post #1921 of 1995 Old 09-21-2017, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteJ View Post
Lol I like how my quote isn't the same thing I actually said. I'll have to go through the steps again when I get home. If I remember correctly I set the switch up as a regular device and added it to each activity. Then programmed those buttons on each activity to control the light switch. Again I'll look into it when I get home later.
Reading more of your posts I realized you are using IR controlled lights, I'm using Insteon lights - so that makes sense. Back when I used Maestro IR switches I was able to use similar hacks to get my 1100 to control the lights on pause/play/stop.

EDIT: I used the "create a custom IR command' method with my 1100, it would probably work fine with the elite too:
The trick was to hit the play button for the blu-ray player and then hit the "off" button for the lights quickly enough in sequence that they became one command.
For "pause" I hit the pause button and hit the "brighter" button 3 or 4 times... for stop I hit the "on" button... worked really well.
EDIT 2: Once the commands were created I added them to my AVR so I didn't have to worry about having a device for the lights... used the same blaster channel for the AVR, blu-ray, and lights to make things even easier.

-Aaron
English Way Cinema and Bar - moving on to v3.0... projector time in 2017!

Last edited by PTAaron; 09-21-2017 at 08:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 1995 Old 09-21-2017, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAaron View Post
Reading more of your posts I realized you are using IR controlled lights, I'm using Insteon lights - so that makes sense. Back when I used Maestro IR switches I was able to use similar hacks to get my 1100 to control the lights on pause/play/stop.

EDIT: I used the "create a custom IR command' method with my 1100, it would probably work fine with the elite too:
The trick was to hit the play button for the blu-ray player and then hit the "off" button for the lights quickly enough in sequence that they became one command.
For "pause" I hit the pause button and hit the "brighter" button 3 or 4 times... for stop I hit the "on" button... worked really well.
EDIT 2: Once the commands were created I added them to my AVR so I didn't have to worry about having a device for the lights... used the same blaster channel for the AVR, blu-ray, and lights to make things even easier.
That's correct I did use ir switches in the past. I currently use Smarthings with GE Zwave paddle dimmers. I replaced the ones in the family room at first, now almost the whole house is converted. Tied in with a couple of Google homes and it makes for a pretty complete smart home experience.
post #1923 of 1995 Old 09-21-2017, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I'm a little confused with the functionality of these hub-based remotes.

Can I use the Elite or Companion to control my living room system as follows:

In living room:

Vizio M-Series 4K TV
GoldenEar 3D Array X Passive Soundbar & Rythmik L-12 powered Subwoofer.

In Basement Rack:

Denon AVR-X3200 Receiver
4K Cable TV Box
Oppo Universal Player

I want to move all my gear out of the living room (except for the TV and Speakers). I'll be running a conduit with a 4K HDMI cable (from A/V Receiver to TV), an optical digital (from TV to A/V Receiver) and speaker wire for the front L/C/R down into the basment. Can I use the Elite or Companion to control a system like that? Where would I put the Hub? In the basement pointing at the rack? Or would it need to be in the living room with long IR blasters running into the basement with the rest of the wiring going downstairs? I also have Lutron Caseta Wireless dimmers that will be controlled in the living room.

I'm going to rip open the wall and install conduit running downstairs so I need to know what's possible. If I can't do it with Harmony, I know I can do it with Control 4 but it will be much costlier.

Main System: Vizio 70" P-Series 4K TV. KEF LS50 L/C/R Speakers. Mirage BPS 400. Anthem MRX-300. Wyred4Sound STP-SE. Blue Circle BC 24. Cambridge DACMagic +. Oppo BDP-83. Sound Application CF-X. GIK Panels
Living Room: Vizio 55" M-Series 4K HDR TV. GoldenEar 3D Array X. Rythmik L-12. Denon AVR-X3200. Oppo BDP-83
Studio: KEF Egg Wireless Speakers. Totem Kin Subwoofer. Yulong P-18 Power Conditioner. GIK Panels

post #1924 of 1995 Old 09-22-2017, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick V View Post
I'm a little confused with the functionality of these hub-based remotes.

Can I use the Elite or Companion to control my living room system as follows:

In living room:

Vizio M-Series 4K TV
GoldenEar 3D Array X Passive Soundbar & Rythmik L-12 powered Subwoofer.

In Basement Rack:

Denon AVR-X3200 Receiver
4K Cable TV Box
Oppo Universal Player

I want to move all my gear out of the living room (except for the TV and Speakers). I'll be running a conduit with a 4K HDMI cable (from A/V Receiver to TV), an optical digital (from TV to A/V Receiver) and speaker wire for the front L/C/R down into the basment. Can I use the Elite or Companion to control a system like that? Where would I put the Hub? In the basement pointing at the rack? Or would it need to be in the living room with long IR blasters running into the basement with the rest of the wiring going downstairs? I also have Lutron Caseta Wireless dimmers that will be controlled in the living room.

I'm going to rip open the wall and install conduit running downstairs so I need to know what's possible. If I can't do it with Harmony, I know I can do it with Control 4 but it will be much costlier.
hub would go in the basement IF the communication between the hub and remote is still good. (RF)

Otherwise, you'll need to use long IR blasters from the hub in the living room.

Sony xbr65x850c Side Blooming test clips:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...br65x850c.xlsx
post #1925 of 1995 Old 09-22-2017, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2278 Post(s)
Liked: 992
Companion cannot control anything not line of sight with a hub or blaster. Elite can control anything line of sight with the remote itself or with the hub/blaster.
49Merc likes this.
post #1926 of 1995 Old 09-22-2017, 07:48 PM
pjp
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Is it possible to have the light controls buttons work when you are on the "Activities" screen (before any activity is active)? It's pretty common that we are in the room with no A/V activity active but still want to control the lights from the Elite. I went into the "Buttons" menu, but it looks like you can only program "screen options" for the "Activity" screen. In the "Assign AV Commands" drop-down to assign the buttons below the screen, the "Activities" screen is grayed out, so buttons can only be assigned for actual activities or devices.

Is where a way to program the buttons for the Activities screen only?
49Merc likes this.
post #1927 of 1995 Old 09-23-2017, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked: 293
So I just added the Apple TV 4k to my harmony elite remote. The 4k isn?t in the database yet so I chose 4th gen. How do you get it so the harmony puts the atv to sleep?
post #1928 of 1995 Old 09-23-2017, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
Is it possible to have the light controls buttons work when you are on the "Activities" screen (before any activity is active)? It's pretty common that we are in the room with no A/V activity active but still want to control the lights from the Elite. I went into the "Buttons" menu, but it looks like you can only program "screen options" for the "Activity" screen. In the "Assign AV Commands" drop-down to assign the buttons below the screen, the "Activities" screen is grayed out, so buttons can only be assigned for actual activities or devices.

Is where a way to program the buttons for the Activities screen only?
the home control buttons are always active, regardless of activity.
pjp likes this.

post #1929 of 1995 Old 09-25-2017, 06:09 AM
pjp
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp787 View Post
the home control buttons are always active, regardless of activity.
Thanks for the feedback. They aren't active on mine outside an activity. I think I know why, but I don't know how to fix it. When I go into MyHarmony and click "buttons", it has two options for buttons ("Assign AV Commands" and "Assign Home Controls"). I assume I can get my light control to work outside of any activity by using "Assign Home Controls" instead of "Assign AV Commands", but the "Assign Home Control" button seems to be always grayed out -- there doesn't seem to be any way to click it.
post #1930 of 1995 Old 09-25-2017, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. They aren't active on mine outside an activity. I think I know why, but I don't know how to fix it. When I go into MyHarmony and click "buttons", it has two options for buttons ("Assign AV Commands" and "Assign Home Controls"). I assume I can get my light control to work outside of any activity by using "Assign Home Controls" instead of "Assign AV Commands", but the "Assign Home Control" button seems to be always grayed out -- there doesn't seem to be any way to click it.
I think it depends on the type of device. If the device isn't detected as an actual home control/smart device by the software, then it won't be assignable to a home control button.

For example, I have an IR based Light strip, but I can't put that into the home control buttons. It's just another regular device to the remote. Kinda annoying, for sure.
pjp likes this.

post #1931 of 1995 Old 09-25-2017, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
I think you need a "hub-based" system connected to wi-fi: my insteon (w/hub) shows under home controls, but my x10 (no hub) does not.
pjp likes this.

Samsung 8000 @ 65 in; X1S primarily to upconvert Blu-Ray and Netflix/Amazon apps to Dolby Atmos; Samsung 950 Soundbar.
post #1932 of 1995 Old 09-25-2017, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 5
So the X-10 transceiver is plugged into the wall with its antenna up and i have the palm pad to communicate to it. Is there a way to communicate with the part plugged into the wall without my palm pad that works on RF normally? Still lost

Yamaha 2070 l Martin Logan 60s l Martin Logan 50 l Martin Logan Dynamo 700 l Oppo 203 l LG C7 - Sony 900e l Polk Surround
post #1933 of 1995 Old 09-25-2017, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by starr18t View Post
So the X-10 transceiver is plugged into the wall with its antenna up and i have the palm pad to communicate to it. Is there a way to communicate with the part plugged into the wall without my palm pad that works on RF normally? Still lost
I don't know about palm pad, but I use IR-543 X10 Command Console to convert Harmony's IR to RF that is then interpreted by X-10's Transceiver.

Samsung 8000 @ 65 in; X1S primarily to upconvert Blu-Ray and Netflix/Amazon apps to Dolby Atmos; Samsung 950 Soundbar.
post #1934 of 1995 Old 09-25-2017, 12:13 PM
pjp
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think it depends on the type of device. If the device isn't detected as an actual home control/smart device by the software, then it won't be assignable to a home control button.

For example, I have an IR based Light strip, but I can't put that into the home control buttons. It's just another regular device to the remote. Kinda annoying, for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpom View Post
I think you need a "hub-based" system connected to wi-fi: my insteon (w/hub) shows under home controls, but my x10 (no hub) does not.
Thanks guys. Not exactly the answer I wanted, but I think this answers it.
bp787 likes this.
post #1935 of 1995 Old 09-25-2017, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Harmony Elite

Opps wrong thread... LOL!

-Aaron
English Way Cinema and Bar - moving on to v3.0... projector time in 2017!
post #1936 of 1995 Old 09-27-2017, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Periodic Hub Resets

Approximately every three weeks Elite commands fail to work which of course indicates the Hub is not functioning. So far resetting the Hub make things right. Is this an indication of more serious issues to come?

Thanks

LG OLED 55EG9100 HDTV, DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44, DirecTV AM21 OTA Receiver, Sony BDPS6500 Blu-Ray, Bose Soundtouch 130 HTC (Sound Bar), Panamax MR5100 Power Manager, Harmony Elite Remote, Monoprice AV Cables

LG OLED 55EG9100 Calibrated by Best Buy Geek Squad
post #1937 of 1995 Old 09-30-2017, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I tried searching here and in the Oppo thread, but didn't find the answer. I have the Elite and an Oppo UDP-203 included in a Watch Movie activity. When I select this activity, the receiver switches inputs, but the Oppo doesn't power on. If I choose another activity, such as the Watch TV activity and then select the Watch Movie activity again it powers on the second time.

I cannot figure out why it won't power on the first round, but it ALWAYS powers on the second round. The odd thing is that it wasn't always like this and the problem seems to have started a few months back. Anyone run into something similar?
post #1938 of 1995 Old 10-02-2017, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc View Post
Approximately every three weeks Elite commands fail to work which of course indicates the Hub is not functioning. So far resetting the Hub make things right. Is this an indication of more serious issues to come?

Thanks
I seem to get it every 1-3 months. not very often. Sometimes you just need to "re-sync" from the remote. Other times, a full hub reset is needed. I think you/we should submit a bug report to logitech. But I don't think it means anything worse is coming. just an annoyance.
49Merc likes this.

post #1939 of 1995 Old 10-02-2017, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
I seem to get it every 1-3 months. not very often. Sometimes you just need to "re-sync" from the remote. Other times, a full hub reset is needed. I think you/we should submit a bug report to logitech. But I don't think it means anything worse is coming. just an annoyance.
How do I re-sync from my remote?

LG OLED 55EG9100 HDTV, DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44, DirecTV AM21 OTA Receiver, Sony BDPS6500 Blu-Ray, Bose Soundtouch 130 HTC (Sound Bar), Panamax MR5100 Power Manager, Harmony Elite Remote, Monoprice AV Cables

LG OLED 55EG9100 Calibrated by Best Buy Geek Squad
post #1940 of 1995 Old 10-02-2017, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc View Post
How do I re-sync from my remote?
It's under the settings menu (upper left hand corner of the screen, there's a gear icon). Sorry, can't remember the exact menu option at the moment.

post #1941 of 1995 Old 10-02-2017, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:

I’ve had similar issues. Called Harmony. Had me to a full reset under troubleshooting on desktop app. Wiped remote and hub and reloaded the remote. So far it has fixed my issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bp787 and 49Merc like this.

Sony XBR-55A1E, LG OLED 65G6P, LG 55EF9500
Anthem AVM 60, Anthem MRX720
Oppo UDP-203, Sony UBP-X800
Dynaudio Focus 210C/260, Dynaudio DM Center/2/6, Dynaudio IC17, Dynaudio Studio S4-W80
AT 44-DA
SVS SB16-Ultra
post #1942 of 1995 Old 10-03-2017, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 5
anyone have an issue where you put the remote on the charger and it says charging and you come back to it later and pick it up and it is like it was never charging because the battery level is the same. Usually i have to put it back on the charger again for it to take.
post #1943 of 1995 Old 10-03-2017, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
anyone have an issue where you put the remote on the charger and it says charging and you come back to it later and pick it up and it is like it was never charging because the battery level is the same. Usually i have to put it back on the charger again for it to take.
Yes all the time.
post #1944 of 1995 Old 10-03-2017, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2487 Post(s)
Liked: 1790
Quote:
100% of the time. If you just take it off and leave it the indicator eventually updates.
starr18t likes this.
post #1945 of 1995 Old 10-03-2017, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Same here, sometimes (and maybe more and more as of late?). Though I think I'll see if what rdgrimes says is true in my case too, next time around, if I remember.
post #1946 of 1995 Old 10-03-2017, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
It's under the settings menu (upper left hand corner of the screen, there's a gear icon). Sorry, can't remember the exact menu option at the moment.
Upper left corner of the remote then: Settings >> General and scroll to the bottom of the list.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #1947 of 1995 Old 10-03-2017, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalczewski View Post
Same here, sometimes (and maybe more and more as of late?). Though I think I'll see if what rdgrimes says is true in my case too, next time around, if I remember.
after some time, it will update. happens to me often enough.

post #1948 of 1995 Old 10-06-2017, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinLH00 View Post
I tried searching here and in the Oppo thread, but didn't find the answer. I have the Elite and an Oppo UDP-203 included in a Watch Movie activity. When I select this activity, the receiver switches inputs, but the Oppo doesn't power on. If I choose another activity, such as the Watch TV activity and then select the Watch Movie activity again it powers on the second time.

I cannot figure out why it won't power on the first round, but it ALWAYS powers on the second round. The odd thing is that it wasn't always like this and the problem seems to have started a few months back. Anyone run into something similar?

It could be you have a device that is interfering with the Oppo's start up sequence, pretty much just when something powers on after being off for awhile. My suggestion would be to edit your Watch Movie activity. Start the Oppo first then have a delay of 5 seconds then start the possibly offending device last(probably your TV.)

On your pc software:
Activities>Watch Movie>Customize This Activity>Drag Oppo - Power On to first in the order. Then select add delay>Start with 5 seconds>Click a different device>Go back to the delay row that you just created and drag it to 2nd in your order. I'd try dragging your TV power on and input selections to the bottom.

The other way you could do this is. Drag your power on oppo to 1st like I described above, but don't add a delay to the sequence. Then have your offending device, probably your TV to have a power on delay of about 5 seconds.

To do this select Devices>Offending device>Change Device Settings>Device Delay settings>Change Power-on delay.

You might have to increase the delay, or 5 seconds might be too long for you so you might be able to whittle it down to a few seconds.
post #1949 of 1995 Old 10-06-2017, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc03979 View Post
It could be you have a device that is interfering with the Oppo's start up sequence, pretty much just when something powers on after being off for awhile. My suggestion would be to edit your Watch Movie activity. Start the Oppo first then have a delay of 5 seconds then start the possibly offending device last(probably your TV.)

On your pc software:
Activities>Watch Movie>Customize This Activity>Drag Oppo - Power On to first in the order. Then select add delay>Start with 5 seconds>Click a different device>Go back to the delay row that you just created and drag it to 2nd in your order. I'd try dragging your TV power on and input selections to the bottom.

The other way you could do this is. Drag your power on oppo to 1st like I described above, but don't add a delay to the sequence. Then have your offending device, probably your TV to have a power on delay of about 5 seconds.

To do this select Devices>Offending device>Change Device Settings>Device Delay settings>Change Power-on delay.

You might have to increase the delay, or 5 seconds might be too long for you so you might be able to whittle it down to a few seconds.
Would this apply with switching between activities when the other devices are already powered on? This issue happens when I am already watching TV, so the receiver and television are already powered on.

Energy RC-70 (2) | Energy RC-LCR | NHT SZ 2.1 (4) | SVS PB-2000 | Denon AVR-X4300H | LG OLED65C6P | OPPO UDP-203
PS3 | PS4 | Wii U | Apple TV (4th gen) | DirecTV HR44 HMC | Harmony Ultimate
post #1950 of 1995 Old 10-06-2017, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinLH00 View Post
Would this apply with switching between activities when the other devices are already powered on? This issue happens when I am already watching TV, so the receiver and television are already powered on.
It could be. I guess you could try my first suggestion and see if that works. Unfortunately I'm not an expert when it comes to the hardware. If that doesn't work at least you know that it's not something interfering with the oppo and you can troubleshoot from there.

My guess is the oppo has some things it needs to do before it powers on and it doesn't get the full sequence of the transmission because of interference and thus doesn't power on. Then when you try it a 2nd time it already did the first part(s) of it's boot up and it doesn't need as long of an IR blast that gets cut short by interference. Honestly I'm just guessing.

In my case I was having problems with my receiver. When I first powered it on with an activity it would turn on, but would do nothing else and wouldn't do anything when using an IR signal for like a minute. After that minute it was fine and worked normally until it'd been off for awhile and then it would happen again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page