AVS Forum banner

Harmony Elite

639K views 9K replies 754 participants last post by  Carbo 
#1 ·
#4 ·
It seems odd to me that there a no number buttons. I presume people buying this would set up favorite channel icons instead? That would seem kinda limiting.

I use the number buttons every day - to go directly to other channels when i'm in the guide on my Tivo and Cable DVR and when inputting times and channels when setting up manual recordings so number buttons are a requirement for me. One of URC's highest-end remotes also does not have number buttons so it's not just these Harmonys.

Reactions: boe
#8 ·
Many years ago i tried a cool touch screen remote from Radio Shack (Cameleon i think?) that looked really futuristic and was very configurable, but i quickly realized that i was too used to using my remotes by feel and i just could not deal with having to look at the screen for every single command, no matter how cool it looked. I ended up returning it and i've been a hard button guy ever since.

Some people just need hard buttons ;)

#15 ·
I have the Ultimate Home. I will definitely upgrade. Sadly, Samsung and them have a problem or miscommunication between each company. It's with the 2015's TV sets and the HDMI4 input, and that is the input with ARC.....Logitech says Samsung is not/has not, given them the code, and I tried getting them as a customer to send it to Logitech myself. Samsung Tech Support say they don't give the codes out.......

#16 · (Edited)
All Harmony remotes share the same database, so a new model isn't going to solve your problem anyway.

Here's a Samsung HDMI 4 code I found at remotecentral:
Code:
HDMI 4:
0000 006D 0000 0022 00AC 00AB 0015 0041 0015 0041 0015 0041 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0041 0015 0041 0015 0041 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0041 0015 0016 0015 0041 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0041 0015 0041 0015 0016 0015 0041 0015 0016 0015 0041 0015 0041 0015 0041 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0689

#19 ·
Interesting. I had a Hamony 880 and a One, both of which I loved, and now have the Ultimate Home, whose layout really bugs me. When my One died a few months ago, I considered just buying another one on ebay, but they were selling for more than a new Ultimate Home, so I "upgraded" to the Ultimate Home instead. Sure, the RF and smartphone control is nice, but man, the Ergonomics really took a big step back -- I hate how the transport buttons are up above the touchscreen, requiring you to awkwardly shift the remote down in your hand, usually when you're hurriedly trying to pause the show so you can answer the phone or something. To a lesser extent I miss the number pad as well, but if that were all that was missing, I could live with it. But the One had both features, and did everything I needed it to -- I really miss my One.

It's nice to see that the next model brings the transport controls back under your thumb. After just spending $250+ for the Ultimate Home a few months ago, I can't justify upgrading again so soon, but as long as Logitech is moving in the right direction, it gives me hope that at some point, when this remote fails, I'll find myself with a remote I don't hate. :)

#20 · (Edited)
I really like the repositioning of the fastforward/play/rewind buttons below the screen. That is the one thing that drives me nuts about the harmony ultimate one. The addition of hard buttons to control lights/devices is pretty sweet too. Both of these are reason enough for me to upgrade both of my harmony ultimate homes.

Has anyone read whether the remote will have IR like the ultimate home? This is absolutely necessary for me as there is no easy way I can easily run a hub from my equipment to the TV. Currently I am able to set the Harmony ultimate home to control my TV directly via IR from the remote and everything else is controlled from the hub's IR. Without this feature it is a no go for me. I cannot see anything in the documentation about the remote having built in IR which makes me think it isn't there. :(

#28 ·
Like most people, I intially HATED the layout of the transport buttons and did not buy the remote for that reason. B?ut after getting a killer deal on one, I realized the transport buttons are worthless anyway with all the cool screen gestures you can use that work great from having the remote in my hand, no re positioning necessary..

#22 ·
Had the same issue. I emailed them and they acted like it was my fault. I tried different browsers, different payment methods...nothing. Can't proceed with order until you select a shipping method and there aren't any to chose from in drop down.

Also on preorder at Best Buy and Amazon.

#39 ·
At first I thought this looked promising but they still don't have enough hard buttons.No number buttons, Transport buttons still got the retarded push and hold nonsene, Still have a 15 device limit. If your going to make everything touch screen why even bother making a remote, just use a phone. I'll never teach the non techie people in the house to use this any easier than a phone app.

Is anyone at Logitech even listening to customers anymore?

What about the hub? let me guess, two IR leads only? Any info on it? range?

I'm still wanting to replace my 890 but everything since the 890 and maybe the 900 (that had its issues) has been a flop.

I was really hoping that with the backlash against the one,Ulitmate and Home that this would be the one they got right. I'm getting desperate at this point, my 890 is falling apart.

The 15 device limit kills me. If you have receivers with multple zones, the limit gets chewed up almost instantly. 2 receivers with 3 zones is 6 devices right there. Seperate power amps for theater, toss in a few tvs, all the consoles, a few cable boxes...15 is not even realistic anymore. What about lights, all the house controlled stuff, what is the limit there or that part of the 15?

#40 ·
I have the home control remote (non touch, w/ hard # buttons) and I do like hard # buttons. I think I could get past the # buttons missing but I hate the fast forward/30 second skip function. I have a Tivo and I set up my remote so a quick press is 30 second skip and long press is fast forward x1 (repeated long presses speed up the fast forward e.g x2,x3,x4) I find myself having to be very careful when skipping commercials (I will press 3,4 5 times quickly to go a couple minutes ahead) that I don't accidentally hold the button for a millisecond or two too long or what ends up happening is the tivo gets a fast forward x1 command and then when I press the button quickly on subsequent presses it will skip whole 30 minute or hour blocks. Nothing more annoying when watching a football game or race and it magically skips an hour ahead and you see the score or a winner in victory lane:mad: I think I would really like this remote if they had separate FF and 30s skip buttons like they used to.

#41 · (Edited)
yeah this is the very thing that will drive my woman nuts and that will drive me up the wall. She will hold the button down too long. My Bell PVR does the same thing. Is there a way to defeat the long button press? I know you'll end up giving up fast forward/rewind (unless you map it somewhere else)

I guess the other option for me is to just finally give up on Harmony, maybe go back to URC, RTI etc. After 10+ years or more of Harmony's that might not go over well either. Harmony just doesn't seem to be listening to their customer base and just doing their own thing. Seem's like a managment team with an ego in charge scenario.

#49 ·
You are correct on the Harmony remote communicating with the basestation via RF. It would help with other Wi-Fi devices that the remote has to control or the remote update that is performed over the air. Plus if anyone changes out a router, you wouldn't have to put in the password on the hub again. Wired is always more reliable.

#50 ·
You preaching to the choir with the "wired is ALWAYS better" with me! I guess I forgot that the remote can control other things via wifi. Actually as I am typing this I wonder if there could be something in my wireless that is giving my insteon control over the hub fits as the insteon part of my ultimate sucks hard...Hmmm
Another thing I am a big fan of is static IP addresses in my network...but that is a little off topic..