1Likes

post #31 of 236 Old 03-12-2006, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieTheater View Post

In the "how do you change channels with your factory remote" screen it gives you four choices:
1, two buttons (02)
2, three buttons (002)
3, one button plus enter (2 enter)
4, one or more buttons (2, 22, 1234)

Option 2 was set by default. When I made the changes you suggested I chose option 4. It now works just like the factory remote, but I'm not sure the extra step I took was nessassary.

Kevin

Where can you get to this step? I have the interkey delay set to 0 ms for my cable box, but when I try to push the logo buttons for the favorites that I set up, the remote takes forever to punch in the 3 digit channel numbers and access the channel. I have looked everywhere for this option, but can't find it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 236 Old 03-12-2006, 12:34 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by orijonl View Post

Where can you get to this step? I have the interkey delay set to 0 ms for my cable box, but when I try to push the logo buttons for the favorites that I set up, the remote takes forever to punch in the 3 digit channel numbers and access the channel. I have looked everywhere for this option, but can't find it.

Go to troubleshoot under your cable box, select show me more problems, then select changing channels using the number buttons on the remote doesn't work correctly.
post #33 of 236 Old 03-12-2006, 07:55 PM

Thanks,

I found it, but I couldn't get it to speed up with either option 3 or 4. I have a Motorola DCT 6200. I have decided to leave it on option 4, but the time it takes for the remote to enter 3 digit channel numbers from the favorites list is still too long. Has anyone else had problems with this?

Also, has anyone had success using Firefox as the browser for Harmony's site?
post #34 of 236 Old 03-12-2006, 08:27 PM

First, the browser question: I use Opera. and that is absolutely incompatible with the Harmony site. I have to use IE exclusively. Confusingly, Opera looks as though it's working, but the key symptom is that you never get a successful update. I haven't had the energy to try Firefox. Sadly, this AVSforum site is also one of the sites that refuses to agree that I fullyy enabled cookies in Opera for it -- so I have the same inconvenience in using this very site. I'm not happy about either case.

Second on timings: I use the following times:
Motorola (DCT-6200)
Power On Delay: 1000 ms -- Inter-key Delay: 0 ms -- Inter-Device Delay: 500 ms

This seemed OK to me.

But, in case this helps you: I have since assigned control of the 6200 to my series 2 TiVo. It uses 2 infrared transmitters to communicate the channel changes. When I change channel with the TiVo using its' TV Guide, etc. (that then changes the Motorola by IR control)... that's nearly instantaneous.
post #35 of 236 Old 03-12-2006, 09:39 PM

A last thought: If you find no way around the IE problem... I put shortcuts on my desktop for each important site that require IE. When I click on the shortcut, it opens IE & takes me directly to the named page.

For Harmony, I cloned a standard Logitec-Harmony shortcut icon [that looks like ((-)) ]. Looking at the shortcut's Properties>>ShortCut tab, I then changed the target to be:

"C:\\Program Files\\Internet Explorer\\iexplore.exe" hxxp://members.harmonyremote.com/EasyZapper/New/Main.asp?WebProcessAction=Start&ClassId=HarmonyProcess%2EProcLogin&RelativePath=ProcLogin%2F&ReturnUrl=%2E%2E%2FUserHome%2Easp&AccountType=Normal&Error=LoginRequ

Replace "hxxp" to be "http", in the address, above. This may work exactly as is for you, if you have a standard installation of the Microsoft software. In quotes needs to be the full address of IE on your machine [from dragging & dropping the IE program icon into the "run" dialog bar, and then copying that address]. The rest of the target outside the quotes is the full address & parameters for the Harmony logon page.

When you click on this shortcut on the desktop, you go straight to Harmony's logon page in IE, rather than your default browser. This trick works for any browser and site combination you'd like.
post #36 of 236 Old 03-13-2006, 05:46 AM

Thanks Jbarrie,

I may have to try to get Logitech to set up a custom update for me on this one. I can't find any place to adjust the timing for the Favorites buttons. It has to be the interkey delay, because a 1 digit channel is entered instantaneously, but there is a pause (it seems to be a full second) between the entering of each number in a 2 or 3 digit channel number.

The browser thing is really no big deal, I just have gotten so used to Firefox that I don't like to use IE anymore. I went ahead and made IE the default browser so it will catch the links from the Harmony software, but i have removed the IE icon from my desktop and quicklaunch bar, so that the family will still use Firefox when they are browsing.
post #37 of 236 Old 03-14-2006, 07:55 PM

Quote:

Also, has anyone had success using Firefox as the browser for Harmony's site?

I use Firefox and it works 80% for me. Some of the things I need to do in IE I login to the site on another machine where I have IE running, make my changes and then download to the remote from the machine that has Ff running on it. I know specifically that adding devices is flakey with Firefox. That's one of the areas I have issues.
post #38 of 236 Old 03-19-2006, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for posting the sticky. I was having problems with slow response times and one device not initially turning on. After printing out some of the pertinent information in the sticky, I was able to make the needed corrections on the website profile and update the 880. Now the remote is working like a charm.
post #39 of 236 Old 03-26-2006, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

Thanks for posting the sticky. I was having problems with slow response times and one device not initially turning on. After printing out some of the pertinent information in the sticky, I was able to make the needed corrections on the website profile and update the 880. Now the remote is working like a charm.

I just adjusted my new 880 based on this thread. It's running like a watch now

I really like this remote.
post #40 of 236 Old 03-27-2006, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I have my 880 configured so that I just push the cbs, abc, etc. logo and the remote switches the specified channel. Unfortunately, it seems as though it takes forever for the remote to imput the numbers. What can I do to make this work faster? I'm unsure which adjustment above controls this function?

Panasonic 60VT60
Sony PS3 Fat Boy
Marantz NR1504 AVR
Velodyne CHT Speakers
post #41 of 236 Old 03-29-2006, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post

I have my 880 configured so that I just push the cbs, abc, etc. logo and the remote switches the specified channel. Unfortunately, it seems as though it takes forever for the remote to imput the numbers. What can I do to make this work faster? I'm unsure which adjustment above controls this function?

I reduced my interkey time to 100 - 200 ns for my Sat Box (Dish 811) and everything is working now.
post #42 of 236 Old 04-05-2006, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

I want one hard button on the remote to be active in all activities but also when no activities are selected. Its a light dimmer.

Having the same button in all activities is ok but when everything is off and the Choose an Activity screen is there then the button is inactive. Sometimes it is active at this point but not consistantly. I have tried both 'Leave this device on all the time' and 'this device has no power switch' <-not the exact wording.

Bill
post #43 of 236 Old 04-05-2006, 05:44 PM

AH HA! My suspicions have been confirmed, or at least had more evidence supplied to support them further. I too was having a delay problem with the SA8300HD, but it was almost "random" in that some of the buttons were immediate and some of the buttons had a significant delay. And by delay I mean the light on the remote (I have a Harmony 676) stayed on for a while then the command would finally take. Unfortunately this primarily affected my number keys. What was really driving me nuts was that almost all of the LCD softkey commands were immediate, and even some of the hard keys were immediate (mostly the play / pause / etc type buttons). So messing with the interkey delay didn't do anything since that green light staying on was my problem really. So I adjusted the command repeat down to 0, but that didn't help. No real surprise there as the green light wasn't staying on for *all* buttons.

Then finally I went to my "nah, this shouldn't make a difference but you never know" plan. A little backstory first; I had a 8000HD that died and just swapped for a 8300HD. The commands all worked and were very quick with the 8000HD and since they use the same remote everything was working fine with the 8300HD when I tried. But I felt I should sync everything up just for the heck of it. So when I went to add the 8300HD I noticed I could add it as a Channel Decoder or Video Recorder. I initially set it up through the Video Recorder path as that has "PVR" listed in the sample devices. Everything worked, but some of the keys had that long send. So ultimately I installed it starting down the Channel Decoder path and now *all* keys are fast! Both modes control the box just fine, but the Channel Decoder instance doesn't seem to have the long send problem.

Way back when I had to add some custom commands for other devices I have I remember reading on the Harmony site that you should use the on-site commands when possible as they are optimized for the remote. The learned commands apparently aren't as compressible / normalizable / optimizable / etc. Now I'm wondering if there's some degree of "corruption" in the Video Recorder instance of the 8300 that has non-compressed commands (or something along those lines) for certain keys (#s, OK/Select, Info, in my case).

One last note, the Channel Decoder path ends up with "Scientific Atlanta PVR (SA8300HD)" whereas the Video Recorder path gives you "Scientific Atlanta PVR (Explorer 8300HD)". I typed "8300HD" into the box both times when it asked me to describe my equipment.
post #44 of 236 Old 04-05-2006, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post

AH HA! My suspicions have been confirmed, or at least had more evidence supplied to support them further. I too was having a delay problem with the SA8300HD, but it was almost "random" in that some of the buttons were immediate and some of the buttons had a significant delay. And by delay I mean the light on the remote (I have a Harmony 676) stayed on for a while then the command would finally take. Unfortunately this primarily affected my number keys. What was really driving me nuts was that almost all of the LCD softkey commands were immediate, and even some of the hard keys were immediate (mostly the play / pause / etc type buttons). So messing with the interkey delay didn't do anything since that green light staying on was my problem really. So I adjusted the command repeat down to 0, but that didn't help. No real surprise there as the green light wasn't staying on for *all* buttons.

Then finally I went to my "nah, this shouldn't make a difference but you never know" plan. A little backstory first; I had a 8000HD that died and just swapped for a 8300HD. The commands all worked and were very quick with the 8000HD and since they use the same remote everything was working fine with the 8300HD when I tried. But I felt I should sync everything up just for the heck of it. So when I went to add the 8300HD I noticed I could add it as a Channel Decoder or Video Recorder. I initially set it up through the Video Recorder path as that has "PVR" listed in the sample devices. Everything worked, but some of the keys had that long send. So ultimately I installed it starting down the Channel Decoder path and now *all* keys are fast! Both modes control the box just fine, but the Channel Decoder instance doesn't seem to have the long send problem.

Way back when I had to add some custom commands for other devices I have I remember reading on the Harmony site that you should use the on-site commands when possible as they are optimized for the remote. The learned commands apparently aren't as compressible / normalizable / optimizable / etc. Now I'm wondering if there's some degree of "corruption" in the Video Recorder instance of the 8300 that has non-compressed commands (or something along those lines) for certain keys (#s, OK/Select, Info, in my case).

One last note, the Channel Decoder path ends up with "Scientific Atlanta PVR (SA8300HD)" whereas the Video Recorder path gives you "Scientific Atlanta PVR (Explorer 8300HD)". I typed "8300HD" into the box both times when it asked me to describe my equipment.

This is very interesting because sometimes I have these long send problems with my 676 and my Motorola 6412 III, but my problems are with the fast forward, rewind, and play buttons. Every now and then, I'll be FFing or Rew.ing and when I hit play it will take 3-5 seconds before it actually plays or if I hit FF 3 or 4 times, only the first one will take initially and then the others will kick in after a noticable delay. Thanks for the tip, I'll try it out.
post #45 of 236 Old 04-09-2006, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

OK,,,,880,,,

What do I have to do to make the Favorite Channels with Logos react faster?

I have SA Explorer 3250 HD.

When I select individual channel #s or channel + or - it's fast but FAV. Channels is way,,,,way slow.

Please help me...

HH
post #46 of 236 Old 04-10-2006, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerHarley View Post

OK,,,,880,,,

What do I have to do to make the Favorite Channels with Logos react faster?

I have SA Explorer 3250 HD.

When I select individual channel #s or channel + or - it's fast but FAV. Channels is way,,,,way slow.

Please help me...

HH

You need to reduce the interkey time. Its in the options for the device you want to control.
post #47 of 236 Old 04-10-2006, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallu2u View Post

You need to reduce the interkey time. Its in the options for the device you want to control.

This will not affect the delay for the Harmony Favorites (using the logos). It only affects the delay used when you dial in a channel number manually. I have this same problem and have not been able to find a way to adjust the interkey delay for the Harmony Favorites.
post #48 of 236 Old 04-10-2006, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallu2u View Post

I did that with no result in speed.

But this did work:

I found (From another poster up above) that this was the fix:

In the "How do you change channels with your factory remote" screen it gives you four choices:
1, two buttons (02)
2, three buttons (002)

Option 2 was set by default. ( My box uses three buttons (542) to select a channel) I chose option 4. I now have speed.?.?.?.?.?

HH
post #49 of 236 Old 04-10-2006, 07:07 AM

Quote:

I did that with no result in speed.

But this did work:

I found (From another poster up above) that this was the fix:

In the "How do you change channels with your factory remote" screen it gives you four choices:
1, two buttons (02)
2, three buttons (002)

Option 2 was set by default. ( My box uses three buttons (542) to select a channel) I chose option 4. I now have speed.?.?.?.?.?

HH

So this is working for you now? I found that screen as well, but I can't remember how I set it. My delay is extremly long, judging from the choices available, I might would have chosen option 2. I'll try option 4 and see what happens.
post #50 of 236 Old 04-10-2006, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btiltman View Post

I want one hard button on the remote to be active in all activities but also when no activities are selected. Its a light dimmer.

Having the same button in all activities is ok but when everything is off and the Choose an Activity screen is there then the button is inactive. Sometimes it is active at this point but not consistantly. I have tried both 'Leave this device on all the time' and 'this device has no power switch' <-not the exact wording.

Bill

My guess is that the hard button does not work unless you were previously in an activity that used it. After all, that is where you assign hard buttons - they must be tied to Device Mode or activities.

I just added a "Control Lights" generic activity with full soft key functionality for the dimmer (5 functions) and added "Lights Up" and "Lights Down" soft buttons in all my other activities. Works quite well.
post #51 of 236 Old 04-12-2006, 01:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So this is working for you now? I found that screen as well, but I can't remember how I set it. My delay is extremly long, judging from the choices available, I might would have chosen option 2. I'll try option 4 and see what happens.

Yes VERY FAST,,,,

HH
post #52 of 236 Old 04-13-2006, 06:32 AM

Quote:

Yes VERY FAST,,,,

HH

What type of cable box do you have? I finally got a chance to go in and check my settings, and it is set to option 4. I am using a Moto DCT 6200.
post #53 of 236 Old 04-14-2006, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What type of cable box do you have? I finally got a chance to go in and check my settings, and it is set to option 4. I am using a Moto DCT 6200.

SA 3250 HD

It makes you punch in three #s per channel (003 or 462 etc.)

Before the 880 was on option 2 now on 4.

HH
post #54 of 236 Old 04-14-2006, 08:59 AM

Quote:

orijonl - if yu figure out the right settings for the 6200, please post them. I'll do likewise.
post #55 of 236 Old 04-20-2006, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooberlx View Post

My TV (Toshiba 50H13) has a terribly slow and unreliable power-on delay (sometimes it's quicker than others). I've had to increase it to 3000ms.

I tried running the power-on delay for my Toshiba CW34XC2 at 6000 ms and it's still unreliable.

To get from Component 2 to Component 1, I have to press the TV/Video button 5 times. Using the Harmony Xbox 360 remote, this command X 5 works fine (as part of the "Play a DVD" macro) if the TV is already on.

If the TV needs to be turned on however, the TV seems particularly insensitive to these commands for quite some time, and I always end up on the wrong input. The (less than ideal) way around it (without increasing the power-on delay to something even more ridiculous) for me so far is simply to reprogram the "*" key to TV/Video, and I can manually select the right video input if necessary.

I would loathe having to use a 16000 ms power-on delay...

P.S. It helps having the Power-on toggle for the TV mapped to a button too. If the remote is a little off kilter, sometimes my TV simply doesn't see it.
post #56 of 236 Old 05-17-2006, 12:12 PM

Anyone have any numbers/advice for Xbox 360 or for Westinghouse LVM-42w2? I'm having trouble with an activity not turning on the TV consistenly. and it seems like the process takes longer than it should for a trivial activity that basically consists of "turn on tv , turn on xbox, change input to YPBPR1" and nothing more.

PS: I'm also having some more advanced macro problems I which listed in the "Harmony 880 Official Thread".
post #57 of 236 Old 05-17-2006, 03:34 PM

Check out remotecentral.com. Alot of good setup info there. They have a harmony forum.
post #58 of 236 Old 05-17-2006, 05:14 PM
Xab

I am running a Media Center PC for my TV needs, and my 880 is slow, with the Microsoft remote I can just push the navigation buttons and have it respond instantly.

I tried the info in this thread, I even made all the delays 0ms, and it still sends commands slowly. Anyone know if theres anything specific I should do for a Media Center PC?
post #59 of 236 Old 06-05-2006, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xab View Post

I am running a Media Center PC for my TV needs, and my 880 is slow, with the Microsoft remote I can just push the navigation buttons and have it respond instantly.

I tried the info in this thread, I even made all the delays 0ms, and it still sends commands slowly. Anyone know if theres anything specific I should do for a Media Center PC?

I am having the EXACT SAME issue. In a little more detail, the Media Center PC responds to only 1 command of a button press (ie Direction Up) from the 880, but will not respond to any subsequent button presses of the same button (direction Up), but will respond (with some delay) to a DIFFERENT button press (ie Direction Down). This makes the 880 worthless when trying to navigate through the MCE Guide, Recorded TV, Volume, etc.

I have tinkered with every possible key delay setting and key repeat settings possible. Has anyone out been able to get the 880 to respond quickly (or respond to multiple button presses) with a Media Center PC?
post #60 of 236 Old 06-22-2006, 05:37 PM

** EDIT: This solution is for getting the harmony 880 to mimic a Microsoft MCE remote **

I got this working through the excellent logitech second level support. Here's what to do:

- Add a new device, select "computer" as the device category
- Select Media Center PC
- Select Microsoft
- Enter model number as "M9000007"
- Check the box and click next
- Check "no - i do not have a remote" click next
- Select "Microsoft A9O-00007" (recommended)

Add this device to your activity.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page