Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 386 Old 01-09-2006, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim12345 View Post

If I understand your question it's just a matter of the order you put them under the Custom Button Label. For example I have 8 custom buttons. The first four I have under the Custom Button Label appear on the first page of (the 4) soft keys on the remote and the last four appear on the 2nd page.

Thanks for the reply. I figured as much, but when I'm in that section it shows only 4 active buttons (in the configurator), but the remote has 10 (in actual use). I found this strange. Am I in the wrong screen? I even hit the "Show More Buttons" button and it loads the exact same screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 386 Old 01-09-2006, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoopid37 View Post

Thanks for the reply. I figured as much, but when I'm in that section it shows only 4 active buttons (in the configurator), but the remote has 10 (in actual use). I found this strange. Am I in the wrong screen? I even hit the "Show More Buttons" button and it loads the exact same screen.

Using the website (vs the PC client) it's: Under Activities -> click on 'Customize' for the device you want to control -> Change the behaviour of buttons -> scroll to the bottom and order them under Custom Button Label
post #183 of 386 Old 01-09-2006, 10:56 AM

Quote:

Using the website (vs the PC client) it's: Under Activities -> click on 'Customize' for the device you want to control -> Change the behaviour of buttons -> scroll to the bottom and order them under Custom Button Label

Yep, that is the same screen as the PC client. It's stange, it only show 4 buttons! 'C', 'List', 'Live', 'Aspect' - but the remote has several more including 'PgUp', 'PgDn', 'A', 'B', the four mentioned above and a few more. Is the solution to manually 're-add' the buttons and hope I don't forget any?

Can I also assume the vertical list will be reflected in teh remote as follows?

1 2
3 4

5 6
7 8

etc...
post #184 of 386 Old 01-09-2006, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoopid37 View Post

Yep, that is the same screen as the PC client. It's stange, it only show 4 buttons! 'C', 'List', 'Live', 'Aspect' - but the remote has several more including 'PgUp', 'PgDn', 'A', 'B', the four mentioned above and a few more. Is the solution to manually 're-add' the buttons and hope I don't forget any?

Can I also assume the vertical list will be reflected in teh remote as follows?

1 2
3 4

5 6
7 8

etc...

Yes & yes. For my particular device (Motorola DCT 6412 III DVR from Comcast) I have:
1. My DVR
2. Live
3. Page Up
4. Page Down
5. Day Plus
6. Day Minus
7. Chg Tuners
8. Favorite

and it shows
page 1
My DVR | Live
Page Up | Page Down

page 2
Day Plus | Day Minus
Chg Tuners | Favorite
post #185 of 386 Old 01-09-2006, 11:55 AM

Quote:

Yes & yes. For my particular device (Motorola DCT 6412 III DVR from Comcast) I have:
1. My DVR
2. Live
3. Page Up
4. Page Down
5. Day Plus
6. Day Minus
7. Chg Tuners
8. Favorite

and it shows
page 1
My DVR | Live
Page Up | Page Down

page 2
Day Plus | Day Minus
Chg Tuners | Favorite

Thanks for the help. I found it strange that the keys didn't match the remote, but I have changed it on-line and will update my remote tonight. I will post the results, favorable or otherwise.

I will probably e-mail support (under 'provide feedback') and let them know I would prefer an interface like the 'Re-Order Activities' function. Simpler and less confusing, IMHO.
post #186 of 386 Old 01-09-2006, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgibbs View Post

......It also did not retain programming through a battery change as my 680 does--not a big deal as it merely required a web re-update.I gather that it is supposed to have a tilt sensor. Once I had it light up when I picked it up, but I couldn't repeat it. This will be a nice feature if they can get it to work more reliably.

Main advantage is a very clean design, although they do seem to have gone for looks over function with the channel and volume buttons--I prefer the more-prominent rocker buttons of my 680.

My technophobic brother-in-law seems very pleased with it. It does what he wants it to do and doesn't require him to keep track of what component is hooked to what input of what.

As for me, I'll keep my 680; It doesn't do anything I need that the 520 won't, but I like the extra buttons.

Thanks for the quick review on the 520. Nice to hear it stacks up to the 680 pretty well in terms of functionality

One thing to correct you though regarding the tilt sensor. I've been using the 520 for over a month now and have figured that it times out after some period and the LCD screen blanks out. It is when the remote gets into that state then the tilt and auto-lightup will activate. I just don't know how long the "idle" time-out is, but it is behaving consistently after every overnight idle.

Now I have a question regarding 520 requiring re-updating at batteries change. Obviously I haven't had it long enough yet to change batteries, but are you saying I must re-update it when I change batteries? Doesn't matter how fast I swap out and in the batteries???
post #187 of 386 Old 01-10-2006, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nise View Post

Anyone know if its possible to program the remote to keep a certain device on when the power button on the harmony is pressed to turn off all the devices?

what i would actually like is to leave some devices on all the time but when i press the "Off" button, it would send the Off signal to all devices (whether used in the activity or not).
my predicament is when i would like to watch TV but while listening to CDs. either device will be off in their respective "activity".
post #188 of 386 Old 01-10-2006, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memnoch2 View Post

what i would actually like is to leave some devices on all the time but when i press the "Off" button, it would send the Off signal to all devices (whether used in the activity or not).
my predicament is when i would like to watch TV but while listening to CDs. either device will be off in their respective "activity".

Good question. I have a similar problem, which may have a similar answer. When I switch 'Activities' I want to keep some devices on. For example, I have a bulb driven TV that requires warm up and cool down times. I would rather turn it on once and leave it on. So if was using the 'Watch TV' activity and switched to the 'Listen to Music' activity which uses all the same equipment other than the TV, it will turn the TV off. I would rather it stayed on until I switched it off manually, or shut everything down. The set up will either turn it on or turn everything that is not in use off. Is there a setting like "Leave everything else the way it was" option?

Thanks.
post #189 of 386 Old 01-10-2006, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Change "Watch TV" and "Listen to CD" activities to "Leave unused devices on"...under "customize" then "options"
post #190 of 386 Old 01-10-2006, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by czzer View Post

Change "Watch TV" and "Listen to CD" activities to "Leave unused devices on"...under "customize" then "options"

Found it! Must have over looked it, thank you.
post #191 of 386 Old 01-11-2006, 05:11 AM

A quick question.

What happens in the LCD-panal when I hit the "Watch TV" Button? Will it change to controls related to the TV? And - if so - is it the same with other activities.

Or do I put controls in the panel myself? Maybe both?

I've tried to get hold of a manual, but can't find it.

I've ordered my Harmony 525 (Danish name for 520) for 55$ - the price in Denmark guys!

Since I'm not english speaking please excuse my english.

Zappy
Denmark
post #192 of 386 Old 01-11-2006, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

The Harmony will set up a default configuration for all buttons, including the LCD buttons, based on what it thinks should go where. However, you can change it and put any command you want on any button you want for every activity.
post #193 of 386 Old 01-11-2006, 05:21 AM

Quote:

The Harmony will set up a default configuration for all buttons, including the LCD buttons, based on what it thinks should go where. However, you can change it and put any command you want on any button you want for every activity.

Wooa your fast! Great.

I use Teletext/TextTV. Can I program a panel to go to a specific page on one button? I use the pages 303, 304, 412 and 110 alot.

This is a killer forum!

Zappy
Denmark
post #194 of 386 Old 01-11-2006, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

It depends how you actually select the page, but probably not. You could possibly do it with an 880/5 or the 6xx series by using the Favourite channels feature, but I wouldn't know for sure.
post #195 of 386 Old 01-11-2006, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_TSX_GP View Post

Now I have a question regarding 520 requiring re-updating at batteries change. Obviously I haven't had it long enough yet to change batteries, but are you saying I must re-update it when I change batteries? Doesn't matter how fast I swap out and in the batteries???

I'm not absolutely certain. I wasn't lightning fast with the change (I took out the old batteries then fumbled a bit getting the new ones out of the wrapper). But I've never had the 680 lose its memory on a change.
post #196 of 386 Old 01-12-2006, 11:53 AM

Quote:

1. My DVR
2. Live
3. Page Up
4. Page Down
5. Day Plus
6. Day Minus
7. Chg Tuners
8. Favorite

and it shows
page 1
My DVR | Live
Page Up | Page Down

page 2
Day Plus | Day Minus
Chg Tuners | Favorite

I have noticed that sometimes when I add new functions to the custom labels button it doesn't add them to the end of the list but tends to group them with like functions. This seems intuitive but it ends up making my page groupings ackward (like having chup on one page and chdwn on another). I have also noticed that since it always wants to put chup next to chdwn that if they are on the same page they end up side by side instead of top and bottom like I would prefer. Do I have some sort of "helper" enabled or have other people seen this as well?
post #197 of 386 Old 01-12-2006, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I bought one yesterday, at Wal-Mart, which is good, since I'm not sure if I'm keeping it. I like the idea; activity-based remote reduces the complexity of operating a component-based home theater. The wife likes the idea too. The 520 is good looking. It feels somewhat cheesy, making cracking noises if its twisted a little. That's not a big deal since it is inexpensive, for such a sophisticated device.

My problems began with the PC software. It crashed a number of times. Sometimes it got stuck in a screen, and I had to log out and log in to get it out of that mode. Communication with the server was smooth, however.

After I got past the crashing, I was able to program 4 activities. I takes a long time to program the remote, and that was a real problem later. "Watch DVD" went smoothly, with a Oppo player, an Infocus projector, and a Pioneer VSX-515 AV receiver. Later I decided to try, "Listen to Radio". The remote wouldn't switch the FM input. I pushed "help" until I got tired of that. It was no help. Then I tried to troubleshoot the problem using the PC software. The interface really sucks. It is very difficult to get it to do anything well, and it could not trouble shoot the problem. I finally stumbled across a learning mode, and got the remote to learn the "FM" select function. Then it started to work, elapsed time, about 2 hours. After the remote learned the FM command, I got a large list of other "recommended commands" to learn. Well, I was not in the mood to pursue it further and x'd out. I am pretty disappointed that the database had wrong codes for a mass-marketed receiver, and didn't even know it. I am further disappointed at how ineffective the troubleshooting section was. Lastly, the cycle time for trying new codes is much worse than an old-fashioned remote, where you don't have to reprogram the entire remote to try out one new command.

One thing I'm pretty fuzzy about, is why there is a PC client, and a web-based client, when you need the internet to do anything with this remote. Also, I solicit opinions about whether the PC client or web-based client is better. I have only used the PC client, but would gladly change if the web-base client is better.
post #198 of 386 Old 01-12-2006, 01:32 PM

I have used both and actually prefer the web based client. I find it faster and easier to deal with. The PC based client seemed to take a long time to refresh and EVERYTHING needs to be refreshed (or so it seems). Not sure why but the web seems faster, but I have not been able to update the remote using the web client. So I make changes, usually at work, via the web then update the remote via the PC when I get home.
post #199 of 386 Old 01-12-2006, 05:31 PM

I just purchased a 520 as an additional remote after being so impressed with my 880 but I have to say that I am so damn annoyed that I ever went near this 520 - the first thing that happened was the old remote software V4.4 wouldnt' work with the 520 and the new 520 software uninstalled the old V4.4 but now the new software won't connect and update either the 520 or the 880!!!!!

I have just installed this new remote client software of three PC's and on each one Iget the same problems - 'timeout whilst attempting to contact harmonymembers.com' ...
All firewalls and virus detection is currently off - no problems at all getting to any other web site, I can even log on to the remote member website and make changes to the 520 or 880 configurations but when the time comes to update the configuration to either remote the whole lot just either times out or cannot upload to the remote - crazy - especially as the old software worked perfect with the 880...

This has already tsken up far too much of my time - 6hrs and counting.

Back to the store with this pile of junk - sorry Logitech I have had it with you and your pathetic software....
post #200 of 386 Old 01-12-2006, 05:32 PM

Take my advice STAY AWAY FROM THIS REMOTE AND THE LATEST SOFTWARE
post #201 of 386 Old 01-13-2006, 01:11 AM

I have - I quess - a simple question.

I've just recieved my 520 and is started working with it. So far I have no pros or cons against it. I've had it for only a few hours. Allthough I do agree with the bad reviews of the software. Slow and crashing.

The question. The activities work fine. But how do I exit an activity? It seems to me that once I've pressed the activity I stay there. I assumed there was some sort of exit?

What I would like to do is this: Execute an activity and then have other activities. A sort of sub-activity.

Am I totally lost in this activityscene?

Great threat btw.

Zappy
Denmark
post #202 of 386 Old 01-13-2006, 02:25 AM
Advanced Member

You can't have sub-activities.

To exit an activity, either press "off" to turn everything off, or press another activity button to start another activity.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? It sounds like you haven't quite got your head around the activity concept yet(not uncommon), but once you do, you'll probably find you won't need "sub-activities" etc.
post #203 of 386 Old 01-13-2006, 04:38 AM

Quote:

You can't have sub-activities.

To exit an activity, either press "off" to turn everything off, or press another activity button to start another activity.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? It sounds like you haven't quite got your head around the activity concept yet(not uncommon), but once you do, you'll probably find you won't need "sub-activities" etc.

Hmm. Then I press an activitybuttom the display changes. It doesn't go back to the first screen. I suppose that is the way it should be?

What I'm trying to do is something like this: I use "Watch TV". After the activity is completed I would like to use another activity that turns on Teletext and goes to page xxx.

Zappy
Denmark
post #204 of 386 Old 01-13-2006, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryofMayfair View Post

I just purchased a 520 as an additional remote after being so impressed with my 880 but I have to say that I am so damn annoyed that I ever went near this 520 - the first thing that happened was the old remote software V4.4 wouldnt' work with the 520 and the new 520 software uninstalled the old V4.4 but now the new software won't connect and update either the 520 or the 880!!!!!

I have just installed this new remote client software of three PC's and on each one Iget the same problems - 'timeout whilst attempting to contact harmonymembers.com' ...
All firewalls and virus detection is currently off - no problems at all getting to any other web site, I can even log on to the remote member website and make changes to the 520 or 880 configurations but when the time comes to update the configuration to either remote the whole lot just either times out or cannot upload to the remote - crazy - especially as the old software worked perfect with the 880...

This has already tsken up far too much of my time - 6hrs and counting.

Back to the store with this pile of junk - sorry Logitech I have had it with you and your pathetic software....

I have both an 880 and a 520. Although I installed the new software, which the 520 requires, I still use the website for doing updates and changes. This works great for both remotes, and I'm able to avoid the new software's user interface.

Timeout errors are usually the result of either high traffic levels at Harmony or problems/traffic on some part of the internet between you and Harmony's site. I run McAfee VirusScan and ZoneAlarm Pro and neither cause any problems. Sometimes, we just need to wait a while for things to slow down. In your particular case, the website is so busy that your browser (not the website) is timing out before the website has completed processing of your update. Simply increasing the timeout value in your browser will fix this.

It's unfortunate you had troubles, but neither the remote nor the software are to blame for them.
post #205 of 386 Old 01-13-2006, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappy_Denmark View Post

Hmm. Then I press an activitybuttom the display changes. It doesn't go back to the first screen. I suppose that is the way it should be?

What I'm trying to do is something like this: I use "Watch TV". After the activity is completed I would like to use another activity that turns on Teletext and goes to page xxx.

Simply presss the "ACTIVITY" button and it will then display the list of activities for you to pick from.

You can create a follow-up activity, if it's not something you want to happen everytime you "Watch TV", by creating a new activity with the same devices and simply add the additional steps at the end. I don't know how to do this with the new software, but it's easy to do through the website. Or, give Tech support a call. They can probably walk you through it.
post #206 of 386 Old 01-13-2006, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappy_Denmark View Post

Yes. When you press an activity button the screen(and the rest of the remote) will be configured to control that ACTIVITY(that will probably be a combination of several devices).

For teletext, you could add another activity called "Watch Teletext" which you would set up exactly the same as the normal "Watch TV" activity, with extra commands added to the start of the activity to bring up the teletext page, and commands at the end to turn it off again. This way, switching between "Watch TV" and "Watch teletext" will only turn teletext on or off.
post #207 of 386 Old 01-13-2006, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryofMayfair View Post

Take my advice STAY AWAY FROM THIS REMOTE AND THE LATEST SOFTWARE

This comment is not helpful because it doesn't give any specifics. It is also innacurate. The 520 is a simple, low cost remote that works well for many simple home theatre setup's. I would say it is ideal for the vast majority of consumers who are not interested in heavy configuration.

It may be hard to accept, but many people don't agonize over button placement and tactile feel etc. They simply want an easy way for thier family to be able to switch from say watching TV to watching a movie.http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post6911349
post #208 of 386 Old 01-13-2006, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
AngryofMayfair did post his experience with the 520, which was very frustrating, if you read the post. The second post contained the STAY AWAY... bit. Taken out-of-context, it does not sound too constructive. Angry should have edited his first post to include this "take away" line.

I'll keep trying with mine, and maybe I won't have to echo Angry.
post #209 of 386 Old 01-13-2006, 12:32 PM

Have you tried the webi software yet, gsmollin? It really is much better to use. Once I got my 880 programmed the way I wanted it, I was happy I went through it. I will say, however, that I write software for living, so I'm very used to this type of activity. I'm sure it's a bit rougher for others.
post #210 of 386 Old 01-15-2006, 03:19 PM

I'm having problems with the web interface.

When I add or adjust a bottom in the panel in one activity it copies itself to other activities!

I'm trying to add 2 bottoms in the "Watch TV" activity for adjusting my TV-screen (16:9 / 4:3 / cinema...) and then these commands are suddenly in the "Watch DVD" activity?

Now I'm a controlfreak and I want the command in certain positions in the LCD-panel and this is driving me nuts!

Anybody with some advice? (please hurry - I'm starting to loose my hair)
Also can I have empty spots in the panel? I like to categorize

Zappy
Denmark
Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page