Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #91 of 107 Old 11-15-2005, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Scott
Right now I'm able to access my media files (music, photos, video) via wifi using the remote. The remote screen, as you probably know, catalogs all of these files right onto your remote screen. You can even view your photos on the remote although the pics are very small. As far as audio goes, I'm able to listed to my mp3's but right now that's confined to my computer monitor. I have ordered a 50ft optical cable to run over to my amplifier so I can listen to these files in my den by using the Nevo. I'm not sure what type of outputs my video card has but I went ahead and ordered a 50ft S-Video as well.

I guess right now, things aren't that different seeing as how I'm not sending the media anywhere new. As far as I can tell, one of two things is required for that: direct cabling or a media server set up with my home theater. SOMEONE PLEASE CORRECT ME IF THERE IS ANOTHER OPTION. At one time I thought the NevoLink would be able to receive media wirelessly and transmit the data over optical, etc. but after looking closely at the diagrams of the unit, I realize this is not so.

As far as how I paired the two, I followed along with the instructional video on Nevo University step by step, pausing on occasion, until it happened. I do recall having the same problem as you: when pressing the "..." icon to select each piece of the pairing, nothing showed up. I wish I could tell you what I did, but I tried it several times (over maybe 15-20min) and all of a sudden, they appeared. Ever since thaowevert first "nonresponsiveness", my server has been picked up without fail. I'll try to recall of I actually did more than "try, try again" and if anything comes to mind, I'll let you know. However, those days of my life are a blur due to banging my head repeatedly against a wall during this process.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 107 Old 11-15-2005, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Scott
Right now I'm able to access my media files (music, photos, video) via wifi using the remote. The remote screen, as you probably know, catalogs all of these files right onto your remote screen. You can even view your photos on the remote although the pics are very small. As far as audio goes, I'm able to listed to my mp3's but right now that's confined to my computer monitor. I have ordered a 50ft optical cable to run over to my amplifier so I can listen to these files in my den by using the Nevo. I'm not sure what type of outputs my video card has but I went ahead and ordered a 50ft S-Video as well.

I guess right now, things aren't that different seeing as how I'm not sending the media anywhere new. As far as I can tell, one of two things is required for that: direct cabling or a media server set up with my home theater. SOMEONE PLEASE CORRECT ME IF THERE IS ANOTHER OPTION. At one time I thought the NevoLink would be able to receive media wirelessly and transmit the data over optical, etc. but after looking closely at the diagrams of the unit, I realize this is not so.

As far as how I paired the two, I followed along with the instructional video on Nevo University step by step, pausing on occasion, until it happened. I do recall having the same problem as you: when pressing the "..." icon to select each piece of the pairing, nothing showed up. I wish I could tell you what I did, but I tried it several times (over maybe 15-20min) and all of a sudden, they appeared. Ever since that first "nonresponsiveness", my server has been picked up without fail. I'll try to recall of I actually did more than "try, try again" and if anything comes to mind, I'll let you know. However, those days of my life are a blur due to banging my head repeatedly against a wall during this process.

Chris
post #93 of 107 Old 11-15-2005, 04:58 PM

Thanks for the encouragement Chris. I'm still in the head banging days but do persist in these matters.

I have a second computer in my audio stack and will be outputting to my whole house amp. Good luck on that long run to your amp.

Scott
post #94 of 107 Old 11-15-2005, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

So no one knows what they paid for their Nevo? :)
post #95 of 107 Old 11-15-2005, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

On my first "fully wifi" day with the update, I was very impressed with the battery life. I had mine set to Cradle: WiFi always on & Nevo off after 30 min. On Battery: WiFi always on & Nevo always on. With these settings I expected the thing's battery life to fade away within minutes but after 2-3 hours of watching TiVo (FF, Pause, RW, Menu changes) along with intermittent tinkering with the Nevo, I noticed absolutely no change in the battery life indicator (hope its accurate!). Since I wasn't running the Nevo this hard before, I don't really know how to compare my experience to before the update, BUT I'm very relieved...my expectations were very low for the battery life on such high settings
post #96 of 107 Old 11-16-2005, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

emilika? did you say something? Just kidding. I paid $600 for mine shipped.
post #97 of 107 Old 11-16-2005, 12:17 PM

Well, got the remote working with the nevo server. Very nice and easy interface. The cover art is not working at all. Also, need to import my playlists but I can live with it how it is now.

If you are trying to configure the nevo let me mention these steps not discussed in the "whitepaper".

1. Disable the NAV internet worm protection and later add new rules to allow Nevo server and media player!

2. Go to network connections, advanced, other devices and be sure UPnP is activated on all computers invoved!

If anyone can get cover art displayed let me know how.

I paid 825 shipped.

Scott
post #98 of 107 Old 11-16-2005, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

how's your head Scott? At first mine would hiccup on occasion and lose connection. Let me tell you waht I've been doing today. I set my fully charged Nevo to stay on all the time when on battery (unit & WiFi) and had the backlight turn off at 1 minute.

I have had it off its dock since 11am and it is only 1/2 discharged. I have used it quite often during that period (home control & media control). I'm impressed! That's 6hrs with moderately heavy use and only 1/2 the battery gone.

UPDATE: 7 1/2 hrs and about 25% battery remains. I'm putting this puppy back on the charger.

In my opinion, if on the next update Nevo would install a greater range of Time out options while on battery (especially a 30 minute option), I think this thing could go for maybe a couple of days without really annoying you much with delays. The problem with the timeouts as they are is that, with 15 minutes being your longest option other than "Never" while on battery, its likely to sleep JUST before you pick it up to FF the TiVo through the next set of commercials.
post #99 of 107 Old 11-25-2005, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Just when I was starting to forget about Pronto, my Nevo does something like this! My Nevo will no longer charge via the cradle. I have checked the contacts, everything is clean. The back of the Nevo and the cradle light up. The battery icon on the Nevo screen even cycles but nothing is happening with the battery. The Nevo finally died while on the cradle. I have discovered that the unit does still charge via the USB port BUT that makes the cradle pretty much useless. I'd have to leave my computer on all night, everynight to keep it charged via USB. When I place it on the cradle, everything points to a functional cradle/charge but when I take the Nevo off the cradle, the battery is more depleted than when I put it on!

So somewhere between the cradle's contacts and the Nevo's battery there is a probelm. It's not the battery itself or it wouldn't charge via USB. Seems funny too that the contacts trigger the blue light on both the cradle and the Nevo as well as cause the battery indicator on the screen to cycle but still not charge it.

Has anyone else experienced this?? Heard of this?? Know of a solution to this??

I've emailed Nevo but the last 2 times I've emailed them I haven't heard a word. Very disappointing...

ANY IDEAS?

Chris
post #100 of 107 Old 11-25-2005, 10:32 PM

Hi Chris,

I feel your pain, being that i'm now onto my THIRD Nevo SL remote, after the first 2 having battery problems.

From what i have been told, there was a batch with faulty batteries, and are still currently on the market bing sold.

So poor saps like you and me put down our hard earned cash on a VERY expensive toy, only to get lumped with faulty goods, and then have to return them for replacement (which it seems is something of a crapshoot).

My last nevo would only show signs of power if connected via USB or ON the charger. The instant it was running on it's own power it would kill itself.
The first one was less than 4 weeks old and the charge was getting less and less each time... and i didn't use wi-fi. It was randomly killing itself, and even got to teh point of indicating no charge, even after a full nights rest on the charger.

Matt.G
(Australia)

Matt Goldsmith
DVDown Under
post #101 of 107 Old 12-27-2005, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
So does the Nevo need more developement time? Not too popular of a thread lately...

AI Limited
post #102 of 107 Old 12-27-2005, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

That's probably it. That said, I've no longer had any issues (knock on wood) with the Nevo/battery. My solution was to flat out turn the Nevo's WiFi off. I chose an IR based relay system and this solved both my battery life issues and charging issues and saved me $200 on a NevoLink as well.

As for the streaming MP3 bit, it's nice but not worth the cost in battery life (to me anyways). I picked up an XBox 360 and am using it to stream all my media (photos now in HD). I don't get the list of MP3's on my remote screen which was kinda neat BUT everything else is there without all the hassels mentioned above.

To me, this thing would be all but perfect if you had the option to leave the WiFi off until you select a media zone which SHOULD then turn on the WiFi for that express purpose. Of course those who are using a NevoLink could also choose to leave it on all the time. Long story short: more power options would be big for this thing in my book. A change in that direction would improve it's versatility by saving precious battery life until you are actually utilizing those activities. Just my .02.
post #103 of 107 Old 12-28-2005, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
cKelley, check the nevo sl forum over at remotecentral.com if I remember correctly the battery life problem has been addressed with firmware upgrades and installers seem to be satisfied with the results, my dealer still has my nevo and is doing some tinkering with it so I cant comment on any experience with it at this point, it looks like an awesome remote and its replacing a logitech 880 which I have found to be a great starter remote but limited in what I need it to do in my theater especially controlling my x-10 lighting
post #104 of 107 Old 01-25-2006, 07:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly33
That's probably it. That said, I've no longer had any issues (knock on wood) with the Nevo/battery. My solution was to flat out turn the Nevo's WiFi off. I chose an IR based relay system and this solved both my battery life issues and charging issues and saved me $200 on a NevoLink as well.
ckelly, you had mentioned about a charging problem with the base, but I'm not sure how that could have been solved by running IR only. Any thoughts?

I'm looking at the Nevo SL and also the MX950 Aurora. I know the Remote Technology t3 is pricier and appears similar to the Nevo. Anyone have any thoughts on this grouping of remotes?

Also, is it possible to buy the Nevo without having it programmed for you or is definitely advisable to have someone do it for you?

Thanks
post #105 of 107 Old 01-26-2006, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

ONe opinion on another forum was that it drains the battery faster than it charges. I really don't know. I can say I haven't had the problem again since dropping the "power mongering" settings. Honestly, I believed I had a bad unit, I even had arranged for an exchange but I gave it one more chance (fearing an exchange could take weeks) and I've been happy ever since.

As far as the programming goes, if you can program a Pronto, this thing is by far easier (although there are one or two Pronto programming features that I miss). If you've never programmed before, check out stealthX's comments on the remote central forum. He's pratically giddy with the Nevo...so am I.

Chris
post #106 of 107 Old 01-27-2006, 04:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 910
Thanks Chris. Did you compare the Nevo against the RTI T3?
post #107 of 107 Old 04-20-2006, 02:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Hello, quick bump for the thread.

Has anyone been able to display dvd cover art via escient fierball with the remote yet? Earlier posts had said that this may be possible with updated software. Has anyone had any success?

Thanks,

Jason
Closed Thread Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page