Harmony 880 at Best Buy - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 140 Old 05-03-2005, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just picked one up. 5:00pm Tues 5-3-05. Best Buy is getting them 2-3 weeks before everyone else according to the Harmony sales rep. The Best Buy in Austin,TX has 8 in stock.
regards, Matt

posted via Treo650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 140 Old 05-03-2005, 04:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

so it was an 880
post #3 of 140 Old 05-03-2005, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Best Buy cut a deal with Logitech to scoop up most of the first batch of 880s. They're supposed to be getting some to the rest of us before the end of the month. It will be in mass distribution on June 10.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
Contributing reviewer and THX calibrator, ProjectorReviews.com
post #4 of 140 Old 05-03-2005, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

are you paying $249 for them at BB?
post #5 of 140 Old 05-03-2005, 05:12 PM

Yeah, let us know about the price! They don't show it on the BB web site.

Scott

"you can never doubt what nobody is sure about" Willy Wonka
post #6 of 140 Old 05-03-2005, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

I paid full pop, but its a small price to pay for the ability to say I HAVE ONE...
The price match thing may help if they are anywhere else cheaper. I figured I would pay at least $190 for it, I was not going to do the on-line thing.
Matt
post #7 of 140 Old 05-03-2005, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
So the rumor about a price drop is false after all?
post #8 of 140 Old 05-03-2005, 06:19 PM

So, lets have some details about the remote! I've not seen a manual available on-line, so your comments are appreciated!

Scott

post #9 of 140 Old 05-03-2005, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Stryker412
I never heard a rumor about MSRP going down, just the posiablty of retial going down. I have seen some offerd at $160-$190, but they are "out of stock"..LOL (read never had).

I would have liked $200 better, but comparied to all the other remotes that do the same, its par, not to mention the ease of use, cool web setup and such. Unless it just chokes and fails to work, I bet I'll be happy with it and not mind the price too bad.
post #10 of 140 Old 05-03-2005, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by sonicflood
So, lets have some details about the remote! I've not seen a manual available on-line, so your comments are appreciated!

Scott
Are you sitting down? I read the manual and its fully charging before I use it for full battery life. It was/is hard to let it just sit there....

I'll write a review tommorrow. I can't wait to play with the 880 and see what she can do..
post #11 of 140 Old 05-03-2005, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
There was never going to be a drop in the MSRP. The H688 has the same MSRP, $249, but it's obviously sold for much less, as will the 880 when it hits the street. This was BB's only way to make any money off them so it was a smart move on their part.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
Contributing reviewer and THX calibrator, ProjectorReviews.com
post #12 of 140 Old 05-03-2005, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd rather wait then if BB is selling them at MSRP.
post #13 of 140 Old 05-03-2005, 06:34 PM

Be sure and register, find the manual on-line and post a link for us!

I can't seem to get to it as you have to connect the remote to usb and link up to the logitech web site before you can access it. :( It's located on the member page as a link (as per the web site).

I can only access the test drive pages and there's no direct link.

Scott

post #14 of 140 Old 05-03-2005, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'd rather wait then if BB is selling them at MSRP.
Your no fun :p

Yea, if you want to play, you have to pay is the saying. :rolleyes:

I'll get bent when I see all the posts about people like you getting them for $195 and such.. :eek: :rolleyes: :mad: :( :p and go :confused:
But I knew that, and still bought it. I hope I don't cry too much.

I bet in 3 weeks they will be a a decent price and then the bug will be gone too, so I guess I am a beta pilot again too.
its all good.
post #15 of 140 Old 05-03-2005, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by sonicflood
Be sure and register, find the manual on-line and post a link for us!

I can't seem to get to it as you have to connect the remote to usb and link up to the logitech web site before you can access it. It's located on the member page as a link (as per the web site).

I can only access the test drive pages and there's no direct link.

Scott
Here ya go my friend..

880series_usermanual.pdf 435.5166015625k . file
post #16 of 140 Old 05-03-2005, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Burkhardi
Your no fun :p

Yea, if you want to play, you have to pay is the saying. :rolleyes:

Trust me, it's not like I don't want it right now. I just can't afford that right now. :(
post #17 of 140 Old 05-03-2005, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Burkhardi
Here ya go my friend.. :D
Thanks! Keep us up to date on how you like/dislike it!

Scott

post #18 of 140 Old 05-03-2005, 09:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

definetly let us know what you think
post #19 of 140 Old 05-03-2005, 11:28 PM

Called one bestbuy here, they didnt have it today. It took so long to get to somebody who could check I didn't have the heart to try the dozen other local locations.
post #20 of 140 Old 05-04-2005, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

I hate when companies go to the major chain stores first! BB won't even know what to do with this thing until some pimple-faced freak comes across 12 cartons in the stock room while the resellers you see here and on other forums have been clamoring for them and would probably be placing their 2nd order already to replace their sold out inventory. BB may buy a lot up front but these guys together will double those sales in the first few months of the product.

Jim
post #21 of 140 Old 05-04-2005, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
That nail just got slammed squarely on the head, remoteshoppe:rolleyes:

Dave Harper
ISF, CTS
Harper Home Theater Systems
ISF Calibrations, Consultations
Sales & Installations
post #22 of 140 Old 05-04-2005, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Link to pictures, they are horrid. I'll get some good close up's once the sun comes up, this flash on this Digital camera stinks.
http://gallery.avsforum.com/showgall...ppuser=7481430
post #23 of 140 Old 05-04-2005, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I want to see the backlight in action.... waiting for some new pics. :)
post #24 of 140 Old 05-04-2005, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by jagouar
I want to see the backlight in action.... waiting for some new pics. :)
I added a realy leme picture of the back light. I had to cover the display to even get the camera to see the other lights.

I am really starting to see the limits of this Kodak Easy Share Camera. I need to just bite the bullet and get a Cannon digital body to go with all my lenses. I am use to a analog camera and don't know jack about this Easy Share camera. Its fusterating to not have it do what I want it to do and I don't want to get the Analog Cannon out and buy some film and take the shots and get them devleoped and scan them in.

If I get some time tonight and the wife doesn't mind, I'll try to get some good pictures. This is fusterating !!:mad:
post #25 of 140 Old 05-04-2005, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Without every seeing or using the 659, I would say that the 880 is the cats meow!

However, since I had a 659 and got use to it, I now see things that the 880 does that are different or I am not familuar with yet. I guess I need to give it time. Here is what I am getting at.. (this is not an 880 bashing post, I know in a couple weeks I'll think the 880 is where it's at)

I'll give the 880 a rating of 8 right now and I am pretty sure it will be a 9 or 10 in a week or two, so take that with a grain of salt as you read my post below.

Love the color display, wish the resolution was better (128x160-pixel ), I am spolied by my 320x320 Treo 650 Smartphone I guess.

When you pick up the 880, it wakes up, pretty slick!! It's got a motion sensor in it. It also has a screen saver with an option to load your own pictures.

I love the craddel idea and the Li-Ion battery too, no more having to put new batteries in every two months.

The layout is different then the 659 and perhaps I am not use to it too, but the 659 seems more intuitive. On the 659 it's easier to hold the remote in one hand and be able to access the volume, Channels, number buttons and such. I seem to remember with the 659 getting to those with ease. On the 880 I have to stretch my fingers more it seems for some things. I'll get use to it I am sure.

I like the fact that there are 8 activities I can choose with just a press of the button next to the icon. However, once in the activity, there are no one touch buttons to press to get to another activity like on the 659 where there were always the "watch TV" and "Watch Movie" buttons to press no matter what. With the 880, when in an activity, I have to press the "Activity" button to choose another thing to do. So it made switching to a new activity go from one press to two it seems, once you are in an acivity.

My gut feeling it's just a comfort level (both physical and mental) and I'll get over it really soon, I am just trying to be frank with post. Also to note, I have to really problem with this, I just want to say what was going thru my mind.

The buttons fell better over all too, but the number buttons are close together and it would have made more sence to me, to have the lay out like the 659 where its the mouse in the center and below that are the channel buttons with the DVD/VCR buttons on the bottom. With the 800, it's the mouse in the center, then the DVD/VCR buttons with the Channel butons on bottom. Once again, just a comfort and getting use to thing I assume. I would like to have the DVD/VCR buttons on botton since I use them less then the number buttons.

Fully charge the 880 before you use it. Also if you have another Harmony, make sure you logout off the account and then close the browser before you start the install. I was getting an error about not enought memeory in the remote. I had both accounts open (659 and 880) so I could see my old settings and I think that kinda jacked with the setup of the 880. Once I closed everything out and started with install again, it went smooth. It opened a browser for me and walked me through it and I didn't get that memeory error again either. Logitech says you can email them and they will move your account over to the new user name (you can only have one remote model per user name, so for the 880 I had to make a new account) and make it preset for the 880 for you, but that takes time and I wanted to play with the 880 ASAP..LOL If you get an error like i did (not enough memeory), try to do the whole install over again.

Back to the buttons, the mouse clicks when you use it, unlike the 659, so I find the pysical click annoying, but I'll get use to that too I assume. Just when I am going thru the STB menu/guide, I hear Click,click, click, a bazzillion times as I navagte around the menu.

Someone or website said the 880 was bigger, it looks about the same size as the 659 and seems to have a bottom half almost identical to the 659, So I see little to no size increase.

Having said that, the 880 has many more options and buttons then the 659 and the 880 is billed as an "Advanced Remote" verses the 659 that is not billed as an Advance Remote. So all in all, I would rather have a remote that is a little cramped, then one that is bigger. So all my concerns could be that I went from a no thrills basic remote, to a sports car remote. Like having a concern becasue my new vette is harder to see out the back window then the Toyota Camry that I sold for the vette..someone may say, what do you expect bonehead...

I hope this post doen't detour anyone from buying this remote. I just want everyone to have a normal expitaion for it. After the CES 2005 write up and hype, perhaps I had my expitations at an unrealistic level. As a matter of fact, I now know I did.

See I feel better about it already.. :p

Off to play around with it somemore and I'll try to get some good pictures later too.

Regards, Matt

Caveat This is my inital responce, right after paying full pop retail of $249 and not having ever seen a 880 in real life. After a couple days I may be so impressed that I will go door to door selling these for Logitech. I still think I made a good choice getting the 880 and selling my 659 and Logitech did a good job on this remote and thinking it out. Also this is the first full Harmony to be from Logitech and not the Canadian company and logitech together, so the thinking and or layout is bound to be different.

Let me know if I can expand on any comments that I made above.
post #26 of 140 Old 05-04-2005, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, my local BB got 3 of them in yesterday, and sold all 3 (2 to employees). I got them to ship me one from a Houston store. Looking at the Texas inventory screen, it looked like most of the Texas stores got a couple of 880s.
post #27 of 140 Old 05-04-2005, 12:06 PM

There is nothing available in PA 's Best Buy...I called about 8 stores within a 200 mile radius and nothing...Any one else hear of anything in PA ?

Denon 2808CI
Emotiva XPA-2-Mains
Emotiva UPA-2-Bi-Amped-Center
Definitive Technology BP-7004 (Mains), CLR 3000(Center), BP 1.2x (Rear & Side Surrounds)
JTR Sealed Captivator S2, PE Titanic 1000 watt Sonotube
Panasonic PT-AE8000u Projector, Panasonic Blu-Ray Player BDT-500
Carada 88" Projector Screen
post #28 of 140 Old 05-04-2005, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
No, I checked the Harrisburg store near me and they don't have them either, according the sales rep anyway:rolleyes: He did say they are getting a truck tomorrow and they may be on that.

Let me know if you find one via PM.

Dave Harper
ISF, CTS
Harper Home Theater Systems
ISF Calibrations, Consultations
Sales & Installations
post #29 of 140 Old 05-04-2005, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Burkhardi,

My friend works for Best Buy and can't find it in their system. Could you post the UPC code, so he can look it up by that? Thanks.
post #30 of 140 Old 05-04-2005, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Had 2 or 3 at the Best Buy in Rochester, MI

Picked it up at noon and have been setting it up online here at work :D
Will have to do some remote learning when I get home to finish it off.

Blu won :(
No big deal, I don't buy movies anymore anyway. Time to move on.
Closed Thread Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page