Harmony 890 vs Elite - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-18-2017, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Harmony 890 vs Elite

I currently have a 890 and the screen has failed on it. I like the remote and was going to get another used one, however there is one issue I have had with it. The signal from the remote to the IR extender seems weak. I sometimes have to press the button a few time before it works. Even when in the same room as the extender(which is in a closed cabinet). It seems to have been getting worst with age. I know another used one could be the same. My question is does the elite have the same technology to communicate from the remote to the hub? There is quite a bit of price difference between both. I don't mind paying extra if it works better. But if it will work the same I'd rater get a used 890 for way cheaper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-19-2017, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 992
The elite does everything the 890 did plus wifi, IP, Bluetooth, home automation, touchscreen gestures and much longer sequences. The RF part works essentially the same. Whether any of that other stuff is of value to you is your call. The num pad moved to the screen, which some find disconcerting. I also find the lack of dedicated skip/search buttons inconvenient.

I personally would not sink significant money into such an old, used remote. But many are inexplicably loyal to the old models.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-19-2017, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
The elite does everything the 890 did plus wifi, IP, Bluetooth, home automation, touchscreen gestures and much longer sequences. The RF part works essentially the same. Whether any of that other stuff is of value to you is your call. The num pad moved to the screen, which some find disconcerting. I also find the lack of dedicated skip/search buttons inconvenient.

I personally would not sink significant money into such an old, used remote. But many are inexplicably loyal to the old models.
What does the WIFI,IP and Bluetooth all do? I assume the Bluetooth is for controlling devices such PS4 or Firetv which I could see using. What is WIFI and IP used for? What do you mean by the skip/search button? Isn't the button beside the play/pause button for skipping forward?

post #4 of 9 Old 09-19-2017, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeon View Post
What does the WIFI,IP and Bluetooth all do? I assume the Bluetooth is for controlling devices such PS4 or Firetv which I could see using. What is WIFI and IP used for? What do you mean by the skip/search button? Isn't the button beside the play/pause button for skipping forward?
The wifi allows the remote to communicate with other wifi hubs like Insteon’s hub so that you can control your lights from the remote.

Another real nice feature the Elite has (due to it’s wifi) is that you can make changes in the software on your laptop or phone and sync your changes over wifi or USB https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/...ges-to-harmony. Like you I came from the 890 and I hated having to hook up a USB every time I made a change . There are also several other things you can change in the software that can also be changed on the remote and synced via wifi to the hub.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #5 of 9 Old 09-19-2017, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Do you know if all Insteon hubs are compatible? Specifically I have an ISY99-IR. I currently control it with my 890 via IR and works pretty good but would probably be better true wifi. If the ISY is compatible and the bluetooth can control PS4 and FireTV. This might just be enough to convince me to upgrade. Also the added bonus of being able to control my Honeywell wifi thermostat according to the Logitech site.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-19-2017, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do you know if all Insteon hubs are compatible? Specifically I have an ISY99-IR. I currently control it with my 890 via IR and works pretty good but would probably be better true wifi. If the ISY is compatible and the bluetooth can control PS4 and FireTV. This might just be enough to convince me to upgrade. Also the added bonus of being able to control my Honeywell wifi thermostat according to the Logitech site.
You’d have to use one of these to control the PS4, since Sony will not release the PS4 codes to anyone, not even Logitech https://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-R...sp+ps4+harmony . It was supposed be released in March and then that got pushed back to July and now pushed back to November.

As for the Honeywell thermostats I have them too and will try to add them to my Elite when I get home and let you know how well it works. Honeywell’s app is pretty good so I can’t image I’d ever use the Elite for them but I’ll try it just so you have some info on the integration with the Elite.

Also the ISY99/IR is in the Harmony database and it says “All Harmony products can control this device”. FireTV can be controlled as well. Here's a link to the device compatibility database https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/compatibility

post #7 of 9 Old 09-19-2017, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I checked the compatibility database and checked the regular ISY99 without IR receiver and there is a note saying IR adapter is required so I assume it's compatible true IR only(assume ISY99/IR will be the same). You can try the thermostat if you like but will not be the deciding factor. The elite does appear to be better just can't seem to justify $500 Canadian for a remote. Considering that my home automation system controls most of the actions. I just still like having a physical remote for the none automated things.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-20-2017, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I checked the compatibility database and checked the regular ISY99 without IR receiver and there is a note saying IR adapter is required so I assume it's compatible true IR only(assume ISY99/IR will be the same). You can try the thermostat if you like but will not be the deciding factor. The elite does appear to be better just can't seem to justify $500 Canadian for a remote. Considering that my home automation system controls most of the actions. I just still like having a physical remote for the none automated things.
I added my Honeywell thermostats and they were added to the phone app and remote. The Harmony integration with the thermostats isn’t nearly as good as the real Honeywell phone app so I’d never use the Harmony remote to control thermostats. When I bought my Elite a year or so ago there was a Harmony & Best Buy stores recycle program and I turned in my 890 and got $100 off the price of the Elite.

Looks like the promotion is running again until November. If you’re planning on getting the Elite check if the promotion is still good in Canada and make sure to show them the ad. Also make sure they take the $100 off the sale price if it’s on sale and not the regular price. When I went to BB no one had heard of the program so I had to show them the link and get a manager involved.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/clp/har...at748302046160

post #9 of 9 Old 09-20-2017, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I wasn't able to find any info on the Canadian website. Considering the screens don't work they might not take it even if it's available in Canada. Best Buy Canada has it for $499.00 so if I would be able to get the $100.00 it's still $399.00. I found an Ebay seller in Canada that has it for $350.00 shipping included for a new one. So probably not worth the effort of going to Best Buy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page