Harmony H688 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 330 Old 04-12-2004, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The backlight's been an occasional problem with the 659. The percentage is low, but a little higher than usual for a remote.

FYI, the 688s are due into customs shortly (possibly today). There should be more info tomorrow.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
Contributing reviewer and THX calibrator, ProjectorReviews.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 330 Old 04-12-2004, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
165.00 shipped. unauthorized dealer. If it breaks, well there are ways around things. 250 is ridiculous. this thing has a tiny circuit board in it, some buttons, and a puny little screen. thats 1/2 the price of some PCs. There should be laws against selectively honoring your warranty.

If a place can make a profit at 165.00 then the authorized dealers are pocketing an additional 100.00? on a product worth probably a hundred bucks? even if you throw in 50 bucks for the programming thats still 100 dollars markup on a 150 dollar item.

Ridiculous
post #93 of 330 Old 04-12-2004, 06:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
250 is ridiculous. this thing has a tiny circuit board in it, some buttons, and a puny little screen.
a constantly upgraded web site that introduces new features and extremely helpful and professional help desk. Or do you not look at some of the most valuable parts of what you are buying?
post #94 of 330 Old 04-12-2004, 08:50 PM

(ignoring the price relative to the product) I think the idea of "authorized dealers" is crap. I think maybe it started out as a legit concept. Perhaps problems arose because people were selling improper items (Example, since I know computers: a place selling HP computers sells you an additional AGP video card but the computer has no AGP slot. Then the person calls up HP all pissed off even tho its not really their fault. So HP starts having "authorized" dealers so they don't have to deal with dumb ass salespeople causing them problems)

But now its abused, and this is an example.

The money pit:
$3800 spent sofar :p
post #95 of 330 Old 04-12-2004, 11:42 PM
Advanced Member

This whole authorized dealer/unauthorized dealer thing needs to be fixed.

As an authorized dealer of harmony and many other companies it really irks me to see products i sell selling for less than my cost on the internet when i get my products directly from the company at the cost they sell it to me with the obligation of selling so many dollars of product for them each year. I'm just a little company trying to make it and the big boys abuse their price breaks or however they do it to sell below cost. Obviously i can't compete against that type of thing. I'm forced to completely focus on custom jobs and can't even think of internet sales unless 10-15 years down the road i've become one of the big boys and get the better pricing. In the meantime i'm locked out of helping other people get good equipment and teaching them about the equipment whom i otherwise would never meet.

On the flip side as a consumer I can't justify spending a lot of money and buying "retail" when i can get a great price on the internet. Especially being a knowledgable consumer i know what to get and i want to get it at the lowest price. I shouldn't lose my warranty because i don't need my hand held my an authorized dealer.

All that said there has to be an answer. Maybe companies can strongly enforce the authorized dealer stuff, but at a much lower price. The internet is about volume after all. A little guy can make it selling a lot of products at 10-20 bucks profit a piece, but it doesn't work at -10 to - 20 a piece obviously. Plus the consumer will gladly pay say 170, (on a 150 cost item, not saying this is the cost of a harmony just throwing out a number) if that's the lowest price and it's authorized, and not worry about the 250 price. However the custom theater guy can sell at retail to the customers he knows he'll have to do a lot of work teaching and then fixing the problems they inevitably create. Seems like a win/win but that's why it won't happen.
post #96 of 330 Old 04-13-2004, 09:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

utstimpy: I definitely agree that it is annoying as a user, I am sure it must also be annoying for some of the dealers (do you think SRC or blue do or some of the other places that are authorized would not want to be competitive?). But I was on the first wave of remotes with Harmony, before it even had any dealers, and they definitely did have the type of problems that you mentioned. If you go to remotecentral and go back a bit of time you will find many posts from Harmony responding publicly (as a warning) that they cannot do anything if the end user is unhappy with the place he purchased it from. I thin like HP in your example they had enough of being asked to deal with problems that were out of their control.
post #97 of 330 Old 04-14-2004, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hey MikeSRC,
Any news on the 688s?
Chris

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for christsake!
post #98 of 330 Old 04-14-2004, 09:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

CSon,

Scroll up. It's still scheduled to ship by Friday.
post #99 of 330 Old 04-14-2004, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bfdtv
CSon,

Scroll up. It's still scheduled to ship by Friday.
Mike's post from Monday said he might have more info on Tuesday, so I was just checking in with him. I was specifically looking to find out his pricing.
Chris

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
post #100 of 330 Old 04-14-2004, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

They were in Customs in L.A. this morning and should be out tomorrow.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
post #101 of 330 Old 04-14-2004, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Just talked to my harmony rep and he says i'll have my units no later than this coming monday, so i would assume they're shipping friday.
post #102 of 330 Old 04-14-2004, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

I just received e-mail notification from Surf A/V that the 688 is scheduled for Friday delivery at a discounted price (can we quote prices here?) with free delivery and no sales tax to CA customers.

post #103 of 330 Old 04-14-2004, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AnthonyP
a constantly upgraded web site that introduces new features and extremely helpful and professional help desk. Or do you not look at some of the most valuable parts of what you are buying?
Its a data base filled with data from guess who? us!
post #104 of 330 Old 04-14-2004, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cinder
This whole authorized dealer/unauthorized dealer thing needs to be fixed.

As an authorized dealer of harmony and many other companies it really irks me to see products i sell selling for less than my cost on the internet when i get my products directly from the company at the cost they sell it to me with the obligation of selling so many dollars of product for them each year. I'm just a little company trying to make it and the big boys abuse their price breaks or however they do it to sell below cost. Obviously i can't compete against that type of thing. I'm forced to completely focus on custom jobs and can't even think of internet sales unless 10-15 years down the road i've become one of the big boys and get the better pricing. In the meantime i'm locked out of helping other people get good equipment and teaching them about the equipment whom i otherwise would never meet.

On the flip side as a consumer I can't justify spending a lot of money and buying "retail" when i can get a great price on the internet. Especially being a knowledgable consumer i know what to get and i want to get it at the lowest price. I shouldn't lose my warranty because i don't need my hand held my an authorized dealer.

All that said there has to be an answer. Maybe companies can strongly enforce the authorized dealer stuff, but at a much lower price. The internet is about volume after all. A little guy can make it selling a lot of products at 10-20 bucks profit a piece, but it doesn't work at -10 to - 20 a piece obviously. Plus the consumer will gladly pay say 170, (on a 150 cost item, not saying this is the cost of a harmony just throwing out a number) if that's the lowest price and it's authorized, and not worry about the 250 price. However the custom theater guy can sell at retail to the customers he knows he'll have to do a lot of work teaching and then fixing the problems they inevitably create. Seems like a win/win but that's why it won't happen.
you could stop dealing with them. If all of you did, theyd be forced to change. But im sure some would break ranks. Whats needed is a law forcing manufacturers to honor their warranties.
post #105 of 330 Old 04-14-2004, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by utstimpy
(ignoring the price relative to the product) I think the idea of "authorized dealers" is crap. I think maybe it started out as a legit concept. Perhaps problems arose because people were selling improper items (Example, since I know computers: a place selling HP computers sells you an additional AGP video card but the computer has no AGP slot. Then the person calls up HP all pissed off even tho its not really their fault. So HP starts having "authorized" dealers so they don't have to deal with dumb ass salespeople causing them problems)

But now its abused, and this is an example.
yes i dont see how "authorized" dealers somehow became unless you buy from me you wont get a warranty at all.
post #106 of 330 Old 04-15-2004, 10:58 AM

Just got mine 30 minutes ago! Looks great- buttons feel good although some may be a bit close. Can feel them each though. Backlight works! Can't wait to get home and give it a try. I ordered it last week from the Harmony site. Sleek silver- slightly larger than a TiVo remote and about the same shape. Feels good in the hand.

Wayne
post #107 of 330 Old 04-15-2004, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Hey Wayne,
Congrats! Can you PM me with your source and price paid?
Chris

post #108 of 330 Old 04-15-2004, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

MikeSRC,

Just curious since you probably have both colors in your hand by now...Which do you think looks better?

I like the look of the Silver from the pictures (and I have one on order from you), but I was wondering if the Silver on Silver makes it harder to distinguish the labels that are on each button...A minor thing, but in looking at the two side/side when you glance at them is it easier to pick out what each button is on the black model because of the contrast of the black case?

-Steve
post #109 of 330 Old 04-15-2004, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Steve,
You've got a PM.
Chris

post #110 of 330 Old 04-15-2004, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

There's really not too much difference between the two in legibility.

Here's an actual photo of a silver 688. I won't hang up this thread by posting it here (178K), but you can view it or download it at the following link:

http://surfremotecontrol.com/H688.JPG

BTW, the center "OK" button is separate from the surrounding ring.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
post #111 of 330 Old 04-15-2004, 01:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Its a data base filled with data from guess who? us!
true, and I have mentioned it in the past countless times. But I was not talking about the IR database. I was talking about the actual web site. The tools (wizards.....) at the site that help you configure your remote. They are constantly upgraded and that work is not done by it's customers.
post #112 of 330 Old 04-15-2004, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Just got mine! :cool:
Silver. Looks and feels good. One thing I was not sure about until now: The OK button is indeed separate from the navigation circle! Great!

Ilya
post #113 of 330 Old 04-15-2004, 01:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
OK button is indeed separate from the navigation circle!
? seperate how?
post #114 of 330 Old 04-15-2004, 02:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Can we see a picture of the black one too? :)
post #115 of 330 Old 04-15-2004, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

On early pictures it looked like a single-piece 5-way button. It is not! You can press OK in the middle without pressing the navigation circle around it (unless your fingers are too big :) )

Ilya
post #116 of 330 Old 04-15-2004, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AnthonyP
? seperate how?
Anthony,

Look at the picture Mike posted...The center "ok" button looks independent from the silver "navigational" ring that surrounds it...that's good.

Mike,

feel free to stick that one back in the box and send it my way :D

btw...could you post a link to picture of a black one for grins...just curious, they look a little different then the renditions (your right I don't think the contrast is different given the opaqueness of the buttons..they don't look as silver as in the renditions)

Thx
Steve
post #117 of 330 Old 04-15-2004, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

The Glow button indeed glowes in the dark. And when you press it... nice bright blue backlit of all buttons and the LCD display...

Buttons are pretty firm and make a distinct click when you press them...

I can feel each single button individually. I think I can get used to their location after some practice. Though I would prefer bigger VOL and CH buttons...

Ilya
post #118 of 330 Old 04-15-2004, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IlyaV
The Glow button indeed glowes in the dark. And when you press it... nice bright blue backlit of all buttons and the LCD display...
Nice touch...

post #119 of 330 Old 04-15-2004, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IlyaV
That's an easy one for most of us: ask your wife!
She will tell you right away! :)

haha, that's what I did. She said "Silver". I ordered Silver.

My Media Room Construction thread. Work began 2/15/05, finished 7.1 install 6/2005. Sold house 7/2007.
post #120 of 330 Old 04-15-2004, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeSRC
http://surfremotecontrol.com/H688.JPG
Is anyone else disappointed with this picture with respect to the buttons? I was expecting more of a sliver sheen to match the casing of the remote itself based on other pictures. Basically the disc surrounding the OK button was the finish I was expecting on all buttons. Also, the color buttons at the top have smaller colored squares then the original pictures. Overall the remote looks "cheap" compred to earlier pictures IMHO. I ordered two so I'm hoping not to be disappointed when I get them.

Gerald
Closed Thread Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page