What Remote? Need assistance - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-16-2017, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Question What Remote? Need assistance

I just picked up a Denon AVR 1709 that was missing the remote, I can try to grab a used one (RC-1098) online for about $25, but was thinking a universal remote might work out better?

What are my otions to pick up a remote for a basic AVR that can be programmed to work with this unit? Sorry for the newb question here...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-16-2017, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 2257 Post(s)
Liked: 986
A JP1 remote like the $15 Nevo C2 from ebay can directly control all 400+ functions of your receiver plus 17 more devices, far more than the original Denon remote. Plus it has a screen that nicely labels every function, is backlit, does learning, macros, activities, favorites, etc. A $50 Harmony would work about the same way.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/inde...sight_and_Nevo

One great thing about Denon is the discrete input commands act like discrete on as well, so your macros are really simple and fast - just send the appropriate input command to Denon and power command to TV and other sources.

In any case, any universal can control your Denon, at least the basic power and vol commands. But I highly recommend the one above or Harmony for the most functionality and ease of use.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-28-2017, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I got one of those Nevo remotes about a year or so ago and was sort of impressed. It doesn't have acces to software any longer, although you can set it up on board and it did a fairly decent job although not a complete job. It was fairly intuitive though. For a small system or just a receiver or a tv, it would make a nice remote. I'm not 100% sure we are talking about the same remote, but, I think so, it was first made by Acoustic Research and then made by Audiovox. They can be had for next to nothing on eBay. One thing I remember I liked about it was the light turned on when you picked it up. I am a URC fan, I think they are heads and shoulders above any other remote on the market quality and flexibility wise. They can be configured to do about anything you want them to. If you want a good one that's easy to set up try an R40. It will do as much or little as you want with a fairly easy set up and has learning capability, which is what URC is famous for, and makes it perfect to customize the remote to just your liking. You can always expand your system as much as you want also, because I believe it will handle up to 48 devices and has almost unlimited macros.

post #4 of 6 Old 08-28-2017, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
i like the logitech remotes since you program the screen with so many different options and have one button do multiple different things at once
post #5 of 6 Old 08-28-2017, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 2257 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbpat1 View Post
I got one of those Nevo remotes about a year or so ago and was sort of impressed. It doesn't have acces to software any longer, although you can set it up on board and it did a fairly decent job although not a complete job. It was fairly intuitive though. For a small system or just a receiver or a tv, it would make a nice remote. I'm not 100% sure we are talking about the same remote, but, I think so, it was first made by Acoustic Research and then made by Audiovox. They can be had for next to nothing on eBay. One thing I remember I liked about it was the light turned on when you picked it up.
Same remote. Actually UEI made with models under the One-For-All, Nevo and Acoustic Research brands. So on-board code database is top notch. JP1 community wrote their own software for it which is far better than the old EZ-RC website, so it can still be fully programmed using Remote Master. That also gives you direct access to the JP1 device database. Still the best value around IMO. URC is fantastic and a lot more remote, but also much more expensive and tricky getting the software for. Nevo does just about everything the average person would need (learning, macros with variable length pauses or durations for each step, key group mapping, activities, icons/logos, on-screen buttons, favorites, pronto hex import, device specific macros, global or activity based volume punch thru, 18 devices), about the same as a Harmony costing 10x as much. RF version also directly controls some home automation devices even if you don't have a hub. Like URC but unlike Harmony, you have full control over the contents of your macros.

In any case, I was just putting a cheap universal out there for the OP that didn't cost any more than an OEM Denon remote. Sky's the limit for pro universal remotes.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-29-2017, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ah, I see, I must have had the old one then , because I remember something about EZ-RC mentioned in the literature but the website had been shut down already, so, what I did was on board. I got it to run an LG TV, Marantz SR 5007 surround system, Marantz UD 5007 Bluray and a Roku and all the macros by programming it on board. It wasn't easy and it took a lot of tweaking over several weeks but it worked. Once I got it working as good as it could work I went back to my URC remote, it just was what I was used to, but the Nevo was a nice remote and did what was asked of it. If it has an improved interface it would be even better. It was a lot of fun tinkering with, that's for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page