The official Harmony 360 remote owners thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 339 Old 12-29-2005, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all... just purchased a Logitech Harmony 360 remote control.
Are there any other Harmony 360 owners out there?

Haven't configured it yet... but initial impression is a very handsome remote with a high build quality. Backlight is very impressive.

The 360 is similar to the Logitech Harmony 520 but has the following differences:
- 8 additional hard buttons
- an additional row of text (six versus five). Seems higher rez.
- Silver color vs. black
- green back lighting vs. blue
- Pre configured for Xbox 360

The 360 can do all the 520 does, i.e. control up to 12 devices. All of the additional hard buttons can be re-assigned as desired.

My intent is to use the X and A (blue & green) buttons for Page Up and Page down. These are two of my most used buttons on my current remote and the main reason I had reservations about the 520. I know I could have used soft buttons, but I wanted these to be hard buttons in a convenient spot.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 339 Old 12-30-2005, 01:35 AM

thinking about getting this with my bestbuy gift card.
do you like it?
will it work good with tivo?
post #3 of 339 Old 12-30-2005, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

360 will work great with TIVO. All appropriate codes are already available.
post #4 of 339 Old 12-31-2005, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Setup and config of the remote went very easily. Though I'd like to see a power user mode in the software. It's a little tedious doing everything in Wizard mode.

After using for a couple of days a couple of things I'd like to see improved:

1) Most of the buttons are a little soft I'd like to see them firmer like the Y, X, A, B. Also the number buttons could be a little larger.
2) The directional joy thumb pad has too much tactile feedback.
3) The infrared commands are a little slow. For example repeated presses of cursor up takes a while for the STB to catch up. MY IR remote is almost instsantaneous. I'll have to see if I can adjust the timing.
post #5 of 339 Old 12-31-2005, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

For 3 just redude the inter key delay and the inter device delay for your STB. Also try reducing the number of repeats to 0 or 1.
post #6 of 339 Old 01-01-2006, 12:42 PM

i was basically on my way to the store to get this when i found 880's online for about 50 bucks more and had to jump on that...only thing i'm having trouble with as far as controlling my 360 is scrolling on long lists of folders when listening to mp3's...i have 170 albums linked to the "portable device" (external hard drive) and it takes awhile to scroll through individually...i have no "right trigger" button and i can't get the remote to learn the code...i don't see any buttons on the 360 remote that are any different besides abxy but i have those in my lcd menu...

any suggestions? the remote that came with the 360 won't go down a page at a time either...
post #7 of 339 Old 01-01-2006, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by grider View Post

Hi all... just purchased a Logitech Harmony 360 remote control.
Are there any other Harmony 360 owners out there?

Haven't configured it yet... but initial impression is a very handsome remote with a high build quality. Backlight is very impressive.

The 360 is similar to the Logitech Harmony 520 but has the following differences:
- 8 additional hard buttons
- an additional row of text (six versus five). Seems higher rez.
- Silver color vs. black
- green back lighting vs. blue
- Pre configured for Xbox 360

The 360 can do all the 520 does, i.e. control up to 12 devices. All of the additional hard buttons can be re-assigned as desired.

My intent is to use the X and A (blue & green) buttons for Page Up and Page down. These are two of my most used buttons on my current remote and the main reason I had reservations about the 520. I know I could have used soft buttons, but I wanted these to be hard buttons in a convenient spot.

FYI, the 520 has the same number of rows as the picture of the 360...it looks identical in fact. The picture seems outdated.
post #8 of 339 Old 01-01-2006, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by czzer View Post

For 3 just redude the inter key delay and the inter device delay for your STB. Also try reducing the number of repeats to 0 or 1.

I've reduced the inter key delay from 500ms to 0ms. Response is still slow.

How/where do I change the interdevice delay and the number of repeats?

thanks.
post #9 of 339 Old 01-02-2006, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJacobs View Post

i was basically on my way to the store to get this when i found 880's online for about 50 bucks more and had to jump on that...only thing i'm having trouble with as far as controlling my 360 is scrolling on long lists of folders when listening to mp3's...i have 170 albums linked to the "portable device" (external hard drive) and it takes awhile to scroll through individually...i have no "right trigger" button and i can't get the remote to learn the code...i don't see any buttons on the 360 remote that are any different besides abxy but i have those in my lcd menu...

any suggestions? the remote that came with the 360 won't go down a page at a time either...

Looks like you have several issues:
1) You purchased an 880. Suggest you re-post in the 880 thread you're more likely to get relevant input.
2) Slow scrolling through lists - try to speed up the reponsiveness of your remote. See here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=623320
3) Sounds like you need a page up/page down button. I don't know if this is a valid code option for the Xbox 360 - Anyone know this? Suggest you check the various code options in the add a button section at the bottom of your Xbox 360 device list in setup. You could also put your remote in device mode and try all the different commands. (I don't have an xbox 360).
4) Harmony 360's extra hard buttons are: Y, X, A, B, Clear, Display, Title, Enter
post #10 of 339 Old 01-02-2006, 12:01 PM

Quote:

Looks like you have several issues:
1) You purchased an 880. Suggest you re-post in the 880 thread you're more likely to get relevant input.

yeah, i posted at remote central and got nothing, posted on the 360 forums and got nothing...i just don't think it's possible

Quote:

Slow scrolling through lists - try to speed up the reponsiveness of your remote.

no i meant slow as in takes a long time because i'm looking @ each individual folder instead of being able to "page down" to get another "block" of folders...

Quote:

Sounds like you need a page up/page down button. I don't know if this is a valid code option for the Xbox 360 - Anyone know this? Suggest you check the various code options in the add a button section at the bottom of your Xbox 360 device list in setup. You could also put your remote in device mode and try all the different commands. (I don't have an xbox 360).

yeah the default commands for the 360 are pretty limited, there's only like abxy, media center, 360 guide, open tray, and a few dvd commands...but nothing has worked so far...and i don't think i can teach it anything off my controller...i tried but nothing happens and the 360 controller doesn't really have a "sensor" that i know of so who knows if i'm lining them up right...thanks for the info though
post #11 of 339 Old 01-02-2006, 03:30 PM

I received the 360 remote for Christmas and I must say I love it. Having 7 remotes intuitively become 1 is a fantastic change for sure.

I've had one issue...I was trying to change some of the STB controls for my Comcast 6412. I put a few often used controls on the hard buttons (IE, Guide = Y, DVR List = X, VOD = A, Live TV = B, Day forward = #, Day backward = *). So All I did was place often used commands on hard buttons. However, once I did that my soft button display suddenly is only 1 screen deep and does not show page commands or any others for that matter.

How can I put hard buttons commands where I want them, but also keep the soft buttons intact only change their order?

Cheers...
post #12 of 339 Old 01-03-2006, 11:14 PM

Quote:

I've reduced the inter key delay from 500ms to 0ms. Response is still slow.

How/where do I change the interdevice delay and the number of repeats?

thanks.

You have to go into the section that says that your device is not responding to every command.. don't remember the exact verbiage.. I was having problems with a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD and this fixed the slow response.

Hope this helps.
post #13 of 339 Old 01-04-2006, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRSX View Post

I received the 360 remote for Christmas and I must say I love it. Having 7 remotes intuitively become 1 is a fantastic change for sure.

I've had one issue...I was trying to change some of the STB controls for my Comcast 6412. I put a few often used controls on the hard buttons (IE, Guide = Y, DVR List = X, VOD = A, Live TV = B, Day forward = #, Day backward = *). So All I did was place often used commands on hard buttons. However, once I did that my soft button display suddenly is only 1 screen deep and does not show page commands or any others for that matter.

How can I put hard buttons commands where I want them, but also keep the soft buttons intact only change their order?

Cheers...

Hmmm... that shouldn't have happened. I also put some commands on hard buttons and my soft commands are still there. You may want to redo the STB setup by deleting it and start over.

Btw... not sure if you have found the web based version of the harmony configuration software. It's MUCH better than the software that comes on the CD.

Here's a link to it:
http://members.harmonyremote.com
post #14 of 339 Old 01-04-2006, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpage View Post

You have to go into the section that says that your device is not responding to every command.. don't remember the exact verbiage.. I was having problems with a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD and this fixed the slow response.

Hope this helps.

Was that with a Harmony 360 or some other model?
I wonder if some of these options are missing on the 360. I found the interkey delay and number of repeats but I can't find the interdevice delay.
post #15 of 339 Old 01-04-2006, 11:58 AM

Quote:

Was that with a Harmony 360 or some other model?
I wonder if some of these options are missing on the 360. I found the interkey delay and number of repeats but I can't find the interdevice delay.

Harmony 360.. not sure if this was to fix the interdevice delay or number of repeats, but I do think I remember that it was measured in ms and not a number ranging from 0-3. So that would be the interdevice delay? I'd have to go back and check, but I am at work now.

Where can I find the number of repeats option?

Edit: Also, I was using the CD installed software and not the web-based utility if that makes any difference.
post #16 of 339 Old 01-04-2006, 08:22 PM

Anyone else having this promblem? alot of times it forgets to turn on the tv or sometimes the xbox 360 doesn't turn on either, I follow the help display and that fixes it for alittle while and then it starts not turning things on again.

Overall a nice remote besides those issues. Are there any other cool setting I can set up with my sony sxrd and the remote?
post #17 of 339 Old 01-05-2006, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by needfull View Post

Overall a nice remote besides those issues. Are there any other cool setting I can set up with my sony sxrd and the remote?

- http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=623320 for directions on how to speed up the remote.

Here are my settings for the SXRD. For the Power, I use discrete Power On and Power Off.
Power On Delay: 700 ms
Inter-key Delay: 100 ms
Input Delay: 100 ms
Inter-Device Delay: 200 ms
post #18 of 339 Old 01-05-2006, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm thinking about getting the Harmony 360 but I have a question. Can I program the remote so that one button on it will actually do 2 normal button presses. For example, sometimes when I'm watching football on my Tivo, I like to use the 30 second skip for the play clock. However, some times run there plays faster so I press 8 second rewind and 30 second skip right afterwards to get a 22 second skip. Can I program the Harmony 360 to do this sequence with one button? If not are there other remotes out (preferebly under $100) that can do that as well as control multiple tivos in one room and control my HP MD5880n?
post #19 of 339 Old 01-05-2006, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post

I'm thinking about getting the Harmony 360 but I have a question. Can I program the remote so that one button on it will actually do 2 normal button presses. For example, sometimes when I'm watching football on my Tivo, I like to use the 30 second skip for the play clock. However, some times run there plays faster so I press 8 second rewind and 30 second skip right afterwards to get a 22 second skip. Can I program the Harmony 360 to do this sequence with one button? If not are there other remotes out (preferebly under $100) that can do that as well as control multiple tivos in one room and control my HP MD5880n?

You should be able to create a macro to do this.
post #20 of 339 Old 01-05-2006, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The Harmony line of remotes do not support macros in the traditional sense. The only way to run a "macro" is to run an Activity. Once you are in an Activity, no macros are available.

There is a dirty workaround for executing the "mini-macro" you are talking about for the TV. It is possible to try and teach the Harmony the 2 button command you are talking about. You can try and teach the 2 button command to the Harmony in the learning mode. Try to learn the command in RAW mode. Simply press the buttons very quickly. If the Harmony learns it, you can test it.
post #21 of 339 Old 01-06-2006, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter

Another way is to use another programmable remote. Teach it the command and then use it to teach the Harmony. The harmony will accept it as a single command.
post #22 of 339 Old 01-08-2006, 04:40 AM

sup guys, i just bought the 360 as well.. Im very pleased so far except the buttons feel too easy to break, some are hard to push for input and the buttons are too small. I can get over all of this with time..

My question is.. When you update the remote is it reflashing its memory with the new updated version everytime? If so, wouldnt alot of flashes over time ruin the internal memory?

I wanna reset the remote to factory without messng anything up with my 360 and start over from scratch, can i just use the reset function in the remote prefernces?

I need to fgure out how to get my RF switches for my hampton bay fan and RF switch to my lamp to work with IR signals. If anyone has a solution let me know. I got the hampton bay winward II and a Heath Company inline RF wireless plugin the wall type switch for my lamp. Of course we all know ir remotes arent capable of producing RF signals, so if anyone knows whta i can do let me know. This will free up 2 more remotes of mine
post #23 of 339 Old 01-08-2006, 10:26 AM

Quote:

Another way is to use another programmable remote. Teach it the command and then use it to teach the Harmony. The harmony will accept it as a single command.

if you mean by macros, i can't get that to work...the macro runs too slow for it to pick it up...in my case anyways...
post #24 of 339 Old 01-08-2006, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJacobs View Post

if you mean by macros, i can't get that to work...the macro runs too slow for it to pick it up...in my case anyways...

Make sure you're teaching it in "raw"
post #25 of 339 Old 01-08-2006, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
i've been looking everywhere are kind find an answer to this probably very stupid question. but here it goes :

with my setup i need my motorola HD PVR to stay always ON....but i see no option for that anywhere in the online setup or the Harmony help pages. in "watch pvr" mode when i want to shut everything down (except for the box), what can i change in the configurations? right now i am having to go to each component in Device Mode and turn them off one by one.

thanks
post #26 of 339 Old 01-08-2006, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

UPDATE - figured it out. now i'm just fine tuning everything.
post #27 of 339 Old 01-14-2006, 09:44 AM

I recently bought a Harmony 360 and I have to say I really like it a lot. My question is, is the backlight supposed to come on when you move or pick up the remote? Or stay on when you press a button. I used to have an 880 but I exchanged it for the 360 (and about $150 in my pocket) and I would really like to find a way to make the backlight behave like the 880. Is this possible?
post #28 of 339 Old 01-14-2006, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

i think if you press GLOW it should turn back off.

i agree it's a cool remote....my only complaint so far is that the volume up button is a little unresponsive for me.
post #29 of 339 Old 01-14-2006, 11:47 AM

Maybe I didn't phrase my question properly.

Currently the only way I get the backlight is if I press the glow button. After the set amount of time it turns off automatically, or I can press the button again and turn it off manually.

Ideally I'd like for the backlight to come on anytime I pick up the remote. The 880 has a motion sensor in it which detects when the remote has been picked up and the backlight automatically comes on.

My question is, Is there a motion sensor in the 360? I can hear something rattling around inside mine, and I didn't know if I got a broken sensor or not.
post #30 of 339 Old 01-14-2006, 12:29 PM

Mine works some of the time - the light sensor works just fine but I got the same rattling as you when I got mine this week.

No signature here...
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech Harmony Xbox 360 Remote , Logitech Harmony 520 Advanced Universal Remote Universal Remote Control 966191 0403

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page