1Likes

post #181 of 236 Old 11-29-2008, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarxan View Post

Firstly thanks to those that helped me with my other two questions.

Now...
(1) If I use my remote at two locations, can I cretae a new account with new Devices and Activities for the second Account? Will updating the remote with the new Devices and Activities overwrite and replace my current activities? Can I reverse that process as needed?

(2) When I set up a device the device screen displays a number of Function Icons that in some cases scroll over many screens. Can I delete and/or rearrange those Funtion Icons into a more usable order?

(3) I feel foolish for asking this because the answer is probably so simple that I'm overlooking it. Can I set up an Activity with just one Device (say Satellite Box) and choose a channel without turning any other devices on? When I try to enter a new Activity and choose watch TV it automatically selects my Plasma too and I don't want this as part of the Activity. How do I get around that?

Thanks again
Tarxan

1) Dont know
2) Yes, you can set up your own function list. I haven't mastered this yet, but you can do it.
3) You can set up your own non standard activity, say "watch dodo" and have it turn on whatever you want. EIther that, or go back and modify the activity after you create it. Should be able to delete whatever activities you dont want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 236 Old 11-29-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:

Sorry but I forgot this one.
If I started an Activity with three Devices (say to record a TV show on HDD), how can a automate a function that turns only one of the devices off (Plasma) after I've set it up to record?

Anyone got this one?
Cheers
T

If you go in and modify the activity, you can set it up to have "exit" commands, such as "mute", power off, etc.
So I have "watch DVR" and "watch TV" set up. When I want to set up a recoding, I press watch DVR, do my thing, then press Watch TV, and the DVR goes off.
post #183 of 236 Old 11-29-2008, 07:16 PM

Thanks tons for posting this sticky...it helped alot, did a few changes today and wow what a difference!!!
post #184 of 236 Old 11-29-2008, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now...
(1) If I use my remote at two locations, can I cretae a new account with new Devices and Activities for the second Account? Will updating the remote with the new Devices and Activities overwrite and replace my current activities? Can I reverse that process as needed?

Tarxan - first of all, there is a better thread to post your general 880 questions, located here.

That being said, let me try to help with your first question. If believe that if you create a second account for the same remote you will overwrite your data - not a good solution.

I use my 890 (same as 880 but RF and IR) in two rooms. For sake of explanation, assume that room 1 is a living room and room 2 is a bedroom. First, all you have to do is add all the devices you have in both rooms. Next, create separate activities for each room and name the activities in a way that you identify which activity is for which room (e.g. "BR - Watch DVD", where BR stands for bedroom).

One note of caution: If you do not properly shut down your devices, doing the above will confuse the 880 with the on / off status of your devices between rooms. Therefore, make sure you shut down all your devices in the room you are leaving (assume room 1) - using the 880, of course. If you don't shut down everything with the 880, then when you go into the other room (assume room 2) and select an activity, the remote will assume it is shutting down the devices that are still on in room 1. Of course, it won't be able to, and when you return to room 1 and select an activity the 880 will be confused and possibly send the wrong commands (on or off depending on the devices included in the activity), thus messing up your system. By the way, if this happens, simply use the "HELP" button to restore everything back.

I hope this makes sense.
post #185 of 236 Old 12-03-2008, 10:55 AM

Hi,
You can know more information on remote controlled in www(dot)flyinghippy(dot)co(dot)uk.
post #186 of 236 Old 12-07-2008, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
After a few days with the Harmony 880, I find that the "slowdown" isn't any different when using Comcast's remote. Also so something last night that indicated it may be the DVR as after pressing a button to channel on the Harmony, I saw a led flash on the DVR that I believe indicated the DVR acknowledged something, BUT no channel change. the mute button is definitely slower in sending the signal but seem to be quicker when I press down at an angle.......
post #187 of 236 Old 12-14-2008, 08:09 PM

Has anyone figured out a way to speed up key presses with a Motorola 6416? It's the only device that seems to be sluggish when pressing buttons, not super annoying but it's not like the original remote.

I've adjusted my timings to 0 for inter-key and 100ms for inter-device. I also just tried option 4 for "how your remote changes channels" ... so we'll see if that makes a difference.
post #188 of 236 Old 12-18-2008, 04:21 PM

It is a shame that the database of devices don't have more accurate default delays for devices. Most of my numbers had to be drastically changed. I realize that they need to error on the side of caution but they aren't even in the ballpark with the default values.
post #189 of 236 Old 12-22-2008, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

1) Has anyone put together a user database of delay timings (and other settings, repeats, etc..) organized by device yet?

2) Has the xbr4 TV tuner (well harmony One remote) favorites channel changing being slow been solved yet? Last I read it was left at "call tech support".
post #190 of 236 Old 12-26-2008, 08:35 PM

I just purchased a harmony One and am similar problems with my Favorites. I have them loded onto the remote but when I attempt to get to a channel that has more than one digit, it takes so long for the second digit to show up and it just goes to whatever channel the first digit was. I have a Direct tv hd-dvr and most of my channels are three digits. I have called tech support twice and they changed the inter-key delay down to 0 ms, and then back u to the default value (100 ms). Nothing has worked so far. Does anyone have a solution for this? Thanks in advance
post #191 of 236 Old 12-28-2008, 06:45 PM

Liked: 16
Good evening everyone. Long time reader, first time poster... hopefully you wizards of all things AV can help me out...

I believe I may have received a defective Harmony 880 remote control. The following are the problems I have been experiencing since getting the remote on the 25th of December.

- The top "Activities" button does absolutely nothing until you push the button 20 or 30 times. I have tried quick presses as well as long, second long presses.
- The top "Help" button does nothing at all until something else is pressed... for example: Push "Watch TV", wait for things to come on and for the "keep pointed toward system" message to disappear. Try hitting help and nothing happens. You MUST hit another button for help, activities, or even the off button to work...
- Only about 25% of the time does the "Watch TV" activity turn on my receiver, TV, and PVR. Most of the time it only turns on one or two, but hardly ever all three.
- Once everything is finally on, the number pad (0-9) does nothing (set to control PVR) until about 30 button presses. When the controller goes into "sleep mode", you have to start pressing random buttons on the number pad to get any sort of response.

Other, smaller problems have been detected, such as the remote being unable to learn many IR commands. Only about 10% of the time does it actually succeed. I have tried different distances, longer/shorter button presses, etc.

The following are the troubleshooting I have done since opening my gift.

- Updated the software and firmware 2 or 3 times just to make sure.
- Turned down/up ms power delay (from 100 ms to 4000+ ms on all devices, including "default")
- Checked Logitech forums
- Checked AVG forums, obviously .

This is my equipment:
TV - Philips 42PF7220A/37B
PVR - Dish Network Dish DVR-625
DVD- Onkyo DV-SP404
Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR605

Thank you very much for any help you may be able to give me. I asked for this remote specifically due to all the great reviews I have read and anticipate getting the remote working fully.
post #192 of 236 Old 12-28-2008, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

snappjay, first off did you go through the online set-up procedure to add your devices and create your activities?
post #193 of 236 Old 12-28-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaumgart View Post

snappjay, first off did you go through the online set-up procedure to add your devices and create your activities?

WOW you guys are fast. Thanks so much!

Short answer, yes I believe I did.

Long answer, I unpacked everything, charged the remote in the stand for 4-5 hours. I went to logitech.com/support to get the latest software (7.5.0). I added all my devices, and auto-set up my Watch TV, Watch DVD, Listen to Radio, and Listen to CD (using DVD player).
post #194 of 236 Old 12-28-2008, 07:33 PM

Sounds like a defective unit, I would exchange it!
post #195 of 236 Old 12-28-2008, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Before exchanging it, just to make sure, try calling Harmony support and have them take a look at your setup. If your remote is not defective they will diagnose and get you running in short order.
post #196 of 236 Old 12-28-2008, 07:50 PM

I should add some more info..

The OEM motes work dandy. Nothing is obstructing the IR. I am sitting about 7 ft back from the system.

The best way I have learned to turn off the system with the new remote is to manually program "Add Sequence" and input everything manually.... and no one should have to do that....

Also, when pressing the "Listen to Radio" activity, it turns off everything else but the AVR, which is good, but it doesn't change the function... for example, if I was watching the Dish, it will keep it on "CBL" and not change to "Tuner" like it's supposed to... I turn everything off, try it again, and sure enough, it does what it's supposed to do and start in "Tuner" mode.

Being a IT workstation support tech by trade, I feel as if this is pointing toward hardware failure.
post #197 of 236 Old 12-28-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaumgart View Post

Before exchanging it, just to make sure, try calling Harmony support and have them take a look at your setup. If your remote is not defective they will diagnose and get you running in short order.

E-mailed so far. I expect to hear from them shortly.

Thank you all so far for your assistance. This was the "big" present from my wife this year. She feels terrible about it not working
post #198 of 236 Old 12-28-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappjay View Post

E-mailed so far. I expect to hear from them shortly.

Thank you all so far for your assistance. This was the "big" present from my wife this year. She feels terrible about it not working

Once its fixed she'll be happy that your so happy
post #199 of 236 Old 12-31-2008, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

I got one for my wife in early Dec when they were on sale on Amazon, and she loves it!! Once I added her favorite Comcast buttons to the custom menu, she now prefers the Harmony 880!!

Sean
"I do not like the cone of shame"
Boom Boom Room
post #200 of 236 Old 01-01-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessEdge View Post

Has anyone figured out a way to speed up key presses with a Motorola 6416? It's the only device that seems to be sluggish when pressing buttons, not super annoying but it's not like the original remote.

I've adjusted my timings to 0 for inter-key and 100ms for inter-device. I also just tried option 4 for "how your remote changes channels" ... so we'll see if that makes a difference.

I second this question--it's about to drive me nuts!
post #201 of 236 Old 01-03-2009, 10:00 PM

Bought a 670 and all my response times are great except when I switch activities. For example, switching from the DVD player to the TV. I have about a 5 second delay before anything works. Once the delay is done, there is absolutely no more delay when I stay on the source I switched to.

Is this worth messing with or is that normal?
post #202 of 236 Old 01-17-2009, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

I'm not sure if slow response is the right description. Everything in m HT setup work great with my remote except the Dish Network DVR 625. I say not really slow response because it isn't like I push the button and wait and something happens. Nothing happens on normal button pushs but if I press and hold the button it works. Its all the buttons for the 625, not just certain functions.

I've played with the inter key and inter device settings but nothing seems to make a difference.

Any Dish Network users having this problem? I just switched from the 880 and it doesn't have the problem.
post #203 of 236 Old 02-05-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osgcn View Post

I second this question--it's about to drive me nuts!

I third this question....
post #204 of 236 Old 02-05-2009, 07:59 PM

I've had the Harmony one about a month now and absolutely love it. Started out with the 550 but after a day of having to press the glow button and reading about the Harmony one I switched to the One. I Made my first call to techs today as the only issue I had was not being able to setup discrete power commands for the satellite. They did their magic and now everything is Grandma and toddler proof!

I have all the delays set to 0 except for the power delays for the TV and DVD which are set to 3000 to allow for the input check/change and the Open tray command.

The Favorite channel logos display automatically when I'm watching TV. All device buttons are set to defaults. Only have one page of additional buttons that show up automatically for each activity (besides TV). They all include Power toggle for that main device, Change TV input and Change Surround sound preset plus any missing commands from the standard buttons that made more sense to be at the top.

Please share your littel preferences/tips...I only found out about discreet commands by reading a post!

Toshiba TV - 72HM196
Bell HD Satellite - 6100
OPPO DVD - 983H
Pioneer receiver - SX-316-S
Sony VCR - SLV-N750
Kodak Easyshare HDTV Dock
Vornado Touchstone 500 Heater - Broken
PS3 and PS3IR-PRO on its way
post #205 of 236 Old 02-06-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon summit View Post

I'm not sure if slow response is the right description. Everything in m HT setup work great with my remote except the Dish Network DVR 625. I say not really slow response because it isn't like I push the button and wait and something happens. Nothing happens on normal button pushs but if I press and hold the button it works. Its all the buttons for the 625, not just certain functions.

I've played with the inter key and inter device settings but nothing seems to make a difference.

Any Dish Network users having this problem? I just switched from the 880 and it doesn't have the problem.

I had the same issue with my Harmony One and Bell 6100 receiver. Changing the setting to 5 for the following should fix it.

Devices > Troubleshoot > Satellite responds to some commands either too many times or only occasionally.

After I did this I was able to change my delays to 0 and now it's even quicker than the original remote.
post #206 of 236 Old 03-06-2009, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I've just purchased a Harmony 890 and so far I'm a little disappointed with the IR speed.

For example, on my factory Dish Network remote control I can hit the up arrow in rapid succession and the DVR responds very quickly to every button press. However, on my 890 it's very slow and takes a long time before the remote finishes sending my commands.

I've turned down the Inter-Key Delay to 0ms and I've tried changing the Repeats between 0 and 4 without much luck.

However, my cheap URC RF-20 remote control responds very quickly to rapid key presses.

How can I get my 890 to send the commands faster? I can see the little "beam" signal on my remote still lit even if I let go of the button so it seems like the remote isn't sending the commands fast enough, or something.
post #207 of 236 Old 03-06-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakng View Post

I've just purchased a Harmony 890 and so far I'm a little disappointed with the IR speed.

For example, on my factory Dish Network remote control I can hit the up arrow in rapid succession and the DVR responds very quickly to every button press. However, on my 890 it's very slow and takes a long time before the remote finishes sending my commands.

I've turned down the Inter-Key Delay to 0ms and I've tried changing the Repeats between 0 and 4 without much luck.

However, my cheap URC RF-20 remote control responds very quickly to rapid key presses.

How can I get my 890 to send the commands faster? I can see the little "beam" signal on my remote still lit even if I let go of the button so it seems like the remote isn't sending the commands fast enough, or something.

it's basically a hardware limitation. my H1 is the same way on my dtv box. the stock remote is just faster.

i guess they can't excel in every category.

was hoping a future firmware update might improve things, but it seems unlikely if it's this way on the 890 as well.
post #208 of 236 Old 04-21-2009, 02:13 PM

That is good to know
post #209 of 236 Old 04-21-2009, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

You post too much>>>

farley2k

HH
post #210 of 236 Old 05-15-2009, 08:39 AM

I apologize if this has been covered before, but are any of you using a Harmony with the Samsung 950 LCDs? I have a 46a950, and I'd like to have the TV respond quicker to the remote. When I try to start an activity with everything off, it seems to take forever to have the TV come on and switch inputs. However, switching inputs once the TV is on seems to work well.

I've tried reducing the "warm-up" time for the TV in the Device options. The default is 13000ms. The problem is that when I set the number too low, the TV won't get the command to switch inputs once it's on. Has anyone found that "ideal" delay time for this LCD?

Thanks.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page