Using RTI system with Yamaha RX-V775 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-04-2015, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Using RTI system with Yamaha RX-V775

I had to replace my receiver recently when my Onkyo developed the dreaded HDMI board failure. I bought the Yamaha RX-V775 from Costco, and when my installer (who had installed the entire system for the previous homeowner) came out he said it wouldn't work with the RTI because it had no RS232 jack. Just for grins, I guess, he did something to see if he could control it over the ethernet connection, and it worked. I'm pretty good with some of this technology, but a total noob when it comes to the RTI and RS232 control.

Now, the RTI is no longer controlling the Yamaha, but it still controls my other components. Any idea on how I can get it to control the Yamaha again, without calling out the installer?

I like my installer, but this was a side business for him that he's getting out of so I don't want to bother him unnecessarily.

Would it be a more reliable setup to just buy a receiver with an RS232 interface?

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-05-2015, 07:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Since RF or IP is 99.9% as reliable as RS232, reliability isn't really the main benefit. Feedback is (displaying volume level on your remote, for example). Whatever you decide, you'll need your installer to make any changes. But if that installer thought the Yamaha couldn't be controlled, then he obviously has no idea what he's talking about. Find a different installer who knows what he's doing.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-14-2015, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sounds like its setup to talk to the Yamaha on a set IP address and now the Yamaha is no longer on that address. You may need to set it back to what its programmed for then go into your router and setup the Yamaha for DHCP reservation to keep it there.

I have many Receivers and sat boxes out there with IP control, I have had a few jump IP address.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-15-2015, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks... I will see if I can figure out how to reset that on the Yamaha.

Honestly, after receiving a $6000 bid to reprogram my RTI, I'm thinking about ditching that whole system and starting from scratch!
post #5 of 6 Old Yesterday, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by southlakedad View Post
Thanks... I will see if I can figure out how to reset that on the Yamaha.

Honestly, after receiving a $6000 bid to reprogram my RTI, I'm thinking about ditching that whole system and starting from scratch!

Thats seems a bit high to reprogram for the Yamaha if nothing else changed. What else is in the system?

Is it a new guy programming the system from scratch becase the original file is lost?
post #6 of 6 Old Today, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter

That was their bid to reprogram the RTI essentially completely, even though I told them I just wanted to tweak and debug the existing program. The system really only controlled the theater and distributed TV to the upstairs, so this bid (while no doubt reasonable for some setups) was dramatic overkill for our application.

I decided to go a different route. I've gotten rid of our 6 FIOS DVRs and replaced them with 2 TiVo Roamio Pros and 7 minis. This allows me to distribute TV (and streaming apps, etc.) over the existing Cat-6 wire previously employed by the RTI, giving me superior functionality, RF remotes in every room, with small boxes hidden behind the TVs in each room. A far superior setup for our needs for a hardware cost of about $2000. With monthly savings based on giving up the FIOS DVRs this will eventually break even.

For theater control I'm implementing Roomie remote, and will see how well this works out before scaling up to more automation/integration features.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
RS232 , rti , Yamaha
Gear in this thread - RS232 by PriceGrabber.com