IR and RF remote control - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-06-2015, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
IR and RF remote control

I've searched through many threads regarding a problem I found after purchasing my Harmony 650 remote, but can't seem to find a concise answer to my problem.

My Harmony 650 cannot control my Lutron Caseta dimmer switches due to the remotes being RF instead of IR.

Does anyone know of a way I can get around this without incurring a major expense? Wasn't sure if a hub or bridge would be able to convert the signal of the Lutron dimmers to be managed by IR through the remote? Are there remotes capable of handling both signal types with as much ease of setup like the Harmony?

My ultimate goal is to be able to press one button of course, and have all components turn on and lights dim down.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2015, 06:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Old 01-06-2015, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Nice find! Thanks. So I'd have to buy a different remote along with a hub to get this to work. Appreciate the help.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Yes. If you were to somehow integrate an IR gateway device of some kind with your 650, you could have bought an Ultimate for about the same price and have a much better solution.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 229
I'm not sure about those exact dimmers, but I have Linear Z-wave dimmers in my home (and other Z-wave devices). I can control them with any IR remote with a bit of a hack using my Vera home controller and a PC.

You get a cheap USB IR receiver and install it and Eventghost on the PC. You create any IR device on your Harmony 650 (such as an 80's Sony VCR). Send any command such as Play. Eventghost will capture that command and you use it as a trigger. Then in Eventghost you create a Macro and use the IR trigger to perform an action to send an IP command. For the Vera to turn on the light labeled as device 1 you use:

http://your_vera_ip_address:3480/dat...wTargetValue=1

To turn it off you change newTargetValue=1 to 0. There are also commands for setting dim level percents as well as scenes. You would just capture more triggers such as Stop, Rec, 1 thru 9 or make more devices.

I use an RF remote so I don't have to point at the IR receiver on the PC. The whole Eventghost/PC/IR thing goes away when I use iRule on a tablet since that has direct IP control of the Vera.