if so then I can just route the emitter with the HDMI cable for the projector and stick the emitter to the projectors IR eye. Don't really like the IR blaster that came with the Harmony because it would be hard to position.

Would something like this be compatible with Harmony Hub using plug adapter?
https://www.amazon.com/Infrared-Exte...gle+IR+emitter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 97 Old 07-26-2017, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
I am in the process of re-locating all my Home Theater AV equipment into a remote closet. Only "device" that will remain in the Home Theater is my ceiling mounted projector. I have a Logitech Control remote + hub that will go into the closet which covers being able to control the AV equipment. What I am left with is how to control the projector. From reading this thread, my understanding is that I can use a regular 3rd party IR emitter, the kind that uses adhesive to stick straight to the IR eye on the projector + a 3.5mm to 2.5 adapter to hook into the HUB? Just wanted to verify cause if so then I can just route the emitter with the HDMI cable for the projector and stick the emitter to the projectors IR eye. Don't really like the IR blaster that came with the Harmony because it would be hard to position.

Would something like this be compatible with Harmony Hub using plug adapter?
https://www.amazon.com/Infrared-Exte...gle+IR+emitter
Yes, I just used a double 10' IR emitter from Infrared Resources on Amazon for my Harmony-hub based Elite remote and it works perfect. Same style as that one with the mono 3.5 end, just be sure to get a mono version of the 3.5 to 2.5 adapter. I got mine from Monoprice, however they're simple and I'd expect anything to work.

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
post #93 of 97 Old 07-26-2017, 11:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I've purchased a Harmony Elite and only just noticed the RF signal range is 30 foot. I need a distance of about 60 foot between the remote and my AV cabinet.

So, I am going to have the hub and IR emitter placed at opposite ends to what most people would - ie the hub within close range to the remote and the IR emitters in the AV cabinet.

Of course, I am going to require to extend the IR emitters.

I already have in place a HDMI over Cat 5 adapter at the TV end and another at the AV cabinet end. These units have female 3.5mm jacks for IR (which I'm currently using).

In order to use the Harmony kit within my environment, can someone please confirm the significance of stereo and mono adapters? I can find a mono 2.5mm to 3.5mm (which will connect my Hdmi/Cat 5 IR port to the Harmony hub. But I am struggling to find a suitable adapter for the AV cabinet end. Here I need a 3.5mm male to 2.5mm female. I am struggling to find such an adapter with mono on both ends.

I am in the UK. So was wondering if anyone could point me to product links that would work.

Thanks.

Last edited by sh500; 07-26-2017 at 11:54 PM.

post #94 of 97 Old 09-15-2017, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
In the parts you suggested, item #7125 is not in stock at monorpice.com. Is there an alternate part I can use to complete this?
post #95 of 97 Old 09-21-2017, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quick question related, if I have a couple free component cables that go through my crawl space, can cut the ends and put "ir" jacks on each end? Rather not have to rerun wires. Thanks!
post #96 of 97 Old 09-21-2017, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1420 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumavguy View Post
Quick question related, if I have a couple free component cables that go through my crawl space, can cut the ends and put "ir" jacks on each end? Rather not have to rerun wires. Thanks!
Probably. Instead of cutting them get a composite patch cable and cut that and add ir jacks to it. That way, assuming your cable is already terminated, you leave your existing run in place.

post #97 of 97 Old 10-03-2017, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi team,

Sorry if I'm repeating something, I'm late to this thread and have read through and don't think I've found the same situation. I have the Harmony Elite hub in an AV closet and want to send the mini IR Blasters out to (up to) 4 TVs in order to have the ability to control them with the app. I have cat6 pre-run through to each tv and was just going to solder the mini blasters through that. I tested this theory first through a small patch cable in the provided mini blaster and it worked perfectly, so I went the whole hog and bought the 4-way mini blasters. After soldering and connecting both ends today I excitedly sat down only for it not to work.

Any suggestions? Has anyone run into this problem? Could it be the length of the cat6 between the two ends of the mini blaster?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page