post #121 of 236 Old 10-28-2007, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shendley View Post

I've got a question about how to get the Harmony to control the skip to tick/end/beginning functions on the directv hddvr, the HR20. I'm posting my question here because I suspect it may be an issue which involves delay settings. Anyway, all of these skip to functions involve pressing a key (Fast Forward and Rewind for Skip to Tick, 6 sec back for Skip to Beginning and 30 second advance for skip to end) and holding it for 3 seconds. But if you do that on the Harmony nothing happens. I was told of a workaround. If you hold the key down for three seconds, let up and then click once more it responds perfectly. So, for those of you who know much more about how this remote works, what do you think could be going on for the skip to functions to work in that peculiar way and what, if anything, do you think could be done to get it to work in the way it does on the original remote?

The hold-for-3-seconds-and-press-again method is the only method I could get to work and the only system that seems to work consistently without seriously messing around with some hex codes. If you want to see some more detailed info/talk on the subject, go to DBS Talk and look in the general and HR20 threads, and you'll get more info than you could possibly use, but the general consensus is that until DirecTV changes how to do skip-to-tick (the most popular suggestion seems to be to do it like TiVo -- pressing "skip forward" or "skip backwards" while fastforwarding will skip-to-tick, and pressing "skip forward" or "skip backwards" while rewinding will go to beginning/end), the only consistent way to get the 890 to do it is the hold and press again method.

FWIW, here are my settings for my HR20-700 and my 890 works just as quickly as the DirecTV remote does:

Repeats: 2
Power On Delay: 300ms
Inter-Key Delay: 0ms
Inter-Device Delay: 0ms

These settings are pretty consistent with what other folks at DBS have reported having success with as well (there are multiple threads over there
on this subject as well).

Good luck.

--Mav

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 236 Old 10-29-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post

- This is what I am using for my 3808ci.

Power On Delay: 1600 ms
Inter-key Delay: 0 ms
Input Delay: 200 ms
Inter-Device Delay: 200 ms

Repeats: 1

Great! Thank you czzer and tokerblue. I love how the repeats settings are buried inside sub menus inside sub menus. One would think that this would be right in the "speed settings" for the device. So far the GUI is just weak.

Update: Just tried it, same problem I must say sometimes i feel like the remote is not getting updated.
post #123 of 236 Old 11-04-2007, 10:18 PM

Weird... I just got the 670 and everything is working perfectly. Even my response times for everything was already set to what they should be... like 0 ms for all my DVR's functions. Everything is just great and it only took me 10 minutes to set up!
post #124 of 236 Old 11-21-2007, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Do I need to update the remote and extender when I change the delay keys or just the remote.

KJ
post #125 of 236 Old 12-10-2007, 10:59 PM

great information more useful. thank you
post #126 of 236 Old 01-02-2008, 11:19 AM

I have a Bell 9242 Satellite receiver, and I want the numbers for the channel favourites to enter faster. I have changed the way it enters numbers to the last option as suggested earlier in the thread, but it doesn't seem to help. Do I also have to reduce the inter key delay? It is currently 200ms.

Also, for my receiver, if I press Volume quicker than it can handle it, it just "queues" them up and executes them after each interkey delay. Is that due to the repeat setting? I want it to ignore keypresses it can't keep up with.

Thanks
post #127 of 236 Old 01-02-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kripes View Post

I have a Bell 9242 Satellite receiver, and I want the numbers for the channel favourites to enter faster. I have changed the way it enters numbers to the last option as suggested earlier in the thread, but it doesn't seem to help. Do I also have to reduce the inter key delay? It is currently 200ms.

Also, for my receiver, if I press Volume quicker than it can handle it, it just "queues" them up and executes them after each interkey delay. Is that due to the repeat setting? I want it to ignore keypresses it can't keep up with.

Thanks

I would suggest reducing the inter key delay to 100, and if that works, even try 0.

As for the volume thing, mine actually does that too, and I'm just going to get used to it. I don't know if messing with the inter key delay would work there too. Try it?
post #128 of 236 Old 01-03-2008, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I just want to get something straight here... I have an AV reciever, Toshiba HD-20 HD-DVD player, and a Sony rear projection LCD model 42a10. The 42a10 takes between 6-10 seconds to actually have the screen warm up and turn on to a visible screen. Sometimes if the HD-DVD player is turned on, and the DVD player is outputting to the TV before the TV can accept the signal... the TV sometimes won't acknowledge that something is being put through to it via HDMI. So... I set the inter-device delay to like seven seconds on the Toshiba HD-A20 so it turns on several seconds later than normal... was this the right thing to do?
post #129 of 236 Old 01-08-2008, 06:36 PM

does this tweak work for the harmony 1000??
post #130 of 236 Old 01-11-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadnyc View Post

does this tweak work for the harmony 1000??

Yes it should, it all runs the same software
post #131 of 236 Old 01-25-2008, 02:04 PM

great post, very usefull for many people including myself!
post #132 of 236 Old 02-04-2008, 09:40 AM

After reading this sticky, I still have a question.

I just upgraded to a Harmony 890 (from an older model, i can't remember). My problem is that the delays I have are very inconsistant. My setup is as followed:

Panasonic TH-42PX60U 42" Flat Panel Plasma TV
Pioneer VSX-1015TX
DISH VIP211 Satellite receiver
Phillips DVD player (not sure the model, but I know it's HDMI and does HD upconversion).
Tivo Series 2

It's strange. When I press the "Guide" button, sometimes it pops right up. Other times, there is a 3-4 second delay. Same with the volume. Sometimes I hold down the volume down button, and it works instantly. Other times, there is such a delay.

Any suggestions? I have gone through and adjusted some of the settings in the delays, but it's hard to pinpoint because it is happening for many different components, and it's very inconsistent.
post #133 of 236 Old 02-08-2008, 06:28 AM

Hello,
Recently got an Harmony remote 720 and first problem is (and I tried searching for an answer without success), i set up a tv with some favorite channels, but it only works properly with single digit channels - if it's 14 for example tv only gets the first '1' and stays waiting for the possible additional number. As it doesn't get it it changes to channel 1 after a second or 2 - like it does with original remote

On decive settings I already 'told' the remote the correct option on how the tv takes channel numbers...

Any ideas? Could this be related with the delay settings? Maybe the remote is sending the second digit of the channel number eihter too fast or too slow?

help please
thanks
L.
post #134 of 236 Old 02-10-2008, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speculare View Post

Hello,
Recently got an Harmony remote 720 and first problem is (and I tried searching for an answer without success), i set up a tv with some favorite channels, but it only works properly with single digit channels - if it's 14 for example tv only gets the first '1' and stays waiting for the possible additional number. As it doesn't get it it changes to channel 1 after a second or 2 - like it does with original remote

On decive settings I already 'told' the remote the correct option on how the tv takes channel numbers...

Any ideas? Could this be related with the delay settings? Maybe the remote is sending the second digit of the channel number eihter too fast or too slow?

help please
thanks
L.

One possible problem could lie in your settings for a cable box (assuming that's what you are accessing). On my Motorola (Comcast) box you have to change a setting before two or three digit channels will respond correctly. If that's the problem the Harmony should work fine.
post #135 of 236 Old 02-12-2008, 05:45 PM

I'm about to give up on my 890 after a week of trying to set it up correctly. Nothing's working right. Also it just take forever to update the remote so it's hard to test out. I'll try to contact tech support, but in the mean time tf anyone have the following systems please help me out.

Sony 52xbr4 TV
Onkyo 605 receiver
Sony 1080i upconvert dvd player (model xxx75s)
Charter MOXI cable box

I can't get the activities to turn on the dvd player. The TV sometimes will turns off when I change activities from cable to dvd. The input doesn't change to the correct one. I consider myself a technical person, but I just can't get this thing to work right.
post #136 of 236 Old 02-12-2008, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytong View Post

I'm about to give up on my 890 after a week of trying to set it up correctly. Nothing's working right....

Sony 52xbr4 TV
Onkyo 605 receiver
Sony 1080i upconvert dvd player (model xxx75s)
Charter MOXI cable box

- Double posting. I answered in the other thread.

Can you list exactly what you are using for each delay and repeat for each device?
post #137 of 236 Old 02-13-2008, 01:23 AM

Sorry about double posting since I thought different people might be looking at different thread. Anyways, I'll keep posting in the other thread so please help me out there. Thanks.

Quote:

Can you list exactly what you are using for each delay and repeat for each device?

post #138 of 236 Old 02-13-2008, 04:56 PM

I am so Mad. I have had nothing but problems with this stupid remote ever since i got it. Here are my current issues:

1. Remote operated my JVC DLA-RS1 projector perfectly for around 4 months then it started to not be able to turn off my projector. My Projector takes two Off commands to turn off. I have tried adding two off commands to turn off Projector and that hasn't fixed problem. I have adjusted Inter Device and Inter Key setting to no avail. Right now they are set at 300/300.

2. As of yesterday, with no changes done to remote setting, my projector is now not responding to any commands. Delay settings are currently set at; Power On Delay=30000, Inter-Key Delay= 300, Input Delay =1000, Inter-Device=300. Why would it stop responding all of a sudden.

3. When you Start an activity, the remote takes over 90 seconds to send the activity. During this time the remote says "Keep remote pointed at Devices" and so during this time the remote is completely unusable. Is this normal for this to take so long? Keep in mind that even after all the devices are turned on and working, the remote is still saying "keep pointing to devices". Why would it take so long to start an activity when it's only turning on three 3 devices (Projector, Sat Receiver & Processor).

4. Remote won't control my Lutron Maestro, MIR-600THW. It used to control it but it has since stopped. One day it works, the next it won't without any setting being changed.

Thanks for your help, but for as much time that i have put into this remote, it's performance is very disappointing. My Phillips Pronto in comparison was so much easier to work with.

Any help would really be appreciated.
post #139 of 236 Old 02-14-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmcbean View Post

I am so Mad. I have had nothing but problems with this stupid remote ever since i got it. Here are my current issues:

1. Remote operated my JVC DLA-RS1 projector perfectly for around 4 months then it started to not be able to turn off my projector. My Projector takes two Off commands to turn off. I have tried adding two off commands to turn off Projector and that hasn't fixed problem. I have adjusted Inter Device and Inter Key setting to no avail. Right now they are set at 300/300.

2. As of yesterday, with no changes done to remote setting, my projector is now not responding to any commands. Delay settings are currently set at; Power On Delay=30000, Inter-Key Delay= 300, Input Delay =1000, Inter-Device=300. Why would it stop responding all of a sudden.

3. When you Start an activity, the remote takes over 90 seconds to send the activity. During this time the remote says "Keep remote pointed at Devices" and so during this time the remote is completely unusable. Is this normal for this to take so long? Keep in mind that even after all the devices are turned on and working, the remote is still saying "keep pointing to devices". Why would it take so long to start an activity when it's only turning on three 3 devices (Projector, Sat Receiver & Processor).

4. Remote won't control my Lutron Maestro, MIR-600THW. It used to control it but it has since stopped. One day it works, the next it won't without any setting being changed.

Thanks for your help, but for as much time that i have put into this remote, it's performance is very disappointing. My Phillips Pronto in comparison was so much easier to work with.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Ok, I take the above back. I called Tech support today and it turns out that the IR emitter in the remote is dead. So it's not the software that's causing the problem, it's a defective remote. Now i feel better at least knowing what was causing all the problems.

By the way, the tech support at Harmony is among st the best i have ever experienced. The agent was very polite, knowledgeable, patient and really knew the product. Three Cheers for Harmony and there support!!!
post #140 of 236 Old 02-14-2008, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ditto. I gave a pretty thorough response to the dupe post in the 880/890 Owner's Thread. Are you still having problems Rocky?

--MAv

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #141 of 236 Old 02-14-2008, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmcbean View Post

Ok, I take the above back. I called Tech support today and it turns out that the IR emitter in the remote is dead. So it's not the software that's causing the problem, it's a defective remote. Now i feel better at least knowing what was causing all the problems.

By the way, the tech support at Harmony is among st the best i have ever experienced. The agent was very polite, knowledgeable, patient and really knew the product. Three Cheers for Harmony and there support!!!

Glad they resolved your problem (although, not glad t hear that it was a defective hardware piece). Incidentally, just so you know, if I'm doing my math right, a 30,000 ms Power On Delay should take, well, 30 seconds to power the thing on. That might be something to look at adjusting when you get it back.

--Mav

post #142 of 236 Old 02-14-2008, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickster2 View Post

Glad they resolved your problem (although, not glad t hear that it was a defective hardware piece). Incidentally, just so you know, if I'm doing my math right, a 30,000 ms Power On Delay should take, well, 30 seconds to power the thing on. That might be something to look at adjusting when you get it back.

--Mav

Thanks, i will try adjusting it to see if that helps. Tech support also recommended that i turn off the "Show Activity Screen" in the Display settings under Remote Settings.
post #143 of 236 Old 02-20-2008, 04:57 PM

I have tried just about everything and have not been able to get my Harmony 890 to turn off my DLA-RS1. I have adjusted delays and speed and added two "Off" commands, but nothing seems to work.

Tonight i tried turning the projector off with the HDMI cable disconnected and it worked. It appears that the Projector must busy trying to break the handshake between the Devices and is not able to receive the two off commands.

Is there a way to change the order in which the devices are turned off? I am thinking that if i turn off the Projector first before it receives the break of the handshake through the HDMI, it will turn off. Any suggestions?
post #144 of 236 Old 03-01-2008, 04:57 PM

(Moved this from the 880 thread...)

Has anyone managed to get the 880 to properly control volume on a Denon 3808? I've tried all the inter-key delay settings (0, 100, 200 ms) but no go. If I push say volume up four times both the stock remote and the DirecTV one change the volume instantly by 2dB (0.5 per click). But the 880 spaces them out by roughly a second, causing the volume to change by 0.5dB per second.

On the flip side, if I hold either up or down the volume changes by 10dB before I can even react, like after an initial delay of a second it moves that much in half a second or less. The burst rate is almost twice that of the stock.

This driving me nuts!

Oh, and the dialog where the delays are changed for the AVR had a small box that says to click "help" for more info on the values. But there is no "help" icon or clickable text. I tried clicking the help button on the remote, but that does nothing while attached.

I tried learning the stock Vol+/Vol- and using that instead, no difference. It also makes no difference if I use an activity or the device control for the AVR. I'm at my wits' end!
post #145 of 236 Old 03-02-2008, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowLight View Post

(Moved this from the 880 thread...)

Has anyone managed to get the 880 to properly control volume on a Denon 3808? I've tried all the inter-key delay settings (0, 100, 200 ms) but no go. If I push say volume up four times both the stock remote and the DirecTV one change the volume instantly by 2dB (0.5 per click). But the 880 spaces them out by roughly a second, causing the volume to change by 0.5dB per second.

On the flip side, if I hold either up or down the volume changes by 10dB before I can even react, like after an initial delay of a second it moves that much in half a second or less. The burst rate is almost twice that of the stock.

This driving me nuts!

Oh, and the dialog where the delays are changed for the AVR had a small box that says to click "help" for more info on the values. But there is no "help" icon or clickable text. I tried clicking the help button on the remote, but that does nothing while attached.

I tried learning the stock Vol+/Vol- and using that instead, no difference. It also makes no difference if I use an activity or the device control for the AVR. I'm at my wits' end!

This is from the first post.

Quote:

...Click on the Device's "Troubleshoot"
- Select "Show me more problems"
- Select "Device doesn't appear to receive every command correctly."
- Select "The device responds too much to some commands (for example, volume up increases the volume too quickly)."

The default number of repeats is 3. Lower the repeat speed and see if the remote still responds. If it doesn't, increase the number of repeats until the device still responds. In my experience, most devices will respond with 2 or more repeats and devices like Tivos will respond with 1 repeat.

When you hold it down and it goes to fast, it sounds like your number of repeats is too high. Lower the repeats until it stops responding and then go back up one. Test multiple keys like the power on and off as well as the volume.

When you have the repeats set, set the inter-key and inter-device delays. Try them both at zero first and then adjust up by 100ms if needed.
post #146 of 236 Old 03-02-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girdnerg View Post

When you have the repeats set, set the inter-key and inter-device delays. Try them both at zero first and then adjust up by 100ms if needed.

Ahh, I read the first page several times yet somehow failed to notice the repeat setting. Setting it to zero makes the volume move more normally. Even with the inter-key and inter-device delays set to 0 it still doesn't seem to want to send commands at slightly faster than once per second though. Maybe it's two per second.

But it's better! Thanks!
post #147 of 236 Old 03-03-2008, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
i have a 670. i have it set up to switch to "TV" on my Sony HTIB receiver, HDMI input on my Sony 27" HD CRT, and turn on my Xbox 360 - as "Play Xbox 360". However, for the most part it'll switch correctly, the 360's green light will turn on, then it'll turn back off. Like the HDMI couldn't tell it was connected so it just turns it off. I don't know if this is a delay problem or not - as far as i know i have all devices set at 0ms. Anyone else ever have this problem? always ends up with my having to hit "Power" to turn on my 360. thanks!
post #148 of 236 Old 03-03-2008, 04:59 PM

I have the Harmony One and I am getting quite a delay with the SA 8300HD PVR. I spoke to the tech guy at Logitech and after changing repeat numbers and what not, no luck. I have the power setting at 3000ms and the rest at 0, is there anything else I can do?
post #149 of 236 Old 03-10-2008, 01:56 PM

Has anyone listed all devices (tvs, sat boxes and audio receivers) and their delays for the harmony? It would be great if a list existed so we don't have to experiment for days setting the delays correctly
post #150 of 236 Old 03-11-2008, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcub View Post

Has anyone listed all devices (tvs, sat boxes and audio receivers) and their delays for the harmony? It would be great if a list existed so we don't have to experiment for days setting the delays correctly

I have everything set to 0ms except for the power on delays.

Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page