Deciding between Harmony 665 and Smart / Home Control / Companion for my setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-19-2017, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Deciding between Harmony 665 and Smart / Home Control / Companion for my setup

Hi, looking for some advice. In my new setup, I've had a new entertainment system built that will house all of my electronics in a cabinet (AVR, cable box, Roku, Blu-Ray, etc.). Only the TV will be outside of the cabinet. I see two possible solutions to this:

1. Get an IR remote like the Harmony 665 and also get an IR repeater to pass the IR signal into the cabinet. I'd place individual IR blasters on each component's IR sensor.
2. Get a RF remote like the Harmony Smart Control / Home Control / Companion that comes with its own IR hub that goes inside the cabinet to blast IR signals to all of the components inside the cabinet, even if not line of sight. It also comes with an IR blaster that would come outside of the cabinet to control the TV.

My questions are:

1. Do these two options sound like the best options for my setup?
2. If so, which if these two options would you recommend?
3. Am I right that the hub that comes with the higher end Harmony remotes is strong enough to blast IR throughout the cabinet (on multiple sliding shelves) without it being direct line of sight?
4. Is the IR blaster that comes with the higher end Harmony remotes strong enough to be placed beside / behind the TV rather than in front of the TV in order to be direct line of sight? I wouldn't want to put the IR blaster in front of the TV or attached to the front of the TV.

Thanks for any advice!
Drew

Toshiba 46XV645U
Yamaha TSR-7810 AVR (Replaced Onkyo TX-SR507)
Energy C-100 Fronts
Energy C-C100 Center (Replaced Energy C-C50)
Polk RC60i Surrounds (Replaced Energy C-50)
Energy S10.3 Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-19-2017, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

While looking at the options at Best Buy (mainly for feel in the hand) the clerk said that the Harmony remotes with hubs can control the TV with IP Control, removing the need for the IR blaster outside of the cabinet. Thoughts on this as a solution? I liked the feel of the Harmony Companion the best.

Toshiba 46XV645U
Energy C-100 Fronts
Energy S10.3 Sub
post #3 of 3 Old 09-21-2017, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Now leaning toward getting a Harmony 950 and a Harmony Hub. It'll act just like a Harmony Elite but will be about $10 cheaper and won't have home automation buttons on the remote (which I don't need). It should control the components inside the cabinet with RF->IR signals and control the TV directly from the remote with IR. Anybody see any holes in this plan or have a better suggestion?

Toshiba 46XV645U
Energy C-100 Fronts
Energy S10.3 Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page