Why my remote is the best (and you can't get one) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-30-2017, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why my remote is the best (and you can't get one)

Here are qualities my remote has (and are unavailable elsewhere as a total package as far as I know):

1) Buttons and No Screen. Buttons because I don't like trying to use a screen while watching. No screen because I want my batteries to last at least 6 months.

2) Multi-Remote connected to single Hub via RF. RF is simply nice -- so you don't need to point remote. Also you get to hide the hub and all sources in a cabinet. Multi-Remote so that you can have centralized sources and multi-room video. Of course the remotes support IR as well to control the local TV.

3) Communication between the Remote and Hub is via encoded keystrokes -- not arbitrary learned IR codes. This is important for noise immunity. A simple repeater system must accept any incoming signal as 'valid' -- sometimes amplifying noise to the point of unusability. My system sends a limited number of codes -- so the hub never sees noise. Also it sends back an 'acknowledgment' to the Remote. This allows the remote to 'try again' if keypress was not received properly. Very robust.

4) IR learning in both the Remote and the Hub. Learning in the Hub is quite important -- as this is where the complex sources are. Also if you teach the hub something it applies to all remotes. So my Hub didn't know 'natively' about the Tivo 'A' 'B' 'C' 'D' buttons -- but I could teach it once and they work throughout the house.

5) 'Macro' sequences in the remotes. I don't need very complex 'scenarios' or 'recipes' -- just macro (mapping multiple keypresses to a single keypress) is fine. This simple capability is easily done and requires no PC or smart phone.

6) Cost. My initial Hub+Remote cost about $150. Additional remotes are $50.

My remote is a BOCS. This is a company that produced an SD modulator/Distribution system that went out of business years ago. But the hub/remote system is still being sold. However the macro capability was added by a user who is no longer providing this service. Luckily I have a spare 'programmed' remote plus another 'virgin' remote for to use for parts. But I'd love to hear about any more modern alternatives that fit even 5 of the 6 criteria above.

Last edited by andy_hd; 09-30-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-30-2017, 05:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Your remote still doesn't have mouse or keyboard, which is what is missing for me. I have yet to find a remote that has combined airmouse and keyboard with the keys that your BOCA has and is backlit.

Don't care too much about RF. But agree about physical keys. I use eventghost to deal with macro (and more complex scenarios to control multiple AV equipments and HTPC), but due to lack of backlit physical remote with mouse and keyboard, I am forced to use a smartphone.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-30-2017, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11

post #4 of 4 Old 09-30-2017, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2277 Post(s)
Liked: 992
That's a very interesting remote Andy. We JP1 users have been doing essentially the same thing at very little cost for the better part of 20 years. Most JP1 remotes plus a Next Generation RF hub would match most of those requirements for around $50. They don't get feedback from the hub or have learning hubs (not needed since hub comms are one way). But I've never experienced the noise issues you mentioned. In any case, JP1 is a close and inexpensive alternative to your remote system.

I personally welcome the addition of a small screen in addition to a full array of buttons due to the huge number of functions my devices have (my AVR has over 300 functions). Managing all those gets very cumbersome on a screen-less remote. So my favorite JP1 remote these days is the RF Nevo C3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page