Forum Jump: 
 259Likes

post #1621 of 1985 Old 05-12-2017, 12:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 186
@Sweetmeat , we did it! But you first. And you know what? It did take having the JVC turn off last, in my case at least. When I tried your initial fix, I ended up with the turn-off confirmation for the pro, and it just stayed onscreen. For whatever reason, it's the Shield that's causing the issue....When I added that extremely long delay, and changed to JVC turning off last, it works!

It's almost 2:30 in the morning, and I'm up tinkering with this stuff!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Sweetmeat likes this.

Equipment List: Theater - JVC DLA-X770R / Denon X4300H / Oppo 203 4K BD Player / Polk Audio RTiA9 Towers / Polk CSiA6 Center / Polk 65RT (6), FXi5 (2) Atmos and Surrounds / (4) Polk PSW505 12" Subs / Black Flame Painted Screen Wall / Nvidia Shield TV / Dish Hopper 3 - 4K/ XBOX One S / Harmony Elite / Echo Dot / Tripp Lite USB / Furman Conditioner / Philips Hue Lighting / Monoprice Cabling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 1985 Old 05-12-2017, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Here are my settings for my Nvidia Shield & JVC Projector and it all works... takes awhile for things to shut off, but it does all shut off...

The Device settings are on the Left hand side, the Activity Settings are on the right.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HarmonyEliteSettingsNvidiaProjector.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	2132353  
Ronman79 and Sweetmeat like this.
post #1623 of 1985 Old 05-12-2017, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
Here are my settings for my Nvidia Shield & JVC Projector and it all works... takes awhile for things to shut off, but it does all shut off...

The Device settings are on the Left hand side, the Activity Settings are on the right.
Way to go, and thanks for the help! Finally got mine to turn off....Different settings, but same overkill strategy.
Sweetmeat likes this.

Equipment List: Theater - JVC DLA-X770R / Denon X4300H / Oppo 203 4K BD Player / Polk Audio RTiA9 Towers / Polk CSiA6 Center / Polk 65RT (6), FXi5 (2) Atmos and Surrounds / (4) Polk PSW505 12" Subs / Black Flame Painted Screen Wall / Nvidia Shield TV / Dish Hopper 3 - 4K/ XBOX One S / Harmony Elite / Echo Dot / Tripp Lite USB / Furman Conditioner / Philips Hue Lighting / Monoprice Cabling

post #1624 of 1985 Old 05-12-2017, 07:40 PM
pjp
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I'm having a very strange problem upgrading to a Harmony Elite for a theater with an Emotiva UMC-200. When I select any activity, it doesn't set the input correctly. For example, the "Watch TV" should select "HDMI 1" on the Emotiva -- that's what it is set to in the Activity setup, but it seems to select a CD input instead. When I go into "help" for the Emotiva inputs, it rotates through sound mode rather than inputs when I hit the "next" input button.

If I select the UMC-200 device and hit "HDMI 1", it works fine, but input selection doesn't work at all from within the activity. I'm certain the Activity is correctly set up, but it doesn't do what the Activity definition says.

Has anybody else seen this problem?
post #1625 of 1985 Old 05-12-2017, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2476 Post(s)
Liked: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
I'm having a very strange problem upgrading to a Harmony Elite for a theater with an Emotiva UMC-200. When I select any activity, it doesn't set the input correctly. For example, the "Watch TV" should select "HDMI 1" on the Emotiva -- that's what it is set to in the Activity setup, but it seems to select a CD input instead. When I go into "help" for the Emotiva inputs, it rotates through sound mode rather than inputs when I hit the "next" input button.

If I select the UMC-200 device and hit "HDMI 1", it works fine, but input selection doesn't work at all from within the activity. I'm certain the Activity is correctly set up, but it doesn't do what the Activity definition says.

Has anybody else seen this problem?
Sounds a lot like another issue with CEC being enabled on one or more devices.
pjp and Sweetmeat like this.
post #1626 of 1985 Old 05-13-2017, 11:10 AM
pjp
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Sounds a lot like another issue with CEC being enabled on one or more devices.
Thank you -- this has helped a lot. I don't know why CEC was an issue with the Elite when it wasn't an issue with the 880 and Harmony One before it, but turning off all CEC controls in the Emotiva did allow it to work better.

I still have an issue, however. While activity input switching now works with CEC disabled in the Emotiva, the WAY it switches seems really stupid. Instead of using the direct HDMI commands, which the 880 and Harmony One did by default (so Harmony's database knows the Emotiva supports direct input commands), it seems to default to sequencing through inputs. When I change an activity using HDMI 1 to another using HDMI 4, it slowly sequences through HDMI 2, 3 instead of switching directly.

I don't know why the Harmony device database doesn't know to use direct inputs on the Elite when it knew to use them on the 880 and Harmony One. I did try going into the Emotiva device configuration to change input type to direct inputs, but when I do that it wants me to map labels to each of the Emotiva inputs. I really don't understand why I need to define labels for the Emotiva inputs when it already seems to know what the exact Emotiva inputs the inputs are and I'm not sure what I should do to label them. Please advise how to set up the direct inputs -- I have attached a screen shot of the device input menu -- none of this makes any sense to me.

So far, I am very unhappy with the Elite config process just because the most basic things that worked automatically on older Harmony don't work on the Elite without a bunch of fiddling of settings as described above.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-05-13 at 2.05.30 PM.png
Views:	54
Size:	228.3 KB
ID:	2134353  
post #1627 of 1985 Old 05-13-2017, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Thank you -- this has helped a lot. I don't know why CEC was an issue with the Elite when it wasn't an issue with the 880 and Harmony One before it, but turning off all CEC controls in the Emotiva did allow it to work better.

I still have an issue, however. While activity input switching now works with CEC disabled in the Emotiva, the WAY it switches seems really stupid. Instead of using the direct HDMI commands, which the 880 and Harmony One did by default (so Harmony's database knows the Emotiva supports direct input commands), it seems to default to sequencing through inputs. When I change an activity using HDMI 1 to another using HDMI 4, it slowly sequences through HDMI 2, 3 instead of switching directly.

I don't know why the Harmony device database doesn't know to use direct inputs on the Elite when it knew to use them on the 880 and Harmony One. I did try going into the Emotiva device configuration to change input type to direct inputs, but when I do that it wants me to map labels to each of the Emotiva inputs. I really don't understand why I need to define labels for the Emotiva inputs when it already seems to know what the exact Emotiva inputs the inputs are and I'm not sure what I should do to label them. Please advise how to set up the direct inputs -- I have attached a screen shot of the device input menu -- none of this makes any sense to me.

So far, I am very unhappy with the Elite config process just because the most basic things that worked automatically on older Harmony don't work on the Elite without a bunch of fiddling of settings as described above.
there's a setting on how the input switching is done in the remote. just change that to direct. It's probably sending the "next input" command.
pjp likes this.

Sony xbr65x850c Side Blooming test clips:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...br65x850c.xlsx
post #1628 of 1985 Old 05-13-2017, 03:13 PM
pjp
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp787 View Post
there's a setting on how the input switching is done in the remote. just change that to direct. It's probably sending the "next input" command.
There is. When I went to the Emotiva device input settings, I could select the separate button for each input option. I did eventually get it to work, but it took about 20 minutes to figure out how to set it up because I had to do "Fix an Input" for each Emotiva input and then delete ones that couldn't be mapped before it would save the configuration. I could not figure out how to map the 7.1 and TV inputs, so I had to delete those (fortunately I wasn't using them).

I did get it to work, but I am completely baffled about the following:

1. Why it didn't default to using direct input commands to start with (since the 880 and One did that and it makes common sense, it's crazy to default to sequential mode)

2. Why is the button setup so complicated that I need to "Fix an Input" on each when again the 880 and One just worked (and the Elite menu clearly knew which inputs the Emotiva had, but I had to "fix" them anyway)
post #1629 of 1985 Old 05-13-2017, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There is. When I went to the Emotiva device input settings, I could select the separate button for each input option. I did eventually get it to work, but it took about 20 minutes to figure out how to set it up because I had to do "Fix an Input" for each Emotiva input and then delete ones that couldn't be mapped before it would save the configuration. I could not figure out how to map the 7.1 and TV inputs, so I had to delete those (fortunately I wasn't using them).

I did get it to work, but I am completely baffled about the following:

1. Why it didn't default to using direct input commands to start with (since the 880 and One did that and it makes common sense, it's crazy to default to sequential mode)

2. Why is the button setup so complicated that I need to "Fix an Input" on each when again the 880 and One just worked (and the Elite menu clearly knew which inputs the Emotiva had, but I had to "fix" them anyway)
are you using the windows desktop app or the phone app to set it up?

Mine defaulted to direct input for all of my devices. I used the desktop app. I'm not sure what you mean by the 7.1 and TV inputs, though.

post #1630 of 1985 Old 05-14-2017, 07:32 AM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Hey guys, decided to finally join the Harmony club and just bought the Elite, a companion remote (afraid the kids will drop the Elite!), and an Amazon Dot Echo.

Won't get it for a few weeks when my parents come back from Florida, but wanted to start the setup routine as well as ensure I have all the IR emitters I need.

Below is a pic of my family room, but essentially what I'd like to control are:

1. OLED B6 - B65 (will need an IR emitter that is about 20 feet long)
2. Integra 80.3
3. Cable box (in same cupboard as Integra)
4. Beelink Android Box (same cupboard as Integra)
5. Sony Bluray player (in cupboard across from Integra, will need a 20 foot long emitter)
6. Sonos in-ceiling system for ambiance music throughout house
7. Some GE light switches controlled via a Vera device
8. Ring Door bell
9. Chromecast Ultra

I'm hoping with the Amazon Dot Echo I can turn the TV on, off, etc with voice control via the Harmony setup. As well as control the Sonos system.

A few questions:

1. Will any 3.5mm IR emitter work with the Harmony? As I think I may have some that are ~15-20 feet long.
2. Do I need the Harmony extender to work with the light switches?
3. Looks like I also need the extender to work with the Ring Doorbell...what exactly would this allow me to do?

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

Last edited by pbc; 05-14-2017 at 07:59 AM.
post #1631 of 1985 Old 05-14-2017, 07:47 AM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

oh...and is it possible to start the setup without actually having the unit? Seems I can't use the software without connecting first to the hub.

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #1632 of 1985 Old 05-14-2017, 05:26 PM
pjp
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp787 View Post
are you using the windows desktop app or the phone app to set it up?

Mine defaulted to direct input for all of my devices. I used the desktop app. I'm not sure what you mean by the 7.1 and TV inputs, though.
I'm using the MyHarmony program running on a Mac desktop. It's really weird that it defaulted to sequential input switching. The 7.1 and TV inputs refer to specific inputs on the Emotiva -- 7.1 is direct input of 7.1 sources and "TV" is another input but I don't remember exactly how it works. I'm not currently using either of those inputs, so it's not an impediment for me, but it seems like it would be an issue if I needed those inputs.

In general, I think the MyHarmony program is really very good and easy to use, but the input sequency default for my Emotiva is really weird and the "Fix an Input" steps required to use direct are truly bizarre. The CEC issue I mentioned a few posts ago was also really weird, since there were no CEC interaction issues with the 880 and Harmony One before it, but I guess that's more due to something in the Elite remote instead of the MyHarmony software.
post #1633 of 1985 Old 05-14-2017, 06:16 PM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

BTW, could anyone confirm the length of the IR emitters/blaster that comes with the Elite?

Quote:

post #1634 of 1985 Old 05-15-2017, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 301
I have a JVC projector, and as of now, I need to use my IR on my Elite Remote to work it.

I would prefer use the Hub, which is in a different room. I have Cat6 running from that room, up to the projector. Is there a way I can use that Cat 6 to connect it into one of the two Hub IR Blaster ports? I basically think I need to somehow 'splice' a connector onto the Hub side that will connect into the hub, and onto the other side of the cat-6, splice an IR emitter.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
post #1635 of 1985 Old 05-15-2017, 07:52 AM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
I have a JVC projector, and as of now, I need to use my IR on my Elite Remote to work it.

I would prefer use the Hub, which is in a different room. I have Cat6 running from that room, up to the projector. Is there a way I can use that Cat 6 to connect it into one of the two Hub IR Blaster ports? I basically think I need to somehow 'splice' a connector onto the Hub side that will connect into the hub, and onto the other side of the cat-6, splice an IR emitter.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
I think this post covers what you're trying to do...

Extending Harmony IR mini blasters
kmhvball likes this.

Quote:

post #1636 of 1985 Old 05-24-2017, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Can anyone comment on how the bufferring/quesing is on the Elite? I had a harmony one previously, and there was a big lag between key presses. Here's what the logitech rep told me at the time:

"With all Harmony remotes there is a set 50ms to 100ms delay that happens between any and all commands due to it being to the way we implement the codes on the remote. Therefore it will almost never get down to a true 0ms delay as a hard-coded and built OEM remote is. This buffering (or queuing up) of commands cannot be controlled. It's just the way the hardware, firmware and software of the remote interact. In later Harmony models we were able to improve that internal delay starting from the 1100, to the 900, 700 and now 650, 600 & 300. Unfortunately, the prior line of remotes up to and including the Harmony One are more prone to noticing these "buffering" or bursting of commands."

Trying to decide between another URC or try the harmony

Selling in AVS Classifieds
Salk Songtower RT (RAAL)
URC MX-880 Remotes

post #1637 of 1985 Old 05-25-2017, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just bought the Elite this past weekend at Best Buy with the trade-in program for $100 off of the original price so I paid $249. Couldn't get them take off from the sale price of $199 (tried 2 different stores).

I have it set up via direct IR port to my Sony TV, Yamaha receiver, and OPPO Bluray player. The Xfinity cable box via IR blaster (from the hub) and Fire TV stick via bluetooth. It all works extremely well and really happy about it, especially the direct IR IN ports.

I wish everything has IR IN port.

I had to make custom IR cable and bought the 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter from monoprice but it is all worth it.

I also connected it to my Ecobee thermostats in the house.

QUESTION: which switch should I buy that I can BOTH connect to Harmony Elite AND wifi/Alexa?
post #1638 of 1985 Old 05-25-2017, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuibap View Post
Just bought the Elite this past weekend at Best Buy with the trade-in program for $100 off of the original price so I paid $249. Couldn't get them take off from the sale price of $199 (tried 2 different stores).

I have it set up via direct IR port to my Sony TV, Yamaha receiver, and OPPO Bluray player. The Xfinity cable box via IR blaster (from the hub) and Fire TV stick via bluetooth. It all works extremely well and really happy about it, especially the direct IR IN ports.

I wish everything has IR IN port.

I had to make custom IR cable and bought the 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter from monoprice but it is all worth it.

I also connected it to my Ecobee thermostats in the house.

QUESTION: which switch should I buy that I can BOTH connect to Harmony Elite AND wifi/Alexa?

I'm about to set up a similar harmony setup. Can you please speak more to the Direct IR connections and the way you split the hub? I'm aware there are only 2x 2.5mm ir ports on the hub.

Can you please provide a photo or diagram of how you split it out?

Many thanks! Sounds like you're got a great setup!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1639 of 1985 Old 05-26-2017, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob 99 View Post
I'm about to set up a similar harmony setup. Can you please speak more to the Direct IR connections and the way you split the hub? I'm aware there are only 2x 2.5mm ir ports on the hub.

Can you please provide a photo or diagram of how you split it out?

Many thanks! Sounds like you're got a great setup!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bought the following:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This one is for Sony TV but I bought a single jack at Frys

https://www.amazon.com/Uxcell-10-Pie...ds=stereo+jack

2.5mm to 3.5mm mono adapter

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7154

Cut the IR Emitter Extender Extension Cable at the 4 IR emitters and solder it using the mono jack. Make sure tip goes to tip and ground goes to ground. Use meter to make sure you solder correct wire. For Sony TV, use the stereo jack but DO NOT do anything with the ring, tip goes to tip and ground goes to ground.

The IR Emitter Extender Extension Cable is very thin so be careful but should work fine.

Last edited by cuibap; 05-26-2017 at 08:42 AM.
post #1640 of 1985 Old 05-28-2017, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Hi Guys,

I just purchased one of these and set it up tonight. Does anyone know if it's possible to add a picture preset as a step in an activity? Example, on my TV I have 2 picture presets: Cinema and Game. If I have an activity set up to watch a blu-ray, can I add a step to change the picture setting to Cinema? I can see there are command options, but they are basically replicating the buttons. This won't really work for me, as if I use arrow commands to select what I want, it won't always select the right thing as the TV remembers the last picture setting used. I need the Harmony remote to actually select that specific setting.

Whilst I can just change the picture setting manually afterwards, I'm trying to make this as simple for my fiance as possible, as I will be using this on a 4K projector soon and will have different picture presets for 4K blu-rays, regular blu-rays and gaming, so I just want to be able to map each picture setting to each activity.
post #1641 of 1985 Old 05-28-2017, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
Hi Guys,

I just purchased one of these and set it up tonight. Does anyone know if it's possible to add a picture preset as a step in an activity? Example, on my TV I have 2 picture presets: Cinema and Game. If I have an activity set up to watch a blu-ray, can I add a step to change the picture setting to Cinema? I can see there are command options, but they are basically replicating the buttons. This won't really work for me, as if I use arrow commands to select what I want, it won't always select the right thing as the TV remembers the last picture setting used. I need the Harmony remote to actually select that specific setting.

Whilst I can just change the picture setting manually afterwards, I'm trying to make this as simple for my fiance as possible, as I will be using this on a 4K projector soon and will have different picture presets for 4K blu-rays, regular blu-rays and gaming, so I just want to be able to map each picture setting to each activity.
No, the Harmony can only really simulate what you do pushing buttons on a real remote control. It can't do magic.

(I too tried creating a custom button to do the proper switching of devices and then go through the scroll-type pick lists my TV has for picture presets. As others have also said upthread, one can get it to work SOME of the time, but not with 100% accuracy. The fundamental issue IMHO is with pick lists that require cursor movement to accomplish, the button logic you create on any universal remote won't always work, depending upon where that pick-list begins each time, and some TVs not being consistently responsive in their interaction with remotes, so you have to put more delays in the universal remote between button interactions and depending on your device, ensure the whole time you keep everything pointed where it needs to be so part of the sequence isn't lost. I really don't consider this a Harmony issue, but rather an issue where the TVs don't have codes established for each preset. I deleted my custom button after several attempts at modifying it. It was harder for me to figure out how my devices were sometimes messed-up in their configuration and manually put them as they should be, than just either not change the picture setting (which is simpler for others) or manually go in and change it when I decide to. Good luck!)

Bert (09-10-2017: I am no longer actively monitoring this thread)
Denon AVR-X4300H | Sony XBR-55A1E OLED | Def Tech 7.2: Mythos 2 *2, Mythos 3, DI 6.5R *4, SC4000 *2 | OPPO UDP-203 | Apple TV 4th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV (16GB 2017) | DirecTV (1080) HR44 & C51 | Panamax M5300-PM | AC Infinity T8 | Logitech Harmony Elite | BJC & Monoprice Cables | CalMAN Home Enthusiast, i1Pro2, C6-HDR2000, Murideo Six-G
post #1642 of 1985 Old 05-28-2017, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2476 Post(s)
Liked: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
Hi Guys,

Sounds like you need to make a macro, but without explicit picture mode commands it will be impossible. That's on the TV maker, not Harmony. Check in the dedicated thread for your TV model and see if anyone knows of commands. Sometimes a different model will have commands that work.
post #1643 of 1985 Old 05-28-2017, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Question - I have an activity to turn on the TV to the SmartTV mode, (vs other HDMI inputs.) I want to have the SONY TV select the 'Home' button as a last step in the power on process. This Home button basically brings up the main SmartTV menu. The Home button appears in the Elite's screen and is what I have to touch manually, as a last step, every time I start this activity.
My problem is, in the Harmony web activity builder thing, I don't see an option to add a button press after any of the device power on sequences.
I pretty much see device power-on order, input selections and that's it. -No ability to add a button at the end of the sequence.

Any ideas?

It's like I'm missing a whole area of Activity customization in the web UI. I've never seen this since I've had the Elite. Vs when I had multiple Ones.

HTPC | 12TB NAS | Harmony Elite | DENON X4200W | Sony XBR75X940D
Philips BDP7501 | Klipsch RF7II,RC64II,CDT5650CII | SVS SB2000 x2

Last edited by Brahmzy; 05-28-2017 at 08:57 AM.
post #1644 of 1985 Old 05-28-2017, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahmzy View Post
Question - I have an activity to turn on the TV to the SmartTV mode, (vs other HDMI inputs.) I want to have the SONY TV select the 'Home' button as a last step in the power on process. This Home button basically brings up the main SmartTV menu. The Home button appears in the Elite's screen and is what I have to touch manually, as a last step, every time I start this activity.
My problem is, in the Harmony web activity builder thing, I don't see an option to add a button press after any of the device power on sequences.
I pretty much see device power-on order, input selections and that's it. -No ability to add a button at the end of the sequence.

Any ideas?

It's like I'm missing a whole area of Activity customization in the web UI. I've never seen this since I've had the Elite. Vs when I had multiple Ones.

Activities -> ActivityName -> Customize Activity
Then select the device, then "command", then select the specific command from the menu. I do this with my samsung. In your case, it might be called something other than "Home", but if it's a regular IR command, then it will be there.

post #1645 of 1985 Old 05-28-2017, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

^^ thanks a ton, so I should've stated I'm using the Harmony App (iPhone and iPad) / Edit Activity.
I'm not really seeing the options you wrote - do I need the PC software do do this? Does the app have limited customization functionality?

post #1646 of 1985 Old 05-28-2017, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahmzy View Post
^^ thanks a ton, so I should've stated I'm using the Harmony App (iPhone and iPad) / Edit Activity.
I'm not really seeing the options you wrote - do I need the PC software do do this? Does the app have limited customization functionality?
you can do it with the app. just don't remember where. The desktop software is much easier, so it's what I use most of the time.

post #1647 of 1985 Old 05-28-2017, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Found it. Woot! 'Edit Entertainment Devices' under 'Edit Acitivities'/'Edit Start Sequence'.
Thank goodness. Fairly well buried in there.
bp787 likes this.

post #1648 of 1985 Old 05-29-2017, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Sounds like you need to make a macro, but without explicit picture mode commands it will be impossible. That's on the TV maker, not Harmony. Check in the dedicated thread for your TV model and see if anyone knows of commands. Sometimes a different model will have commands that work.

Thanks, I think that might be it. I've sent an email to Logitech anyway, just to see if they can help. In the meantime, I'll see if I can find out what the specific commands to bring up picture modes are.
post #1649 of 1985 Old 05-29-2017, 04:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Question Harmony Elite for dedicated HT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronman79 View Post
@Sweetmeat , we did it! But you first. And you know what? It did take having the JVC turn off last, in my case at least. When I tried your initial fix, I ended up with the turn-off confirmation for the pro, and it just stayed onscreen. For whatever reason, it's the Shield that's causing the issue....When I added that extremely long delay, and changed to JVC turning off last, it works!

It's almost 2:30 in the morning, and I'm up tinkering with this stuff!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Hi Ronman, I think you may be able to help me because you seem to have a dedicated HT room. I want to replace the 4 individial remote control units (Lights, processor, blu ray player, projector) in my dedicated HT with one reliable, easy to programme and use A/V automation remote. I know about systems such as RTI, URC, C4 and Savant. Love the design and interface of Savant but I'm sure it comes at a price.

However, I hear good things about the Harmony Elite and would like to know if it can effectively and reliably serve my purpose. I am thinking of moving all my equipment in a separate room that is adjacent to my dedicated HT room and separated by an 8 inch concrete wall. Having said that, I do have extra conduits that run from my main HT room to this future AV equipment room so cabling is not a problem at all.

I understand that the Harmony Elite remote control unit communicates with the Hub using RF. I could place the Hub in the AV Equipment room but I'm not sure if the RF waves will be able to effectively penetrate the concrete wall to reach the Hub. I wish the controller unit was WiFi capable as well as I would prefer to use the Elite Controller instead of the App running on a smart phone. I presume the solution to this problem would be to hide the Hub in the HT room and run an IR extension cable from the Hub into the AV equipment room and use a single IR blaster mounted on the ceiling or within the equipment rack. To this effect, is one able to daisy chain 2 Hubs via Cat-6 ? Having the Hub in the HT room would have one advantage, it may be able to control the projector too which is important in terms of switching it on and off. Bear in mind that I would hide the Hub right at the rear side of the HT room and behind the projector. If I encounter a problem, I could always run an IR extension to the projector.

From what I understand, the batch programming is pretty easy and can be saved to on-screen buttons as activities. I'm a bit disappointed at the fact that the Elite is unable to fully control the PS4 unless I am mistaken due to a recent upgrade that I am unaware of. Netflix is controlled through my blu ray player which I'm sure the Elite will be able to handle.

I already have 6 LED down-lighters but want to replace them with dimple ones for a reason. When I'm ready to play a movie and press play, the lights should gradually dim down and turn off after which the movie should start playing. If I pause or stop the lights should gradually turn up and halt at full or set brightness. For this, I realise I may have to buy dim-able LED lights along with a dimmer relay switch that is compatible with Harmony Elite. Please feel free to make suggestions - anyone using philips Hue LED down lights or LED strips ? Any idea how they work in conjunction with Elite/Hub ?

Any help will be appreciated including comparisons from people who are using C4, Savant, RTI or URC. One other system that I used to hear people on the forums talk about is iRule, I'm not sure about it though.
post #1650 of 1985 Old 05-29-2017, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ash View Post
Hi Ronman, I think you may be able to help me because you seem to have a dedicated HT room. I want to replace the 4 individial remote control units (Lights, processor, blu ray player, projector) in my dedicated HT with one reliable, easy to programme and use A/V automation remote. I know about systems such as RTI, URC, C4 and Savant. Love the design and interface of Savant but I'm sure it comes at a price.

However, I hear good things about the Harmony Elite and would like to know if it can effectively and reliably serve my purpose. I am thinking of moving all my equipment in a separate room that is adjacent to my dedicated HT room and separated by an 8 inch concrete wall. Having said that, I do have extra conduits that run from my main HT room to this future AV equipment room so cabling is not a problem at all.

I understand that the Harmony Elite remote control unit communicates with the Hub using RF. I could place the Hub in the AV Equipment room but I'm not sure if the RF waves will be able to effectively penetrate the concrete wall to reach the Hub. I wish the controller unit was WiFi capable as well as I would prefer to use the Elite Controller instead of the App running on a smart phone. I presume the solution to this problem would be to hide the Hub in the HT room and run an IR extension cable from the Hub into the AV equipment room and use a single IR blaster mounted on the ceiling or within the equipment rack. To this effect, is one able to daisy chain 2 Hubs via Cat-6 ? Having the Hub in the HT room would have one advantage, it may be able to control the projector too which is important in terms of switching it on and off. Bear in mind that I would hide the Hub right at the rear side of the HT room and behind the projector. If I encounter a problem, I could always run an IR extension to the projector.

From what I understand, the batch programming is pretty easy and can be saved to on-screen buttons as activities. I'm a bit disappointed at the fact that the Elite is unable to fully control the PS4 unless I am mistaken due to a recent upgrade that I am unaware of. Netflix is controlled through my blu ray player which I'm sure the Elite will be able to handle.

I already have 6 LED down-lighters but want to replace them with dimple ones for a reason. When I'm ready to play a movie and press play, the lights should gradually dim down and turn off after which the movie should start playing. If I pause or stop the lights should gradually turn up and halt at full or set brightness. For this, I realise I may have to buy dim-able LED lights along with a dimmer relay switch that is compatible with Harmony Elite. Please feel free to make suggestions - anyone using philips Hue LED down lights or LED strips ? Any idea how they work in conjunction with Elite/Hub ?

Any help will be appreciated including comparisons from people who are using C4, Savant, RTI or URC. One other system that I used to hear people on the forums talk about is iRule, I'm not sure about it though.

yeah, just run the IR blasters from the hub in one room to the next. You can leave the hub in the main HT room. That said, the RF is probably in the 2.4GHz range, so the 6 inches of concrete probably won't be a problem, but no guarantees.

PS4 is a sony issue, and a stupid one. typical sony.

I'm using GE dimmer switches for the lighting. Goes through a samsung smartthings hub. There's a list at logitech's website that shows what devices are directly compatible with the elite out of the box. For many other devices, you might need to buy the hub extender. Smartthings would be my recommendation, though. The elite CAN natively control some lights and switches that are RF only. Pretty limited. zwave based devices seem to work very well.

With the smartthings interface, you can program things to work however you want. Pausing and turning the lights on might be a bit difficult, but probably doable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page