AVS Forum banner

Harmony Elite

639K views 9K replies 754 participants last post by  Carbo 
#1 ·
#3,031 ·
Does the Elite turn everything on or off simultaneously? Years ago I had a cheaper universal remote and when you pushed an activity button it would turn on the tv, then turn on the cable box, then turn on the receiver, then change inputs or whatever, and if you pointed the remote away from the system for a split second the sequence would get messed up and you'd have to get up and fix it. Drove me crazy.

#3,032 ·
The Elite is hub based. The handheld remote communicates with the hub via RF. The hub (and any remote IR blasters that you connect) then shoot out the IR to control devices. The hub can also use bluetooth and/or IP to control devices. You no longer have to keep the remote pointed anywhere in particular. In my home theater all of my equipment (except for my projector) is in a separate equipment room. The hub is in the room with my equipment. The Elite has no problem controlling all of it. And yes, it turns all devices on/off as required and switches to correct inputs, etc.

#3,037 ·
Well I caved and bought this finally as an upgrade over my one. The funny thing is, I don't really "need" the hub features or the home automation at this point, its mainly for what I hope will be a better feeling, more responsive remote.

What is the process for porting over my activities from the One to the Elite? If I just run myharmony and plug in the Elite will it prompt me to carry over settings?

#3,038 ·

What is the process for porting over my activities from the One to the Elite? If I just run myharmony and plug in the Elite will it prompt me to carry over settings?
The desktop software has a "Upgrade your remote" section that will copy devices and activities from one remote to another but I've found that it doesn't copy over any customizations. I always need to re add any customizations that I've made. I don't use the mobile app very much but I'm sure it has something similar to upgrade as well.

Attachments

#3,041 ·
So is the elite the same as the 950? I’m looking into getting a harmony. I’ve heard you don’t need the hub if you want to do home theater and not home automation! I don’t want to over complicate things I just want control about 5-6 devices tops and 3-4 in another room so I’m thinking 2 separate remotes

#3,043 ·
They are the same physical remote. However, with the Hub the remote works via wifi. Without the hub the remote is IR only. I can't stress enough how much nicer it is to have the wifi remote function. And the Hub also allows you to control IR dispersion with the mini-blasters, so when things are in cabinets or whatever, you're covered. Also remember that there are some devices that don't work with IR remotes, more very year it seems.

I'll suggest you don't cheap-out and go for the Elite.

#3,046 · (Edited)
Is it possible to adjust the duration/delay of the longpress for buttons, either universally on the remote or per activity? Ive always swapped around the long/short press options for the DVR, but Id like to change how long you have to hold down the button for the 2nd command to activate.

Also, is there way to make sure my favorites page is always a set page on the touch screen when watching TV? sometimes its the 2nd, sometimes the 4th, I want it consistent

definitely feel like this is an improvement over the One. Vastly better display, higher res icons from the icon site, it seems to send commands faster for powering on and off, and just feels much more polished

#3,047 ·
AFAIK the duration to invoke the long press function is not adjustable.

To pick which screen is displayed first when starting an activity you need to use the remote itself. Click on the gear icon in the upper left then Settings, Activities, Startup Screen, then the activity you want to change. Then you will be able to select the startup screen.

Yeah, at one time or another I have owned just about all the high end, and some of the lower end, remotes that Harmony has made. The Elite is by far the best both from a functional as well as an ergonomic perspective.

#3,063 ·
How does the Harmony Ultimate Home compare to the Elite?

There are some good black Friday deals on the Ultimate Home, but unfortunately not on the Elite (here in Canada anyway).

I think it's been discontinued, but appears to work with the Harmony hub, RF and IR.

Any input?

#3,064 ·
The issue with the Ultimate Home is the poor ergonomics of the handheld remote. The transport controls (play, pause, ff, rew) are all the way at the top which is exactly the wrong place. Trust me, after trying to use that remote for a few days you will want to throw it out the window. None of the current Harmony remotes (like the Elite or the Companion) use that layout anymore. It was the same problem they had with the One. AFAIK they discontinued that layout with all their current remotes.

#3,073 ·
I suggest calling your local BB first before you make the drive. Last time they ran that promo they would only honor the $100 trade-in off of the LIST price of the Elite, not the sale price. Net was you could get the same price by purchasing the Elite on Amazon without having to do a trade-in.

#3,102 ·
fwiw, I use both emitters but only because they seemed to help out a bit with sluggish or hidden equipment.

The first is for the directv hd-dvr, as I had noticed the dvr seemed to be somewhat iffy sometimes in whether or not it received a button hit (I think mostly it's just slow responding), but seems to be better behaved with one of the emitters placed right in front of it.

The other is for a power toggle switch I have hidden behind the UPS, too hard to get a consistent signal back there otherwise.

And speaking of otherwise, my several other IR-triggered devices are well covered by the hub. The hub actually sits off to the side and below most of them and a little bit behind where their sensors are located. This all out in the open, the rack has glass shelves.

So yeah unless something peculiar to your set up the blasters really do obviate the need for emitters most all of the time.

#3,117 · (Edited)
There’s been a few times in the dark I grab the remote and oops activity changed .. kids go daddd. So changed this from 0.5 to 1.0 second just now

But ... if using the smartphone app can’t control the touch time ... it goes instantly

Just these 2 items in app settings... be nice same tweak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3,126 ·
I'm not sure if this is the right thread but I'm wondering if there's a way to get a command added from a device I no longer have.

My Denon 3806 had a hard button command that could be used to dim and turn off the front panel display without having to go into Settings and drill down about 4 tiers to get to it. I'm two iterations beyond that AVR now, currently using a Denon AVR-X4500H, and I would like to be able to add that command to my Activities as a soft button to quickly illuminate and dim/darken the FPD.

I'm using a Harmony 950 with a Hub as well although the Hub really doesn't enter into the equation here.

Thanks

#3,129 ·
Hey all!
Recently got myself a harmony elite (my Harmony One is getting a new home), so I migrated everything over from my Harmony One setup.
Everything is working fine (using it without the hub), except for the fact that the delay is noticeably longer than it was with my Harmony One. They have the same delay settings, and when using the remotes side by side, the Elite was definitely slower.

For completeness, inter-key delay is set to 100ms on both remotes.

#3,130 · (Edited)
OK, here is one for NVIDIA SHIELD USERS.
I have the NVDIA SHIELD in my Elite but for some reason I get a bunch of "F" buttons showing on my remote that are NOT in my setup page. Anyone else notice this. Specifically they are F1 F10 F11, etc. When I am on my desktop software page they do NOT show up, nor do they show up in my APP. I need to delete them, but am confuzzled as to how to do so!

Attachments

#3,131 ·
Yes, they show up on the handheld remote when you switch to the Shield device. They don't show up on any of my activity screens so they really don't effect operations for me. This has been reported in the past. The only thing you can do is contact Logitech/Harmony about it.
BTW, they do show up on my iPad again only when in device mode for Shield. They are the very top row of numbers above the controls.

#3,132 ·
All, for a home theater setup with all my electronics in a closet (closed cabinet) is a Harmony Elite viable as an option or do I need to go with the crazy expensive Savant or URC? Trying to manage the budget and know where I can put funds. Any insight into this would be helpful. I really do not want to use more than one remote. For reference, it will be a projector in the back of the room and all other electronics and inputs will be in a closet. 5.1.4 system. Marantz receiver.