Interesting Kickstarter - NEEO - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #91 of 114 Old 04-24-2017, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
Thanks for the leads, both Nevo and Xsight get a high proportion of negative reviews.

I don't need BT (don't even know what it is), IP, or Zigbee, just looking for something to replace my URC MX-880, which I've never managed to fully program.

> Harmony Elite is your best DIY option for all of that at the moment.

Is that including the Neeo, or are you withholding judgement on that?
How can anyone say how well the Neeo will perform? I would count on more shipping delays and plenty of software and firmware bugs to last another couple years.

BT means Bluetooth, which I'm sure you've heard of elsewhere. Many devices are becoming Bluetooth compatible. The Harmony mentioned allows for control of those devices.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 114 Old 04-24-2017, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2276 Post(s)
Liked: 992
Quote:
Thanks for the leads, both Nevo and Xsight get a high proportion of negative reviews.
Those are based on old information since that model was discontinued years before we wrote our own software for it. See my wiki for the real story and the latest info. In spite of it being the best remote value today by far, its time has passed. I have a lifetime supply myself, but can't really recommend to new users anymore.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/inde...sight_and_Nevo

For those who don't need RF, JP1 remotes are still fantastic.
Quote:
> Harmony Elite is your best DIY option for all of that at the moment.

Is that including the Neeo, or are you withholding judgement on that?
What Bryan said.
post #93 of 114 Old 04-24-2017, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Good point, and yes I've heard of Bluetooth.

I was considering the Harmony but was again a bit hesitant at the proportion of negative reviews.

But I guess I need to adjust that down given the greater likelihood of people complaining over praising.

Noah

post #94 of 114 Old 04-24-2017, 04:54 PM

mdavej,

Very interesting, but I'm confused:

> For those who don't need RF...

The first thing the site says is "The Xsight and Nevo model remotes are very advanced IR and RF remotes...", and you also said above that it was.

Noah

Last edited by noah katz; 04-24-2017 at 05:03 PM.
post #95 of 114 Old 04-24-2017, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
mdavej,

The first thing the site says is "The Xsight and Nevo model remotes are very advanced IR and RF remotes..."
Why not just keep your MX-880 and learn to program it correctly? It is a good remote.

None of these others will be controlling your dimmer anyway.

post #96 of 114 Old 04-24-2017, 05:09 PM

Darn, forgot about that; the Neeo claims to though.

It's not just the MX-880's programming.

I'm using the JVC code for my old RS10 because the one for my RS4910 doesn't work (OK, I guess learning counts as more programming), and its keys are becoming recalcitrant.

Noah
post #97 of 114 Old 04-24-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
mdavej,

The first thing the site says is "The Xsight and Nevo model remotes are very advanced IR and RF remotes...", and you also said above that it was.
Since you didn't like Nevo, I was just trying to make the point that other non-RF JP1 remotes are a great option for those who don't need RF. I didn't mean to imply Nevo wasn't RF or that you don't need RF. But I'm not convinced that you do.

I'm the author of the wiki. So I hope what I say here matches what I said there.
post #98 of 114 Old 04-24-2017, 05:44 PM

I don't not like Nevo after your telling me you wrote better s/w for it.

Noah
post #99 of 114 Old 04-24-2017, 07:22 PM

In case anyone saw the rant I just deleted, please disregard it. I completely missed the double negative above and took it to mean the opposite. My apologies for the mix up.

Let's get back to NEEO...
post #100 of 114 Old 04-24-2017, 07:29 PM

Whew, that's a relief (saw it in an email notification).

I was mystified, but one missing "not" explains it.

Noah
post #101 of 114 Old 04-25-2017, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
How can anyone say how well the Neeo will perform? I would count on more shipping delays and plenty of software and firmware bugs to last another couple years.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #102 of 114 Old 08-18-2017, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

FINALLY...starts shipping today.

https://planet.neeo.com/t/k9lvv0

post #103 of 114 Old 09-20-2017, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The NEEO has shipped, and after spending a couple weeks with mine, I'm pretty content with it. The hardware is very well-built. It's a quality piece of hardware.

I have a very convoluted network setup, so it took a bit of trying and testing, and finally just taking the brain up to my office where the primary router is to do the initial setup, then moving it back down to the theater. It's worked flawlessly since.

Initial setup, as others have noted, is not as clear as it could be with even a small amount of documentation. I was easily able to get all my equipment loaded into the system (Panasonic projector, AppleTV, TiVo Mini, Roku 3, Oppo BD103, Emotiva XMC-1, Lutron Maestro, Dyson AM09), I got all the wiring figured out in the app, and everything powered up and selected the correct inputs perfectly.

Powering down was where I was confused. With a hardware "Power" button on the remote, as well as a "Power" symbol listed on each active recipe, I wasn't sure what to use. Either way, it didn't like my projector and wanted me to power it down manually. Well, it seems like it still tries to power it down as part of the recipe even after you power it down manually. I was getting a little fed up with my bulb being shut down and immediately powered back up.

I sent a note to them on Planet.neeo.com and within about 4 hours they had fixed and updated the Panasonic projector's driver. I tested it when I got home and it has worked flawlessly since. I'm very pleased with the response, and with the basic operation of the NEEO.

Now it's just a matter of customizing it, and learning to think like a programmer to create custom recipes.

It's not perfect, but I think it could be with some time and a little more development, which seems to be happening.

post #104 of 114 Old 09-21-2017, 05:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was an early backer of the Neeo, and I've had mine for about two weeks now. It's taken me the better part of those two weeks with lots of back-and-forth with the Neeo team to get it to a very basic level of functionality where it can turn things on and switch inputs. There is NO IR LEARNING capability, and none of the advanced functions work. It seems like it will be a very long time before even the basic bugs get worked out, and who knows how long after that to bring it to feature parity with something like the Harmony Elite, never mind fulfilling any of it's very high promises. Additionally, the company itself seems to have a very pretentious attitude, and seems unwilling to support devices that it considers "stupid" (those without fully discrete codes for inputs/power states, etc., or devices that they simply haven't labeled right in their database). I would be very surprised if this company is able to stay in business long enough to turn this mess into a mainstream product. I strongly recommend avoiding.
post #105 of 114 Old 09-21-2017, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was always curious about the z-wave integration. Anyone have any insight? I assume if they couldn't get IR learning then Z-wave isn't going to be there either.

post #106 of 114 Old 09-21-2017, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
I was always curious about the z-wave integration. Anyone have any insight? I assume if they couldn't get IR learning then Z-wave isn't going to be there either.
Its there. You may want to visit the discussion forums on https://planet.neeo.com

Sony XBR55A1E
post #107 of 114 Old 09-21-2017, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
NEEO, has impressed me and I like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durandal View Post
I was an early backer of the Neeo, and I've had mine for about two weeks now. It's taken me the better part of those two weeks with lots of back-and-forth with the Neeo team to get it to a very basic level of functionality where it can turn things on and switch inputs. There is NO IR LEARNING capability, and none of the advanced functions work. It seems like it will be a very long time before even the basic bugs get worked out, and who knows how long after that to bring it to feature parity with something like the Harmony Elite, never mind fulfilling any of it's very high promises. Additionally, the company itself seems to have a very pretentious attitude, and seems unwilling to support devices that it considers "stupid" (those without fully discrete codes for inputs/power states, etc., or devices that they simply haven't labeled right in their database). I would be very surprised if this company is able to stay in business long enough to turn this mess into a mainstream product. I strongly recommend avoiding.
I ordered the Neeo when I saw it announced on this website as a Kick-starter project several years ago. Finally arrived this week.
I have a complex setup with lots of switching and some older devices like a DVDO VP-50 and a FLIRC IR receiver plugged into a NUC.
Took me a long time and a dozen different remotes to finally settle on a Harmony 1100 for the last several years.

When I got the NEEO I was so disappointed that I was going to trow it in the trash and just call it a loss? However I emailed tech support with a list of 4 or 5 drivers that needed fixing thinking I would never hear from them. With in a day they had tweaked and created 4 of the 5 and are working on the 5th now.

I have never seen this type of real time service before. My NEEO is now almost ready to replace my old Harmony. I am a happy camper.

Don't count these guys out yet. They are trying very hard to make a great product and there support is more than impressive.

There product is morphing and changing to satisfy their customer base extremely rapidly.
post #108 of 114 Old 09-23-2017, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to darfnader Send a message via Skype™ to darfnader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobby View Post
I ordered the Neeo when I saw it announced on this website as a Kick-starter project several years ago. Finally arrived this week.

I have a complex setup with lots of switching and some older devices like a DVDO VP-50 and a FLIRC IR receiver plugged into a NUC.

Took me a long time and a dozen different remotes to finally settle on a Harmony 1100 for the last several years.

When I got the NEEO I was so disappointed that I was going to trow it in the trash and just call it a loss? However I emailed tech support with a list of 4 or 5 drivers that needed fixing thinking I would never hear from them. With in a day they had tweaked and created 4 of the 5 and are working on the 5th now.

I have never seen this type of real time service before. My NEEO is now almost ready to replace my old Harmony. I am a happy camper.

Don't count these guys out yet. They are trying very hard to make a great product and there support is more than impressive.

There product is morphing and changing to satisfy their customer base extremely rapidly.

I looked at their KS page and it was hard to get a full sense of what the remote could and couldn't do. For instance, is it "guide" aware, showing you feedback on the remote in the form of a channel guide where you can see what is on each station and then pick it? Does it have a similar function for Plex, Kodi, or iTunes where it shows you media available on the remote itself? It's a tall order, but some players are promising this or having some form of this now, so I want to see where they are at wth this product. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #109 of 114 Old 09-23-2017, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darfnader View Post
Does it have a similar function for Plex, Kodi, or iTunes where it shows you media available on the remote itself? It's a tall order, but some players are promising this or having some form of this now, so I want to see where they are at wth this product. Thanks.
I don't use Plex, Kodi or iTunes so I can't answer. I would think neeo.com or planet.neeo.com (forum) would be a better place for receiving an accurate answer. I don't think this forum topic has many eyes.
darfnader likes this.

Sony XBR55A1E
post #110 of 114 Old 09-24-2017, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darfnader View Post
For instance, is it "guide" aware, showing you feedback on the remote in the form of a channel guide where you can see what is on each station and then pick it?
It is with Sonos, and I believe Spotify, and they've been polling backers on what streaming/content services they use, so I believe they plan to keep implementing more 'native' versions of this.

post #111 of 114 Old 09-25-2017, 01:49 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to darfnader Send a message via Skype™ to darfnader
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
It is with Sonos, and I believe Spotify, and they've been polling backers on what streaming/content services they use, so I believe they plan to keep implementing more 'native' versions of this.

Nice, that's cool that the idea is catching on. I hope that more remotes pick up on this approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #112 of 114 Old 09-27-2017, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobby View Post

Their support is keeping the Midnight Oil burning. Last Friday it was mentioned in their discussion forum that OPPO Blu-ray players can be set, by the user, to use a different code set (1 of 3). NEEO, yesterday, added a driver for each of the code sets. Now my two OPPOs are controlled independently. Previously my older blu-ray would power up along with the new one.
So far I'm happy with my purchase and impressed with their support.
thrillcat likes this.

Sony XBR55A1E
post #113 of 114 Old 09-27-2017, 10:35 AM

Can somebody fill me in on Neeo terminology?

So far:

Recipe = Activity macro (includes punch thru and other device key groupings?)
Driver = Device code set (same as driver in the URC sense)
Macro = ?
post #114 of 114 Old 09-27-2017, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Can somebody fill me in on Neeo terminology?

So far:

Recipe = Activity macro (includes punch thru and other device key groupings?)
Driver = Device code set (same as driver in the URC sense)
Macro = ?
Driver is the set of IR commands associated with a device. It can contain screens for the display as well. Typically you first install a driver for your device ie. Sony XBR55A!E. You also select which room it is located as NEEO groups devices per room. Drivers can not be edited at this time as IR learning is not yet available.

Typically a recipe (macro) is auto created associated with the device you just installed. If a cable box has been added as a device it will ask in setup how its connected to your TV and or Receiver. Within the recipe you can see/edit what will be started and when and what inputs are being selected. A recipe is just a macro. You can create additional recipes on your own.
In the recipes you can add timers or commands to any device you've installed.

Only Drivers and Recipes. (Nothing labeled macros or activity macros)

There are two other terms associated with the NEEO. Favorites and Shortcuts. They are separate screens within devices.
On the Favorites screen associated with my TV I have installed Icons related to TV channels such as CBS, NBC and all have been programed to their channel numbers.
On the Shortcuts screen associated with Blu-ray player I have commands that I select to be sent to my receiver. A shortcut can initiate any available command, whether its from the running device or from any other device you have installed. Example In my system my Receiver controls picture zoom so I have created a shortcut that sends the zoom command to my receiver. I also have a shortcut that puts the receiver's control pad on the shortcuts page so I can now control the zoom function.

All programming is done via an Android or iOS app.

Hope that helps.
mdavej likes this.

Sony XBR55A1E

Last edited by pkeegan; 09-27-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page