Any reason I can't hide IR receiver in my in wall speakers? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-03-2017, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Any reason I can't hide IR receiver in my in wall speakers?

Completing a home theater build and using BAFX triple zone ir extender to hide all my components in the media closet.
I needed to buy an extension cable to extend one of the IR receivers in the theater area of the basement.
BAFX sells a cool little peephole style receiver that can be screwed in the wall, but it's still visible.
My home theater has all in wall speakers and I wondered if there would be any reason why I couldn't hide the regular receiver inside the speaker housing, hidden behind the grill of the speaker?
This would give me a truly invisible result, and no need for the peephole style receiver.
I can't imagine it would cause any sound issues, if I got the peephole style receiver it would be placed an inch below the speaker I'm thinking of hiding the receiver in so I'd be pointing my remote in exactly the same place.
Appreciate any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-03-2017, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Only way to know is to try. It should work, keeping in mind line of sight and that the speaker grill will be blocking a good chunk of the IR receiver, so range and/or remote pointing might not be as forgiving.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-01-2017, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Twenty years ago, I chose to install a Xantech Dinky-Link surface-mount capsule IR receiver instead of their Micro-Link peephole style. Why? I had brand-new pricey B&W CWM-8's and didn't want to drill 1/2" holes into the front speaker baffle! Never mind ensuring it was somewhere a 2" barrel wouldn't interfere with the innards. So I drilled a 1/16" hole and snaked the little cable thru, then put a dab of caulk to seal the hole and another dab to anchor the receiver. (Fortunately, there was enough room between the baffle and the grille that it didn't touch, and buzz.) As to reception, my thought was that the surface-mounted board inside the capsule was closer to its front than the receiver inside the peephole barrel behind a lens, thus would have a broader angle of sight. Mine worked just fine, though the B&W grille had larger metal holes, not cloth. (On the other hand, maybe the lens is used to advantage? From today's Xantech literature, you can't really tell which will be better: the Dinky-Link says "+/- 60 degrees" whereas the Micro-Link says "55 degrees off axis for 50% range reduction". Go figure, if you can...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page