Remote for Windows 7--media players? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By bryansj

Old 02-27-2017, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Remote for Windows 7--media players?

I use Windows Media Player and VLC Player, but I hate to use a keyboard, mouse or touchpad for playback. Is there a remote (not-cell phone app) that would be good for this? Is there a remote that would do Windows 7 functions such as create folders, rename files, etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2017, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Most people switch to an actual media front end instead of a player. Using something like Kodi will allow for easy and intuitive remote playback and control.

See the HTPC sub forum.

Old 02-27-2017, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2161 Post(s)
Liked: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasta View Post
I use Windows Media Player and VLC Player, but I hate to use a keyboard, mouse or touchpad for playback. Is there a remote (not-cell phone app) that would be good for this? Is there a remote that would do Windows 7 functions such as create folders, rename files, etc?
A better front end is best. But any universal remote plus FLIRC can control those apps if you do enough programming. When you start asking for creating folders, renaming files, etc, how do you expect to do that with the buttons on a remote? It can be done, but it's going to be very awkward. You're back in keyboard/mouse territory. You can get remotes with directional pads, qwerty, trackballs, even touchpads. But I recommend you stick with a simple universal remote for WMP and VLC control and pull out the keyboard/mouse (or phone app) for file management rather than a remote monstrosity that does everything badly rather than one thing well.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. What are some good universal remotes? I love my Tivo remote, but I don't guess that can be used for anything else.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. What are some good universal remotes? I love my Tivo remote, but I don't guess that can be used for anything else.
You can use the TiVo remote with a FLIRC on your PC.
mdavej likes this.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:04 AM

Yep, you config FLIRC to respond to any signal from any remote. But it could get tricky if your Tivo remote isn't RF since a Play command, for example would send Play to both Tivo and whatever you're controlling on the PC (WMC, etc.). So not the best idea. Better to have a multi-device universal.

I think the OARUSB04G is a decent substitute for a Tivo remote. It's still peanut shaped with good ergonomics, cheap and can do 12 devices and activities plus unlimited length macros, toadtogs, power and input state tracking, device multiplexing (to go beyond 12 devices), shifted functions, fast macros, nested subroutines, and a 8 boolean flags. Of course you can put any function for any device on any button as well. Not bad for $8 shipped on ebay ($20 elsewhere).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/One-For-All-...-/262870263256
Old Yesterday, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Remote for computer

How do you get a universal remote control to control windows media player or VLC player on a Windows 7 PC? They all have codes for various brands of TV's, but how do you set up for a pc?
Old Yesterday, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How do you get a universal remote control to control windows media player or VLC player on a Windows 7 PC? They all have codes for various brands of TV's, but how do you set up for a pc?
Get a FLIRC from Amazon. Program any device into your remote and map those commands to the keyboard shortcuts for the media player of your choosing with the FLIRC software.

Old Today, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter

OARUSB04G remote

I was looking at the OARUSB04G remote, but how do you get it to control Windows Media Player or VLC Player?
Old Today, 04:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was looking at the OARUSB04G remote, but how do you get it to control Windows Media Player or VLC Player?
I guess you just hope that it happens to work. EventGhost might allow you to reprogram the default key mappings to be compatible with those players.

Unless you are planning on using Windows Media CENTER, which is what they remote is for, then I'd get the FLIRC.

Old Today, 07:33 AM

That remote has MCE codes built in. So either get an MCE IR dongle or and FLIRC dongle, your choice. The OAR can shoot any IR code for any device. As Bryan says, FLIRC is best since you want to also control VLC. In any case, the OAR can do it.

With FLIRC the codes you use don't matter. Your biggest task will be learning how to setup up FLIRC and/or EventGhost, not figuring out the remote, whatever you end up with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement