AVS Forum banner
62K views 338 replies 141 participants last post by  claprade 
#1 ·
Hi all... just purchased a Logitech Harmony 360 remote control.

Are there any other Harmony 360 owners out there?

Haven't configured it yet... but initial impression is a very handsome remote with a high build quality. Backlight is very impressive.

The 360 is similar to the Logitech Harmony 520 but has the following differences:

- 8 additional hard buttons

- an additional row of text (six versus five). Seems higher rez.

- Silver color vs. black

- green back lighting vs. blue

- Pre configured for Xbox 360

The 360 can do all the 520 does, i.e. control up to 12 devices. All of the additional hard buttons can be re-assigned as desired.

My intent is to use the X and A (blue & green) buttons for Page Up and Page down. These are two of my most used buttons on my current remote and the main reason I had reservations about the 520. I know I could have used soft buttons, but I wanted these to be hard buttons in a convenient spot.

See less See more
#27 ·
I recently bought a Harmony 360 and I have to say I really like it a lot. My question is, is the backlight supposed to come on when you move or pick up the remote? Or stay on when you press a button. I used to have an 880 but I exchanged it for the 360 (and about $150 in my pocket) and I would really like to find a way to make the backlight behave like the 880. Is this possible?

#29 ·
Maybe I didn't phrase my question properly.

Currently the only way I get the backlight is if I press the glow button. After the set amount of time it turns off automatically, or I can press the button again and turn it off manually.

Ideally I'd like for the backlight to come on anytime I pick up the remote. The 880 has a motion sensor in it which detects when the remote has been picked up and the backlight automatically comes on.

My question is, Is there a motion sensor in the 360? I can hear something rattling around inside mine, and I didn't know if I got a broken sensor or not.

#30 ·
Mine works some of the time - the light sensor works just fine but I got the same rattling as you when I got mine this week.

#31 ·
Well I got one and it didn't work properly at all. I returned it today because I assumed it was defective, but the new one behaves exactly the same way. One of my friends bought one last week, but hasn't had time to open it yet and try it out.

What percentage of people here that have the 360 remote actually have the motion sensor working properly?

#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by el nacho /forum/post/0

Well I got one and it didn't work properly at all. I returned it today because I assumed it was defective, but the new one behaves exactly the same way. One of my friends bought one last week, but hasn't had time to open it yet and try it out.

What percentage of people here that have the 360 remote actually have the motion sensor working properly?

What motion sensor are you referring to...the one that lights up the screen when its picked up or are you saying its not controlling your devices correctly? If its about the lighting up issue, it has to be still for quite some time for it to light up when moved. Not sure exactly how long though.

#33 ·
To clarify, the tilt sensor ONLY works when the remote has been sitting for a long time. That is, the LCD should be completely blank, and when you pick it up, it should light up the LCD. I usually notice this after leaving the remote sitting all night. BTW, the tilt sensor is VERY sensitive. For example, I had the remote on a coffee table, and dropped three pieces of mail on the carpet next to the coffee table, and it was enough vibration to cause the Harmony to light up...

#34 ·
That seems to be correct - my 520 does the same thing - the tilt sensor only ever works after a long period of non-use - when the screen is totally blank. Then it lights up immeadiately that I touch it.

It seems strange though that after this the sensor never works - I have to always press the glow button....

#35 ·
Alright. That's actually the way that mine works. Thanks for the input.

As I said, I just replaced my 880 with the 360, and that's not how the 880 works at all (of course that's probably why the 880 only has a battery life span of 3-4 days). Anytime you move the 880 the backlight comes on, and I was hoping that there was a setting to make the 360 act the same way, but it doesn't look like this is the case. Maybe someday they will release a firmware update that gives you this option.

Oh well thanks again for the replies. At lease now I know I don't have a bad unit.

#36 ·
OK next question. When I was using the included software to program my remote, while adding activities for my Cable box and TV in my bedroom I got an error message saying something could not be displayed. So I went to the harmony website and tried to run the setup from there. When I got to the same part of the setup, I found that the part that it was crashing at was a selection screen that asked me my favorite channels. And there is mention of not downloading too many days worth of TV listings to the remote because there might not be enough memory on the remote.

Also I noticed that when updating the new settings from the web page (as opposed to the software gui that came with the remote) there is a note that says "To get the latest TV listings, use the Update link above"

What gives? It sounds like the setup program is supposed to be downloading the TV guide information from the internet and saving it in my remote, but I cannot find that information anywhere. What is the point of selecting my favorite channels if they don't show up somewhere.

I assume that this is a feature that many of the other models of Harmonys have that the 360 doesn't. There was a "media" button on my 880, which would have made perfect sence for this application. Can anyone confirm or deny?

#37 ·
Correct. The 360 and 520 do not have the Favourite channels option, so trying to set them up will cause an error.

The 360 and 520 are designed to be used with the PC based Java app for programming, not the web based programming. You can use the web based programming(and it is supposedly meant to be better than the Java programming), but as it is not specifically designed for the 360/520, you might get occasional compatability issues like the one you've found.

#38 ·
to the guy with the rattling xbox 360

thats the tilt ball located in the case that fumbles around when the 360 is horizontal or vertical. the ball falls around and completes a circuit to tell the system it is horz or vertical. It nothing but a tilt sensor in teh xbox 360 dont worry.

our 360 remotes have sensors in them as well. when touched after sitting for a while, it glows.

#39 ·
I am interested in purchasing this remote, but I want to make sure that it can do everything all of my other remotes do. Here's my setup

Sony 52 Widescreen projection HDtv

Xbox 360

Comcast cable box with DVR

Sony 300+1 DVD changer

The tv has a PIP button on the remote labeled GUIDE, and it allows me to resize both video feeds in an almost seesaw way. One video gets larger, the other smaller. It also lets me choose which feed I would like to listen to, as only one video feed willhave sound at a time. This is a major function that I use that can only be accomplished currently by using the TV remote.

My other major concern, is that I want a remote that can open/close the 300+1 DVD changer, as well as allow me to search the separate folders and dvds in the changer. Again, currently I can only accomplish those by using the DVD changer remote. I want only 1 remote to handle those function, as right now I have about 3 separate ones. Can the Harmony 360 do those things? I understand that I should be able to program the harmony, but I don't want to spend $100 just to get disappointed.

Sidenote:

I am fairly new to the Comcast DVR. When I replay my recordings, I notice that there are still commercials. Is there a way that I can set it so that it does not record commercials like the TIVO can?

#40 ·
The Harmony will learn any function that your original remote can do. It already has a "guide" button, so that will even be correctly labeled. Anything which doesn't have an applicable hard button can be put on the LCD "soft" buttons, over several pages if required.

#41 ·
I recently got a 360 to replace my Harmony 680. I tried to migrate my Harmony 680 configuration to the 360. The way you do this is you run a connectivity check, which tells the web site what model you have, then you do an update. The last time I did this, migrating from a 688 to a 680, it worked perfectly. This time, it seemed to import the configuration, but it did not control my TV correctly. My TV uses a scheme in which one command brings up the input menu, another scrolls through it, and a third command confirms the selection. The 360 seemed to be failing to issue the confirm command when switching activities that used different inputs. I tried tweaking the delays, but that didn't work. I don't think the problem is with importing my old configuration, because I ran into the same problem when I created a new configuration from scratch. I ultimately found a workaround, but I think the 360 has some bugs.

The other thing that I noticed is that not all of the custom commands seem to be configurable. There seem to be a few hardcoded custom commands for each activity that cannot be removed.

Despite these issues, I generally like the 360. It has a nice complement of buttons (a few more than the 520, although it is otherwise similar), nicely laid out, and I like the fact that the buttons vary in shape and texture, which makes them easier to identify in the dark. I also like the display and green backlighting.

#42 ·
I have the Harmony 360 and I'm trying to change the order of the commands for the activity "Play Xbox 360". Currently, it will power on my 360 first, then the TV, then my receiver, then change the inputs on my TV/receiver. The problem is that I don't want the 360 to turn on until AFTER the TV is on and on the right input so I can see what's going on with the 360 when it powers on.

But I can't find a way to change the order in which it executes these commands in the activity? Is there a way to do this?

#43 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgibbs /forum/post/0

The other thing that I noticed is that not all of the custom commands seem to be configurable. There seem to be a few hardcoded custom commands for each activity that cannot be removed.

I am thinking about getting a 360 to replace my 520 because the extra buttons will come in handy with my current setup. I do not own a xbox so I have no use for this activity. I was wondering if the "play xbox" activity can be entirely deleted and ALL the extra buttons can be reassigned. Basically, I want to load the 360 with my 520 config and then customize all the extra buttons. Can I just login to my 520 config pages on Logitech's website and hook up the 360 to initiate a remote update that would download my entire 520 config to the 360 or do I need to create a separate 360 account to program it? You mentioned unremovable hardcoded commands..are these related to the xbox....exactly what commands cannot be removed? thanks for the help.

#44 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvc /forum/post/0

I am thinking about getting a 360 to replace my 520 because the extra buttons will come in handy with my current setup. I do not own a xbox so I have no use for this activity. I was wondering if the "play xbox" activity can be entirely deleted and ALL the extra buttons can be reassigned. Basically, I want to load the 360 with my 520 config and then customize all the extra buttons. Can I just login to my 520 config pages on Logitech's website and hook up the 360 to initiate a remote update that would download my entire 520 config to the 360 or do I need to create a separate 360 account to program it? You mentioned unremovable hardcoded commands..are these related to the xbox....exactly what commands cannot be removed? thanks for the help.

Yes you can completely delete the xbox 360 device and any related activities. The remote is then basically like a 520 with 8 extra hard buttons.

Not sure about the migration from 520 to 360. Sounds straight forward.... if you search support on the Harmony sight I believe there's a tech note on this.

#45 ·
To migrate from one Harmony remote to another, just do a connectivity check with the new remote, then do an update. I ran into some difficulties going from a 680 to a 360, but going from a 520 to a 360 should be smooth considering that they are almost the same remote.

#46 ·
I just bought one of these and I really love the whole guided setup for this. I am an owner of a Pronto T1000 so I kind of miss the picture based touch interface, but the family likes the new hard buttons.

The only issue I had was using a Radio Shack 15-1987 6-input,2-output AV switch. The thing doesn't have a remote of its own - it learns codes for your other equipment. All of my other equipment can control this unit just fine from 8'-10' away, but the Harmony 360 won't do it unless you get very close to the switch. I'm thinking it is some sort of signal strength issue with the learned code...any way to adjust signal strength??

Anyway I was very very surprised and impressed to see the 15-1987 in the component library, but not having any codes of its own, I was wondering where they must have pulled the codes from for this unit.

#47 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shokk /forum/post/0

I just bought one of these and I really love the whole guided setup for this. I am an owner of a Pronto T1000 so I kind of miss the picture based touch interface, but the family likes the new hard buttons.

The only issue I had was using a Radio Shack 15-1987 6-input,2-output AV switch. The thing doesn't have a remote of its own - it learns codes for your other equipment. All of my other equipment can control this unit just fine from 8'-10' away, but the Harmony 360 won't do it unless you get very close to the switch. I'm thinking it is some sort of signal strength issue with the learned code...any way to adjust signal strength??

Anyway I was very very surprised and impressed to see the 15-1987 in the component library, but not having any codes of its own, I was wondering where they must have pulled the codes from for this unit.

I have that model, and it seems to work fine from across the room with my 360. The Harmony remotes generally have good signals. I'd suggest reprogramming the switch. Maybe teach some codes to the 360 and then use them to program the switch.

I think Harmony mines user configurations for codes (which also explains the variable quality of the codes), so the ones in the library could be just about anything. I used an old remote for a piece of equipment that I no longer own to program mine. These days, I'm using the Radio Shack exclusively as a digital audio switcher. I have a VideoStorm 6 input 2 out component video switcher that works the same way; I've programmed them both to use the same codes, so as far as the Harmony is concerned, they are a single device.

#48 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgibbs /forum/post/0

I have that model, and it seems to work fine from across the room with my 360. The Harmony remotes generally have good signals. I'd suggest reprogramming the switch. Maybe teach some codes to the 360 and then use them to program the switch.

I think Harmony mines user configurations for codes (which also explains the variable quality of the codes), so the ones in the library could be just about anything. I used an old remote for a piece of equipment that I no longer own to program mine. These days, I'm using the Radio Shack exclusively as a digital audio switcher. I have a VideoStorm 6 input 2 out component video switcher that works the same way; I've programmed them both to use the same codes, so as far as the Harmony is concerned, they are a single device.

I've done that. I have an old Technics receiver remote that I programmed the Radio Shack switch with. Once programmed, the AV switch can be controlled by the Technics remote: numeric #1 for Input 1 jacks, #2 for Input 2, etc. These were also taught to the Pronto, and it controls them fine from my viewing distance. I've taught those same codes to the Harmony and it just can't hit the switch without walking up to the switch. Maybe there is something wrong with the learning port on the Harmony. I'll go through the code learning wizard a few dozen more times to make sure. =)

#49 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shokk /forum/post/0

I've done that. I have an old Technics receiver remote that I programmed the Radio Shack switch with. Once programmed, the AV switch can be controlled by the Technics remote: numeric #1 for Input 1 jacks, #2 for Input 2, etc. These were also taught to the Pronto, and it controls them fine from my viewing distance. I've taught those same codes to the Harmony and it just can't hit the switch without walking up to the switch. Maybe there is something wrong with the learning port on the Harmony. I'll go through the code learning wizard a few dozen more times to make sure. =)

Other things I can think of are to try learning the commands in Raw mode, and try teaching the Harmony with both the Technics remote and the Pronto. Also, as an experiment, you could add the Technics as a device and see how the library codes for the Technics work on the RadioShack box. It seems odd that the problem would manifest as a range issue. I've never seen this--learning is usually all-or-none. Do have the same problem switching when the Harmony is in device mode?

#50 ·
I recently bought the 360 and am very happy with the functions of the remote. I did have one question though... it seems that the battery door is not flush with the remote casing. It looks like the edges of the battery door are slightly hanging over the casing. Does any one else's remote have this issue?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.