261Likes

post #61 of 1994 Old 09-29-2015, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
The Elite is the same as the Ultimate in this respect. For each device, you choose whether to control it from the hub/blasters or from the remote.

Good to know, thank you. I remember when the original harmony ultimate was released there was one reviewer who stated that it didn't do IR from the remote itself, only from the hub (I remember this because I specifically did not purchase it for that reason). I subsequently purchased the ultimate home after confirming it did IR from the remote and hub. The Elite looks like a winner! I'm ordering one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1994 Old 09-29-2015, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevordj View Post
I remember when the original harmony ultimate was released there was one reviewer who stated that it didn't do IR from the remote itself, only from the hub (I remember this because I specifically did not purchase it for that reason).
That reviewer was simply wrong. I have the original Ultimate and it has always transmitted IR.
trevordj and mecmec like this.
post #63 of 1994 Old 09-29-2015, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 187
bweissman,
Since your NDA is lifted any tips, tricks, or pitfalls I should expect when dealing with the elite? Is set up similar to the Ultimate? I was super stoked to grab one at 30% off along with a mx master mouse I had been coveting, but I am always leery of a new release product...

post #64 of 1994 Old 09-29-2015, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecmec View Post
bweissman,
Since your NDA is lifted any tips, tricks, or pitfalls I should expect when dealing with the elite? Is set up similar to the Ultimate? I was super stoked to grab one at 30% off along with a mx master mouse I had been coveting, but I am always leery of a new release product...
The Elite is very similar to the Ultimate. I think you'll find it pretty stable; it went through a pretty long and thorough beta cycle. There are still some things I can't talk about publicly, but I can say that IMHO the firmware gets better with each release, so don't be afraid to let the Elite update its firmware when it prompts you to do so. Which it almost certainly will immediately after you unbox it.

I did find some of the setup didn't transfer from Ultimate to Elite when I tried using MyHarmony to copy the settings. All the Devices & Activities transferred fine, but I did have a fair amount of manual setup to get the hard and soft buttons properly assigned. This may be fixed by now, I don't know since I'm already set up.
post #65 of 1994 Old 09-30-2015, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
15 devices how???

can anyone tell me how the elite can control 15 devices, have asked Logitech but no reply. I just bought a smart hub and remote and use the android app but I am limited to 8 devices is there a difference in the hubs? I found the app quite handy and have not used the supplied smart remote at all so I don't want to pay all the extra for a remote I might not use.
post #66 of 1994 Old 10-01-2015, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas69 View Post
can anyone tell me how the elite can control 15 devices, have asked Logitech but no reply. I just bought a smart hub and remote and use the android app but I am limited to 8 devices is there a difference in the hubs? I found the app quite handy and have not used the supplied smart remote at all so I don't want to pay all the extra for a remote I might not use.
Because the hub and smart remote is limited to 8 devices. If you want more than that, you need to step up to the Ultimate or Elite.
post #67 of 1994 Old 10-01-2015, 05:54 AM
Advanced Member

My first experiences with the Elite are a bit frustrating. A crap ton of my settings that were "copied" over (from ultimate) were...well...NOT... and I have to redo a bunch of activities and button layouts on almost ALL of my devices. I only had a little bit of time to play with it last night so going to do more tonight. I also do not see any way to pair a keyboard or a smart companion remote to it either, but that may be on me just being tired. Transport buttons being moved is great but as I got used to NOT using them on my Ultimate, I am finding it hard to go back to using them! :-)
post #68 of 1994 Old 10-01-2015, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
My first experiences with the Elite are a bit frustrating. A crap ton of my settings that were "copied" over (from ultimate) were...well...NOT... and I have to redo a bunch of activities and button layouts on almost ALL of my devices. I only had a little bit of time to play with it last night so going to do more tonight. I also do not see any way to pair a keyboard or a smart companion remote to it either, but that may be on me just being tired. Transport buttons being moved is great but as I got used to NOT using them on my Ultimate, I am finding it hard to go back to using them! :-)
The big question, does this have the horrible delay when trying to scroll through things on Kodi and WMC? I purchased a Harmony One and Harmony Touch in the past. Both of them were AWFUL when trying to scroll fast through a long list of movies/tv shows. I have a cheap 15 dollar Media Center remote that I got from Amazon that blows it away. It's been a known flaw in the Harmony remotes for years. Have they finally fixed this? If not, there's not a chance in hell I'm giving them my money anymore.
post #69 of 1994 Old 10-01-2015, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Can't help you on that wmc question, but for those wondering about pairing a keyboard I received a response fromharmony that it will be available in an upcoming software update. Fabulous...less functionality for more money..
post #70 of 1994 Old 10-01-2015, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by likelinus View Post
The big question, does this have the horrible delay when trying to scroll through things on Kodi and WMC? I purchased a Harmony One and Harmony Touch in the past. Both of them were AWFUL when trying to scroll fast through a long list of movies/tv shows. I have a cheap 15 dollar Media Center remote that I got from Amazon that blows it away. It's been a known flaw in the Harmony remotes for years. Have they finally fixed this? If not, there's not a chance in hell I'm giving them my money anymore.
I haven't noticed that problem with Kodi and the Ultimate Home. Of course, for scrolling through multiple pages I tend to use page up/page down. When scrolling with the arrow commands I haven't noticed a delay at all.
post #71 of 1994 Old 10-01-2015, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

On the scrolling issue, I frequently scroll through huge lists of ISO files with my old Ultimate and have no isssues. Once I get the Elite up and fully running, I will report back on its performance but I would ASSume it to be the same. Of course, I ASSumed I could pair my keyboard and companion remote to the Elite and we see how that turned out for me...
post #72 of 1994 Old 10-02-2015, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
how's the battery life? how often would you need to charge it?
post #73 of 1994 Old 10-02-2015, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by likelinus View Post
I'm very curious about this as well. What harmony desperately needs is IP control for Kodi (like RTI has), that would solve the problem once and for all. For now my solution to 0 delay button presses has been to add a bluetooth receiver to my kodi machine and pair the hub to it, the result is instant button press response (with a harmony smart control at least).

Does anyone know if this new remote brings any additional IP control? My pioneer receiver is currently controlled via IP from my RTI remote and giving that up and going back to IR would be like returning to the stone age after escaping it!
post #74 of 1994 Old 10-02-2015, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by touser View Post
Does anyone know if this new remote brings any additional IP control? My pioneer receiver is currently controlled via IP from my RTI remote and giving that up and going back to IR would be like returning to the stone age after escaping it!
Yes, the Elite can control some devices via IP. You may have to use the mobile app to find the settings. Try

Menu
Harmony Setup
Add/Edit Devices & Activities
Devices
Add Device
Scan for Wi-Fi devices

(That last command is a misnomer, I believe; it finds hard-wired devices on my network, too.)

When I do this, it finds my Apple TV and my Marantz pre/pro. I haven't tried controlling either via IP. What are the advantages of doing so?
Weaselboy likes this.
post #75 of 1994 Old 10-02-2015, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
I haven't tried controlling either via IP. What are the advantages of doing so?
Excellent, I'm out of town right now but just for kicks connected to my harmony hub at home and had it scan for wifi devices and my pioneer receiver showed up! It did not show up last time I ran the scan a few months ago, so it's looking like logitech is actually improving their IP support! I look forward to testing it when I get home.

There are many advantages to IP control over IR, mainly speed and reliability. Its a two way system, so you never have missed commands with no way to verify them. In the case of my pioneer receiever I can blast commands at it almost as fast as I want (50ms delay is what I use). It has reduced the amount of time it takes for my receiver to turn on and switch to the correct mode/inputs from ~15 seconds to maybe 2-3 seconds.
post #76 of 1994 Old 10-03-2015, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by touser View Post
Excellent, I'm out of town right now but just for kicks connected to my harmony hub at home and had it scan for wifi devices and my pioneer receiver showed up! It did not show up last time I ran the scan a few months ago, so it's looking like logitech is actually improving their IP support! I look forward to testing it when I get home.

There are many advantages to IP control over IR, mainly speed and reliability. Its a two way system, so you never have missed commands with no way to verify them. In the case of my pioneer receiever I can blast commands at it almost as fast as I want (50ms delay is what I use). It has reduced the amount of time it takes for my receiver to turn on and switch to the correct mode/inputs from ~15 seconds to maybe 2-3 seconds.
Don't get too excited...I just did a search for devices on the Elite and while it found the Denon 4520 it did NOT allow me to control it via the network. Interesting to note that it did NOT find the Denon 5200 which is on the same network. The only device it allows me to control via IP is my roku 2..
post #77 of 1994 Old 10-03-2015, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My house is wired with cat5e, and pretty much all of my A/V components are networked via ethernet. At least a dozen throughout the house. My Elite only found 2 of them during WiFi scan.

It probably can't see components which are turned off, which probably also means it can't power them on via IP. I do have a handful of components which keep their network interfaces on during standby, and only one of those was found. So it may be that this feature isn't fully baked. This would be a good question to ask at the Harmony forum.
post #78 of 1994 Old 10-03-2015, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
My house is wired with cat5e, and pretty much all of my A/V components are networked via ethernet. At least a dozen throughout the house. My Elite only found 2 of them during WiFi scan.

It probably can't see components which are turned off, which probably also means it can't power them on via IP. I do have a handful of components which keep their network interfaces on during standby, and only one of those was found. So it may be that this feature isn't fully baked. This would be a good question to ask at the Harmony forum.
Same here. Anything that is capable of being wired IS wired. The 4520 it found has zero response to the elite while turned on or turned off. Same with the Sony TV it found on my "wireless" network. The only thing that DOES pop up is a notice that my ROKU 2 can be controlled via IP, but that is it...
Currently hard wired into my av network is:
denon 5200
denon 4520
appletv
roku 2
oppo 103d
oppo 103
dune duo
netgear 550
pch 200
tivo 1
tivo 2
directv hddvr 1
directv hddvr 2
htpc
chromebox

and probably a few more things i am not remembering off the top of my head. Scanning with the Elite found three. denon 4520, roku 2 and the sony tv..
post #79 of 1994 Old 10-05-2015, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
bweissman,
Mecmec,

How were you able to get 30% off?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
post #80 of 1994 Old 10-05-2015, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Programmable buttons ?

Are the 6 buttons located at the bottom of the Elite, which are designed for home control, fully programmable like the rest of the Elite buttons ?
post #81 of 1994 Old 10-05-2015, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnculp View Post
Are the 6 buttons located at the bottom of the Elite, which are designed for home control, fully programmable like the rest of the Elite buttons ?
Yes, but those are the only buttons you can assign to home automation devices. And if you re-map the +/- rocker, the other 4 buttons can no longer be assigned to HA devices.
bnculp likes this.
post #82 of 1994 Old 10-05-2015, 10:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Just got mine today! Wow...LOVE this thing. Such a huge improvement over the Touch (which didn't have haptic or tilt sensor for auto lighting of buttons). If you have a Touch, definitely upgrade. And having the transport controls below the screen is so very nice and so very natural. Thank you, Logitech! The screen is amazing too...very crisp with the icons (favorites look great), and much more responsive with everything. I know it's a lot of money (gulp), but I'm happy. Very very happy
post #83 of 1994 Old 10-05-2015, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 24
$350 for a remote? Nah, you guys have fun.
post #84 of 1994 Old 10-06-2015, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by cprawks View Post
Too bad there are no hard buttons for the numbers.
Agreed. I cannot believe Harmony still doesn't get it and continues down this path. A touch screen has its place for many functions, but NOT for numbers. I had one remote with touch screen numbers and none of my family could stand it because we constantly had to look at the screen to see where our fingers needed to touch.

Why do you think the Harmony 650 continues to be one of the top sellers at Amazon over their newer remotes?
post #85 of 1994 Old 10-06-2015, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post
Agreed. I cannot believe Harmony still doesn't get it and continues down this path. A touch screen has its place for many functions, but NOT for numbers. I had one remote with touch screen numbers and none of my family could stand it because we constantly had to look at the screen to see where our fingers needed to touch.

Why do you think the Harmony 650 continues to be one of the top sellers at Amazon over their newer remotes?
The 650 is one of the best remote that I've owned. I've had many Harmony remotes, including the 880, and the One. They were all poorly built. 650 has been a solid remote and it takes a beating in my house. Great remote.

No longer looking straight into a flashlight. Calibrate!
2014 Vizio P60 1.3.26-UHD Settings.
post #86 of 1994 Old 10-06-2015, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Going to pick mine up right now. I will have a newish Harmony Ultimate Home Ed. up for grabs at a good price. Hit me up. I will post it at the FS forum.

SOUND: 7.2 via Marantz AV8802A | Wyred4Sound monoblocks + Halo A51 | Paradigm 100'sV5, ADP590'sV5, 690v5, 20v5's | Dual SVS SB16-ULTRA Subs
VIDEO:
SONY OLED 65A1E | OPPO UDP-203 and SONY UBP X800 UHD Blu Ray Players
- 40TB of Blu ray .iso's in a Synology DS1815+ controlled by a Dune Solo 4K
- HTPC/Gaming Rig:
Silverstone CW02B, Core i7-5820K, ASUS X99-A, 16GB, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING ACX 3.0, Auzen HDMI XFi
post #87 of 1994 Old 10-06-2015, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 18
If you don't want home control, which remote would you recommend?
post #88 of 1994 Old 10-06-2015, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Of course I bought an Ultimate Home just a couple of months ago .

Anyone know if the Hub and Charger are the same.

And if so, does Logitech intend to sell the remote separately so we Ultimate owners can upgrade and save a few bucks?
post #89 of 1994 Old 10-06-2015, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie willers View Post
Of course I bought an Ultimate Home just a couple of months ago .

Anyone know if the Hub and Charger are the same.

And if so, does Logitech intend to sell the remote separately so we Ultimate owners can upgrade and save a few bucks?
The hubs are not exactly the same. The old one is branded Harmony and the new one is branded Logitech. Aside from that, I believe they're identical.

I am starting to see signs of a new remote called the Harmony 950, which looks very much like an Elite without a hub. I can not tell for certain from the available information whether the 950 can be paired with a hub. My guess would be that it could, but I can't say for sure.
post #90 of 1994 Old 10-06-2015, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Yep....that 950 looks to be what I was thinking. I'll keep my eye on it and....thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page