Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-20-2017, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Harmony 880 IR failure

I've got two 880s. The newer one just stopped sending IR. Everything is working on screen/buttons, but zero IR output. I confirmed this with my cell camera, no light at all, the other remotes show commands clearly. IR and 880 are too short for search

So... should I try replacing the LEDs?

Or, what should I replace the complete remote with? Ideally, another Harmony that I can just port over my programming. I've got lots of devices on this one:
- sat box
- TV
- PS3 IR control
- AVR
- LD
- 3D controller
- fireplace
- AppleTV
- probably more that I am forgetting

I don't need home control, nor RF.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-20-2017, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
It's pretty rare, but certainly not impossible, for the LEDs to have gone bad. Far more likely that one of the ICs in the remote has gone out, probably an LED driver board or similar.

Best bet if you want to stick with the 880 and not reprogram is to look for used ones on eBay. They're old enough now they can be had cheaply, especially if you're willing to take yours apart and cobble together a working unit from a couple of non-working. Good time to build up some spares. That's what I did before moving on from Harmony. I was able to keep my batch running for years that way.

As far as copying your programming, only going to be possible with a like model. You should be able to plug it and download to another 880, an 890, or an 880/890 pro. Going with any of the newer models, even the now discontinued 900, requires reprogramming.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-20-2017, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks. The Ultimate One was on sale, and I managed to price match for even more savings, so I grabbed one on the way home. When I tried to copy using my old 7.7 software, it wouldn't recognize the One. However... when I installed the NEW software, and tried to login with my OLD info... it recognized me, and asked if I wanted to replace a remote! Hell, yes I do! Brought up my 880 with 15 devices, and it copied everything perfectly!

I will still probably pick up a scrap 880 to rebuild. I have three of them, lol.

post #4 of 5 Old 09-21-2017, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
I will still probably pick up a scrap 880 to rebuild. I have three of them, lol.
Good call if you've got three. They're old remotes at this point. If you haven't had any buttons become unresponsive, you're on borrowed time.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-22-2017, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I had the "Volume Up" failure early on my first one. So early, that when I called to complain, they sent me another complete 880 for free. That's the one that just failed. The original one still works, with volume re-mapped, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page