261Likes

post #31 of 1995 Old 09-22-2015, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecmec View Post
Trevot Trevor Trevor. If you look closely at the cnet review you will clearly see the tell tale sign that IR should indeed be just like the ultimate... :-)
There is absolutely nothing in the cnet review (or on Harmony's website) about whether the remote itself has an IR emitter like the ultimate (which is why I asked). It briefly mentions that all devices are controlled via IR from the hub but doesn't say whether you can do so from the remote directly like you can with the ultimate. If you will recall when the latest generation form factor of Harmony remotes was released there were a few that did not have IR built into the remote itself.

Maybe you were just joking but your post makes it sound as if it is blatantly obvious that IR is built into the remote. Based on their past products I don't see that it is, hence I asked here. I hope you are right though, if it has IR built into the remote I will purchase one, or two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1995 Old 09-22-2015, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevordj View Post
There is absolutely nothing in the cnet review (or on Harmony's website) about whether the remote itself has an IR emitter like the ultimate (which is why I asked). It briefly mentions that all devices are controlled via IR from the hub but doesn't say whether you can do so from the remote directly like you can with the ultimate. If you will recall when the latest generation form factor of Harmony remotes was released there were a few that did not have IR built into the remote itself.

Maybe you were just joking but your post makes it sound as if it is blatantly obvious that IR is built into the remote. Based on their past products I don't see that it is, hence I asked here. I hope you are right though, if it has IR built into the remote I will purchase one, or two.
Look at the picture that shows the underneath of the remote on the cnet interview. If that is not an IR window I will blend one of these and eat it!
Maybe because I have been using Harmony remotes since they came out, but I will bet dollars to donuts that I am right on this count!
And seriously, you think the new Flagship from Harmony would NOT have direct IR control???

Well, I just got around to reading the press release and I will say with 100% certainty that it does indeed have direct IR control.
Logitech Harmony® 950

Logitech Harmony 950 is the best Harmony infrared universal remote yet for control of TV, movies, music, and games. Its color touchscreen provides powerful, intuitive control of up to 15 devices. The all-new design has a color touchscreen that uses gestures including swipes and taps to change channels, fast-forward or rewind, and adjust the volume. The motion sensing, backlit buttons and improved button layout make it easy to find the right button, even in the dark. The replaceable, rechargeable battery offers 20% greater capacity over its predecessor, and set up is quick and simple.

Logitech Harmony® Elite

Logitech Harmony Elite delivers the same great feature set as the Harmony 950, paired with the power of the Harmony Hub. Whether using the mobile app or advanced touchscreen remote, Harmony Elite offers seamless control of your entertainment—and your connected home. With the Harmony Elite, you can replace remotes for up to 15 entertainment devices, and combine that with control popular smart home products including lights, locks, and thermostats, either directly with one touch, on customizable schedules, or even when away from home

Last edited by mecmec; 09-22-2015 at 07:24 PM.
post #33 of 1995 Old 09-22-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
And seriously, you think the new Flagship from Harmony would NOT have direct IR control???
I don't know why you feel the need to be rude. If my question bothered you so much than simply move along. If I knew the answer I wouldn't have asked the question. For the life of me I cannot figure out why doing so would get you so fired up.

post #34 of 1995 Old 09-22-2015, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't know why you feel the need to be rude. If my question bothered you so much than simply move along. If I knew the answer I wouldn't have asked the question. For the life of me I cannot figure out why doing so would get you so fired up.
Sorry if you think I have been rude. I actually thought I was being helpful by pointing this stuff out to you. I won't bother you again..
post #35 of 1995 Old 09-22-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Sorry if you think I have been rude. I actually thought I was being helpful by pointing this stuff out to you. I won't bother you again..
My apologies, tone is poorly communicated via text. If that wasn't your intention I accept your apology. Thank you for the information.
post #36 of 1995 Old 09-22-2015, 08:44 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 782
Quote:
You do know there ARE number buttons that are accessible from the screen?
Well i guess i do now

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890, MX-780, MX-450, MX-500 Remotes.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #37 of 1995 Old 09-22-2015, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
You do know there ARE number buttons that are accessible from the screen?
I think that's a mystery to just about none of the crowd here. It's just that many people prefer buttons that they can type without looking down (I know that's my preference). Why go to a "favorites" list when I can reflexively type in a channel number without looking down? That's not possible without discrete number buttons (or at least is very hit-or-miss).
post #38 of 1995 Old 09-23-2015, 04:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckondo View Post
Looks like a nice improvement over the Ultimate Home Remote. The transport buttons moved below the touchscreen and the removable battery are the 2 things that stand out for me. I wish they would add an Ethernet port to the Hub though.

A little preview I found on YouTube.

http://youtu.be/TId0xpzuJL0
What would be the purpose of adding an ethernet port on the hub?
post #39 of 1995 Old 09-23-2015, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 266
At first I thought this looked promising but they still don't have enough hard buttons.No number buttons, Transport buttons still got the retarded push and hold nonsene, Still have a 15 device limit. If your going to make everything touch screen why even bother making a remote, just use a phone. I'll never teach the non techie people in the house to use this any easier than a phone app.

Is anyone at Logitech even listening to customers anymore?

What about the hub? let me guess, two IR leads only? Any info on it? range?

I'm still wanting to replace my 890 but everything since the 890 and maybe the 900 (that had its issues) has been a flop.

I was really hoping that with the backlash against the one,Ulitmate and Home that this would be the one they got right. I'm getting desperate at this point, my 890 is falling apart.

The 15 device limit kills me. If you have receivers with multple zones, the limit gets chewed up almost instantly. 2 receivers with 3 zones is 6 devices right there. Seperate power amps for theater, toss in a few tvs, all the consoles, a few cable boxes...15 is not even realistic anymore. What about lights, all the house controlled stuff, what is the limit there or that part of the 15?
boe likes this.
post #40 of 1995 Old 09-23-2015, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have the home control remote (non touch, w/ hard # buttons) and I do like hard # buttons. I think I could get past the # buttons missing but I hate the fast forward/30 second skip function. I have a Tivo and I set up my remote so a quick press is 30 second skip and long press is fast forward x1 (repeated long presses speed up the fast forward e.g x2,x3,x4) I find myself having to be very careful when skipping commercials (I will press 3,4 5 times quickly to go a couple minutes ahead) that I don't accidentally hold the button for a millisecond or two too long or what ends up happening is the tivo gets a fast forward x1 command and then when I press the button quickly on subsequent presses it will skip whole 30 minute or hour blocks. Nothing more annoying when watching a football game or race and it magically skips an hour ahead and you see the score or a winner in victory lane I think I would really like this remote if they had separate FF and 30s skip buttons like they used to.
Ron Tobin likes this.
post #41 of 1995 Old 09-23-2015, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmeleon View Post
I have the home control remote (non touch, w/ hard # buttons) and I do like hard # buttons. I think I could get past the # buttons missing but I hate the fast forward/30 second skip function. I have a Tivo and I set up my remote so a quick press is 30 second skip and long press is fast forward x1 (repeated long presses speed up the fast forward e.g x2,x3,x4) I find myself having to be very careful when skipping commercials (I will press 3,4 5 times quickly to go a couple minutes ahead) that I don't accidentally hold the button for a millisecond or two too long or what ends up happening is the tivo gets a fast forward x1 command and then when I press the button quickly on subsequent presses it will skip whole 30 minute or hour blocks. Nothing more annoying when watching a football game or race and it magically skips an hour ahead and you see the score or a winner in victory lane I think I would really like this remote if they had separate FF and 30s skip buttons like they used to.

yeah this is the very thing that will drive my woman nuts and that will drive me up the wall. She will hold the button down too long. My Bell PVR does the same thing. Is there a way to defeat the long button press? I know you'll end up giving up fast forward/rewind (unless you map it somewhere else)

I guess the other option for me is to just finally give up on Harmony, maybe go back to URC, RTI etc. After 10+ years or more of Harmony's that might not go over well either. Harmony just doesn't seem to be listening to their customer base and just doing their own thing. Seem's like a managment team with an ego in charge scenario.

Last edited by newfmp3; 09-23-2015 at 09:52 AM.
post #42 of 1995 Old 09-23-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post
yeah this is the very thing that will drive my woman nuts and that will drive me up the wall. She will hold the button down too long. My Bell PVR does the same thing. Is there a way to defeat the long button press? I know you'll end up giving up fast forward/rewind (unless you map it somewhere else)

I guess the other option for me is to just finally give up on Harmony, maybe go back to URC, RTI etc. After 10+ years or more of Harmony's that might not go over well either.
Oh yes, you can delete the action of rewinding/forwarding from the long press but then you don't have it available. Certainly is an option. And you could always put it in the touch screen favorites instead so you have it when you need it. Good point.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
post #43 of 1995 Old 09-23-2015, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

how about displaying the number keys on the LCD. Can that be set to always be on - obviously once you pick an activity.
post #44 of 1995 Old 09-23-2015, 11:54 AM

If it's like the Harmony One than yes, I'd say you can. But I don't have the Ultimate or Ultimate One or whatever the hell they call the step-up with the touchscreen
post #45 of 1995 Old 09-23-2015, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
At first I thought this looked promising but they still don't have enough hard buttons.No number buttons, Transport buttons still got the retarded push and hold nonsene, Still have a 15 device limit. If your going to make everything touch screen why even bother making a remote, just use a phone. I'll never teach the non techie people in the house to use this any easier than a phone app.

Is anyone at Logitech even listening to customers anymore?

What about the hub? let me guess, two IR leads only? Any info on it? range?

I'm still wanting to replace my 890 but everything since the 890 and maybe the 900 (that had its issues) has been a flop.

I was really hoping that with the backlash against the one,Ulitmate and Home that this would be the one they got right. I'm getting desperate at this point, my 890 is falling apart.

The 15 device limit kills me. If you have receivers with multple zones, the limit gets chewed up almost instantly. 2 receivers with 3 zones is 6 devices right there. Seperate power amps for theater, toss in a few tvs, all the consoles, a few cable boxes...15 is not even realistic anymore. What about lights, all the house controlled stuff, what is the limit there or that part of the 15?
It looks like the hub has the usual 2 outputs for the blasters. a .99 cent splitter makes that a non issue.

I guess I am in the minority here when it comes to wanting MORE buttons and a dedicated number pad...
post #46 of 1995 Old 09-23-2015, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
how about displaying the number keys on the LCD. Can that be set to always be on - obviously once you pick an activity.
Not quite, but in the settings on the remote, you can set it to display the number keys as the opening screen for activities that use it.
post #47 of 1995 Old 09-23-2015, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
What would be the purpose of adding an ethernet port on the hub?
Some people have poor WIFI coverage at the equipment location. I personally don't since I'm using a strong router plus I have an ethernet switch in my AV cabinet. I like to try to keep the WIFI for things like phones, laptops, or tablets. I have installed too many Ultimates where the WIFI goes out at the location of the HUB.
post #48 of 1995 Old 09-23-2015, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Some people have poor WIFI coverage at the equipment location. I personally don't since I'm using a strong router plus I have an ethernet switch in my AV cabinet. I like to try to keep the WIFI for things like phones, laptops, or tablets. I have installed too many Ultimates where the WIFI goes out at the location of the HUB.
I kind of follow you but would would the benefit of hard wiring the hub? The remote does RF to the hub and then the hub fires the blaster, correct? I know I am missing something here..
For updates?
post #49 of 1995 Old 09-23-2015, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
You are correct on the Harmony remote communicating with the basestation via RF. It would help with other Wi-Fi devices that the remote has to control or the remote update that is performed over the air. Plus if anyone changes out a router, you wouldn't have to put in the password on the hub again. Wired is always more reliable.
post #50 of 1995 Old 09-23-2015, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You are correct on the Harmony remote communicating with the basestation via RF. It would help with other Wi-Fi devices that the remote has to control or the remote update that is performed over the air. Plus if anyone changes out a router, you wouldn't have to put in the password on the hub again. Wired is always more reliable.
You preaching to the choir with the "wired is ALWAYS better" with me! I guess I forgot that the remote can control other things via wifi. Actually as I am typing this I wonder if there could be something in my wireless that is giving my insteon control over the hub fits as the insteon part of my ultimate sucks hard...Hmmm
Another thing I am a big fan of is static IP addresses in my network...but that is a little off topic..
post #51 of 1995 Old 09-23-2015, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmeleon View Post

Agreed...separate FF and 30 second skip buttons would be perfect. Personally I remap the red and green buttons for skip back and 30 second skip., and long pressing those buttons actually invokes the colored commands.
kmeleon likes this.
post #52 of 1995 Old 09-23-2015, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmo View Post
Agreed...separate FF and 30 second skip buttons would be perfect. Personally I remap the red and green buttons for skip back and 30 second skip., and long pressing those buttons actually invokes the colored commands.
That's a good idea. Or what about remapping the stop and record buttons to skip forward and skip backwards? Stop doesn't do anything on my DVR and if I really want to record the current show, I can always press info and then select record from the menu on the TV screen.

But I agree, they really should have separate skip buttons.

Dave
post #53 of 1995 Old 09-24-2015, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmo View Post
Good thinking, I may just do the same thing!

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
post #54 of 1995 Old 09-24-2015, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealDeal View Post
That's a good idea. Or what about remapping the stop and record buttons to skip forward and skip backwards? Stop doesn't do anything on my DVR and if I really want to record the current show, I can always press info and then select record from the menu on the TV screen.

But I agree, they really should have separate skip buttons.

Dave
That's a good idea too, especially since the Pause command works as "stop" on Comcast DVRs. I like to use the colored buttons since it's lower on the remote on the Ultimate/Touch (easier for my hands to reach), and the feel of those buttons are different enough to easily find it in the dark (since they are so slim/narrow). I really don't like to use those buttons above the screen due to the awkward reach, and I will be first in line once the Elite comes out! I bought the Touch when it first came out (no haptic, no wake up light), so I am eager to get those features on the new version.

Additionally on my Touch/Ultimate, I created a 2.5 minute macro to skip forward using the screen gestures (I use Up/Down to go forward or back 2.5 minutes), and then left/right gestures for skip back/forward 30 seconds (in addition to having the colored buttons do the skip back and forward). Depends on my mood which one I want to use I don't think macros can be assigned though to the colored or any hard buttons (otherwise I would want to also use the green and blue buttons for the 2.5 minutes skip forward/back). To clarify - the 2.5 minutes feature has to be "created" by basically creating a macro to invoke the 30 second skip 5 times (since Comcast only allows you to have one type of "skip" which I define for me as 30 seconds).
post #55 of 1995 Old 09-25-2015, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
looks like it is available to order from the Logitech site
post #56 of 1995 Old 09-28-2015, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

woo hoo! Just got shipping notice for my Elite from Harmony. Should be here Wednesday. Excited and scared all at the same time! :-)
post #57 of 1995 Old 09-28-2015, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Yawn. I've had mine for months.
RadYOacTve and mecmec like this.
post #58 of 1995 Old 09-29-2015, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
Yawn. I've had mine for months.
beta tester? If so are you free to post yet? If so, WHy haven't you! I need more info on the pros and cons vs the Ultimate..
RadYOacTve likes this.
post #59 of 1995 Old 09-29-2015, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The NDA was only recently lifted.

I prefer the Elite to the Ultimate for 2 main reasons.

(1) The transport buttons are below the touch screen. This reduces accidental touches of the screen and makes the buttons easier to reach.

(2) There are hard buttons for home automation devices. So it's way easier to control lights and such. In particular, this is a huge improvement over the Ultimate's clunky Hue lighting control. Notice the 2 light bulb buttons and 2 power-socket buttons. These are all programmable for both short and long presses. Between them is a +/- rocker useful for dimming/brightening lights.

Oh, and user-generated labels on the touch screen are mixed case, a welcome change from the ugly all-caps on the Ultimate.

What's not so great is uneven backlighting of the buttons. A few of the buttons are dimmer than the others. In particular, the Activities and Devices buttons are too dim on my unit. These are "soft hard" buttons, so with the dim backlighting, they are difficult to find. Hopefully, this was a symptom of my beta hardware and fixed on production units.

I'm probably not the best user to review this remote. My home theater system is pretty simple, so I didn't really push the capabilities of the Elite. The only home automation devices I have are Hue lights. I think folks with lots of HA devices will find the Elite a big improvement.
isrararrafi likes this.
post #60 of 1995 Old 09-29-2015, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The Elite is the same as the Ultimate in this respect. For each device, you choose whether to control it from the hub/blasters or from the remote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page