Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #1 of 33 Old 08-19-2017, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Neeo remote now shipping

For anyone who may be interested the crowd funded Neeo seems to be shipping to those who contributed and pre-orders. I did not support this venture but stumbled across it quite awhile back and kept up with it's progress as it seemed like a very interesting product (though not cheap). I look forward to some reviews to see if it lives up to high expectations.
Scott Allen Logan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 08-19-2017, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I've been dying for this news for pushing three years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 33 Old 08-20-2017, 10:44 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I ordered one of these for my nephews graduation. Insert joke here.

Mark Conner

post #4 of 33 Old 08-21-2017, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What is neeo?
post #5 of 33 Old 08-21-2017, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbpat1 View Post
What is neeo?
Do an internet search for neeo and their site will come up (photos, description, buy link) - it is a remote control +"brain" designed to replace many separate remotes and control some smart home functions. It's been a long time coming but looks very interesting, it was developed by a small start-up.
post #6 of 33 Old 08-21-2017, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbpat1 View Post
What is neeo?
It's like a Harmony Elite with the Home Hub. I'd suggest waiting for reviews.

post #7 of 33 Old 08-30-2017, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Just got confirmation from UPS and an email from Neeo that a Neoo emote is headed my way.

Sony XBR55A1E
post #8 of 33 Old 08-30-2017, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hopefully the bug fixes get sent out quicker than the hardware.

post #9 of 33 Old 08-30-2017, 01:24 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
Hopefully the bug fixes get sent out quicker than the hardware.
How do you program this thing?
post #10 of 33 Old 08-31-2017, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidrj View Post
How do you program this thing?
I believe you use your smart phone. There is an IOS app and an Android App.

Sony XBR55A1E
post #11 of 33 Old 08-31-2017, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkeegan View Post
Just got confirmation from UPS and an email from Neeo that a Neoo emote is headed my way.
Please give us your impressions after you've had a chance to get it set up and used for a bit - congrats and hope it is a quality product
post #12 of 33 Old 09-03-2017, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Received my NEEO yesterday. It came elegantly packaged and I'm now in the process of setting it all up. My initial impression of equipment: The remote is well made, screen looks sharp, buttons have a nice feel. The charging base works well, keeps remote vertical. The brain seems ok.

You need a smart phone, android or IOS to get the NEEO app. App is what you use to program the remote.

I'm still on my first macro which involves starting my TV, a SONY A1E, switching it to HDMI 1 input, starting my Receiver, a Beosystem 4 by giving it the TV command (The Beosystem 4 has been set up to recognize the TV command as a power on and selection of the correct HDMI input) and starting my Channel Master DVR+. All the previous components mentioned are in the NEEO database. Currently the recipe works to bring up the components for watching OTA via the DVR+. Nice! The remote buttons were automatically assigned to what you expect they would be associated with: Volume and Mute to Beosystem 4, Menu (Guide), Back, CH+and -, Ring Navigation to the DVR+.

The 3x2" display looks great and the first screen displayed is TV Favorites which can be programmed via the Smart Phone App. You start by entering the channel name ie. CBS at which point a CBS icon is displayed and which can be assigned to a channel number on the DVR+ via a popup keyboard in the app. An issue was discovered concerning the popup keyboard as it shows a dash -, which hasn't been programmed to a dot . which is what is needed for subchannels.

On the remote it has a Off button which is supposed to shutdown the equipment started in the recipe. Its actually a separate recipe which can be edited. In my case it shutdowns the TV and the DVR+ but unfortunately doesn't shutdown the Beosystem 4. I did get it to shutdown the Beosystem 4 (User Error).

So the NEEO looks great but it has some minor bugs that need work. Currently it can not learn an IR command from a component remote but NEEO is supposedly working on it. They have a very active forum and the (CEO) creator has actually contacted people to help them out.
tebling likes this.

Sony XBR55A1E

Last edited by pkeegan; 09-04-2017 at 03:57 PM. Reason: add pic. user error
post #13 of 33 Old 09-03-2017, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

NEEOs website for forums is https://planet.neeo.com/category/discussions

Here people from NEEO and users are posting solutions and issues.

Sony XBR55A1E
post #14 of 33 Old 09-04-2017, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2277 Post(s)
Liked: 992
Thanks for the review. Sounds very promising. I see lots of reports of missing codes, which is to be expected with any universal remote. How does one add new commands to Neeo besides learning or asking support to add them? Is there any way to import codes from other sources, like pronto hex?

Is "recipe" their terminology for "macro/activity" or yours? Can you edit the individual steps and delays in a recipe, or is it wizard driven like Harmony?
post #15 of 33 Old 09-04-2017, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
How does one add new commands to Neeo besides learning or asking support to add them? Is there any way to import codes from other sources, like pronto hex?
Is "recipe" their terminology for "macro/activity" or yours? Can you edit the individual steps and delays in a recipe, or is it wizard driven like Harmony?
"Recipe" is a NEEO terminology. It is essentially a macro with commands and timers that can all be modified. Wizzards are used in initially adding a device such as a DVR. These Wizzards will then create an initial recipe for this device. This recipe can then be modified.

There currently is no way for the user to import codes/commands other than a Device Inclusion request to NEEO through Neeo.com or perhaps a request on a discussion forum at planet.neeo.com. Supposedly they are working on the ability to learn IR codes from user remotes.

One thing I noted in setting up my DVR+ was that hardkeys are programmed when the device is added and in use.I don't know how to modify their selection. Their choices for the buttons was pretty straight forward. After using the remote I didn't see how to access previous finished recordings. Turns out some buttons on the remote can issue different commands based on whether you give the button a quick push or a longer push . If I give a quick push on the MENU button the OTA guide appears but if I push the MENU button a little bit longer the DVR+ device menu appears and I can get access to other settings and any previous recordings . I found a topic on this in their discussion forum so I tried it and voila, as I had gone to the discussion board to post a bug about not being able to access the recordings.

Sony XBR55A1E
post #16 of 33 Old 09-04-2017, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

One thing I should mention is the remote has a very nice feel about it. Easy one hand operation. Doesn't feel cheap. Great touch screen.

Sony XBR55A1E
post #17 of 33 Old 09-06-2017, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkeegan View Post
One thing I should mention is the remote has a very nice feel about it. Easy one hand operation. Doesn't feel cheap. Great touch screen.
Thanks for reporting back, I was just over at "Planet Neeo" (forum) and it seems fair amount of features/function issues which I hope can be addressed or fixed. I think any universal remote has issues since it is trying to cover a lot of bases, and the willingness of the manufacturer to follow up with ongoing support is critical. A number of the posts are very complimentary on the design and build quality, so I will keep this remote on the "maybe" list.
damon likes this.
post #18 of 33 Old 09-07-2017, 04:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hopefully it isn't a polished turd. Curious to see if the release patches quicker than the released the remote. Harmony needs some competition.

post #19 of 33 Old 09-07-2017, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

I don't want to sound as this remote is without issues. It has them but I do feel the company is working on solving them.

FYI,
Three days ago, Sept 4th, I requested a device be added via the Device Request on Neeo.com. I was notified via email today, Set 7th, that the device had been programmed and added to their database. Now I have to wait for their servers to be updated. Overall I think its a quick turnaround.

The device is a Xantech 680-10 IR controlled 6 outlet power strip. Originally I was planning on using the learn IR function to control but as that has been delayed I did the device inclusion request.

Update: NEEO did install the device and I was able to turn all the outlets all on and all off. I notified NEEO support that these outlets also have individual control with Toggle . Momentary etc. They updated the device and now have full control of the individual outlets. Example: One outlet has a curio cabinet light attached. I was able to create a recipe that allows me to toggle the light on/off. I'm impressed with their support team.
damon likes this.

Sony XBR55A1E

Last edited by pkeegan; 09-08-2017 at 04:59 PM.
post #20 of 33 Old 09-08-2017, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Just a quick update of my experience so far.

I have a Channel Master DVR+ which I use for OTA viewing and recording. Its startup recipe starts my TV, selects the correct TV input, starts up my receiver, selects the correct input, powers up the DVR+, and now starts fans that are plugged into the Xantech power strip. All the startups are working correctly.
Only remaining primary issue for me is that the IR code for the decimal point is missing from the DVR+.

Again a couple of days ago I mention in their forum that the TV input selection of HDMI 2 input was bringing up HDMI 3, HDMI 3 was bringing up HDMI 4 and HDMI 4 was bringing up HDMI 4. That has all been fixed.

I also have an a 4K UHD Blu-ray player the Oppo 203. While its not in their supported list I know its IR codes are the same as previous models which are in their supported list.
The NEEO has now been programmed to start the TV, selects the correct input, starts the receiver with the correct input selected and plays the disc in the player and starts the appropriate fans. I haven't played any discs completely yet, only tested the recipe. But so far so good.

From the discussion thread I think the biggest issue is the initial setup. The remote has a separate "BRAIN". In the initial setup it must be connected via hardwire ethernet to your router and in subsequent steps it must be connected to your WiFi. If you can do this via the recommended steps you are golden else problems occur. I have had no issues the others have.

Sony XBR55A1E
post #21 of 33 Old 09-10-2017, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My experience with the Neeo remote that I received about a week ago has been abysmal.

The packaging is nice, if wasteful, over done, and pretentious. The software is very glitchy. Many devices are not supported (even though they say they are), there isn't any ability to learn custom commands, even after several days of back-and-forth with support, they haven't been able to map the inputs correctly for my receiver (Denon 3808), they have essentially given up on correctly mapping the inputs for my Pioneer KRP-500M, it took several revisions to get my HDMI switches working correctly. They call devices that they don't correctly support "stupid" in the remote UI (even though it is clearly the remote's fault), and make you dismiss screens every time you use such a device telling you to turn it on etc. In general, it takes about 24 hours for them to make and propagate any change to a device profile. There is very little ability to customize the button layouts, power on macros, or really anything. While I haven't been able to get enough of the issues resolved (again, after several days of back-and-forth) to get the remote to the basic functionality of being able to switch to all the different inputs (even after I have re-wired several of my devices to make them as compatible as possible with the Neeo), from the little that I have used it, it looks like the battery will be lucky to make it a day (also you can't adjust the screen brightness, and the hard buttons aren't illuminated). Almost none of the advanced features advertised made it into the final product. It's a device that's 2.5 years late, and isn't as functional as a bargain bin remote from a decade ago. I am also very concerned about the cloud-dependance of the remote. Given my experience thus far, I don't think Neeo will be in business long, at which point it will probably be impossible to make changes to the configuration, and perhaps completely unusable.

AVOID.
post #22 of 33 Old 09-10-2017, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 221
I kinda wonder what type of customer would buy this. "Ooh look how simple it is, you can control everything using the touchscreen". I looked at a lot of universal remote offerings before I purchased a Control 4 system. In a dark room/dark theater, the buttons on the remote will illuminate when the remote is moved and they illuminate just enough to be perfectly visible in a dark room, but do not create a bright beacon of light in your hand. The Control 4 remote has a lot of buttons, but you can quickly learn to use it without ever looking at the remote. Good design and well thought out ergonomics. I would never want any type of remote that used a touchscreen - you really cannot operate it without looking directly at it.

Packing a lot of sound into a small room.
268 square feet/2144 cubic feet
7.2 surround sound.
post #23 of 33 Old 09-10-2017, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durandal View Post
My experience with the Neeo remote that I received about a week ago has been abysmal.

The packaging is nice, if wasteful, over done, and pretentious. The software is very glitchy. Many devices are not supported (even though they say they are), there isn't any ability to learn custom commands, even after several days of back-and-forth with support, they haven't been able to map the inputs correctly for my receiver (Denon 3808), they have essentially given up on correctly mapping the inputs for my Pioneer KRP-500M, it took several revisions to get my HDMI switches working correctly. They call devices that they don't correctly support "stupid" in the remote UI (even though it is clearly the remote's fault), and make you dismiss screens every time you use such a device telling you to turn it on etc. In general, it takes about 24 hours for them to make and propagate any change to a device profile. There is very little ability to customize the button layouts, power on macros, or really anything. While I haven't been able to get enough of the issues resolved (again, after several days of back-and-forth) to get the remote to the basic functionality of being able to switch to all the different inputs (even after I have re-wired several of my devices to make them as compatible as possible with the Neeo), from the little that I have used it, it looks like the battery will be lucky to make it a day (also you can't adjust the screen brightness, and the hard buttons aren't illuminated). Almost none of the advanced features advertised made it into the final product. It's a device that's 2.5 years late, and isn't as functional as a bargain bin remote from a decade ago. I am also very concerned about the cloud-dependance of the remote. Given my experience thus far, I don't think Neeo will be in business long, at which point it will probably be impossible to make changes to the configuration, and perhaps completely unusable.

AVOID.
Cut you loses and throw it up on eBay. You may even make a profit.

post #24 of 33 Old 09-11-2017, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

On the SW setup menu under the remote is an "enable link" option. What does this do??

Mark Conner
post #25 of 33 Old 09-11-2017, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon View Post
On the SW setup menu under the remote is an "enable link" option. What does this do??
I could be wrong but I believe it allows the remote to talk directly to the brain as opposed to going thru your Wifi router.
The best place to get the correct answer would be to post the question on the discussion forum of planet.neeo.com .
damon likes this.

Sony XBR55A1E
post #26 of 33 Old 09-12-2017, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Neeo Remote Initial Impression

I received my Neeo yesterday and to be quite honest, I was a bit frustrated at first. It was not as seamless as it was presented to be, however I believe with some firmware updates it can be. As any early adopter knows, there are going to be issues that get worked through, the question is how fast. I was able to work out most of its kinks and reached out to Neeo on issues that I could not remedy. They have an amazing support team at Planet Neeo. I have received response on all of the issues I have posted about. I have been promised a fix on one as early as tomorrow.

The hardware and interface is beautiful and well thought out. I have used Harmony remotes in the past and this blows them out of the water as far as ascetics and interface. I will frequent back to this thread and answer any questions I can as they come.
damon likes this.

Pioneer SC-LX801: Atmos 5.2.4
Def. Tech. 8060 Fronts & Center - 8040 Surrounds
Def. Tech. XTR-20BP (4) Atmos Ceiling Mounted
Sony 55" XBR850B l Neeo Universal Remote
Oppo 203 l PS4 l Xbox One l Apple TV4K
post #27 of 33 Old 09-12-2017, 11:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by everettcox22 View Post
I received my Neeo yesterday and to be quite honest, I was a bit frustrated at first. It was not as seamless as it was presented to be, however I believe with some firmware updates it can be. As any early adopter knows, there are going to be issues that get worked through, the question is how fast. I was able to work out most of its kinks and reached out to Neeo on issues that I could not remedy. They have an amazing support team at Planet Neeo. I have received response on all of the issues I have posted about. I have been promised a fix on one as early as tomorrow.

The hardware and interface is beautiful and well thought out. I have used Harmony remotes in the past and this blows them out of the water as far as ascetics and interface. I will frequent back to this thread and answer any questions I can as they come.
I had one on pre order, but didn't know when it was going to ship and I found a black cat edition brand new sealed on ebay about 6 hours from me which was also cheaper then my pre order. i snagged that and received it today.

Hardware wise it is pretty nice. the IR from the brain doesn't appear to be as robust as the demos made it out to be, but it's pretty damn good. Only one device is having an issue and I can probably remedy that with some positioning. The 2 locations I wanted to place the brain works for basically all devices except that one. luckily one is a location where I can run the IR extender.

Overall the set up wasn't bad, but it's not as seamless and straight forward as one would think. Also the order in which certain process' take place is odd. I would think firmware first then devices, not devices, then firmware.

Overall with a few small changes, it could be a real winner. Some simple quality of life changes, going between recipes, turns off device not in use. Ex. going from cable box to xbox one s turns off cable box, and vice versa, but leaves tv and AVR on. just simple stuff. better way to enter favorites. I'm not quite ready to unhook the harmony elite just yet, but if I get things set the way I like them soon. I will put it on hiatus for a bit
damon likes this.

LivingRoom: LG OLED65E6P/Oppo UDP-203/Anthem MRX 1120/SVS SB16 ULTRA/M5300-PM/Paradigm 85F, 45c, Mythos Gem XL x4, SVS Prime Elevation x4 (atmos)/PS4 Pro/Xbox One S/Switch/AppleTV
Bedroom: Panasonic 65ZT60 / Oppo BDP103D / Apple TV / PS3
Office: Pioneer KRP-500M / Xbox 360
CalMan Enthusiast, ChromaPure, HCFR, i1D3 Pro, i1Pro, SpectraCal C6 2000, MobileForge, Lightspace, Umik1
post #28 of 33 Old 09-14-2017, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

I am a bit behind the learning curve compared to most here concerning remotes.

My biggest issue with the Neeo so far has been that the supplied network cable fit so tightly into "the Brain" that I thought I was going to tear out its internals removing it. That issue seems to have lessened now that I got it unplugged a few times.

I was a bit perplexed at the lack of instructions inside the box upon arrival but in my excitement upon finally getting my Neeo I had days before loaded the app onto my phone. That quickly got me on the correct path. I suspect that my eero network momentarily confused the Neeo's remote/brain interface with its dual outputs but that issue went away after I left the remote in its base for awhile.

I am not asking much of mine at the present as I go about familiarizing myself with the product. I do like the high quality feel of the remote and its sturdy base.

Mark Conner

Last edited by damon; 09-14-2017 at 07:52 AM.
post #29 of 33 Old 09-15-2017, 01:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 185
SUPER LONG READ. Review and Comparison to Harmony Elite, Savant Remote and NEEO

So I've had a few days now with the NEEO remote and so far I'm liking it. I do feel it is not 100% ready to replace my daily driver which is currently a Harmony Elite. Prior to receiving the NEEO I hooked up my Savant Remote and used that for a bit just so I could get a good base on what I felt I wasn't getting with Savant and Harmony.
So to start I will say that they are all nice devices, having any of them would ideally work for what someone is trying to do if your device is in the databases they all have their strong points as well as weak points.
So starting with the Harmony Elite. It is by far the most complete package. As it should be they have been in this space pretty much unchallenged for a very long time. The issues I have always had with Harmony is it seems after time the hardware begins to fail. Ex. Randomly the remote will stop responding and I have to do a fix it. May not update, or lock up during update at like 98%. Their app is not the greatest but the web interface makes up for it.
It is by far the most customizable with set up. Being able to use my own icons, create small macros, assign buttons, and commands from multiple devices that are associated with an activity on the screen. Channel provider listings, ergonomically the button placement makes a lot of sense. Remote remembers state, and handles transitions well. Overall very solid device. That being the case doesn’t mean there isn’t room for improvement. A lot of the smart home buttons on the remote I rarely use unless I need to turn off a light that was either turned on accidently or I forgot to turn off. The physical buttons for the r, g, b, y need to go. At times the remote feels cluttered.

So I went on to the Savant remote. This remote has a very premium feel to it. Nice fast touch screen, responsive, allows for profiles, just the right amount of physical keys. The only thing I would change on the layout is moving the media buttons for play, pause, etc. It basically has all the buttons the Elite has minus the r, g, b, y and smart home buttons. They have a voice command though which works amazingly.
The ability to capture scenes is cool also. Have a setting you like at the moment, just capture it and it is saved, and you can launch that same scene anytime. The app is very well laid out and super easy to use. The adding of devices and testing them I’m not a huge fan of but it gets you through it.
The only reason that this did not replace the Elite is because it doesn’t support Philips Hue and LiFX unless you upgrade to a Pro license and get a new hub. Which increases the cost quite a bit but…it unlocks a lot of stuff with it when you do that.
The biggest downside of it now is that they really don’t support it as the base, but you can upgrade it to a Pro for like 80 dollars. I don’t think the host will control Hue though unless you upgrade that as well.
The interesting thing about this one is the Host just handles the networking. No other functions, the IR codes are sent from the base, or you can use the wireless battery powered blasters. They are kind of pricey but work well. They may be needed, because of where someone may need to place the base.
It handles current device state, and transitioning better than the Elite, it’s quicker and snappier. Has a similar fix it function. Channel listings, etc.
What’s missing from the harmony is the ability to customize the screen add buttons for various items you need. It makes you go into devices to access some things. It really lays out the super bare minimum you would probably need. I would have liked to be able to add buttons, control delays etc, but doing that though would take away from the super clean look it always has. Again it gives off a very premium feel, and look. If it supported ZigBee and Z Wave devices, like Hue, and LiFX I would have just used this all the time. I honestly feel that if they marketed it better, and added support for items like that they could have been a huge force in this space for consumers in the DIY, and not full blown home automation.
Then we finally get to NEEO. Is NEEO perfect? No. I didn’t expect it to be, neither are the other 2 remotes I listed. If they were I wouldn’t have been looking at NEEO.
So with NEEO, it feels pretty premium also, but in a much different way. It almost reminds me of a smart phone, a very tall, thin smart phone but that’s what it reminds me of, or a remote that came with a high end product and it is a remote just for that product.
Super heavy sturdy base. I like that. I was expecting the brain to be the same but its super light. Between the 3 devices, it outperforms the other 2 with sending IR codes by far. I couldn’t get it to work behind a couch or anything but it worked when the other 2 bases failed on all but 1 device. It was consistent and snappy. Already a +1 for NEEO. I moved the brain to a few different locations and I hit every device. Once I placed it exactly where I wanted it, I had to use the IR extender to get one, but the others are solid without it.
The only thing I wish it had on the remote itself was physical media buttons. When I’m watching a movie in the dark I don’t want to have to look at the screen to see what I’m hitting. I knew it didn’t have them, but I didn’t realize how much I would miss them. The brain I honestly feel the HDMI port on it is a waste and a 2nd IR extender port would have been better utilized.
Now on to the set up. Initial set up was easy. Found all my devices, got them added, firmware updated, etc. I was expecting certain questions and flows, they didn’t come during set up. They came after. Which is odd to me. Then I realized it was just adding the devices and not really making a recipe. Seems like that could have been done all at once. No big deal. Just strange flow.
NEEO kind of seems to handle current state ok, if your device works with discreet commands. If not it really. Transitions in recipes do not really exist. You can add the power off command to other devices, which is what Harmony does and I assume Savant since they both do it. Harmony asks in the wizard when making the activity Savant does at some point iirc. Adding a step like that in the recipe wizard would be ideal.
It doesn’t have channel listings as of yet (not sure if something like that is coming) so adding favorites is a pain. Maybe I’m just lazy…actually I know I’m lazy lol.
Considering I think that’s pretty damn good. I know it didn’t have the media buttons going in, so my only real complaints are transitioning and channel listings. Considering the team is not Savant a huge luxury home automation company, or Logitech who makes peripherals for everything under the sun NEEO’s teams efforts are impressive.

Small quality of life changes would be nice. Small things though. Defaulting page, adding buttons for specific actions on one scree from any device in the recipe, maybe allowing for changing of icons and their size. More instructions and tips.
The biggest draw I see with sticking with the remote for a while is you have a team that is fully engaged and committed. Logitech has forums, which is nice, but you probably aren’t talking to and of the developers. Getting codes, and fixes when needed. Savant support is like non exist net and you can’t even get into the community forums from what I see because it’s for integrators.
I would say it’s worth a go if you are interested. Just have to go in knowing it’s a brand new product. There is going to be issues here and there. Hopefully a community of users will grow. Many on Planet NEEO are very helpful.

LivingRoom: LG OLED65E6P/Oppo UDP-203/Anthem MRX 1120/SVS SB16 ULTRA/M5300-PM/Paradigm 85F, 45c, Mythos Gem XL x4, SVS Prime Elevation x4 (atmos)/PS4 Pro/Xbox One S/Switch/AppleTV
Bedroom: Panasonic 65ZT60 / Oppo BDP103D / Apple TV / PS3
Office: Pioneer KRP-500M / Xbox 360
CalMan Enthusiast, ChromaPure, HCFR, i1D3 Pro, i1Pro, SpectraCal C6 2000, MobileForge, Lightspace, Umik1
post #30 of 33 Old 09-15-2017, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie2980 View Post
SUPER LONG READ. Review and Comparison to Harmony Elite, Savant Remote and NEEO

So I've had a few days now with the NEEO remote and so far I'm liking it. I do feel it is not 100% ready to replace my daily driver which is currently a Harmony Elite. Prior to receiving the NEEO I hooked up my Savant Remote and used that for a bit just so I could get a good base on what I felt I wasn't getting with Savant and Harmony.
So to start I will say that they are all nice devices, having any of them would ideally work for what someone is trying to do if your device is in the databases they all have their strong points as well as weak points.
So starting with the Harmony Elite. It is by far the most complete package. As it should be they have been in this space pretty much unchallenged for a very long time. The issues I have always had with Harmony is it seems after time the hardware begins to fail. Ex. Randomly the remote will stop responding and I have to do a fix it. May not update, or lock up during update at like 98%. Their app is not the greatest but the web interface makes up for it.
It is by far the most customizable with set up. Being able to use my own icons, create small macros, assign buttons, and commands from multiple devices that are associated with an activity on the screen. Channel provider listings, ergonomically the button placement makes a lot of sense. Remote remembers state, and handles transitions well. Overall very solid device. That being the case doesn’t mean there isn’t room for improvement. A lot of the smart home buttons on the remote I rarely use unless I need to turn off a light that was either turned on accidently or I forgot to turn off. The physical buttons for the r, g, b, y need to go. At times the remote feels cluttered.

So I went on to the Savant remote. This remote has a very premium feel to it. Nice fast touch screen, responsive, allows for profiles, just the right amount of physical keys. The only thing I would change on the layout is moving the media buttons for play, pause, etc. It basically has all the buttons the Elite has minus the r, g, b, y and smart home buttons. They have a voice command though which works amazingly.
The ability to capture scenes is cool also. Have a setting you like at the moment, just capture it and it is saved, and you can launch that same scene anytime. The app is very well laid out and super easy to use. The adding of devices and testing them I’m not a huge fan of but it gets you through it.
The only reason that this did not replace the Elite is because it doesn’t support Philips Hue and LiFX unless you upgrade to a Pro license and get a new hub. Which increases the cost quite a bit but…it unlocks a lot of stuff with it when you do that.
The biggest downside of it now is that they really don’t support it as the base, but you can upgrade it to a Pro for like 80 dollars. I don’t think the host will control Hue though unless you upgrade that as well.
The interesting thing about this one is the Host just handles the networking. No other functions, the IR codes are sent from the base, or you can use the wireless battery powered blasters. They are kind of pricey but work well. They may be needed, because of where someone may need to place the base.
It handles current device state, and transitioning better than the Elite, it’s quicker and snappier. Has a similar fix it function. Channel listings, etc.
What’s missing from the harmony is the ability to customize the screen add buttons for various items you need. It makes you go into devices to access some things. It really lays out the super bare minimum you would probably need. I would have liked to be able to add buttons, control delays etc, but doing that though would take away from the super clean look it always has. Again it gives off a very premium feel, and look. If it supported ZigBee and Z Wave devices, like Hue, and LiFX I would have just used this all the time. I honestly feel that if they marketed it better, and added support for items like that they could have been a huge force in this space for consumers in the DIY, and not full blown home automation.
Then we finally get to NEEO. Is NEEO perfect? No. I didn’t expect it to be, neither are the other 2 remotes I listed. If they were I wouldn’t have been looking at NEEO.
So with NEEO, it feels pretty premium also, but in a much different way. It almost reminds me of a smart phone, a very tall, thin smart phone but that’s what it reminds me of, or a remote that came with a high end product and it is a remote just for that product.
Super heavy sturdy base. I like that. I was expecting the brain to be the same but its super light. Between the 3 devices, it outperforms the other 2 with sending IR codes by far. I couldn’t get it to work behind a couch or anything but it worked when the other 2 bases failed on all but 1 device. It was consistent and snappy. Already a +1 for NEEO. I moved the brain to a few different locations and I hit every device. Once I placed it exactly where I wanted it, I had to use the IR extender to get one, but the others are solid without it.
The only thing I wish it had on the remote itself was physical media buttons. When I’m watching a movie in the dark I don’t want to have to look at the screen to see what I’m hitting. I knew it didn’t have them, but I didn’t realize how much I would miss them. The brain I honestly feel the HDMI port on it is a waste and a 2nd IR extender port would have been better utilized.
Now on to the set up. Initial set up was easy. Found all my devices, got them added, firmware updated, etc. I was expecting certain questions and flows, they didn’t come during set up. They came after. Which is odd to me. Then I realized it was just adding the devices and not really making a recipe. Seems like that could have been done all at once. No big deal. Just strange flow.
NEEO kind of seems to handle current state ok, if your device works with discreet commands. If not it really. Transitions in recipes do not really exist. You can add the power off command to other devices, which is what Harmony does and I assume Savant since they both do it. Harmony asks in the wizard when making the activity Savant does at some point iirc. Adding a step like that in the recipe wizard would be ideal.
It doesn’t have channel listings as of yet (not sure if something like that is coming) so adding favorites is a pain. Maybe I’m just lazy…actually I know I’m lazy lol.
Considering I think that’s pretty damn good. I know it didn’t have the media buttons going in, so my only real complaints are transitioning and channel listings. Considering the team is not Savant a huge luxury home automation company, or Logitech who makes peripherals for everything under the sun NEEO’s teams efforts are impressive.

Small quality of life changes would be nice. Small things though. Defaulting page, adding buttons for specific actions on one scree from any device in the recipe, maybe allowing for changing of icons and their size. More instructions and tips.
The biggest draw I see with sticking with the remote for a while is you have a team that is fully engaged and committed. Logitech has forums, which is nice, but you probably aren’t talking to and of the developers. Getting codes, and fixes when needed. Savant support is like non exist net and you can’t even get into the community forums from what I see because it’s for integrators.
I would say it’s worth a go if you are interested. Just have to go in knowing it’s a brand new product. There is going to be issues here and there. Hopefully a community of users will grow. Many on Planet NEEO are very helpful.

Well stated. I totally agree with you on their customer support. Planet Neeo is awesome. They have helped me in fixing two of their drivers in under 24 hours. Now everything is working pretty seamlessly. I also agree transitions should be implemented. I know they are also working on an IR learning capability that will be added with an update. I would also like to be able to alter or even delete some of the display menus that pop up automatically on some recipes. Like you said, changing icon size and icon names would be great. Screen dimmer. Most of these improvements have already been suggested in Planet Neeo's "Vote" blog. As the vast majority are simple software changes, I am confident they will be addressed in the future.

I think if your looking at your buying your first universal remote. This may be the one to go with. Or at least what I would suggest.

Pioneer SC-LX801: Atmos 5.2.4
Def. Tech. 8060 Fronts & Center - 8040 Surrounds
Def. Tech. XTR-20BP (4) Atmos Ceiling Mounted
Sony 55" XBR850B l Neeo Universal Remote
Oppo 203 l PS4 l Xbox One l Apple TV4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page