Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-17-2017, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Single remote ideas please

All my life I've used IR remotes: Pronto, then Harmony line, more recently JP1 (Inteset). They worked OK with the occasional quirks of devices getting out of sync.

Until now that is ... The new setup has:
- Denon AVR - IR remote
- LG TV with Magic Remote - some sort of RF (is it Bluetooth? WiFi? Something proprietary?)
- Amazon Fire TV - Bluetooth remote

So back to 3 remotes :-( How does one solve the single remote problem these days with my setup above? Or is the idea to use HDMI-CEC which should be good enough and only reach for specific remotes only when really needed?

Physical solutions? What about smart phone/tablet apps (Android only, I'm allergic to iOS) that could control the devices above over the network?

Help me get caught up to the modern days, please Good riddance to IR!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-17-2017, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1416 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Does the TV have an IR receiver? Most things with RF type inputs also have IR. For the Fire TV you'll need to get a FLIRC.

post #3 of 9 Old 09-17-2017, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Not sure whether the TV has an IR receiver.

Any solutions that do not use IR? It would be nice to have something more reliable given that they are all networked. Like a universal remote app that can control all of them over the network. It feels like going from Bluetooth to IR for the Fire TV for example is moving backwards, but perhaps there's no better way.

Last edited by SirDracula; 09-17-2017 at 08:12 PM.

post #4 of 9 Old 09-18-2017, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Update: Looks like the TV has an IR receiver, at least according to a search on the Logitech site, it claims all Harmony remotes (not just the hub) can control the TV. Of course, the magic mouse won't work.
https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/compatibility
post #5 of 9 Old 09-20-2017, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
IR is still the most universally accesible standard. Close second nowadays would be IP. Depending on your models, you might have some IP-based control systems available. Wouldn't be cheap nor easy though.

Easiest DIY solution would probably revolve around an IR remote and an FLIRC for the Fire TV.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-07-2017, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

This is tough. Going with IR means that I will be losing voice and on-screen pointer/mouse for the TV and voice for the FireTV.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-07-2017, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2272 Post(s)
Liked: 992
No universal is going to do all that proprietary stuff, especially voice, anytime in the foreseeable future. Closest you're going to get is some hybrid solution with Alexa or something like that. Use your universal for macros (turning everything on and off) and general usage (vol/chan/guide/playback) and keep your OEM remotes handy for voice/mouse or don't use voice/mouse. I find voice to be slow and inaccurate, and I can do everything I need without a mouse. Those are all just gimmicks in my book. All my OEM remotes go straight into a drawer as they have for the past 20 years.

Last edited by mdavej; 10-07-2017 at 07:30 AM.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-07-2017, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I was hoping for a good app that can do it over IP. In theory it should be possible, each brand does have its own app, but each is crappy and you end up with multiple apps, I suppose better than 3 physical remotes, but still.

I had high hopes for HDMI-CEC but it's still not there yet, pass through commands don't seem to work when I have the sources connected via my AVR rather than TV directly. It works to power on/off everything (so it's a decent replacement for macros), perhaps somewhat more reliable than IR where things could get out of sync occasionally.

I am a fan of the Inteset JP1 remote but it's kinda nice to be able to label things on a screen and not have to have a mental mapping of physical button labels to device labels or use shift commands. I also have one of those AR w/ color screen remotes but that thing is kinda big and heavy, a man's remote.

Any experiences with something like the Anymote Home hub? Or a small tablet/big phone (6" screen) with IR built-in and something like the Anymote app? Just trying to see what the options are, pros/cons, what others ended up doing, etc.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-07-2017, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2272 Post(s)
Liked: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDracula View Post
I am a fan of the Inteset JP1 remote but it's kinda nice to be able to label things on a screen and not have to have a mental mapping of physical button labels to device labels or use shift commands. I also have one of those AR w/ color screen remotes but that thing is kinda big and heavy, a man's remote.
The AR 18G / Nevo C3 is the thin, light version of your AR remote. It's more expensive but adds RF which is the next best thing to IP. The main reason I recommend the bulky version of that remote is because it's a $150 remote for $15. The thin RF version is a $250 remote for $150, not much of a savings compared to the bulky one.

Main problem with voice is much of the hardware and smarts for it is in the remote, not the device. So somehow doing voice on a universal that then relays commands over IP would not only require a mic in the remote but also processing the commands and relaying the right thing, which everybody does differently (Fire TV, Roku, Nvidia, X1 cable boxes and other devices with voice control). The exception is Xbox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page