Harmony Companion + Hub - Setup Problem - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-04-2017, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Red face Harmony Companion + Hub - Setup Problem

Hey guys- the girlfriend just got me the harmony companion + hub and app, it's really quite a cool gadget as I've never had a universal remote before. Between the AVR remote, TV remote, and 4k player remote, the shuffling just ended up being a pain.

I've gotten just about everything working correctly with it, programmed what we want it to do and overall I have to say I'm impressed and happy with it. That said, I've got 2 problems and for the life of me I can't figure out where I'm going wrong! I know it's gotta be something small/silly and it's driving me crazy, so off the forum for some help lol.

1) I've programmed my little red one touch action button to be the 'home' button on my Samsung KS8000 TV. When I press it, the home screen of the TV loads correctly, but then the directional buttons on the companion remote continue to control my cable box rather than navigating the TV home screen.

2) When watching cable I use the guide button to obviously bring up the cable guide, though when I try to use the channel/page button when the guide is up ... it just changes the channel up one or down one depending on direction.. it doesn't want to actually page up and down the guide like I want.

Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-06-2017, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNewGuy View Post
Hey guys- the girlfriend just got me the harmony companion + hub and app, it's really quite a cool gadget as I've never had a universal remote before. Between the AVR remote, TV remote, and 4k player remote, the shuffling just ended up being a pain.

I've gotten just about everything working correctly with it, programmed what we want it to do and overall I have to say I'm impressed and happy with it. That said, I've got 2 problems and for the life of me I can't figure out where I'm going wrong! I know it's gotta be something small/silly and it's driving me crazy, so off the forum for some help lol.

1) I've programmed my little red one touch action button to be the 'home' button on my Samsung KS8000 TV. When I press it, the home screen of the TV loads correctly, but then the directional buttons on the companion remote continue to control my cable box rather than navigating the TV home screen.

This is under the assumption that your remote operates like my elite.
1. You could program the direction buttons that when you long press you control your tv. Short press controls your cable box.
https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/...on-your-remote
2. I assume you're accessing apps on your tv like netflix you could program the sequence to open those apps in your action buttons. The below link shows you how to do this with the touch buttons but you can program sequences to a physical button.

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/...tton-sequences
2) When watching cable I use the guide button to obviously bring up the cable guide, though when I try to use the channel/page button when the guide is up ... it just changes the channel up one or down one depending on direction.. it doesn't want to actually page up and down the guide like I want.

1. You should be able to change what those buttons do. You could do a long press to page up/down, short press channel up/down. Refer to my first link.

Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated!
Good luck!
post #3 of 6 Old 10-08-2017, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 992
The way you're using your remote is not much different than juggling your old remotes. The only thing you've changed is you press a button rather than pick up a different remote. You need to stop doing that and make some activities. With activities all the above issues go away since those allow you to assign any function from any device to any button or group of buttons. It's really the way Harmony is designed to be used. Device mode should be used very rarely once you have your activities set up properly.

post #4 of 6 Old 10-10-2017, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 51
@sc03979 & @mdavej - Thanks for the replies guys!

When I get home tonight, I'll play around with the one touch action buttons a bit more. To your point @sc03979 , I definitely only programmed the 'short press' version of the action buttons - I didn't set something up for the 'long press'. Really appreciate the links, I'll see what I can wrangle up and if I can get it to work the way that I want. You're spot on btw, I want to be able to load Netflix using the remote!

@mdavej - I think I have set up activities and sequences correctly for the most part? As an example, across the top of the remote- I've got 'play tv' button for example sequenced to turn on my AVR, change the input to 'CBL/SAT', turn the TV and the Cable Box on. I have 2 more of those activities set up- one for music, and the other for when we watch movies. Maybe to your point I should set up the action buttons as activities as well (i.e to turn on Netflix from the TV?).

I'll get back at it tonight and keep you guys posted. Thanks again.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-10-2017, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
This is what I meant by sequences (see the attached file). I've programmed some sequences based on where the tiles are placed on my home page for my Fire TV activity.

I see your remote has voice control. I would imagine that once your tv is on and you say open netflix or something similar into the tv remote it opens netflix. I wonder if you couldn't grab an echo dot and have the ability to ask alexa to open netflix? I can do it on my firetv. Which is funny because I spent a half hour programming my remote to open my 5 most used apps on my firetv. All I have to say is open netflix or something like that while my "Fire TV" activity is on and it fires up netflix for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	2295872  
post #6 of 6 Old 10-10-2017, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 992
Since you already have activities set up, you just need to customize buttons in those activities and assign your arrows to the tv device in its activity or re-run the activity set up to assign them to the right device. My guess about the ch issue is that ch up/down functions themselves don't page up/down, rather page up/down functions do. You should assign those to some other buttons if they won't also do ch up/down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page