Standard 1/8" IR "blaster" to USB adaptor? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 5 Old 05-29-2015, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question Standard 1/8" IR "blaster" to USB adaptor?

So up until I recently, I was using my Harmony 880 Pro IR remote to control my WinXP HTPC, using a USB IR Dongle (an M-Play Mini by VL Systems out of Korea).

I recently upgraded my HTPC to Win7, and unfortunately, the company that made the dongle is out of business, and they never made Win7 compatible drivers. So now I'm in the market for a new IR to USB dongle. Which got me thinking...

I already use a standard IR repeater setup with a receiver and multiple blasters. These all pretty much use identical 1/8" TRS plugs for their connections and they work among various brands. Does anyone make a USB adaptor to take this 1/8" TRS plug, as a blaster output? That way, you're cutting out the actual IR portion completely, like receivers that have 1/8" control ports do. It seems like this would be simpler and cheaper than an actual USB IR dongle.

Otherwise, I'm going IR receiver, to IR repeater, to IR Blaster, to IR USB Dongle. Seems kind of silly to go from electrical to IR and back.

Harman Kardon AVR 254 ● Energy Connoisseur C-7 ● Epson PowerLite 8350 ● 100" DIY WA DW w/ 80/20 frame
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-29-2015, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 249
It is silly, but you are going to be stuck with IR flashing instead of a direct connection. There was one device a long time ago, but it wasn't cheap and I don't think it is produced anymore. You are better off just getting an eHome compatible IR device such as the HP Media Center IR Receiver. No drivers required.

post #3 of 5 Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM
DGF

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I used to use a dongle called the USBIRT - It looks like the company is still in business (at least the site is up and they have a Windows 8 driver ).

http://www.usbuirt.com/
post #4 of 5 Old Today, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGF View Post
I used to use a dongle called the USBIRT - It looks like the company is still in business (at least the site is up and they have a Windows 8 driver ).

http://www.usbuirt.com/
He is looking for one with an 1/8" (3.5mm) IR input jack. The USB-UIRT only has an IR output jack.

post #5 of 5 Unread Today, 11:15 AM
DGF

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
He is looking for one with an 1/8" (3.5mm) IR input jack. The USB-UIRT only has an IR output jack.
Yup, you're right - I was thinking that the jack was for input & output, like you can do with the IR Tx/Rx section of the USBIRT, but like you pointed out, it's not - in my (admittedly lame) defense, it was quite a few years ago since I last used one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
blaster , htpc , infrared , repeater , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page