Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #181 of 227 Old 01-15-2004, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Does anyone know if the harmony 659 with work with a dish network 811 hd receiver.
Shouldn't be a problem. And as long as you have your original remote, you can always teach the 659 the commands. Try running Harmony's Test Drive on their website. From there you can create a "test" configuration with all of your equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 227 Old 01-15-2004, 11:07 PM

Although we sell & program both the 659 and the 768, IMO the 659 is easier to deal with. However, the 768 is more powerful. Different strokes for different folks. Harmony has experienced tremendous growth over the past several months. So much so, that they had only 5 tech support guys; Now they have 15 techies. They are hiring 5 more this month alone. This is why many of you have experienced uncommon delays from about Xmas thru New Years. Their response time has now gotten, more or less back to normal. The folks at Harmony are among the best when it comes to tech support. They surpass most other companies in this area. They try hard. They have demonstrated uncommon devotion to solving anyone's problems. Just have a little bit of patience. Also, remeber, you are dealing with a remote that is in the $200.00 range. Its not a $1,000.00 Pronto. Personally, I prefer the Harmony. I really don't care about screen background colors, button types, colors, themes, etc. Those things may be includable if you are working on a$100,000.00 and up project. Actually, the contrast & readability on the screen remotes are not acceptible IMO.

A/V is only as good as your weakest link.
post #183 of 227 Old 01-16-2004, 02:01 PM

I have to agree about the backgrounds/colors/other stuff. What I want is for it to take care of all my IO with the touch of a single button, which the harmony does.

Though I am looking to maybe "downscale" my 768 to the 659, as the rest of the family would find that one easier to use........

Marantz SR7400
Cambridge SW Newton T500/MC300/S300
Email
post #184 of 227 Old 01-17-2004, 09:14 PM

Questions:

1. Can the 659 be programmed with discrete ON/OFF commands?

2. Can someone provide a link to where I can find out if my DVD player has discrete commands?

Thanks

The money pit:
$3800 spent sofar :p
post #185 of 227 Old 01-17-2004, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Questions:

1. Can the 659 be programmed with discrete ON/OFF commands?)

If your piece of equipment has discrete codes it can be programmed with discrete codes.

Sorry, don't know the answer for the 2nd question.
post #186 of 227 Old 01-17-2004, 11:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

best place is the Pronto file section at remotecentral
post #187 of 227 Old 01-18-2004, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
With the 659, it doesn't matter if you have discrete commands. Its "smart state" technology "remembers" whether a particular component has been turned on or off when executing an activity macro.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
Contributing reviewer and THX calibrator, ProjectorReviews.com
post #188 of 227 Old 01-18-2004, 11:30 AM

That's true to a point Mike. It has been my experience with the 659 that if you turn a component on from within the "Device" mode, and then go to an activity that is designed to turn that device on, the 659 will in fact issue a power toggle command which will turn the device off. Having discrete on/off commands would avoid this problem.
post #189 of 227 Old 01-19-2004, 11:16 AM

If the Harmony is programmed correctly, there is no need to do any turning equipment on or off in the Device mode.
That defeats the intended design of the Harmony.

But, if you want discrete codes, that all depends on the manufacture of the product your trying to control. The Harmony will handle it if it's available.
post #190 of 227 Old 01-19-2004, 12:42 PM

Quote:
If the Harmony is programmed correctly, there is no need to do any turning equipment on or off in the Device mode. That defeats the intended design of the Harmony.
That is not always true. I had a need to keep my Panasonic DVD Recorder on when switching to another activity, since I usually burn DVD's while also using another activity. The only way I could work around this was to tell the Harmony not to power on/off the DVD recorder, and then I turn it on/off manually. I mapped one of the LCD buttons for the DVD recorder activity to power toggle so that I could avoid the "device" menus, though.
post #191 of 227 Old 01-20-2004, 08:55 PM

I've got one of these on order, so I've been messing around on the Harmony website getting my components set up. One of the problems I'm facing is in setting up my turntable. No, it doesn't have a remote, but I do want the remote to be able to select the "phono" input on my receiver and set up the audio settings properly. All of the "add an activity" selections on the website positively refuse to allow me to do that. I want to be able to select "play vinyl" and have it set up the receiver correctly for me, but it doesn't seem to be able to do that unless it can also set up the associated device (which in this case is the turntable and can't be controlled).

Any suggestions?

-Steve
post #192 of 227 Old 01-20-2004, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve O
I've got one of these on order, so I've been messing around on the Harmony website getting my components set up. One of the problems I'm facing is in setting up my turntable. No, it doesn't have a remote, but I do want the remote to be able to select the "phono" input on my receiver and set up the audio settings properly. All of the "add an activity" selections on the website positively refuse to allow me to do that. I want to be able to select "play vinyl" and have it set up the receiver correctly for me, but it doesn't seem to be able to do that unless it can also set up the associated device (which in this case is the turntable and can't be controlled).

Any suggestions?

-Steve
Set up a dummy device such as a CD player you don't have. Rename it anything you want, set up the reciever IO the way you want. It will send out signals to nothing.

Marantz SR7400
Cambridge SW Newton T500/MC300/S300
Email
post #193 of 227 Old 01-21-2004, 01:21 PM

I actually figured out a slightly more elegant solution last night. I set up a "listen to radio" action and told it to just switch to "phono" rather than "tuner". That should do the trick (I hope).

-Steve

[Edit: I got a response from Harmony tech support with the following instructions in case anyone is interested]

You can setup an 'Generic Activity' to do what you want with the turntable. follow the steps below to do this;

1) Click 'Add an Activity' from the harmony home page
2) Click 'add one activity'
3) Click 'Utility'
4) Click 'Generic Activity'
5) Choose to run the activity in 'custom' mode
6) On the next page select the device that you need in the activity. The function of the device dose not matter
7) follow the rest of the wizard
8) Update your remote for the changes to take effect
post #194 of 227 Old 01-22-2004, 03:47 AM

people say the harmony has no macros. I have a question. I remember someone stating in this thread, or some other thread about the harmony, that they programmed their remote to Mute the TV when they hit pause (in addition to pausing the DVD obviously) Isn't that a (somewhat simple) macros?

The money pit:
post #195 of 227 Old 01-22-2004, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

It is my understanding that this Harmony remote is based on macros, but I guess that depends on what you define as a macro. I don't think your example qualifies as a macro - it is just a simple ability to reprogram button functions. I always understood that a macro was a way to program the remote to send out a SERIES of commands with one push of a button. With this remote, I push the "Watch TV" button and the remote turns the TV on (unless it is already on), turns the Receiver on (unless it is already on), switches the TV to the correct input, and switches the Receiver to the correct input.

-- Adolfo
post #196 of 227 Old 01-22-2004, 08:29 AM

I tried to make the play, record etc control the vcr while I watch TV (I use the VCR as a passthough). It worked fine but now when I watch DVD the play etc button control the DVD player and the vcr at the same time. I went back to the site and deleted the vcr buttons from wach dvd, this also deleted them from watch tv. I readded them to watch tv and it added them back to watch dvd. Why is it doing this?
post #197 of 227 Old 01-22-2004, 08:34 AM

The Activities are basically macros. For any activity you can add as many commands as you need (using the advanced setup). The remote does not have a way to send a series of commands (macro) while remaining within an activity. You can assign a button to issue a command to more than one device, but it is only one command per device per button. You need to create a new activity for anything that requires sending multiple commands to devices. Hope this helps.
post #198 of 227 Old 01-22-2004, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I remember someone stating in this thread, or some other thread about the harmony, that they programmed their remote to Mute the TV when they hit pause (in addition to pausing the DVD obviously)
That was me. What I did was assign two different commands to two different devices using one button. So when I hit the mute button on the 659, it mutes the receiver and also pauses the DVD or the VCR. Handy in two respects - the mute button is more conveniently located than the pause button and especially for the VCR it's nice because my VCR only remains in pause for like 10 minutes then it goes to stop. If it wasn't also muted, I would hear the sound from whatever channel my VCR is on.

Mediacom Digital Cable and OTA HD
Panny TC-P55GT50 -- Denon AVR-1713 -- TiVo Premiere XL4 -- Sony BDP-S5100 -- SlingBox 350 -- Polk 5.1 Speakers -- Logitech Harmony One
post #199 of 227 Old 01-22-2004, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't know if macros were added since I don't have a 659. But sometimes you can learn several buttons as one. I know people have used it on other remotes that don't accept macros.
post #200 of 227 Old 01-22-2004, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

My 659 defaults to pause on mute for ANY activity (CD, DVD, Tivo, etc.). I've never "enabled" that via any special programming or options. In fact, I'm pretty sure the FAQ at Harmony covers the pause on mute being a standard feature of how they set things up.

Sorny
post #201 of 227 Old 01-22-2004, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

yes, but from what I understand, when he clicks mute it pauses and mutes
post #202 of 227 Old 01-22-2004, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vbjeff
The Activities are basically macros. For any activity you can add as many commands as you need (using the advanced setup). The remote does not have a way to send a series of commands (macro) while remaining within an activity. You can assign a button to issue a command to more than one device, but it is only one command per device per button. You need to create a new activity for anything that requires sending multiple commands to devices. Hope this helps.
That explains a lot, thanks.

The money pit:
post #203 of 227 Old 01-22-2004, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AnthonyP
yes, but from what I understand, when he clicks mute it pauses and mutes
Like I said, that is the default behavior of my Harmony SST-659 for any activity where there is a device that can pause.

**edit**
Hmm, the pause on mute no longer works on my Tivo activity. I will have to investigate this further...

Sorny
post #204 of 227 Old 01-28-2004, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

is there any way to get the 659 to work with a dual zone receiver running two different sources at the same time (watching a DVD in one room and listening to music in another)?
post #205 of 227 Old 01-28-2004, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Hmm, the pause on mute no longer works on my Tivo activity. I will have to investigate this further...
That's EXACTLY what happened with me (on my VCR and DVD activities, however). When I originally got the 659, that feature was enabled. Then, for some reason, after I began my extensive "tinkering", it was lost. It was easy to reprogram it, though.

Mediacom Digital Cable and OTA HD
Panny TC-P55GT50 -- Denon AVR-1713 -- TiVo Premiere XL4 -- Sony BDP-S5100 -- SlingBox 350 -- Polk 5.1 Speakers -- Logitech Harmony One
post #206 of 227 Old 01-31-2004, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bierboy
That's EXACTLY what happened with me (on my VCR and DVD activities, however). When I originally got the 659, that feature was enabled. Then, for some reason, after I began my extensive "tinkering", it was lost. It was easy to reprogram it, though.
I had to go back in and re-assign the mute button to also send pause. Once I did, it seemed to have taken on all the activities again. Strange...

Sorny
post #207 of 227 Old 02-01-2004, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
the Samsung HD receiver TS160 satisfactorily?

Thanks

Baby, remember...It's my life and I'll do what I want!
post #208 of 227 Old 02-01-2004, 11:27 AM

I'm currently using the SST-659 and a Samsung TS160. No problems.
post #209 of 227 Old 02-01-2004, 10:33 PM

Just wanted to send a big endorsement for Harmony Support.

I had a strange issue where a couple of commands were double-firing to my E* PVR.

Sent an e-mail to Harmony Support and got great responses. The tech went in and made some behind the scene changes. All I had to do was download and update and test.

Well done!
post #210 of 227 Old 02-01-2004, 10:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Hey...where's the Tivo button on the 659?

TM

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
Closed Thread Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page