• 1 Post By MtnBiker2001

post #1 of 19 Old 01-13-2016, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Ray Remote

I was looking around to see if there's a thread on this remote Ray, so I started one.

Just won this Ray remote over at Facebook Movie Music Home Theater group, I'll put a link up once I get home.

https://www.ray.co/

I'm excite to get it home and find out it's working. I know it doesn't have any hard buttons but hey, it looks robust either way.

I'll post my expression as clear as possible me being a big boob when it comes to these remotes.
I never happy with what I've owned in the past for some reason or another whether I found it difficult to program, or find them limited to what I need for me and my family. Harmony, URC, and few others have been in my hands the last few years, and have been tolerating the Harmony 650.

Hope it work out for us, as I can use a solid solution.

Djoel

Below are some review on the remote..

https://www.ray.co/reviews/17-shut-up-and-take-my-money

https://www.ray.co/reviews/3-ray-s-u...ontrol-your-tv

https://www.ray.co/reviews/12-a-univ...w-you-watch-tv

https://www.ray.co/reviews/13-2015-s...area-designers

https://www.ray.co/reviews/5-jugglin...s-touch-screen

https://www.ray.co/reviews/15-screen...test-tv-remote

https://www.ray.co/reviews/6-ray-tou...ized-tv-lovers

https://www.ray.co/reviews/11-ray-is...t-want-to-lose

https://www.ray.co/reviews/10-someon...elongs-in-2015

Last edited by Djoel; 01-13-2016 at 11:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-13-2016, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Too bad it doesn't have IP control as it looks like an interesting option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 19 Old 01-13-2016, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

IP" as in IP address?

These guys appear to be looking for feed back, and from what I read they might want to update the remote down the road! So perhaps it could be something that can be added

Djoel
post #4 of 19 Old 01-13-2016, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK, I literally was hand the remote, as they're have an office NYC...I spoke to the young briefly and she said they are working on it IP?

Djoel
post #5 of 19 Old 01-25-2016, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ok so how is your experience using it?
post #6 of 19 Old 02-25-2016, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Hey anymore info on this remote? It is a sleek looking and pretty smart with the options it does have just don't think it would work with my equipment being out of sight.

Spoiler!
post #7 of 19 Old 02-25-2016, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Can only control one monitor and one DirecTV receiver now. This is the response I got from them when I inquired:

"Ray is designed to be dedicated to one setup, and to do that well. In order to keep such a complex function simple and user-friendly, it's a delicate balance to strike of how many additional features to add. Allowing Ray to control more than one set-top box or DirecTV receiver is in our roadmap for a future release, currently, Ray will only be able to control one of your DirecTV DVRs at a time."

Deal breaker for me as I have two DVRs.
post #8 of 19 Old 03-08-2016, 08:26 AM
CIH USER

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2140 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
Ray Remote

I've just received an email Press Release from Global Cache that Ray are entering a strategic partnership with Ray Super Remote.

[quote ]Global Caché, the leading independent manufacturer of IP, WiFi, and HTTP enabling connectivity products for the control and automation market, announced today they have entered into a strategic partnership with Ray Enterprises, maker of the Ray Super Remote, for IP-to-IR Relay support.[/quote]

Frank

Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #9 of 19 Old 03-12-2016, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6
ray remote

Ok pulled the trigger today and ordered a ray remote. It'll be here Tuesday so I'll have my review after that. Hope it's as good as it appears. Like the idea that it's upgradeable as far as features go.
Djoel likes this.
post #10 of 19 Old 03-14-2016, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I haven't used my in a while, as my system has taken a back seat to other life's curve balls.

Hope to get really familiar with it soon enough

Djoel

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
post #11 of 19 Old 03-15-2016, 09:03 PM

ray remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnBiker2001 View Post
Ok pulled the trigger today and ordered a ray remote. It'll be here Tuesday so I'll have my review after that. Hope it's as good as it appears. Like the idea that it's upgradeable as far as features go.
Ok got the new remote today and it went fairly well. But as to be expected with about 7 remotes to program I did have a few quirks. Some of it was just me having to learn it and other things were things that could use some refining. Customer support was excellent and they are very interested in your input. This is a fairly new product so there are a few wrinkles that have to be ironed out. For me one thing I have to dig into a bit is controlling my avr. The default buttons on the side do control volume and mute but there is no avr showing on my home screen. There is another way to see hidden devices and you can customize what features you want to be available and there are a ton for my denon 910. This will be a work in progress for a while until I figure all that out. All in all I'm happy with my purchase and will be keeping it knowing as time goes by this unit will just keep getting better and better. I will however be keeping my factory remotes nearby just in case. Will have more as i learn more about it.

So I've had the Ray Super Remote for about a week and this thing is getting really nice to use. In other words I'm getting used to using it. It has a very strong IR signal so I really don't have to point it directly at the entertainment rack. This is especially true for the new Samsung UHD blu ray player, which had to be pointed directly to it. The only quirk I need corrected is to have the ability to turn off the on/off function for the Comcast X1 box. It does have a "never turn off" feature but the problem I have is that when you use the multi power on feature it sends an "on" signal to the X1 box which acts like a toggle switch, so it switches it from "on" to "off" now. So the tv and the avr come on and the X1 box turns off. Other than this it works great. And I'm sure this will get corrected. Ray customer support has been exceptional. They actually called me out of the blue last week to see how everything was going. You just don't see this kind of customer support these days. Bottom line -- the more I use this the more I like it. I can't compare it to other universals out there being this is my first universal. But I do like a remote that doesn't have buttons all over the place so this was a good fit for me.

Update:
Just thought I'd add that power toggle quirk I was having was corrected the next day by Ray. Excellent customer service!

Last edited by MtnBiker2001; 03-26-2016 at 11:56 PM. Reason: update
post #12 of 19 Old 06-18-2016, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnBiker2001 View Post
Ok got the new remote today and it went fairly well. But as to be expected with about 7 remotes to program I did have a few quirks. Some of it was just me having to learn it and other things were things that could use some refining. Customer support was excellent and they are very interested in your input. This is a fairly new product so there are a few wrinkles that have to be ironed out. For me one thing I have to dig into a bit is controlling my avr. The default buttons on the side do control volume and mute but there is no avr showing on my home screen. There is another way to see hidden devices and you can customize what features you want to be available and there are a ton for my denon 910. This will be a work in progress for a while until I figure all that out. All in all I'm happy with my purchase and will be keeping it knowing as time goes by this unit will just keep getting better and better. I will however be keeping my factory remotes nearby just in case. Will have more as i learn more about it.

So I've had the Ray Super Remote for about a week and this thing is getting really nice to use. In other words I'm getting used to using it. It has a very strong IR signal so I really don't have to point it directly at the entertainment rack. This is especially true for the new Samsung UHD blu ray player, which had to be pointed directly to it. The only quirk I need corrected is to have the ability to turn off the on/off function for the Comcast X1 box. It does have a "never turn off" feature but the problem I have is that when you use the multi power on feature it sends an "on" signal to the X1 box which acts like a toggle switch, so it switches it from "on" to "off" now. So the tv and the avr come on and the X1 box turns off. Other than this it works great. And I'm sure this will get corrected. Ray customer support has been exceptional. They actually called me out of the blue last week to see how everything was going. You just don't see this kind of customer support these days. Bottom line -- the more I use this the more I like it. I can't compare it to other universals out there being this is my first universal. But I do like a remote that doesn't have buttons all over the place so this was a good fit for me.

Update:

Just thought I'd add that power toggle quirk I was having was corrected the next day by Ray. Excellent customer service!

I'm interested in this remote and also have a denon 910. Were you able to get the remote to show the avr on the home screen also do you have access to the other functions from the denon remote on the Ray?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #13 of 19 Old 06-18-2016, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbows556 View Post
I'm interested in this remote and also have a denon 910. Were you able to get the remote to show the avr on the home screen also do you have access to the other functions from the denon remote on the Ray?

Ray just added SONOS beta and it works great.

LG 65 EF 9500,Yamaha 3050,Oppo 103D
Directv C61 4K box, Apple TV, SONOS Connect
Triad Bronze Center, Triad Bronze LR-H Atmos, Elan inwall surrounds, Velodyne Subs,
Savant Remote, Harmony Ultimate Home remote
Xbox 1 S
"It ain't 4K if it ain't shot in 4K"
post #14 of 19 Old 06-18-2016, 04:03 PM

Yeah in fact I have my Oppo and my Samsung UHD blu ray players showing on the home screen. But they show up as DVD player and BluRay player. Also you have the option of adding all kinds of functions for your Denon 910. I have spoke to the Ray folks and requested a navigation button as most other items on the menu have, to offer a seamless experience between devices. They seemed receptive to the idea, time will only tell now. So right now I have to hit the button labeled "cursor right, cursor left, cursor enter, etc..." But all the buttons seem to be available in the menu of buttons you can add. It is very customizable. And it's very easy to add these additional buttons.

Quote:

post #15 of 19 Old 06-18-2016, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Thanks, guess I'll pull the trigger and order one up. I'm guessing it should play well with my Samsung TV also.

post #16 of 19 Old 06-18-2016, 04:22 PM

NP, You have any questions I'd be glad to help but their customer support is incredible. After I had contacted them with some questions they called me a couple of days later to see how everything was going, this blew me away, I haven't seen customer service like that in years if ever lol. I believe the person that helped me was Bella she was awesome! This thing seems to be really programmable so if you have input they'd like to hear about it. BTW, this replaced 7 remotes. Oh and sorry for being a bit redundant I just noticed some of this is the same as my earlier review. Its been a while since I have read it.

Quote:
Thanks, guess I'll pull the trigger and order one up. I'm guessing it should play well with my Samsung TV also.

Last edited by MtnBiker2001; 06-18-2016 at 04:30 PM.
post #17 of 19 Old 07-20-2016, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by azz7686 View Post
Hey anymore info on this remote? It is a sleek looking and pretty smart with the options it does have just don't think it would work with my equipment being out of sight.
Have had remote for about three months and I am currently on my second going on to my third when it comes in tomorrow. I works great except for a few learning features that have been passed on to Ray.co, but the major problem I have had since is the wifi. A message has shown up on the screen saying that there is no wifi available when there is and has been when I first got it. I got with someone at ray.co on a chat session who tried to help me by running quite a few remedies, but it did not solve the problem. Note: after a few attempts of hard factory restarts, I was able to get the remote to work, but it then began to say the same thing again. The person @ ray.co finally came to the conclusion that it needs to be replaced, so after giving the remote a chance to get back into the game, I called in and have it's replacement coming in tomorrow. Now when you start to setup the remote and it is looking for a wifi signal, it does state on the bottom of the screen to make sure that you have wifi that accepts 2.4GHz and I know that I have both 2.4GHz & 5GHz, so I can't see why it has trouble finding a good signal. I even went as far as restarting my modem and router, but it did not change anything with the ray remote.

I am wondering now if anyone else with a Ray Super Remote is having the same issue that I have had? Please lat me know if you do. Thanks....
post #18 of 19 Old 09-19-2016, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anymore updates on how people liking the remote?
post #19 of 19 Old 09-20-2016, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked: 540
I had a client just last week buy one from Amazon. I assisted in setup and eventually it was returned to Amazon. The biggest issue was lack of hard buttons. Eventually I put them in URC MX-1200 and programmed it in a few hours and he and his wife are happy. I guess manufacturers need to stop trying to re invent the wheel. Using a phone or something like the Ray remote is a rough transition for Gen X and Baby boomers who are used to a wand style remote. There are only so many ways to switch channels and a wand style remote with a touch screen is the best of both worlds.

I've paid for my sins. We're even!

Last edited by blackssr; 09-20-2016 at 10:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page