Anything else besides Harmony - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-07-2017, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anything else besides Harmony

HI Folks,

I'm on my THIRD Logitec Harmony 650. Mine seem to last about a year before they fail. We use it 3 hrs of use a day. It's controls cable, TV, receiver, Apple TV and a DVD.

If I can get 5+ years from my crappy Verizon remotes, I would think that a company that specializes in remotes might make a better product, that does not seem to be the case with this one.

I'm looking for alternatives to this one? Are there other brands or specific models I should consider? Any luck with the apps for headphones that you like? Any and all suggestion and recommendations would be great!

Thanks in advance.

Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-10-2017, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Still Ned help on this!

Just need some quick suggestion on a smart remote that lasts longer than ONE YEAR! Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthec View Post
HI Folks,

I'm on my THIRD Logitec Harmony 650. Mine seem to last about a year before they fail. We use it 3 hrs of use a day. It's controls cable, TV, receiver, Apple TV and a DVD.

If I can get 5+ years from my crappy Verizon remotes, I would think that a company that specializes in remotes might make a better product, that does not seem to be the case with this one.

I'm looking for alternatives to this one? Are there other brands or specific models I should consider? Any luck with the apps for headphones that you like? Any and all suggestion and recommendations would be great!

Thanks in advance.

Greg
post #3 of 8 Old 09-10-2017, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1416 Post(s)
Liked: 644
I was going through a Harmony 880 and then 890 in about a year, but they would RMA exchange them. I moved to a URC MX-980 which took a lot of about and lasted about 7 years. I replaced it with a cheap lightly used one with no charger from eBay. A quick program transfer and I'm up and running for another 5+ years.

post #4 of 8 Old 09-10-2017, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked: 1656
The Harmony Companion is your best option. I have one in my bedroom and I use it for about 4 hours a day and not a single issue for the last 1.5 years. I also have two Harmony Elite and they work very well too but my everyday remote is the Companion.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
Media Room: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE (x2) | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 | Oppo 105D | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony HW40ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac|
Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz NR1606 | Emotiva XPA-200 Gen 2 | Samsung UN50JU6500 |
post #5 of 8 Old 09-11-2017, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 992
A low cost alternative to URC, membrane button sheet type JP1 remotes last a very long time, just like your verizon remote and are programmed like Harmony, and in fact can do far more than a comparable Harmony like the 650. I have many JP1 remotes nearly 20 years old that are still going strong. For best results, clean the button sheet with alcohol about every 5 years. The Inteset or Atlas on this page would be good choices for you. They run $3-$25 and can do far more than a 650. Your Verizon remote may even be a JP1 remote. I'd need a little more info to make a determination.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/inde...le=RemoteChart
post #6 of 8 Old 09-28-2017, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the delay. Thanks all so much for your help. I'll post back and let the forum know what I end up doing. Thanks again.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-28-2017, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
A low cost alternative to URC, membrane button sheet type JP1 remotes last a very long time, just like your verizon remote and are programmed like Harmony, and in fact can do far more than a comparable Harmony like the 650. I have many JP1 remotes nearly 20 years old that are still going strong. For best results, clean the button sheet with alcohol about every 5 years. The Inteset or Atlas on this page would be good choices for you. They run $3-$25 and can do far more than a 650. Your Verizon remote may even be a JP1 remote. I'd need a little more info to make a determination.
Mdavej
Considering the JP1 option. My question is where the heck to you buy 'em? I was on the AllInOne website and used their wizard to figure which remote and it suggested AllInOne URC7955 but I can't find it anywhere. So, are the ones on Amazon the only choices? Do you know a place that might have them? Thanks for your help!
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
A low cost alternative to URC, membrane button sheet type JP1 remotes last a very long time, just like your verizon remote and are programmed like Harmony, and in fact can do far more than a comparable Harmony like the 650. I have many JP1 remotes nearly 20 years old that are still going strong. For best results, clean the button sheet with alcohol about every 5 years. The Inteset or Atlas on this page would be good choices for you. They run $3-$25 and can do far more than a 650. Your Verizon remotely may even be a JP1 remote. I'd need a little more info to make a determination.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-30-2017, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 992
That model looks very interesting. Unfortunately, it's not a JP1 remote, as far as I know, so I can't advise you on where to find it. I can confirm that unfortunately only a few One-for-all models are available in stores or online in the US. They seem to be more ubiquitous in Europe these days. OFA does make Best Buy's house brand Insignia universal, and it is JP1 programmable. Many cable TV remotes are also JP1, of which there are tens of millions.

Realize that with our software, many OFA JP1 models can do far more than their published specs say. For example, the 4 device / 4 activity OARUSB04G becomes 12 device / 12 activity plus 5 functions per button, gets nested macros and subroutines and gains many more features. All for $10 on ebay or $20 on Amazon or Best Buy, Walmart, etc. It's a similar story for cable TV JP1 remotes. With our software, they go from limited, 4 devices remotes to unlimited devices and gain many advanced capabilities.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
remote recommendation , smart remote

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page