Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 99 Old 12-31-2004, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Logitech/Harmony will be displaying at least one new remote at CES this year (I've heard rumors of others as well). They've released a press "teaser" about the new remote as follows:

"Logitech unveils the latest Harmony remote, offering new features for controlling HDTVs & PVRs. Boasting a large, color LCD screen, on-screen activity icons & extensive personalization options, this next-generation remote makes it easier than ever to navigate & operate today's the complexities of today's home entertainment systems."

Very interesting. More to follow.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
Contributing reviewer and THX calibrator, ProjectorReviews.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 99 Old 12-31-2004, 02:48 PM

Liked: 11
Sorta off topic but . . . .

Mike - have you heard anything new from HTM? Or is the "O" line the newest that they'll have at the show?

Thanks

DXB
post #3 of 99 Old 01-01-2005, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes. They should have a better working version of the 950 though.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
post #4 of 99 Old 01-01-2005, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

sounds cool
post #5 of 99 Old 01-02-2005, 09:20 AM
jcg
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Any idea if the new remotes will support macros (the one thing Harmony has been lacking)?

John

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeSRC
Logitech/Harmony will be displaying at least one new remote at CES this year (I've heard rumors of others as well). They've released a press "teaser" about the new remote as follows:

"Logitech unveils the latest Harmony remote, offering new features for controlling HDTVs & PVRs. Boasting a large, color LCD screen, on-screen activity icons & extensive personalization options, this next-generation remote makes it easier than ever to navigate & operate today's the complexities of today's home entertainment systems."

Very interesting. More to follow.
post #6 of 99 Old 01-04-2005, 08:01 AM

Does this mean they're moving from a small LCD screen/more hard buttons to a larger LCD screen less button format?
post #7 of 99 Old 01-04-2005, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeSRC
Yes. They should have a better working version of the 950 though.
Mike -

I did a search and didn't see anything on the MX-950. Do you have info to share with us?

Thanks much . . . .

DXB

edit: I actually remembered that the MX-950 was the Aurora remote. The beginning of the "A" line of HTM remotes.

:D

DXB
post #8 of 99 Old 01-05-2005, 05:28 AM

Just in case it hasn't been spotted yet, it looks as if the Color LCD remote is now on the Logitech web site. Of more interest to me than the color lcd is the fact that it's rechargeable, via a docking station. Wish my 680 had that!

See more here:
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...CONTENTID=9933

Dave
post #9 of 99 Old 01-05-2005, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's the press release. Not a whole lot more info than what's on the webpage:

LAS VEGAS — Jan. 05, 2004 — At the 2005 Consumer Electronics Show, Logitech (SWX: LOGN) (NASDAQ: LOGI) will preview a new universal remote control optimized for people buying complicated new HDTVs and personal video recorders (PVRs). With a large color display, the new Logitech® Harmony® 880 advanced remote control offers enhanced navigation that simplifies the use of these new home-entertainment systems. Slated for availability in April, the new remote is the first to leverage Logitech's renowned design expertise to make the Harmony remote even more stylish and intuitive, so home-entertainment can be fun and relaxing. "People buying a high-definition TV today are likely to be frustrated by all the adjustments they have to make every time they simply want to switch from watching a TV program to watching a DVD," said Bryan McLeod, vice president of Logitech's remote control division. "These new home-entertainment devices are complicated, especially for the family. The Harmony 880 remote can take the headaches and confusion away."

Maintaining the same comfort-grip design as previous models of Harmony remotes, the new Harmony 880 features a vibrant, color LCD and finely sculpted buttons that make selecting an activity a breeze. Colorful icons now accompany text on the LCD screen to allow for quick and easy command of home entertainment equipment. The remote is also rechargeable, eliminating the need to change batteries. When the remote is not in use, it rests on an attractive charging platform. Those with an eye for design will also be drawn to the polished chrome directional pad and buttons, contrasted by the remote's glossy black and brushed grey finishes.

The Harmony remote solves a problem that is prevalent in the modern-day living room: too many complicated remote controls. It has the ability to control any component with an infrared receiver. After an intuitive, Internet-powered setup, any family member or guest can use the Harmony remote without guesswork or frustration. Selecting an activity - such as watching a DVD or watching TV - requires pressing just one button. Logitech's patented Smart State Technology allows the Harmony remote to easily control a home entertainment system by knowing how components are connected, the status of each device and any given time, and how to direct each component.

The color display has eight buttons, four located on the left and right sides, which together serve as a personalized activity control center. During setup, background images can be downloaded to fit personal preference. To optimize visual navigation, on-screen icons and text describe specific activities, such as watching TV or listening to music. The remote is fully backlit so it's easy to navigate in the dark. When their eyes are glued to the television, people can find useful buttons effortlessly, by touch. The primary navigation controls - such as play, pause, record and the number buttons - are easily identified by feel due to their varied size, shape and location.

With rechargeable lithium ion batteries, the Harmony 880 remote will never require new batteries. Meanwhile, the stylish recharging station provides a home for the remote so that the whole family knows where to put and find it. Oriented horizontally, the recharging platform fits in a subtle, yet attractive manner on either a side table, or atop the entertainment stack.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
post #10 of 99 Old 01-05-2005, 11:18 AM

nuts,

Looks like I should have waited for this one. Had the 680 sent from Surf Audio on the 22nd (based on Mike's rec) and just got it fully functional this morning.

But, looks like the new model will be more suited for true PVR operations, especially with the two DirecTV TiVo units I have.

Maybe I can get my wife to let me buy another one?

Hope someone at the Las Vegas show provides some feedback on the look and feel of this new unit.
post #11 of 99 Old 01-05-2005, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oldngrouchy

But, looks like the new model will be more suited for true PVR operations, especially with the two DirecTV TiVo units I have.

Maybe I can get my wife to let me buy another one?

Hope someone at the Las Vegas show provides some feedback on the look and feel of this new unit.
I will tomorrow. :D

It remains to be seen if this model will be any better for PVR use than the 680.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
post #12 of 99 Old 01-05-2005, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's an enlarged picture from the press release where you can see the button labeling: Harmony 880

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
post #13 of 99 Old 01-05-2005, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DaJoos
...Of more interest to me than the color lcd is the fact that it's rechargeable, via a docking station. Wish my 680 had that!
Well, it would pretty much have to be, since color LCDs are such battery suckers.

I like it on my PDA. I don't spend enough time looking at my remote to care if it's color.
post #14 of 99 Old 01-05-2005, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

When? When? When?

I want one now!:D

The LCD screen will be so much easier to explain to a babysitter instead of her being confused as to why the "Music" button is actually for the SD TiVo.

Please do not send me PM's asking for software! You will not get it.
post #15 of 99 Old 01-05-2005, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sorry, I forgot to add the following part:

Pricing and Availability:

The Harmony 880 remote is expected to be available beginning in April in North America and in May in Europe. The suggested retail price is expected to be $249.95 in the U.S.

Note that the MSRP is the same as the 688.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
post #16 of 99 Old 01-05-2005, 05:09 PM

Seems like it will be great to have better control of the activity labeling, but IMHO, the transport controls (and number buttons) are simply too low on this remote. The transport buttons really need to be placed higher, probably just under the LCD screen. I have a 676 and and find that the transport buttons are in the sweet spot for me. Since I am just a few weeks into my use of the 676 and love it, I think I will wait to see the spinoffs of the 880.
post #17 of 99 Old 01-05-2005, 08:45 PM

I notice that it is also missing the Live TV and Now Playing List hard buttons that the 680 has. If this is supposed to be the DVR remote, then why aren't those there? It will be kind of annoying to have to switch hand positions from the lower half of the remote using the transport keys to the upper section and the LCD screen keys to go into the Now Playing List.

Why can't any of the remote manufacturers get it right? :)

At first I thought this remote would be the one to get, but the 680 may be the better remote for day to day Tivo use. The 880 definitely has the "easy for the babysitter to use" going for it. I like that you can have all 8 activities on the screen at once, instead of having 3 hard buttons, and then the rest are on the LCD screen. I don't like having to tell people if you want to do this, then press this button. But if you want to do this, press this button, and then press this button next to the label. Why can't they have the 680 hard button layout, with the 880 screen - that would be perfect for me.

Bryan
post #18 of 99 Old 01-05-2005, 10:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

http://www.logitech.com/lang/images/0/6614.jpg

looks cool, the grey band appears to be buttons
post #19 of 99 Old 01-06-2005, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
from the logitech website for the 880:
Quote:
Lithium-ion battery provides up to a one-week charge under normal use
so we have to recharge this sucker every week ?
post #20 of 99 Old 01-06-2005, 11:56 AM

Not as long as you keep it on the charger base when it's not in use...
post #21 of 99 Old 01-06-2005, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mumblypeg
Not as long as you keep it on the charger base when it's not in use...
If it's Li-Ion that might not be such a good idea. Capacity deteriorates at about 200 charges. And it counts as a charge whether you go from 0-100% or from 95-100%.

Please don't argue without doing some research. I have checked this out and there are more "urban legends" about Li-Ion than you can shake a stick at.

If you're going to refute, post a link to an authoritative source.
post #22 of 99 Old 01-06-2005, 01:57 PM

At least you can change them out compared to the iPod battery.
post #23 of 99 Old 01-06-2005, 05:18 PM

AcuraCl....I made a simple statement based on what I have read on other sites concerning LiIon batteries.
I wasn't trying to argue any point. As to which site might be considered "authoritative", is subjective.
Here's one site....but I imagine it won't meet your standards.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...30314081843218
post #24 of 99 Old 01-06-2005, 06:15 PM

that right there is def going to be my new remote......

i've decided that harmony is the way to go since i am constantly holding the remote and such and its the both the looks and all the functions i want/need......if they could only release it a lil sooner now....

-Lude
post #25 of 99 Old 01-06-2005, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

That things awesome but 250 for a remote is pretty pricey
post #26 of 99 Old 01-06-2005, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

big question: are they gonna bring back the XML/Macro functionality of the 7xx series on this remote?

as for the lithium recharageables question, the stuff that i've read says that these batteries have a finite number of discharge-charge cycles (as you said), but the number of cycles was more like in the 1000 cycles range (probably varies by the battery make/quality) and that if you recharged from about 70% capacity or above, then it didn't cound as a cycle.
post #27 of 99 Old 01-07-2005, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Forsyth
That things awesome but 250 for a remote is pretty pricey
Ummm? The suggested retail price for the 688 is $250 & you can get it for allot less online. You will for the the 880 too. The 680 is $199 & I paid $130.

" I say down with stretch-O-vision and any channel to use it! "
post #28 of 99 Old 01-07-2005, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
AcuraCl....I made a simple statement based on what I have read on other sites concerning LiIon batteries.
I wasn't trying to argue any point. As to which site might be considered "authoritative", is subjective.

MP, actually I agree with most of their recs.

I disagree with the "charge often" rec. bec. of the limitation on charge cycles. I tend to agree with the "do not do repeated deep discharges" but I have had good success taking the batteries to about 20% of charge ... I believe they rec. 40%. 20% is nowhere near deep discharge.

I'm just trying to get max. life out of the batteries.
post #29 of 99 Old 01-07-2005, 07:41 AM

Quote:

I find the above link to be pretty consistent with my understanding of LiIon aging. For those of you wanting even more data on the effects of temperature and storage charge on battery lifetime:
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm
Chuck
post #30 of 99 Old 01-07-2005, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, just checked out the 880. It's only a prototype, so a lot of the buttons don't work or aren't in their final configuration.

First the bad news, no XML editing or RF capability. No separate macro capability.

Good news, keeping in mind that most of this is planned and wasn't demonstrated:

1. Color LCD screen looks nice and you can input your own graphics
2. Expanded activity control and special allowance for screen aspect ratios and surround settings
3. Favorite channel screens with color icons
4. Individual commands on the LCD screen are fully editable for text and graphics.
5. Proposed 2 week battery life on full charge, rechaging takes about 3 hours
6. Overall feel is good, same size as other "6" series rmeotes, transport buttons not too low IMO.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
Closed Thread Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page