post #91 of 386 Old 11-22-2005, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

I'm sure some one will sell this one for cheaper than MSRP. It is not fair to compare MSRP to sell price or internet price.

FYI, I don't like 880 at all.

Still testing this one out. I'm not sure I'll keep it.

Target.com has the 520 for $81
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 386 Old 11-22-2005, 04:55 PM
gvc
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Just bought the 520's cousin, Harmony for Xbox 360, from BestBuy. It looks a lot like 520 with all silver face plate and one row of extra buttons in the middle and one row of extra buttons on the bottom. Hopefully it will worth the extra $30 over 520 for 8 extra buttons because I don't have a XBox 360

Please report if ALL the extra buttons are custom programmable. thanks. I dont have an Xbox and dont plan to get one either.
post #93 of 386 Old 11-22-2005, 06:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Yes, all the extra buttons are customizable. And they come really handy to assign those DVR buttons. In fact, two of the X Box buttons already have secondary label as Guide and Live TV.

I like the color schema of the XBox 360 one better than stock 520. It's actually silve in place of black on 520 and white on the bottom half of the remote. The back lighting is green instead of 520's blue. After being bathed in a giantic blue light of my LCD TV every night, I'm really hate anything with blue light.

Hopefully, somewhere this remote will be selling for less than MSRP, probably found among various XBox 360 accessories.
post #94 of 386 Old 11-22-2005, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
As mentioned in another post, the 520 has a similar finish like the Sony PSP- impossible to keep it from getting smudged and fingerprints all over the thing- I tried a microfiber cloth but the black rubber buttons are so close together its hard to get in between them. I then tried a cotton bud and found another thing I dislike about this remote- the black rubber buttons seem to attract dust very easily. They are made from a type of "sticky" rubber and once dirt gets on there the only way to get it off is to scrape it!
When I'm on the subject of the rubber buttons- just wait till you try pressing one in the middle- the 'Menu" button for example- you practically have to use the very tip of your finger nail to activate it- and thats assuming you have thin fingers.
I've complained in another post about the Vol. Up/Down and Channel Up/Down buttons- the "Glow" button positioned between them I'm also having a hard time with as I keep pressing the arrow down key which is right above it instead.
Well its still one of the coolest looking remotes out there but I'm finding more things I dislike about it every day- I'm almost missing my old 659 Harmony.
The positioning and the feel of many of the buttons on the Harmony 520 is very disappointing.
post #95 of 386 Old 11-23-2005, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yup, it's a love hate relationship.

First off, this remote is exactly what I needed. I first picked up the 880, after searching and not finding the 520. Yikes. $250 was simply too much money, and after a day the guilt finally took over and I returned the remote. That was after, of course, I finally tracked down a Walmart that had the 520.

The 520 is incredibly similar in function to the 880, at a fraction of the price. For $250, the 880 needed to impress a whole lot more than what it did. The plastic body and buttons feel cheap - like a generic $20 remote. And the color screen? Oh where do I begin. For $250 I'm expecting iPod color screen quality. The resolution is horrible. Horrible. When I found that I couldn't even customize the icons for Activities, that was the last straw. For $250, I'd better be able to put any pic I want for the 'Play a DVD' activity. Bah. The 520's main backlit screen and backlit buttons, while still an awkward dark blue, are fairly easy to read. The backlight on the 880s buttons were unreadable.

The hate part of the 520 is in the setup and programming software. I'm going to say it right now:

Logitech needs to take the ENTIRE setup and programming interface and dump them in the trash. Right now. Don't even think about it, just do it. The whole thing is that bad.

First off, the software versions are wacky. With the 880 I received ver 4.x something. The website had a PREVIOUS version!? When I bought the 520, I get ver 5 - which finally worked to an almost acceptable degree. The earlier software versions did all the setup and programming entirely within Internet Explorer. Ver5 was a standalone program that connected to the Web. It was simpler and more reliable to use. Logitech: get your sh*t together with the versions. At the very least, you should have the latest on your website.

Programming phase simply needs to be reinvented. It's cumbersome and stupid to the point of disbelief. In fact, once you are finished programming something - it doesn't matter what - you are NEVER taken back to the main menu automatically. C'mon. That's so basic even a ****** like me would know to incorporate that function. Both ver4 and 5 suffer from this.

The updating of the remote - after you adjust and tweak settings - is so hit or miss that at times you will wonder if anything is actually happening. In ver4 of the software it was positively hopeless. The Harmony Remote Software dialog box (of which there is a picture on the web when you are trying to update your remote) would NEVER automatically open up. Just wouldn't do it. I always had to manually download and THAT my friends is a pain in the a$$. Oftentimes I'd have to try again and again. Ver5 of the software seems to improve matters somewhat. Out of 5 update remote attempts last night, only ONE of those actually did it automatically without me fiddling. Logitech, that is bad news.

The programming of buttons and activities and such is also in need of a complete redesign. God, it's unbelievable bad. Logitech, here's a suggestion:

Have a graphic of the remote pictured at the start page. Have dialog boxes with arrows pointing to various parts of the remote (activies button, devices button, etc). At each dialog box, have drop down menus for what you wish to do. You could have menus within menus, but a graphic of the remote should always be present - and clear indicators of what you are doing should be visible. And, of course, you should always be taken back to a home screen once you are finished.

At first I thought these problems were my inability to comprehend this stuff. Then I searched the net and......oh my. Lots and lots and lots of people have been bitching about this software and rightfully so.

Logitech, you have some great remotes. Now take a bit of time and seriously rethink your software...
post #96 of 386 Old 11-27-2005, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Just thought I would add my $.02

I bought this remote about a week ago at Sears (thanks ressom) for less than $80 with tax (I did an instore pickup, which was remarkably slick at sears btw). My setup includes a myHD mdp-130, a zeinth VCR, a Sanyo HDTV, and an odd AMW dvd (home theater in a box).

A little background. I had previously bought and returned the harmony 768 from amazon. The price was right (~$60), but the remote wasn't. I didn't like the 'activity based' concept, and after fighting with it for a week, I realized it just wasn't a good fit. There weren't enough buttons, and those that were there just didn't do what I needed them too. Not to mention the 'web based' software was the biggest pain in the butt I had ever seen. It didn't make any sense, and it took FOREVER to update the remote, even for the smallest change to configuration.

When I started using the 520 & its software, it was like a breath of fresh air. The setup was intuative from the get go, the software was easy to use, and it had the base setup for all my devices (I had to relearn my dvd player's, but that was easy too). In watch PVR device mode, it knew to combine the MDP & TV, and it did a really good job of guessing what buttons to assign, and put into the customized LCD menu.

Once I got to tweaking, I realized the power of the software. It can do what you want it too. Granted, it is a 'wizard' based software for the most part, which normally just gets in the way for tweakers, but once I figured out the menus & where things were, it was a breeze. The speed of updating the remote (it just updates things that have changed), is MUCH MUCH better than the old software.

I give this remote a HUGE thumbs up especially for the price I got it at. I told myself when I bought it that I was just going to test drive and if I liked it i would ask for it for christmas, but I am definatly not taking this one back!
post #97 of 386 Old 11-27-2005, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Has anyone gone from using RadioShack 15-1994/2116 to using the 520?? I am not a power user, never gone JP6, but love those remotes.

I've seen things you wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
post #98 of 386 Old 11-28-2005, 07:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I had two of those RS remotes. Never get time to try JP1 trick on them although that's one of the reasons I bought them. With any Harmony remote, you save the time and agony try to figure out the programming and infra red commands for your devices with additional $$. Reprogramming the entire remote to your like is no-brainer for Harmony.

The main difference is Harmony remotes are activity based and it controls all your device includes power on/off and select inputs at one button click. RS remotes are, like all traditional remotes, device based. You have to individually turn on/off each devices and select correct inputs for each. That's a lot of button clicks for a typical HT with TV, DVD player, Receiver and an HD STB.

There are times where device based remote works better but in general activity based remote is much easier for family members to use your complex HT system.
post #99 of 386 Old 11-28-2005, 06:41 PM

Just a heads up, NCIX has this remote for super cheap, but here is the great thing, Staples just strarted carrying it here in Canada, and they pricematch > Picked up two of them tonight for me and a buddy, under $160 Cdn with taxes in. Don't think I have broke any rules here, but if I have let me know. Anyways AWSOME DEAL, and I have already thanked the wife for the Early X-mas Present >
post #100 of 386 Old 11-30-2005, 10:37 PM

Has anyone tried to program this remote to control an HTPC?

I want a remote with macro functions so that it can do what it needs to do with my TV and amp, but my HTPC is my DVD player, TIVO, music player, etc. I know the remote is capable of it, but am worried that the software might not allow me to tweak it under the hood like I want.
post #101 of 386 Old 12-01-2005, 12:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbig119 View Post

I want a remote with macro functions so that it can do what it needs to do with my TV and amp, but my HTPC is my DVD player, TIVO, music player, etc. I know the remote is capable of it, but am worried that the software might not allow me to tweak it under the hood like I want.

This is similar to my DVD player (it is a AM/FM reciever, DVD player, CD player & audio decoder for my HTPC). You can add 1 'device' to multiple 'activities' (FYI--you can also add multiple devices to 1 activity).

If I understand you correctly, what you would want to do in your situation is setup an activity for each of the things you mentioned ('watch dvd', 'watch PVR' (TIVO), 'listen to music'). In fact after you setup your devices, the initial wizard will walk you through the setup of most of these activites automagically. You can then add the devices you want to each activity.

As far as customization for an activity, there are really 2 parts to it.

The first part is the power-on of an activity. The wizard will ask what needs to be turned on, which input to turn it to, etc.

The second part is that in the activity setup, you customize the remote's hard & soft buttons (it can be a mix of any of the activities devices). Example: when in the PVR activity you can have the channel up/down control your HTPC's PVR channels, and the Volume up/down can control your reciever or TV's volume.

I am not sure what you mean exactly by tinker under the hood/macros. In activity mode, you can have each device perform one command per hard or soft button (example: pressing the mute hard button can issue the mute command for your PVR & your TV). The command performed is limited only to the setup of the device. Most device's commands are in the harmony Database already, but you can overwrite (relearn) commands or add new commands. The default commands are those that are in the database for that particular model already, plus any common commands based on your generic device type.

I have not done any macros (multiple IR codes) for a device command. I am not even sure if it is possible (I haven't needed it). The main place I can see a need for a macro is when you power on activity, but with the activity based options of this remote, that's already taken care of for you (via a wizard). There is a learn raw option under custom in 'learn IR Commands' for devices. I haven't found a view XML or similar export, the 768 I trialed would allow you to tinker directly with the XML, but I don't really think I need that exposed to me (yet).

If you give a specific example of what you want to do ("in watch PVR activity, when I press the volume down button, the lights should dim and the popcorn popper should start"), I may be able to help more. Sorry for the lengthy post, hope it helps.
post #102 of 386 Old 12-01-2005, 12:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

One last add, I have started to program it to control my HTPC. I don't have a generic IR reciever or remote for my PC, but I do have a myHD capture card. The myHD came with an IR reciever and myIRC software (it controls the scheduling & passes commands to the myHD software). AIUI, the scope of this remote & reciever was intended to control the myHD & the myHD only.

HOWEVER, with some help (thanks suntan), I figured out how to disable the IR reciever in myIRC, and have girder listen to the IR receiver. Girder then passes the commands to myIRC. In theory, this would allow me to teach girder to recognize some IR commands (generated by the 520) and in turn do PC based actions (Hibernate, kick off scripts, open applications). I have not proven this out yet, because I need fresh unique IR codes that none of my other devices use. In order to do this I guess I could use an old unused remote to teach the 520 & then gider in turn.
post #103 of 386 Old 12-01-2005, 10:08 AM

Thanks sterno3,

Ok, I think we're talking on the same page. So I am planning on using Girder to intercept signals from whatever remote I choose to use and pass necessary signals to programs and do what I want. What I'm a little worried about though with the Harmony remotes is that you need to use their setup software and go to a database to configure the remote and ir signals that the remote uses. Well my HTPC and girder can use any ir signal(except the ones used to control my TV and amp). So my question, is how do people configure their harmony remotes, customize them essentially to pass their signals to girder, which in turn will do anything necessary on the PC side of things.

I suppose the work around is to tell the harmony you have a device for TIVO, which you really don't have, and then configure those signals that the remote passes to the PC in girder to control necessary software. I can do the same for some DVD player, and its respective remote. But what about more general things, such as interacting with the operating system, or some default buttons to start my dvd player or PVR software, or whatever else I want. I guess I could hijack another device and turn those signals to do what I want, but is there a way to work in the harmony software to put custom labels on the LCD and the like?

I know gider will accept any remote assuming the ir receiver recognizes the signal. The reason why I'm considering a harmony or other high end remote is mainly for macros where I'm able to hit 'TV' which will correspond to watching TV using my TV tuner and select the appropriate inputs on the TV and amp. If I hit 'PCR', or 'HTPC' or something like that, it'll adjust the tv and amp inputs appropriately, then start sending necessary signals to girder. Seems simple, and I might be making this more complicated than it really is, but before I go dropping $80+ bucks on a remote(which may be difficult to return if I don't like it), I want to make sure I'm getting something that will do everything I want it to do now, and be expandable to do more if the need develops in the future.
post #104 of 386 Old 12-01-2005, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks sterno3,

Ok, I think we're talking on the same page. So I am planning on using Girder to intercept signals from whatever remote I choose to use and pass necessary signals to programs and do what I want. What I'm a little worried about though with the Harmony remotes is that you need to use their setup software and go to a database to configure the remote and ir signals that the remote uses. Well my HTPC and girder can use any ir signal(except the ones used to control my TV and amp). So my question, is how do people configure their harmony remotes, customize them essentially to pass their signals to girder, which in turn will do anything necessary on the PC side of things.

What I have done is add a device under the category of PC (or computer...something like that). It asks for a company & model #. Mine is a Compaq SR1200NX, and it found it in its database. Because this model is just a pc it didn't have any actual codes assigned to the commands. It then uses the default commands for that 'type' of a device. Basically it is a blank slate of commands which you can teach IR commands to.
Quote:

I suppose the work around is to tell the harmony you have a device for TIVO, which you really don't have, and then configure those signals that the remote passes to the PC in girder to control necessary software.

Yep, that or use an outdated remote that you don't use. Either way you just have to hope there is no overlap in commands with the existing devices
Quote:

I can do the same for some DVD player, and its respective remote. But what about more general things, such as interacting with the operating system, or some default buttons to start my dvd player or PVR software, or whatever else I want. I guess I could hijack another device and turn those signals to do what I want, but is there a way to work in the harmony software to put custom labels on the LCD and the like?

Yes, when you are setting up the 'blank slate', you are matching up hard & soft buttons to commands from your IR source (or the database). When I refer to soft buttons, I mean the LCD commands which appear in the screen 4 at a time and you can scroll back and forth from screen to screen. The buttons are not actually soft, but the labels are. The way you set up the device is you can create custom commands (ie: start popcorn), and assign them to either the soft button or replace a hard button's command.
Quote:

I know gider will accept any remote assuming the ir receiver recognizes the signal. The reason why I'm considering a harmony or other high end remote is mainly for macros where I'm able to hit 'TV' which will correspond to watching TV using my TV tuner and select the appropriate inputs on the TV and amp. If I hit 'PCR', or 'HTPC' or something like that, it'll adjust the tv and amp inputs appropriately, then start sending necessary signals to girder. Seems simple, and I might be making this more complicated than it really is, but before I go dropping $80+ bucks on a remote(which may be difficult to return if I don't like it), I want to make sure I'm getting something that will do everything I want it to do now, and be expandable to do more if the need develops in the future.

I can totally understand. I went through the same thing (bought & returned the 768), and I truly intended this purchase as a trial period to see if I liked it. Glad to help if you have any more questions.
post #105 of 386 Old 12-01-2005, 01:29 PM

Thanks sterno3,

I'm still torn about whether to get a harmony or URC MX-700. Right now I might go with a harmony since I beleive I can get it from a retailer that has a reasonable return policy. I won't give the MX-700 a fair shot, but I'd rather not be stuck with a $140+ dollar remote that isnt' for me, although it sounds like its a great device.

I'll hit you up with questions if anymore arise, but it sounds like the 520 will be able to control my HTPC fully without too much torment.
post #106 of 386 Old 12-01-2005, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks sterno3,

I'm still torn about whether to get a harmony or URC MX-700. Right now I might go with a harmony since I beleive I can get it from a retailer that has a reasonable return policy. I won't give the MX-700 a fair shot, but I'd rather not be stuck with a $140+ dollar remote that isnt' for me, although it sounds like its a great device.

I'll hit you up with questions if anymore arise, but it sounds like the 520 will be able to control my HTPC fully without too much torment.

Not to mention the 520 is a much sexier remote. Someone in another review site compared the weight & feeling of it in your hand to a throwing knife. I agree, it feels great, no matter which keys you're pressing. The directional key is a little too 'clicky' for my taste, but I still mapped it for all my volume & channel buttons (the hard buttons with the channel/volume lables are just not in a very friendly place). The only other knock on the buttons, is that it doesn't allow you to customize the power button for use in device mode. The power button is used only for powering down in activity mode.

One last note, looking at the harmony 360, if you want more hard buttons, you might want to spend the extra $$. It has a total of 8 additonal buttons (4 below the number pad, & 4 below the FF RW etc keys --t he mute & previous buttons were moved below the volume & channel keys to accomodate these).

Here is a review
post #107 of 386 Old 12-01-2005, 04:14 PM

I bought my 520 couple days ago - just week and a half after I got my first plasma in the Panny 42PX500.

For a summary, I like the remote so far and I got it for a very good price It's slick looking - best style out of all Harmony IMHO. It's ultra flexible and easy to program (vs punching codes on most other universal remotes). My wife likes how it looks too but so far I haven't field-tested it with her, I'll make sure "Watch TV" works perfectly before asking her to test drive it

Just to note, the full text below of my initial impression is actually from an email I wrote to a buddy of mine asking me about my 520:

Quote:

Speaking of the Harmony, I did a first round of trial last night. Had no problem setting up my 4 devices (TV, Shaw STB, DVD player, Audio System). Set up just one activity (Watch TV). Over all, I like it so far... the remote is no "majic", it does "activity" by essentially firing a sequence (macro, I guess) of IR commands to set the right device in the right input, state, etc. And map the remote buttons accordingly ( i.e. channels up/down as STB commands; volume up/down as TV commands, etc.). Guys like us understand this relatively easily which is an advantage when it comes to setting up and/or troubleshooting for ourselves - I can see why some people would have trouble or be confused/frustrated at times by it. In fact, I did have to troubleshoot right away for the Watch TV activity; the remote was firing commands sequence to ensure the TV is at the right input ("Input", "5") but it was doing that too quickly, the TV was still "booting up" as the "Input" command was sent, so the TV only receives the "5" command and changes to channel 5 instead. To correct this, I had to adjust the post-power-on delay setting for the TV; give it enough time to boot up before the remote sends out the change input sequence. I found the screen (on the PC/Internet app) to set that relatively easily but still trying to set the right amount of delay, so some trial-n-error. What I am surprised by this is that the default delay value being not long enough; I mean, these default settings are supposed to be per-brand and per-model specific, so I would expect the default to work out-of-the-box. My only "excuse" for them is that the TV is a very new model and it's virtually impossible for Harmony to field test every device in their database; so they probably just have to relay on numbers that they can get from manufacturers or in some cases make best guess I can see myself enjoying this single remote solution for day-to-day op of the "entertainment system". I love how much customization I can do, not only in the "activity" mode but also in just the plain "device-specific" mode, I can map the buttons to send virtually any command the device can take. There are also (limitless?) soft buttons (4 per page) in addition to those hard buttons on the remote.

post #108 of 386 Old 12-01-2005, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

I have two issues, maybe someone can help me out.

First off, when I press buttons on the remote, the reaction time is slow, how do I speed it up so that when I press the buttons the change is instant (its annoying when I am flipping through channels on the TV).
Second, my remote is acting up. For some reason, my Activities aren't working well. For instance, my Watch TV activity is set to turn the TV on to Tuner, and make sure all other devices are off. Its not doing this, one time, it turned on my 360 with the TV. Another time, it turned on my pre amp. Other activities are doing this also, can't figure out the issue.
Other than that, the remote is great, I am still surprised that it allows me to control my Roku Soundbridge M2000, thats cool to me.
post #109 of 386 Old 12-01-2005, 09:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

My Harmony 360 remote has locked up twice so far all while I was watching TV but didn't totch the remote at all. I had to take the battery out to reset it. I had a feeling the firmware on these things are still too new. This one is probably going back to the store. On the positive side, the extra buttons on the Harmony 360 over 520 really comes handy for a DVR setup. For that reason, I probably won't swap it for a 520 even though it is cheaper.
post #110 of 386 Old 12-01-2005, 09:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick316 View Post

I have two issues, maybe someone can help me out.

First off, when I press buttons on the remote, the reaction time is slow, how do I speed it up so that when I press the buttons the change is instant (its annoying when I am flipping through channels on the TV).
Second, my remote is acting up. For some reason, my Activities aren't working well. For instance, my Watch TV activity is set to turn the TV on to Tuner, and make sure all other devices are off. Its not doing this, one time, it turned on my 360 with the TV. Another time, it turned on my pre amp. Other activities are doing this also, can't figure out the issue.
Other than that, the remote is great, I am still surprised that it allows me to control my Roku Soundbridge M2000, thats cool to me.

Since most of these devices probably don't have discret power on/off IR codes, the remote has to use the single power toggle IR code to turn on or off the devices and rememeber the power status of each device in control. If the remote thinks your device is on but it is really off, you will have a problem. You need make sure the status of each device is in sync with remote and only use Harmony remote to operate them.
post #111 of 386 Old 12-01-2005, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member

I fixed it, I just redid the Activities again (deleted the current ones, and re ran the setup for each). They worked fine, just for some reason, it acted up today, I don't understand why.
Also got the speed setting correct, the delay was set too long.
So I guess now, I am satisfied with this remote
post #112 of 386 Old 12-05-2005, 02:13 PM

Liked: 14
I've read through this and other threads, but I still have questions. Does this remote (and the XBOX 360 version) support macros like its more expensive bretheren? So for instance, I could push "Listen to Music" or something, and have it turn on my tv, turn on my receiver to the correct input, and go to the "My Music" part of Media Center Edition 2005 (through the use of the Media Center remote ir receiver)? Also, say you teach it a macro like the one I mentioned, and turning on the tv is in the macro, but you are already watching tv. Does it recognize that the tv is already on and skip that step?
post #113 of 386 Old 12-05-2005, 09:44 PM

Im having some issues with my Harmony 520. In terms of function it controls everything perfectly, but although the backlight turns off appropriately the LCD never seems to. And because of that the tilt function to turn on the backlight never works either.

Anyone else have this problem? How long is the LCD supposed to stay on before turning off?
post #114 of 386 Old 12-05-2005, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkee Boy View Post

I've read through this and other threads, but I still have questions. Does this remote (and the XBOX 360 version) support macros like its more expensive bretheren? So for instance, I could push "Listen to Music" or something, and have it turn on my tv, turn on my receiver to the correct input, and go to the "My Music" part of Media Center Edition 2005 (through the use of the Media Center remote ir receiver)? Also, say you teach it a macro like the one I mentioned, and turning on the tv is in the macro, but you are already watching tv. Does it recognize that the tv is already on and skip that step?

Only if you have turned on the TV using the remote and that action was included in another Macro, "Watch TV" for example. If you turn on the TV manually than the remote has no way to know that it was on.
post #115 of 386 Old 12-06-2005, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisARN View Post

Only if you have turned on the TV using the remote and that action was included in another Macro, "Watch TV" for example. If you turn on the TV manually than the remote has no way to know that it was on.

Basically what this message is saying is, if you start out with all of your components off, and use ONLY your remote to turn things on and off, then the remote knows the status of each of your components and acts accordingly. ie it does remember that you already used the remote to turn on the TV.

As for your super macro question, you can set up a macro to do anything you want, including all of the steps you mentioned in your post.

So my LCD does eventually turn off, but it appears that it takes a LONG time. I checked it for about 30 minutes I think without it turning off, but when I woke up this morning it was off.

Another question... How do you get rid of the LCD buttons like 'A, B, C' for the PVR.
post #116 of 386 Old 12-06-2005, 10:10 AM

I am wondering whether you can customize the activities to match your system. For example, in my living room, I have both a regular TV and an X-1 projector. We usually watch the regular TV, but like to use the projector for DVDs at night. Can you program separate activities to do:

Watch a video from VCR on regular TV
Watch a DVD on regular TV
Watch TV on regular TV
Watch DVD on projector
Watch a video from VCR on projector
Watch TV on projector

Also, the screen for my projector is a manual pull-down screen. Can I program the 520 to activate my wife to pull down the screen:-)
post #117 of 386 Old 12-06-2005, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusher1 View Post

Watch a video from VCR on regular TV
Watch a DVD on regular TV
Watch TV on regular TV
Watch DVD on projector
Watch a video from VCR on projector
Watch TV on projector

Also, the screen for my projector is a manual pull-down screen. Can I program the 520 to activate my wife to pull down the screen:-)

Well, assuming that you have the capability to do all of those already (ie not one of those 'doctor will i be able to play the piano after my operation' 'yes' 'amazing! I never could before' type of things) then:

Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

For the last thing, probably with the next firmware upgrade...(for your wife, not the remote).
post #118 of 386 Old 12-06-2005, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight23 View Post

Well, assuming that you have the capability to do all of those already (ie not one of those 'doctor will i be able to play the piano after my operation' 'yes' 'amazing! I never could before' type of things) then:

Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

For the last thing, probably with the next firmware upgrade...(for your wife, not the remote).

Thanks for the response. Yes, I can do all those things now with the help of 5 remotes. I don't mind so much but my wife and daughter can't do most of it so I have to drop everything whenever my 5-year old wants to watch a video. And my wife is always complaining about all the remotes (we have a 6th for the ceiling fan).

So how does it work, do you simply scroll through a list of user-created activities? Is there a limit to the number of activities you can create? Since I have 3 sources of input (cable, VCR, DVD), and two sources of output (TV and projector), I need at least 6 activities for video. Plus probably a few more for listening to music (CD, Tape, Tuner).
post #119 of 386 Old 12-06-2005, 09:42 PM

Quote:

So how does it work, do you simply scroll through a list of user-created activities? Is there a limit to the number of activities you can create? Since I have 3 sources of input (cable, VCR, DVD), and two sources of output (TV and projector), I need at least 6 activities for video. Plus probably a few more for listening to music (CD, Tape, Tuner).

Yes, you create a list of activities. I'm not sure about the 520 (I use a 680), but if there are hard activity buttons on the remote, those can be assigned the most commonly used activities (the ones the family uses the most), and the rest can be accessed through the list.

There is a limit to the number of activities you can have, but it's absurdly high. the Harmony website's comparison chart lists the max number of devices and activities each model can have, but they're all around 12-15 devices and 255 activities.
post #120 of 386 Old 12-09-2005, 03:17 PM

Based on the responses I received to my questions, it sounds like the Harmony 520 will work well for my situation. I picked one up at Walmart today, but since it will be a Christmas present for my wife, I won't be able to use it until Christmas.

Thanks again, flight123 and Cax6ton.
Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page