AVS Forum banner

Replacement for URC MX3000

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Cal68 
#1 ·
I have had two URC remotes for many years and like both of them. I use the MX3000 in my main home theater to control about 8 individual activities or pieces of equipment. Over the past few months, this remote has been giving me trouble in the sense that the display completely disappears from time to time and the only way I can get it working again is to open the unit, disconnect the battery, wait for 30 seconds, and reconnect the battery. The remote will immediately start working again which suggests to me that the problem is not with the charge in the battery itself. This is obviously not fun when it happens to one of my family members and I am not around to resolve the issue. I do not know if anyone else has encountered a similar problem with the MX3000. If yes, can you please let me know what you did to fix the problem?

My alternative is to just get another remote to replace the MX3000. However, it has been a few years since I bought a universal remote and I am looking for suggestions. I prefer a remote with a touch-screen display, so that obviously limits my choices. I also need a remote with RF capability since I do not line of sight to my equipment rack from my main seating position. I could get another MX3000 or an equivalent remote from a different manufacturer if the feeling is that the MX3000 is a bit long in the tooth. Paying a technician to come and program the remote for me is not a problem, so the remote does not have to be one that I need to program myself.

Your suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Cal68

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi mdavej

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll check out the TRC-1280 as I am not familiar with it. I talked to a customer service rep at URC who told me that the problem I am having with my remote is not a common one. He also told me that if I purchased a remote from them directly and sent them my old remote, they could download all the programming and macros from the old remote into the new one. The only problem is that he said that it would take 2 weeks to turn the remote around, that will be an eternity in my household!

Do you know of any Harmony remotes that would fit my requirements? I've heard a lot of good things about the Harmony Ultimate although I know that it is not a touch screen remote.

Thanks again for your help.

Cal68

#4 ·
Folks who like touch screen remotes really like the Ultimate. Most of the critics, like myself, dislike it because of the touch screen in lieu of buttons. Harmony has come a long way in the past year or two with its remotes and software. Pretty great feature set for a DIY type of remote: 25 step macros (finally), IP and BT control, gestures, smartphone integration, home automation (zigbee, z-wave, etc.), all at a much lower price point than URC. It's still a pretty big step down. No variables or conditional branching, shorter macros, fewer devices. Don't know if a URC person would be satisfied. But as long as you don't intend to get to complicated, Harmony should be ok.

#5 ·
Thanks my friend. I may give the Harmony Ultimate a look-see at one of my local A/V stores before I make a decision. The reason I prefer a touch-screen remote is because I've had buttons die on me in the past when I have owned URC remotes with buttons. But then, the MX3000 also appears to be dying on me, so having a touch screen remote is not the ultimate solution either!

Cal68

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.