Interesting Kickstarter - NEEO - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #31 of 114 Old 02-13-2015, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm looking forward to receiving mine.

Harmony has the lead, but when I can't even backup my configuration and have to configure part with the phone and part with the computer there is a major problem. I can't tell you how many times I have had to reprogram this thing because of the supposed bluetooth control. It worked great for a time, but now I'm stuck with either the keyboard or the ultimate having bluetooth control. I'll probably keep the keyboard setup, but I'm likely to ditch the ultimate. Did I mention the 16 device limit... Maybe this will be a kick in the pants for logitech to fix the mess that is their now Home v Ultimate nonsense and create a universal and open system for users that can be configured fully from a computer.

They sent an email about enabling Plex/Kodi natively and IFTTT channel along with open source for 2-way device integration.
Djoel likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 114 Old 02-13-2015, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I have 98 projects backed and only 3 have been disappointing. 2 are iphone cases and I blame Apple partially for that. One is plum light switches and I spent a good $1k+ on it but they are way beyond their original goal. However I feel confident I'll get rewards eventually, from all but one of 98 backed.
post #33 of 114 Old 02-18-2015, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This looks like an awesome start up. I'm a huge fan of aesthetics and this remote definitely takes the cake.

I've been using the Harmony Ultimate for about a year and a half and I love it. I don't see the problems that so many other people speak of. Yeah, it's frozen a couple of times while syncing, but it's always been an easy fix.

This NEEO remote just looks incredible. I mean..I don't see much difference than the Ultimate aside from the way it looks, but I'm still very interested.
thrillcat likes this.

post #34 of 114 Old 02-18-2015, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Hopefully this isn't a case of form over function (which is usually the case).

post #35 of 114 Old 02-18-2015, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 422
I gave up on Harmony a long time ago, I have tried other solution and never been really happy with them, hoping that this comes through as promise because I need a single remote in my life

Djoel
post #36 of 114 Old 02-23-2015, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
Just came across this and backed it.

I've been unhappy with Harmony remotes in the past. I've been kicking around the idea of an iRule for about a year now, but I still like the idea of having a remote instead of an iPod or iPhone. I might still wind up doing an iRule system, but this intrigued me enough to give it a shot.

It's like a Harmony remote with 100x better design (I'm kind of a freak about design).

We'll see. Curious what others think.
I have a Harmony and a simple (no screen) remote after not finding very much utility in a full-blown touch screen remote that broke too quickly.

The one thing I really need is reliable device control. I don't care about touch screens, or gestures, or anything fancy. I just want all of my stuff to turn on correctly & quickly when I press a button. This is surprisingly hard to pull off based on my experience with the Harmony line of products, so if these folks can do better I'll throw my money at them.

Although I will comment that the 360 degree IR thingamabob doesn't seem well designed to me. My Harmony came with a simple IR blaster that I needed to awkwardly stick to the side of one of my front speakers for it to reach everything in my setup. I don't know what I'd do with that hockey puck.
post #37 of 114 Old 02-24-2015, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I backed the NEEO after some encouragement from the Mass Fidelity Team.
I figure I can always re gift if I do not like its performance. I could not even hope to keep track of what I ordered if I were in 98 funding campaigns!!

Mark Conner
post #38 of 114 Old 02-25-2015, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjforman View Post
I have a Harmony and a simple (no screen) remote after not finding very much utility in a full-blown touch screen remote that broke too quickly.

The one thing I really need is reliable device control. I don't care about touch screens, or gestures, or anything fancy. I just want all of my stuff to turn on correctly & quickly when I press a button. This is surprisingly hard to pull off based on my experience with the Harmony line of products, so if these folks can do better I'll throw my money at them.

Although I will comment that the 360 degree IR thingamabob doesn't seem well designed to me. My Harmony came with a simple IR blaster that I needed to awkwardly stick to the side of one of my front speakers for it to reach everything in my setup. I don't know what I'd do with that hockey puck.
I had that problem in the past with Harmony. After needing a new remote I reluctantly had to go with Harmony again. I have been pleasantly surprised with the ultimate home so far.
post #39 of 114 Old 03-02-2015, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo View Post
Many of the complaints about the Harmony Ultimate have to do with the transport keys above the touch screen.
Multiple users are saying this is an awkward finger stretch and the buttons should be below the touch screen.
I noticed on the Neeo it was designed that way?
Neeo design meeting:

developer 1: So market research indicates consumers are unhappy with transport buttons located above the touch screen because of poor ergonomics. How can we fix this?

developer 2: We could eliminate the transport keys along with most of the other useful hard keys and put them on the touch screen!

developer 3: Poof! They're gone. Is it lunch time yet? 10:30am? Close enough, let's get fondue!

as design team heads for the elevator:

developer 1: guys, consumers didn't say they don't like the buttons, just the location!

footsteps receed in the hallway

developer 1: Guys?

developer 1: Hello?

Cool looking remote and concept, but I'm skeptical of putting so much on the touch screen because I really like having that no-look muscle memory remote usage ability. I'll definitely be following to see if this gets to the marketplace and what consumer feedback is.
Ryan1 and wkearney99 like this.

XBOX Live: Ell Dudereno
post #40 of 114 Old 03-07-2015, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am following this one too, looks very interesting. But, it feels like its headed down the path of so many kickstarter campaigns: lofty promises, followed by production delays, scaled back functionality, and ultimately angry backers. I say "feels like" because they have given no update on production since the funding campaign ended, and the first units are supposed to ship this month. They've given lots of updates to backers that have asked questions about what it will do/not do, they've been good about that. But any questions about production timeline, shipping, etc aren't really answered directly.

I was all set to get the new Harmony, then I saw this...so if it does work well I'll be shelling out my $299 this summer.
post #41 of 114 Old 03-07-2015, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Funny, because they actually have given an update. They said this past week or the week before that they haven't yet received the Kickstarter funds but they've worked with their production vendors to start production before the funding officially comes in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #42 of 114 Old 03-07-2015, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2277 Post(s)
Liked: 992
They've got some competition:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...al-remote-ever

(pretty useless in my opinion)
post #43 of 114 Old 04-02-2015, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

What are we hearing as an updated delivery date?

Mark Conner
post #44 of 114 Old 04-02-2015, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Interesting Kickstarter - NEEO

Nothing has changed. Early bird beginning in March, the rest of Kickstarter in May. Production is in full swing in Switzerland.

Edit: I forgot (since I'm not an early bird) that they said Early Birds would have to wait until April. They switched a couple manufacturers due to quantity which delayed the initial run. But they also added that they're using Swiss companies that are very reputable for precision quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by thrillcat; 04-03-2015 at 05:18 AM.
post #45 of 114 Old 04-09-2015, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Also controls the Mass Fidelity Core BT Speaker.
Any updates on delivery?

Mark Conner
post #46 of 114 Old 04-09-2015, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1134348

From March 27th:

We are super happy to announce that the manufacturing process is going really well. Due to your overwhelming support, we will be delivering a huge number of NEEOs. We had to re-negotiate and even find some new suppliers to handle the volume. We had tough negotiations which is normal and we are now aligned. You guys made something incredible possible.

In order to get NEEO produced in the quality we demand, we decided to work with Swiss suppliers. Most steps of the manufacturing including the machining of the Aluminum, Aluminum anodizing, Polycarbonate coating, Part of the assembling, quality control, testing and much more will be done by amazing suppliers for the watch & aviation industry. You can really look forward experiencing your NEEO.

The majority of the pledges were scheduled for delivery in May 2015. If everything continues to go well and our partners deliver as planned we will start shipping in May! This is valid for all pledge levels that say MAY. The only thing that will be a bit delayed are the Super Early birds and serial numbers 1-9. Those will be shipped first before the May batch. We will add a little surprise to the package to thank you for your patience.

post #47 of 114 Old 04-11-2015, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I didn't back this, but will be curious to see what you all think when you receive your systems. Keep us posted!
post #48 of 114 Old 04-14-2015, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I like the concept of the NEEO, but the UI editor and programming will determine how good it will be in the end. From a UI standpoint, you have to be able to show every button from a given IR remote, which means 0-9 keypads, transports, and around 8-10 touch screen buttons for everything else. I sincerely hope it is an open platform where I can use all of my own graphics.
post #49 of 114 Old 04-21-2015, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm really looking forward to your impressions when you guys get yours. I would have backed this if I had seen it in Jan. Looks like just what I've been looking for. Definitely keep us posted!
post #50 of 114 Old 04-22-2015, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afakhori View Post
I'm really looking forward to your impressions when you guys get yours. I would have backed this if I had seen it in Jan. Looks like just what I've been looking for. Definitely keep us posted!
They recently started manufacturing

http://36.media.tumblr.com/eaf93ab92...euto1_1280.jpg

Quote:
Manufacturing has started!

Dear Kickstarter backers, Here is the latest news from the ultra busy NEEO office:

Manufacturing

We are super happy to announce that the manufacturing process is going really well. Due to your overwhelming support, we will be delivering a huge number of NEEOs. We had to re-negotiate and even find some new suppliers to handle the volume. We had tough negotiations which is normal and we are now aligned. You guys made something incredible possible.

Swiss quality

In order to get NEEO produced in the quality we demand, we decided to work with Swiss suppliers. Most steps of the manufacturing including the machining of the Aluminum, Aluminum anodizing, Polycarbonate coating, Part of the assembling, quality control, testing and much more will be done by amazing suppliers for the watch & aviation industry. You can really look forward experiencing your NEEO.

Delivery Dates

The majority of the pledges were scheduled for delivery in May 2015. If everything continues to go well and our partners deliver as planned we will start shipping in May! This is valid for all pledge levels that say MAY. The only thing that will be a bit delayed are the Super Early birds and serial numbers 1-9. Those will be shipped first before the May batch. We will add a little surprise to the package to thank you for your patience.

Design

After NEEO's success at this year’s IF design award we were encouraged to enter the Red-Dot Award contest too. This is the largest international competition for product design. The winners will be announced on Monday the 30th of March, please keep your fingers crossed for NEEO.

The team grows

Hardware engineer Markus Lempen joined the NEEO team. Markus performed already lots of work making NEEO very solid from day one. Another addition to the team: Hardware Andy just became father. His wife and little girl are healthy and happy!

Website & compatibility check

For all who missed getting NEEO during our kickstarter campaign, we are currently taking pre-orders on neeo.com. The website shows only basic info at this time. We are working on a brand new site which goes live next month. It will offer some features like compatibility check - so you can make sure all your gear works with NEEO – and some special offers. Stay tuned.

What’s next

Finally, manufacturing is a fun and really interesting part of creating NEEO. You are part of the amazing journey, so expect to see more frequent updates and photos coming soon. We are putting all our energy into getting your NEEO to you. Thanks so much for being part of this!

The NEEO Team
post #51 of 114 Old 05-29-2015, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Almost June

It's almost June, and they've missed all of their delivery dates. They did a smart thing and did not give a delivery date in the last Kickstarter update, which made some folks mad initially but gets them out of the cycle of continually missing dates.

I was really looking forward to replacing my Harmony with this...hope that it still comes through but seems like it might not be for several months or more.
post #52 of 114 Old 06-01-2015, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Just read their May 31st update. It sounds like late summer is very optimistic. I guess they are learning that the last 10% takes half the time.

post #53 of 114 Old 06-13-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
They've got some competition:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...al-remote-ever

(pretty useless in my opinion)
How would anyone intuitively know how to use this thing? Dialing a channel directly? Navigating a guide? This has to be the dumbest device I have ever seen for a control option.

This ridiculous thing got funded.... ugh.
post #54 of 114 Old 06-26-2015, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2376
Thought I would check in to see if they met their schedule. As I fully expected it's going the way of every other complex electronic gadget on KS. Unless it's a simple product like a multi tool carved from a single piece of metal that can be made locally, or a device using readily available parts without any custom electronics, KS creators always jump in head first and take a year beyond deadlines to try and stop drowning. Then they realize how much R&D and supplier economics they never accounted for.

post #55 of 114 Old 07-10-2015, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Wow!
Let the reviews come in!
post #56 of 114 Old 08-22-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkeegan View Post
I like that you have a remote with a separate brain/IR blaster and the idea of scrolling touch screen. Most of my AV equipment is tucked away so I hope to be able to use the Neeo to control my TV (on/off/input) selection while still being able to control the tucked away equipment. We'll see. Currently I have to try and aim at my remote IR receiver and I am not always so lucky. It works but it can take several attempts. Since the brain receives commands via 6LowPAN (wireless format) (I think I heard that mentioned) from the remote it looks that I don't have to aim directly at the brain. Its an interesting project.
I currently use Harmony Ultimate Home so I have IR from the remote and the hub, I don't think Neeo can do this correct? My Samsung TV is in a different room to everything else!

Considering pre-ordering... So no high expectations on the delivery date
post #57 of 114 Old 08-22-2015, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by se97dgw View Post
I currently use Harmony Ultimate Home so I have IR from the remote and the hub, I don't think Neeo can do this correct? My Samsung TV is in a different room to everything else!

Considering pre-ordering... So no high expectations on the delivery date
It's my understanding you would need a second brain as the remote doesn't send out IR only the brain/brains. More than one brain can be paired to a single remote.
post #58 of 114 Old 08-22-2015, 10:22 PM

Yes true that would work thanks I hadn't thought of that!

The con of that is an extra device plugged in to the wall in my otherwise clean living room.

The other option that I will try a bit in the next week is using hdmi-cec to drive the TV to same state as my AV receiver (Sony 1060)
post #59 of 114 Old 08-23-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by se97dgw View Post
The other option that I will try a bit in the next week is using hdmi-cec to drive the TV to same state as my AV receiver (Sony 1060)
Seems as I am using the 2nd HDMI output for another room that CEC cannot be enabled on the receiver
post #60 of 114 Old 11-09-2015, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Has anyone gotten an early shipment....

Marantz SR6010
Emotiva XPA-5
B&W 684 S2
B&W HTM61 S2
SVS SB-2000...Wanna Go for Broke and Get Dual SB-2000
Future 683 S2 (Future Purchase )