Sammy HLP and the 688 - anyone? - Page 6 - AVS Forum
First ... 4  5  6
Remote Control Area > Sammy HLP and the 688 - anyone?
zlindsay328's Avatar zlindsay328 03:01 PM 01-06-2005
Has anyone been able to customize/program the "Media" button on the 688? If not what is it typically used for anyways?

I wanted to program that to button access my PVR menu on Dish PVR, and it didn't have Media listed as an available button on the website. Ended up just making a command on the LCD screen, but would have preferred to set it to the Media button. Just curious.

mismatched's Avatar mismatched 04:04 PM 01-06-2005
it is used for showing TV listings for channels that you choose using their website and downloading these channels to your remote. It is kinda cool. Depending on your internet connection speed you can have 20 or so of your favorite channels listings at your fingertips by pressing the media button and then using the 4 arrows or the 4-sided wheel in the middle of your remote (not sure how the 688 is configured)
zlindsay328's Avatar zlindsay328 08:26 AM 01-07-2005
Quote:
Originally posted by mismatched
it is used for showing TV listings for channels that you choose using their website and downloading these channels to your remote. It is kinda cool. Depending on your internet connection speed you can have 20 or so of your favorite channels listings at your fingertips by pressing the media button and then using the 4 arrows or the 4-sided wheel in the middle of your remote (not sure how the 688 is configured)
Well that explains why it doesn't do anything for me...cause I never set that part up. I was more focus on getting everything configured properly first. It does sound cool, i'll have to look into it.
mismatched's Avatar mismatched 10:15 AM 01-07-2005
when you get to the Harmony remote home page in the Activities column and under Watch PVR (might be called a different activity for you) clicke on setup TV content. I chose about 25 channels because I have high speed internet and the download time was fine. Be sure to click the Next button at the bottom to move on to the actual download. I think that I chose 7 days worth of download by I might increase that so that I dont have to go back so often. this assumes the programming 14 days in advance is accurate..

enjoy
canaugle's Avatar canaugle 11:52 AM 01-07-2005
The media button can also be used for cd jukeboxes. I have a cd player that holds 300 cd's. You can load the artist and album title to each assigned cd slot number through the website. Once it's downloaded to the remote, the artist name is arranged alphabetically. Pressing the media button in my "listen to music" activity allows me to search alphabetically instead of by disk number. Really nice feature if you have a cd jukebox.

I have the 676 but I assume the media feature is the same as the 688.
jnsavs's Avatar jnsavs 04:40 PM 01-07-2005
It would seem this is working well for others that have Harmony's, and I have to ignorantly ask how and what I can do with this to update my OFA. Does the HEX material have an ability to be reconfigured in such a way that an OFA can use it via a device and individual code?

--j



Quote:
Originally posted by Morbo
I have an HL-P5063W with a 09/04 build date. I was able to get discrete DVI working with the following code I got from remotecentral.com (link follows).

Device Code: 7 Function: 138
0000 006D 0000 0022 00AC 00AC 0015 0040 0015 0040 0015 0040 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0040 0015 0040 0015 0040 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0040 0015 0015 0015 0040 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0040 0015 0040 0015 0015 0015 0040 0015 0015 0015 0040 0015 0040 0015 0040 0015 0015 0015 0689

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...hread.cgi?1863

PM me if you want my Harmony Members login ID to give to support so they can look in my 5063 device file for what I am using. Oh, and my HDMI also works with the stock Harmony codes.

Mitch P.'s Avatar Mitch P. 12:27 PM 02-02-2005
Quote:
Originally posted by Morbo
I have an HL-P5063W with a 09/04 build date. I was able to get discrete DVI working with the following code I got from remotecentral.com (link follows).

Device Code: 7 Function: 138
0000 006D 0000 0022 00AC 00AC 0015 0040 0015 0040 0015 0040 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0040 0015 0040 0015 0040 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0040 0015 0015 0015 0040 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0040 0015 0040 0015 0015 0015 0040 0015 0015 0015 0040 0015 0040 0015 0040 0015 0015 0015 0689

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...hread.cgi?1863

PM me if you want my Harmony Members login ID to give to support so they can look in my 5063 device file for what I am using. Oh, and my HDMI also works with the stock Harmony codes.
finally I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!!! I just e-mailed Harmony tech support and am waiting to hear from them. If they don't fix my problem for me, I'll pm for your login ID and maybe that will steer them in the right direction.
Mitch P.'s Avatar Mitch P. 12:34 PM 02-02-2005
I guess I should have given some more info: I am having troubles getting the discrete DVI input to work with my 688 remote. Hopefully Harmony/Logitech will automatically update my remote for me as I have no idea how to update it via Morbo's device code: 7 Function: 138?
mortifer's Avatar mortifer 12:36 PM 02-02-2005
Quote:
Originally posted by Mitch P.
finally I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!!! I just e-mailed Harmony tech support and am waiting to hear from them. If they don't fix my problem for me, I'll pm for your login ID and maybe that will steer them in the right direction.
your discrete HDMI works??? If so, I've got to get your login ID since my DVI works, but not my HDMI.
Mitch P.'s Avatar Mitch P. 12:41 PM 02-02-2005
Let me go home and double check during lunch. The way I have my remote set up currently is to "step" through the inputs via the "video next" feature. This was necessary due to the fact I couldn't get the DVI discrete working.

I've also got an email into tech support so hopefully they've learned something from all of this. I'd hate to give you my login only to have your remote get as messed up as mine!

What I'll do: Hit "device", select "television", sect next until I see the discrete video inputs and select them one by one and report back with what works and what does not. From what I remember though (and the frustration), almost everything works except for DVI.
mortifer's Avatar mortifer 12:43 PM 02-02-2005
Quote:
Originally posted by Mitch P.
Let me go home and double check during lunch. The way I have my remote set up currently is to "step" through the inputs via the "video next" feature. This was necessary due to the fact I couldn't get the DVI discrete working.

I've also got an email into tech support so hopefully they've learned something from all of this. I'd hate to give you my login only to have your remote get as messed up as mine!

What I'll do: Hit "device", select "television", sect next until I see the discrete video inputs and select them one by one and report back with what works and what does not. From what I remember though (and the frustration), almost everything works except for DVI.
excellent. Thanks. You would be the first (I have heard of) that has discrete HDMI working on the HLPs
Mitch P.'s Avatar Mitch P. 01:24 PM 02-02-2005
I'm in the process of doing two things:

first, I changed my setup to use discrete settings instead of Input/Video Next feature. Then it prompted me to upgrade from FW2.5 to FW2.9 and that's where I'm at right now.

Second, I'm about to go check the discrete inputs in about three mins. Drum roll......:D
Mitch P.'s Avatar Mitch P. 01:37 PM 02-02-2005
So I've enabled the remote to discretely select each input and here's how things stand:

What does NOT get selected discretely:

Component 3
Video2
Video3
DVI
SVideo2

all other inputs can be discretely selected. Hmmmm. I'm going to troubleshoot some more and will report back.

p.s. no, I have not yet heard from Harmony/Logitech so my fingers are still crossed :)
Mitch P.'s Avatar Mitch P. 01:41 PM 02-02-2005
Currently, I have this option selected when trying to set up the remote/tv (from Logitech website). This is the option I have selected

I go directly to the input I want (usually for Stereo Receiver, Amplifier, etc.)

p.s. Devices I am using:

TV: HLP4663W
Sat: HD-210 Hi-def tivo STB via HDMI
DVD: Sammy HD841 via DVI
Camcorder: Sony via S-Video1
Mitch P.'s Avatar Mitch P. 01:53 PM 02-02-2005
Quote:
Originally posted by mortifer
excellent. Thanks. You would be the first (I have heard of) that has discrete HDMI working on the HLPs
Yes, I can confirm that I can discretely select the HDMI input on my HLP4663W. The command that it is supposedly sending is:

"InputHDMI1"

For now, I'll have to wait until the tech support contacts me and hopefully they can resolve the DVI issue.

Are there any users here who are using both the DVI as well as HDMI inputs like I am?
Mitch P.'s Avatar Mitch P. 03:23 PM 02-02-2005
UPDATE 2/2/05

I just got done reading until about page 5 of this thread so if I am repeating info, please forgive me :).

I also just got off the phone with Samsung Tech Support: basically he said there are various discrete codes for the different models (HLN, HLP, etc). Furthermore, apparently the digital boards between the sets are similar and some may just need a firmware upgrade to be able to accept the discrete codes. In any event, my posts will reflect the HLP models.

For my HLP4663W (I appologize, I don't have my FW rev# as I don't know how to access it):

DVI = 8a
HDMI = 8b

this seems to be a compound problem in that certain sets need to have upgraded FW to be able to accept the discretes, and others need to have model specific discrete codes. In any event, I will be instructing the Harmony tech support person to give me a FW which uses DVI = 8a. Hopefully that will work.

I have the name and phone # of the Samsung tech who has issued a ticket for this complaint and he is willing to speak with Harmony directly. Hopefully I can get the two into contact and we can get a resolution across the board :)
mortifer's Avatar mortifer 06:43 AM 02-03-2005
I went home last night and played with my remote and my HLP5663. I could get all but one of the Video and the HDMI to work with the discrete codes provided by harmony. My DVI, Components and SVIDs all work with discretes. The only way that I know of at this point is to actually set up my HDMI is to go to DVI then go up one input to get to HDMI. I dont know how anyone else is getting their HDMI to work, but harmony does not have a discrete code for my HDMI as of last night (I also upgraded to the 2.9 firmware as well for the 688). I hope the Samsung tech can help harmony get the discretes for HDMI.
kevinha's Avatar kevinha 09:10 AM 02-03-2005
I *do* have a discrete working for my HL-P5674W. How do I share it?
Mitch P.'s Avatar Mitch P. 09:50 AM 02-03-2005
Quote:
Originally posted by mortifer
I went home last night and played with my remote and my HLP5663. I could get all but one of the Video and the HDMI to work with the discrete codes provided by harmony. My DVI, Components and SVIDs all work with discretes. The only way that I know of at this point is to actually set up my HDMI is to go to DVI then go up one input to get to HDMI. I dont know how anyone else is getting their HDMI to work, but harmony does not have a discrete code for my HDMI as of last night (I also upgraded to the 2.9 firmware as well for the 688). I hope the Samsung tech can help harmony get the discretes for HDMI.
Remember what the Sammy tech told me: some of the HLP models have different discrete codes. Thus, one set will not work seamlessly across the board. This is second hand info, I'm not the expert.

Repeat, my HDMI discrete is working on my HLP4663W.
Mitch P.'s Avatar Mitch P. 09:54 AM 02-03-2005
Quote:
Originally posted by kevinha
I *do* have a discrete working for my HL-P5674W. How do I share it?
First, read the post right above this where I said that discretes are not seamless across the entire HLP line. This is from Samsung Tech. Thus, I'm not sure how Harmony is going to get us all the correct versions unless they speak with Samsung directly - I have permission to give out his number and name to a Harmony technician. Hopefully I'll be able to get this to work.

Also, when you say you have discrete working could you please be a bit more specific? All of the inputs, or just some? How did you verify?
kevinha's Avatar kevinha 10:07 AM 02-03-2005
I have discretes working for the stuff I use ... Component 1, HDMI and DVI. I know they work because it's all single-push ... no need to do "next input" at all. My HDMI and Component 1 discretes worked "out of the box" with from Harmony. Only the DVI I had to "learn."

If I recall correctly, I obtained the discrete data for the DVI input from a Pronoto post here on avsforum.com and pasted that data into Harmony's tool, which promptly pushed it down to my remote and worked like a champ.
Mitch P.'s Avatar Mitch P. 12:49 PM 02-04-2005
just got word from Harmony tech support. They are in contact with Samsung and are trying to resolve my problem of not being able to get the DVI to work. For now, he has given me a pseudo work-a-round (first select Comp2 then do a step to DVI). This will work I'm sure, but it's still not the "fix"

All I have to say is that Harmony tech support is awesome and even the Samsung technician was easy to get ahold of. Nice :)
First ... 4  5  6

Up
Mobile  Desktop