Harmony smart control and samsung ks8000 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-06-2017, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Harmony smart control and samsung ks8000

I am trying to program this remote to use the apps. This is because the samsung tv remote when you press home does not start in the same place as always. Let me explain. When the tv is powered on from a powered off state there are no issues because when you press "menu" its in the same place. So I can program the remote to do an activity like "home,right,right,select" to play netflix. The issue is if I am watching lets say youtube via the samsung app and I press "home" it start on the youtube app. So the issue is that since when I press "home" it doesnt default to a position. I have looked around the tv settings and cant see anything.

How do I fix this or what am I missing since the remote doesnt have a "real" programming function like. If state = youtube via app then do "left,select", elif state = powered off then power on "menu, right, right, select" to play netflix.

Thanks,
Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2017, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpolachak View Post
I am trying to program this remote to use the apps. This is because the samsung tv remote when you press home does not start in the same place as always. Let me explain. When the tv is powered on from a powered off state there are no issues because when you press "menu" its in the same place. So I can program the remote to do an activity like "home,right,right,select" to play netflix. The issue is if I am watching lets say youtube via the samsung app and I press "home" it start on the youtube app. So the issue is that since when I press "home" it doesnt default to a position. I have looked around the tv settings and cant see anything.

How do I fix this or what am I missing since the remote doesnt have a "real" programming function like. If state = youtube via app then do "left,select", elif state = powered off then power on "menu, right, right, select" to play netflix.

Thanks,
Jason
Disclaimer: My advice probably will not help your issue. I own the ks8000 and 8500 and I also own the logitech elite and smart control remote. I use the elite in the bdr/living room and I use the smart control in the living room 100% of the time.

One of the first thing I did on the tvs was disable internet (yes i did that) because samsung and their ******* greedy executives decided to shove ads randomly down the bottom of the menu when u invoke the home key. Since I don't care for the smart built-in apps part of this tv (I use amazon fire tv sticks on both tvs), I disabled internet on the tv by leaving the ip address in tact but changed the dns to a random value. After that, I was able to program the harmony remote to do the sequence without the ads messing with my sequence.

To answer your question partially, I don't think what you want done is possible but I could be wrong since Logitech have no clue what /how the built-in apps work along with their app-specific commands (hence why u get undesired results from your command sequence). I'd recommend going the set top box route. For instance, I can create an activity called Watch Firetv bedroom which turns on the tv, switches source, and automatically lets me control the fire stick and it works well. If you have the elite remote, you can even add specific buttons to the remote screen to launch specific apps with one tap.

Hope my explanation isn't confusing. gl.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpolachak View Post

Thanks,
Jason

Jason, I ran into the same problem as you and have found no solution other than to create an activity alone for youtube using Home, right, right and select. If I wanna go back to another app, I just reselect "Watch TV" and then select another app that has been created using an activity. I wish there was a better way also.

Note, this is using both a KS8000 & KS9800.

Old Today, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
hi, problem is that when you are in smart app, such as youtube, once you turn tv off and back on - you are not at the beginning of the smart apps list, but instead are on same spot - youtube ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement