Harmony H688 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 330 Old 04-21-2004, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My H688 was just delivered. I have a hockey game at 5:30, and will be home around 7pm. I have some off-hours work to do at 8pm. Hopefully I can squeeze some time in there to get it programmed.

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Work began 2/15/05, finished 7.1 install 6/2005. Sold house 7/2007.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 330 Old 04-21-2004, 05:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Man... spent 2 hours on it, but the airboard just won't work. The harmony seems to learn it, but it just doesn't transmit it correctly.

-MP

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #183 of 330 Old 04-21-2004, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

My H688 is setup. I have some tweaking to do, but the setup was easy. My wife has already commented about the closeness of the buttons, but I'm urging her to give it a real try. Hopefully she'll learn the button positions by touch.

What do you guys think so far?

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #184 of 330 Old 04-22-2004, 07:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Well, spent a while today on the phone with Harmony. It seems that someone had the same problem I did, and actually sent Harmony their airboard. Harmony is in the process of recording the keymappings and will add it to their database in the newxt couple of days as a PC device. Here's hoping it works from there! :) All in all, I'm still a little shaky on this remote compared to my MX500. Hopefully adding the airboard and getting a little more familiar with it will improve my experience.

-MP

post #185 of 330 Old 04-22-2004, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone noticed the two "figure grooves" on the back of the remote. I've noticed if I hold it with my index finger in the front-most groove, my thumb rests naturally on the directional pad. Shifting my hand so my index finger is in the rear groove, my thumb rests naturally on the transport controls--right where the play/pause buttons are.

That might make button locating by touch a little easier to get used to. I don't need to know where EVERY button is by touch, but transport controls are important, and so is the directional control.

Craig

post #186 of 330 Old 04-22-2004, 08:01 AM

Buy.com has it onsale again. It's $154 now. Is it the best deal for now? I want to get one now.
post #187 of 330 Old 04-22-2004, 08:17 AM

It's the best deal if you don't care about having a warranty, since Buy.com is not an authorized dealer.
post #188 of 330 Old 04-22-2004, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally posted by bton
Buy.com has it onsale again. It's $154 now. Is it the best deal for now? I want to get one now.
In my opinion, spend the extra $25 at surfremote.com, and get the piece of mind of a warranty. And I believe they have some of the best customer service in the industry...in case you hadn't seen his posts, MikeSRC is a regular contributor on this forum. My .02:)

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for christsake!
post #189 of 330 Old 04-22-2004, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I've had 100% positive experience from Buy.com. If it fails in the first 90 days, they will stand behind it. It will fail in the first 90days, if it fails at all (typical w/ electronics). I had a $10 off coupon, so its $147 to me (3-5 days). That beats the best ebay deal right now.

Only silver listed though (I would have prefered black). The lights are always off in my HT :) Chad
post #190 of 330 Old 04-22-2004, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

... The programming was simple and straightforward. Even the standard configuration (before any customization) worked well enough.

... I had to rename most of the custom button labels (for the LCD display). Standard labels (e.g. for Sony TV, and other devices) didn't fit: some were cut off. Was this a problem in 659 too? Or did they make the fonts bigger in 688, so the labels don't fit now?

... VOOM STB was listed under three different names at least! Non of these three configuration sets exactly match VOOM remote. I had to do some tweaking/renaming, e.g. to enable the "Favorites" button...

... Listen to Radio activity didn't work for my HK receiver. Called technical support and they fixed this in 2 minutes, while I was on the phone. Great service for a late-night call!

... Built-in Program Guide works well and stores up to two weeks of programming! Unfortunately it only shows program names, no additional info, not even the channel name/number, so usability is limited. I think it is not a replacement for the on-screen PG, but rather a good compliment, that may come handy at times...

... I love the back light! The remote looks great in the dark! One inconvenience though: if you press the Glow button, the back light stays on only for a certain number of seconds and then goes off, even if you continue pressing buttons. I think this is not right. The remote should reset the time-out timer with each button press after the Glow. I ended up switching the mode - now the back light turns on with any button press (without the Glow button at all). I like this mode more, though I suspect it will drain the battery quickly...

... Overall I am happy with this remote. Works and feels great! At last I can hide all other remotes and have one remote for everything, that the entire family can use...

Ilya
post #191 of 330 Old 04-22-2004, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
I ended up switching the mode - now the back light turns on with any button press (without the Glow button at all). I like this mode more, though I suspect it will drain the battery quickly...
Ilya,
How did you accomplish this?
Chris

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for christsake!
post #192 of 330 Old 04-22-2004, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

It's in "My Remote Preferences" at the top of the main menu, under "Settings". Set "Automatic Backlight" to "Any Button". You can also choose the backlight timer: 5/10/15/20 seconds.

Ilya
post #193 of 330 Old 04-22-2004, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Ilya,

I hid all our remotes too. I fear if I leave the others sitting around, my wife will want to use the good old TiVo Peanut instead of getting used to the 688.

BTW, a lot of the commands for my Mits 55413 are cut off on the LCD also. I don't plan on using many of them. I cleaned things up a bit, adding "Format" to the Picture function. Also, ThumbsUp and ThumbsDown for my Philips DSR6000 were backwards...they functioned properly, but ThumpsUP should be on the right!

post #194 of 330 Old 04-22-2004, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by IlyaV
... I had to rename most of the custom button labels (for the LCD display). Standard labels (e.g. for Sony TV, and other devices) didn't fit: some were cut off. Was this a problem in 659 too? Or did they make the fonts bigger in 688, so the labels don't fit now?
No, this is an issue with the 659 as well. You just have to change the labels where necessary.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
Contributing reviewer and THX calibrator, ProjectorReviews.com
post #195 of 330 Old 04-22-2004, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pauleyc
I've had 100% positive experience from Buy.com. If it fails in the first 90 days, they will stand behind it. It will fail in the first 90days, if it fails at all (typical w/ electronics). I had a $10 off coupon, so its $147 to me (3-5 days). That beats the best ebay deal right now.

Only silver listed though (I would have prefered black). The lights are always off in my HT :) Chad
Where did you get the $10 coupon. I have bought several thing from buy.com with all good results. I don't care the if it's authorized or not.
post #196 of 330 Old 04-22-2004, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
I hadn't bought in a few months (reg customer) and it was on of those "..please come back..." deals emailed to me. Just got shipping info ... 2 day UPS! Looks like I will get mine Monday. Can't wait.
post #197 of 330 Old 04-23-2004, 07:17 AM

Liked: 11
I can't decide where to put my "replay" button for tivo. I don't like the skip 30 function so I use >> instead to skip through commercials. But I frequently overshoot when I stop. Any suggestions?
post #198 of 330 Old 04-23-2004, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

The replay button, by default for the DSR6000, is the |<< button. Advance is >>|.

They seem to work ok for me, although I may reassign advance to the STOP button.

post #199 of 330 Old 04-23-2004, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bton
Where did you get the $10 coupon. I have bought several thing from buy.com with all good results. I don't care the if it's authorized or not.
They email you the 10 dollar coupons at least they do to me. Mine arrives Monday as well from Buy.com :)
post #200 of 330 Old 04-23-2004, 05:59 PM

They don't send me any coupon. It's nice to have that.
post #201 of 330 Old 04-23-2004, 09:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 714
I was using the 688 alot tonight, and I think I like the 659 better. the buttons are much larger on the 659 and easier to do by feel. The thing that would make it perfect would have been the play, pause, rec, etc buttons above the number keys. The 688 has them above but all the buttons are so small. i have to look at them before i press them. the 659 I don't need to look at them. The Tivo buttons are too close together. they are farther apart and larger on the 659.
The buttons do at least click on the 688 which is nice.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #202 of 330 Old 04-23-2004, 10:15 PM

If you have already programmed the 659 will it convert directly over to the 688 or do you have to start from scratch?
post #203 of 330 Old 04-24-2004, 04:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 714
You can change the settings on the website. You plug it in and there is an option to change the remote. then you can download the settings for the new one. I just created 2 logins. One for the 659 and oine for the 688 since I am using them in two different areas.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #204 of 330 Old 04-24-2004, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone here will be using it with a HTPC? With USBIRT/ girder? (in combination with regular AV equipment).

I'm not sure if it will be a good choice for me based on the fact that I have to use the web based programming (no tools).
But I like the PVR style buttons.
post #205 of 330 Old 04-24-2004, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

As you probably know, Harmony remotes heavily rely on Activities and corresponding "smart" state changes instead of macros. This actually works much better than macros in many cases. However, there are situations when having a macro would be convenient. From what I've read in this and other forums, there are three alternative ways of simulating macros for Harmony remotes:

1. By creating additional activities.
2. By creating pseudo-devices.
3. By learning multiple IR commands as one command.

This morning I decided to try the third method with my H688. I wanted to see how easy this would be to learn multiple commands into a single button, and if there is a limit on the number of commands I can actually learn at once (I think I've read somewhere that 2-3 commands would be the limit).

For this method to work, you need to learn commands in "raw" mode from another (e.g. original) remote.

First, I experimented with pressing the UP navigation button multiple times. This scrolls through the list of channels in the SufrBar of my Voom STB. Pretty useless as a macro, but gave me an opportunity to see how quickly I need to press buttons, and helped me count the number of clicks.

What I've found was that if I press 2-3 buttons a second and don't make any pauses, I can record as many button clicks as I want to! There was no limit, at least I haven't reached one! At some point, I had 82 clicks(!) successfully recorded and reproduced by H688 in a single button. (That was a very long button click: a 30-second macro!)

Second, for a more useful example, I recorded a 5-button macro to open the system status screen showing satellite signal strength (something I like doing from time to time). Worked just fine!

The bottom line: it is possible to learn pretty long sequences of IR commands into H688, but you need quick fingers :)

Another thing I am going to try: I am pretty sure it should be possible to learn macros created with another remote. For example, I have a macro-capable remote from my H/K receiver, that can control pretty much all of my components. That remote is so inconvenient and non-ergonomic, that I almost never use it. Still, I might be able to create any macro I need, and then I could learn it into H688. I will try...

Edit: Here is one simple application for mini-macros with Harmony. Create one-button shortcuts for your most favorite channels: learn channel numbers and make custom buttons with channel names, place them under Watch TV activity. I find this helpful, especially since the built-in PG lists programs, not channels.

Ilya
post #206 of 330 Old 04-25-2004, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by metropole
Anyone here will be using it with a HTPC? With USBIRT/ girder? (in combination with regular AV equipment).

I'm not sure if it will be a good choice for me based on the fact that I have to use the web based programming (no tools).
But I like the PVR style buttons.
I use it with my Tivo, MDP-120 and TheaterTek (the last two via Girder/IRMan).

The Harmony Database had TheaterTek and the MDP-120 already in the database, so by adding them to the remote via activity, I was able to simply remap the Girder commands with the new Harmony IR codes that were sent. I really (and I mean REALLY) like the "Smart State" concept. Since my audio has no discreets for the input (it just rolls through), making macros on the MX-700 was impossible, since I never knew which state I'd be starting from. Enter the 688 and Smart State. Never have to worry about it again. Also - the list of devices they have pre-programmed in their database is amazing (for instance, they have my X1, Logitech Z680, TheaterTek, MDP-120 and Hughes HDVR2 (well, that one was a given). After a few days messing with the web-based program and 4 calls to tech support (who are really helpful and friendly), I know have a device that my wife can use. The only problem (at this point) is that the "activity" buttons are hard-labled...you can't change them...so for HDTV via the MDP-120, it's Listen to Music (that's the button label). Not super intuitive.

Rgds,

JohnW
post #207 of 330 Old 04-25-2004, 10:27 PM

I just purchased a Harmony 688 and have the following two questions:

I plan to get a HD-TIVO and am actually running it to two different TV's, one HD, one SD. The wiring is component to the HD, s-video to the SD. I will be using 1080i on the HD, 480i on the SD. As well I have remote extenders so I can easily use the remote from either TV and I plan to get two Harmony 688 remotes, one for each TV.
My question, I know I can use the up arrow if I read right to switch inputs so I know when I go to either TV if necessary after choosing watch TV I can select the up arrow. My question though, is it possible to have the remote automatically select 480i at the SD TV and 1080i at the HD TV?

Question 2, at times I watch tv by listening to the sound through my TV, other times I watch TV by listening to sound through the stereo receiver. My question, I have set up separate activities, one to listen to TV through the tv's speakers, one to listen to TV through the stereo. The one to listen to TV through the TV speakers works great but then when I choose to listen to TV through the stereo receiver it works fine on the stereo receiver but of course I still have the sound coming off the TV's speakers.
Is there a way to set it up to turn of the TV's speakers? I know I can manually select mute (but then it says muting on the screen) or simply turn the volume down. That's not a problem at all but I wonder if there's some way to automate this?
post #208 of 330 Old 04-26-2004, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IlyaV
... The programming was simple and straightforward. Even the standard configuration (before any customization) worked well enough.

... VOOM STB was listed under three different names at least! Non of these three configuration sets exactly match VOOM remote. I had to do some tweaking/renaming, e.g. to enable the "Favorites" button...

... Listen to Radio activity didn't work for my HK receiver. Called technical support and they fixed this in 2 minutes, while I was on the phone. Great service for a late-night call!

... Built-in Program Guide works well and stores up to two weeks of programming! Unfortunately it only shows program names, no additional info, not even the channel name/number, so usability is limited. I think it is not a replacement for the on-screen PG, but rather a good compliment, that may come handy at times...

... I love the back light! The remote looks great in the dark! One inconvenience though: if you press the Glow button, the back light stays on only for a certain number of seconds and then goes off, even if you continue pressing buttons. I think this is not right. The remote should reset the time-out timer with each button press after the Glow. I ended up switching the mode - now the back light turns on with any button press (without the Glow button at all). I like this mode more, though I suspect it will drain the battery quickly...

... Overall I am happy with this remote. Works and feels great! At last I can hide all other remotes and have one remote for everything, that the entire family can use...
Mine is coming today. What modifications did you have to do to get the voom box working?
post #209 of 330 Old 04-26-2004, 08:32 AM

Yes, I am getting my remote today too!!! Let Vurbano and I know what kind of settings and or mods we need to use with the Voom receiver. I beleive we both leave our boxes on all the time too.
post #210 of 330 Old 04-26-2004, 09:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

For those that care, Harmony is still working on getting the airboard to work. Having some difficulties apparently.

-MP

Closed Thread Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page