Looking for a way to use an RF remote with my Xbox One - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By bryansj

post #1 of 7 Old 09-18-2017, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looking for a way to use an RF remote with my Xbox One

I'm sure its been asked before but I was unsuccessful finding what I was looking for in my searches. I am wanting to get a new universal RF remote to control, among other things, my Xbox One. The XB1 doesn't have an RF receiver, only IR. Due to the layout of the room the XB1 is in, IR remotes are not feasible, so we've always used the controller to control anything on the XB1. Is there a way to add something to the XB1 to allow it to recieve an RF signal from a universal remote?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-18-2017, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG SITT View Post
I'm sure its been asked before but I was unsuccessful finding what I was looking for in my searches. I am wanting to get a new universal RF remote to control, among other things, my Xbox One. The XB1 doesn't have an RF receiver, only IR. Due to the layout of the room the XB1 is in, IR remotes are not feasible, so we've always used the controller to control anything on the XB1. Is there a way to add something to the XB1 to allow it to recieve an RF signal from a universal remote?

Thanks!
RF universal remotes don't use RF to control devices. They use RF to communicate only with their RF to IR base emitter. So your Xbox One already has what it needs to work with a RF universal remote.

post #3 of 7 Old 09-18-2017, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
RF universal remotes don't use RF to control devices. They use RF to communicate only with their RF to IR base emitter. So your Xbox One already has what it needs to work with a RF universal remote.
Yeah it can technically work, but I am looking for a way to use the remote that doesn't require me to have a direct line of sight to the XB1.

post #4 of 7 Old 09-18-2017, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Yeah it can technically work, but I am looking for a way to use the remote that doesn't require me to have a direct line of sight to the XB1.
You are asking to use a universal RF remote. That's how they work.

You just need to put the RF to IR base in line of sight of the Xbox or run an IR emitter to it from the base. The remote doesn't need line of sight to anything.
cmdrdredd likes this.

post #5 of 7 Old 09-18-2017, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 992
You can also control your Xbox with a smartphone app over wifi.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-20-2017, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
You are asking to use a universal RF remote. That's how they work.

You just need to put the RF to IR base in line of sight of the Xbox or run an IR emitter to it from the base. The remote doesn't need line of sight to anything.
Ahh I didn't realize most of these remotes had a hub like this. I'm doing some research into the Harmony Smart Control w/ the Ultimate Hub and it seems like it'd do the trick. Once concern though...

I've got my Xbox in a cabinet. My TV and sound bar (don't judge) are obviously a little ways away. With this remote and their hub work in my situation? I'd imagine I'd place the hub in the cabinet with the Xbox, and then just point the remote at the TV?
post #7 of 7 Old 09-20-2017, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 992
Quote:
Ahh I didn't realize most of these remotes had a hub like this. I'm doing some research into the Harmony Smart Control w/ the Ultimate Hub and it seems like it'd do the trick. Once concern though...

I've got my Xbox in a cabinet. My TV and sound bar (don't judge) are obviously a little ways away. With this remote and their hub work in my situation? I'd imagine I'd place the hub in the cabinet with the Xbox, and then just point the remote at the TV?
Smart Control cannot control your TV if you point at it. Other Harmony hub based remotes can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page