Harmony SST-659 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 227 Old 12-15-2003, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Now when everything's off and I hit "Watch TV" nothing happens. I have to go through the Help to turn everything on. Once everything's on and I go to "Watch DVD" it goes to the wrong input and I have to do the Help again.

I triple checked that all of the inputs are identical and set up in the same order. I guess I'll try contacting Harmony.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 227 Old 12-15-2003, 04:35 PM

I adjusted the speed settings on Input Delay and it's working PERFECT!!! Thanks Dolfo!! BTW, I simply doubled it from 1000ms to 2000ms, I'm not THAT impatient!

Bill
post #93 of 227 Old 12-15-2003, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
WOOHOO!! Enjoy, Bill!

-- Adolfo
post #94 of 227 Old 12-15-2003, 08:42 PM

I had the same problem with the remote not going to the correct inputs, but I had all the inputs listed, even the ones I weren't using. Once those were deleting, it cycled to the correct input. The more I use this latest gadget (been about a week) the more I like it! Has anyone used an activity button to switch to their computer? Which activity button did you use?

By the way....has anyone heard how much the TV listings will cost after the initial 2 month trial? I have found them to be quite handy.
post #95 of 227 Old 12-15-2003, 08:53 PM
udp

Just got this remote a few days ago. Took a few hours to get all the customizations right, but I am generally pleased.

The only thing I can't figure out is how to get the tv listings on the remote.
post #96 of 227 Old 12-16-2003, 12:45 AM

Can anyone tell share their experience with a CD jukebox. I am using a Sony CDP CX-455 and am looking for a way to browse through disc titles without actually shuffling the discs. Can the 659 hold a list of discs, allow scrolling through and selecting of that title. I have not bought the remote yet and am hoping that this can solve my string of one night stands with the $200 and under remote crowd. Any feedback with jukebox type CD players (my Sony is the 400 disc) would help.

Thanks, Tom
post #97 of 227 Old 12-16-2003, 04:45 AM

UDP....to add Television Listings, go to the website, under "Activities" and under "Watch Television", click on "Setup TV Content". That is where you choose what TV setup you have (cable, satellite, etc.) and then choose the channels you want to have listed. You also indicate there how many days you want to have downloaded to your remote (I think a max of 14) as well as choose the channel you want the TV to start out on. Of course, after choosing these options you have to perform an update to get the info onto your Harmony. Hope this helps.....I really like the option....but the future price will determine whether I will keep it.
post #98 of 227 Old 12-16-2003, 05:15 AM

thomas762,

Here's the first info I found regarding the Harmony and Jukeboxes:

Browse Media for CD and DVD Jukebox devices
Hey CD and DVD Jukebox Owners,

The Harmony Team is very pleased to announce support for browsing your media collection on your Harmony Remote! We are currently offering this feature FREE to Harmony 745, 748 and 768 customers, so sign in today!

Please give it a try and give us your feedback.

To enable this feature for your device, follow the instructions below. Your jukebox must support selecting discs numerically (e.g. "Select Disc 19" as opposed to discrete buttons for "Disc1", "Disc2", etc) for this feature to operate.

Setup Instructions:
From your Harmony home page, click on ‘MoreOptions’ next to your device.
From the next page select ‘Change the Setup of this device (characterization)’.
Follow the wizard through by answering each of the questions in turn. Note: The current setting is circled in green.
You will then reach a page that will ask you to specify how your device selects discs. Choose the option ‘I use number keys to select a disc’.
When you return to your home page, there will be a link next to your device that says "Setup Media".
You should now be presented with a table that allows you to enter the Artist and Album names (for CD Jukebox) or Movie Titles (for DVD Jukebox) for your collection. Ensure that you enter each disc in the correct row corresponding to its Disc Number (e.g. the number you would enter on your original remote in order to play that disc).
Enter several media titles, then return to your home page and Update your remote. It is a good idea to perform this test before entering your entire collection.
Now, when you select the Listen to CD Jukebox or Play DVD activity, you will be presented with your media list. 659 Users access this list using the "Media" button on the remote. Try selecting a disc from the list and your jukebox will then play that disc.
Note that advanced users with devices capable of exporting CSV files containing the required information can import this information. Set "Advanced" mode before accessing the Setup Media page to enable this feature.
If you need any additional information about this latest new feature then please contact the Harmony Support Team at CustomerService@HarmonyRemote.com

Best Regards,

The Harmony Team
post #99 of 227 Old 12-16-2003, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

thomas762 - I don't think the jukebox is supported by the 659. You may need to upgrade to the 768 if you want this feature.

udp - in addition to what clemsound85 said, once you get the listing copied to the remote, press the "Media" button to bring the listing up on the LCD. I wasn't sure which part of the process you had questions about.

-- Adolfo
post #100 of 227 Old 12-16-2003, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by thomas762
Can anyone tell share their experience with a CD jukebox. I am using a Sony CDP CX-455 and am looking for a way to browse through disc titles without actually shuffling the discs. Can the 659 hold a list of discs, allow scrolling through and selecting of that title. I have not bought the remote yet and am hoping that this can solve my string of one night stands with the $200 and under remote crowd. Any feedback with jukebox type CD players (my Sony is the 400 disc) would help.

Thanks, Tom

According to the Harmony web site:
http://www.harmonyremote.com/product_comparison.htm

'CD listings on the remote' is available for the 659 for an 'additional license fee' (not sure how much), and is included with the 768 and 748. It may take a while to move through the 400 disc list without the scroll wheel of the 768 or 748, although I prefer the 'Dedicated media buttons' of the 659.
post #101 of 227 Old 12-16-2003, 09:29 AM

Anyone want to take a stab as to why the Volume Up on my 659 doesn' t work correctly yet the Volume Down works perfectly?

Speed setting again?

Bill
post #102 of 227 Old 12-16-2003, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
define "correctly". What doesn't it do? Work at all? Go up too fast....too slow?

Mediacom Digital Cable and OTA HD
Panny TC-P55GT50 -- Denon AVR-1713 -- TiVo Premiere XL4 -- Sony BDP-S5100 -- SlingBox 350 -- Polk 5.1 Speakers -- Logitech Harmony One
post #103 of 227 Old 12-16-2003, 09:50 AM

Correctly- one push makes my pre/pro's volume go up sometimes, nothing other times. Push and hold (to go from ZERO-->normal volume level) sometimes goes up at the normal rate, sometimes does nothing.

Thanks,
Bill
post #104 of 227 Old 12-16-2003, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

I would say that Harmony's database may not be 100% correct for your volume control IR codes. You can overwrite the pre-programmed Volume Up/Down IR codes with learned codes from your pre/pro's remote and see if that helps. I know it sounds a little silly to have to do that, but I had to do the same with one of the commands for one of my devices as well. I guess nobody's perfect ;) You can also try playing with the Inter-key Delay in the Speed Settings for that device - I guess I would try this first.

-- Adolfo
post #105 of 227 Old 12-16-2003, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree with Dolfo. I, too, have had to overwrite commands in the Harmony database with learned commands. A bit of a pain, but well worth it in the long run.

Panny TC-P55GT50 -- Denon AVR-1713 -- TiVo Premiere XL4 -- Sony BDP-S5100 -- SlingBox 350 -- Polk 5.1 Speakers -- Logitech Harmony One
post #106 of 227 Old 12-16-2003, 05:41 PM

I'm trying to adjust inputs on my receiver to eliminate unused selections. Editing the inputs goes fine. Then I get to the choice between "I know which button to push" and "I use this IR command" and I select "I know which button to push." The tutor program downloads and a window opens that tells me to connect the USB cable to the Harmony, or push any Harmony button to wake up the device. Problem is the Harmony has been connected throughout the process and pushing buttons doesn't do anything. I've redownloaded the tutor multiple times, quit, restarted, and the same thing happens each time. I'm running Mac OS X 10.2.8 and Safari 1.0.1. Anyone have any suggestions?

Mo
post #107 of 227 Old 12-16-2003, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
mainemojo,

When the window pops up, have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the cable instead a pressing a button on the harmony?

Steve
post #108 of 227 Old 12-16-2003, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The tutor program downloads and a window opens that tells me to connect the USB cable to the Harmony, or push any Harmony button to wake up the device. Problem is the Harmony has been connected throughout the process and pushing buttons doesn't do anything. I've redownloaded the tutor multiple times, quit, restarted, and the same thing happens each time. I'm running Mac OS X 10.2.8 and Safari 1.0.1. Anyone have any suggestions?
I'm running the same Mac configuration (OS 10.2.8 and Safari 1.0.1), and that's exactly what I have to do sometimes....simply unplug the remote and plug it back in, sometimes twice. It will connect eventually. I've never had it where it wouldn't at all.

post #109 of 227 Old 12-17-2003, 05:27 AM

I tried disconnecting and reconnecting several times, before and after restarts. The tutor just wouldn't find the remote. I eventually gave up on trying to adjust the receiver inputs and decided to fiddle instead with creating a second "Watch TV" activity and editing my "Watch VCR" activity. And those functions worked perfectly, from start to finish.

Before I try fiddling with the receiver inputs again, I have a basic question: I understand the reason for deleting unused inputs in the Harmony software for a component, like a TV, that cycles through inputs. But my receiver [Marantz SR5200] doesn't cycle; it has individual buttons for each input, although it does remain set to the last input selected when it is turned off and on. So is it even necessary to delete the ones I don't use from the Harmony configuration?

Mo
post #110 of 227 Old 12-17-2003, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Mo - I wouldn't think this would necessary for the receiver. I had to play with the TV inputs a lot and I never touched the receiver inputs and it works fine.

-- Adolfo
post #111 of 227 Old 12-18-2003, 04:54 AM

Will the Harmony work with Bose equipment? I believe the remotes that come with Bose are "radio frequency". In other words, the equipment can be elsewhere in the house and the remote will still control it. I know the Harmony can't do that, but will it control the Bose equipment if you point it at the equipment? My bro-in-law has his system set-up with Bose (I'm using Denon receiver and Athena speakers) and would like to try the Harmony. Thanks....
post #112 of 227 Old 12-18-2003, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Does the Bose equipment have IR receivers (a little red window) on the front? Do the Bose remotes have IR transmitters as well as RF transmitters? Basically, can the equipment be operated either way with the same remote? If so, the Harmony remote can, at the very least, learn the IR commands from each remote and store them as separate devices which can then be added to any of your Activities. I'm not sure if the Harmony database has any of these devices in their database or not (you can try the free Test Drive on their website to find out).

-- Adolfo
post #113 of 227 Old 12-18-2003, 12:54 PM

Dolfo...thanks for the input, I'll check on those questions you had and let you know if I get any where with it.

I did find out today what the costs would be for the TV listings on the remote. As most people know, you get the TV Listing feature free for 2 months with the 569. After that, it appears the cost will be $20 for one year or $40 for lifetime. To me, that seems very reasonable....in fact, I'll be going with the lifetime feature. If you haven't used that feature, you can download up to 14 days of TV Listings, including one list of just your favorite channels. Oh, I was told you would get an email about a week before the end of your 2 free months to purchase either the one year or lifetime TV Listings. Anyway, hope that info helps.
post #114 of 227 Old 12-18-2003, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

clemsound -
Thanks for the info on the cost of the listings. That's something that I never even considered when I bought the 659, but I've configured my listings and have begun using that, and it's actually pretty handy. The only thing I would like is advance listings. You have to wait until the actual time to see what shows are on. But, then, I'm too lazy now as it is. :rolleyes:

post #115 of 227 Old 12-18-2003, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

I am going to check tonight, but maybe somebody here knows - is the TV listings feature smart enough to display separate sets of listings depending on the current Activity. For example, if I am in an Activity that watches TV using the OTA HD Set-Top Box rather than the DirecTiVo, does it switch to the OTA listing or does it still show the full listing? I don't use this much because I prefer the DirecTiVo listing, but a separate listing for the OTA Activity would be useful since most networks aren't broadcasting reliable listing information on their digital broadcasts yet.

-- Adolfo
post #116 of 227 Old 12-18-2003, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, it does show separate listings. I have it set for my cable TV activity, OTA STB (digital) activity and just OTA (analog) activity.

(now, if it could just make popcorn and pour my soda)

post #117 of 227 Old 12-18-2003, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks, bierboy.

-- Adolfo
post #118 of 227 Old 12-18-2003, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

dolfo -
I may have misspoke. When I got home from work, I checked, and, yes, it shows the programming for my analong OTA channels as well as cable, but only shows the programs for one of my digital channels (I have five). It doesn't show anything for the other four. It does show the channel numbers, but not the programs. Drat.

post #119 of 227 Old 12-18-2003, 04:01 PM

Bierboy....I'll confirm this a little later tonight when I've got the Home Theater "stuff" on, but I believe it does have advanced listings. You have to do the directional button to the right and it will move it to the next half hour....at least I'm pretty sure it does....I'll confirm later.
post #120 of 227 Old 12-18-2003, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

clemsound -
You're right! I just tried it. I didn't know that. You would have thought I'd have tried it :p I was pushing the "next" button figuring that would get me to the next hour or so. Thanks! I love this remote. Now, if it would just show the DT listings. I'm bummed about that. Maybe Harmony is listening, but reliable HD listings are hard to come by.

Closed Thread Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page