Harmony 880 . . . JUNK! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 112 Old 01-24-2006, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No wonder why harmony sold out to Logitech. Logitech is known to make cheap stuff and this Harmony remote will go great in their product line. Their software interface and the touting of a 20 min setup time is a bunch of CR*P IMO.

Just received it today too bad as it was at a good price of $179 from Ecost. But it's worth about $10. Cheap build quality and it doesn't work correctly with my new components.
Spent an hour on the phone with tech support to no avail.

Unit won't save the input when changing from DVD to TV. Had issues right out of box where tech had to re-install firmware.

Now I'll hear from all those happy users that say mine works fine. That's great, best of luck to you and Logitech!

Not for my hard earned $$$. Now I'm out $10 for the shipping and another 5-7 to return it back to them. I should have listened to the many negative reviews from unhappy users before buying this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 112 Old 01-24-2006, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Instead of just ranting, why not post your equipment and what settings you are using? There are a lot of things that can effect the way the Harmony performs like Inter-Key and Inter-Device Delay and repeats.
post #3 of 112 Old 01-24-2006, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expidia
No wonder why harmony sold out to Logitech. Logitech is known to make cheap stuff and this Harmony remote will go great in their product line. It's CR*P IMO.

Just received it today too bad as it was at a good price of $179 from Ecost. But it's worth about $10. Cheap build quality and it doesn't work correctly with my new components.
Spent an hour on the phone with tech support to no avail.

Unit won't save the input when changing from DVD to TV. Had issues right out of box where tech had to re-install firmware.

Avoid this junk remote is what I suggest.

Now I'll hear from all those happy users that say mine works fine. That's great, best of luck to you and Logitech!

Not for my hard earned $$$. Now I'm out $10 for the shipping and another 5-7 to return it back to them. I should have listened to the negative reviews from unhappy users before buying this one.
Interesting that you should say that. I own the Sony DVP NS90V (HDMI), SA 8300HD DVR STB(HDMI), Yamaha HTR, and a Philips 42 inch 9630A. And my 880 works flawlessly on almost the same equipment as you have. :)
post #4 of 112 Old 01-24-2006, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue
Instead of just ranting, why not post your equipment and what settings you are using? There are a lot of things that can effect the way the Harmony performs like Inter-Key and Inter-Device Delay and repeats.
Seems to me a list of my equipment is listed in my signature . . . Oops!

It's my right to rant when I pay $179 for Junk! Maybe it will cause others to think twice before buying the 880.

Instead of critiquing my rant, why not be useful and recommend an alternative remote to me :)
post #5 of 112 Old 01-24-2006, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Jones
Interesting that you should say that. I own the Sony DVP NS90V (HDMI), SA 8300HD DVR STB(HDMI), Yamaha HTR, and a Philips 42 inch 9630A. And my 880 works flawlessly on almost the same equipment as you have. :)
A tip of my hat goes out to you! As I mentioned above, I knew there would be a happy camper out there some where?

But I invested my hour of my time with tech support and my RMA is on the way!
post #6 of 112 Old 01-24-2006, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

There are a lot of things that can effect the way the Harmony performs like Inter-Key and Inter-Device Delay and repeats.[/quote]

Well then they should teach their support people about all that techy stuff, Ya think?
post #7 of 112 Old 01-24-2006, 11:16 PM
Advanced Member

This kind of post just makes me laugh. He's obviously more interested in whinging than actually making it work.
post #8 of 112 Old 01-25-2006, 12:48 AM

I wonder if he works for Pronto or some other opposition mob?
After all the positive reports of the Harmony they are probably worried enough to do something like this.... :-)

Hmm, to the OP - there's a ton of help here if you had asked for it, perhaps you might be better off buying a cheap '6-in-one'....
post #9 of 112 Old 01-25-2006, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Seems to me a list of my equipment is listed in my signature . . . Oops!
- That would be great if I could see your signature. Some of us use the "AVS Mobile" display that shows only the text of the post. It doesn't show the time stamp, signature or any pictures. Want to see what I see? Go to the lower left and choose Mobile. Oops!
post #10 of 112 Old 01-25-2006, 07:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
The Harmony 880 is a good remote but certainly not for everyone which is why it's probably a good idea to buy from a place with a return policy (not eCost). From your original post I can't tell if your most upset with the build quality of the remote, the tech support experience or the total package. If it's the build quality of the remote check out the Universal MX850. Quite frankly, it doesn't look as sexy as the 880 but feels much nicer in the hand. More weight to it, heavier plastic, better build IMO. If tech support has you down sometimes its best to hang up and try again. I have had excellent tech support from logitech, as have others, but, like any company, there are some techs that know the product better then others. Sometimes it's just better to give a few different technicians a try. The remote is certainly capable of doing everything you want it to and since you have no way of getting your $179 back you might as well take a deep breath and give it another shot.

Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 112 Old 01-25-2006, 07:46 AM

Expedia,

I agree with your assessment, and I have purchased about a dozen for installs. The product seemed to work in the beginning, but then the screen fade, charging issues and random lost memory, and slow response problems starting appearing on every unit. I have replaced every unit with a Pronto, which cost me a nice sum and a few days of programming.

I understand there are some fixes for this unit (delay times, repeats, etc,), but why should you have to spend several hours on the phone with tech support trying to work the bugs out? Do you accept the fact that you paid good money for a product with bugs? If your new car needed a few dealer visits and some of your own "tweaking" to make it work would you be happy? Not I (and if your new car faded and wouldn't charge you would be really pissed!). I am a believer in getting what you pay for, and in this case it should be a simple, user friendly remote that is reliable.

All this said, I think the concept of the Harmony is great and the layout very intuitive. They just need to work the flaws out before release. And by the way, although I believe the Pronto series to be far superior, I do not work for any remote firms.

Ben
post #12 of 112 Old 01-25-2006, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Harper
Expedia,

I agree with your assessment, and I have purchased about a dozen for installs. The product seemed to work in the beginning, but then the screen fade, charging issues and random lost memory, and slow response problems starting appearing on every unit. I have replaced every unit with a Pronto, which cost me a nice sum and a few days of programming.

I understand there are some fixes for this unit (delay times, repeats, etc,), but why should you have to spend several hours on the phone with tech support trying to work the bugs out? Do you accept the fact that you paid good money for a product with bugs? If your new car needed a few dealer visits and some of your own "tweaking" to make it work would you be happy? Not I (and if your new car faded and wouldn't charge you would be really pissed!). I am a believer in getting what you pay for, and in this case it should be a simple, user friendly remote that is reliable.

All this said, I think the concept of the Harmony is great and the layout very intuitive. They just need to work the flaws out before release. And by the way, although I believe the Pronto series to be far superior, I do not work for any remote firms.

Ben
Thanks for your courteous reply. I just hung up with Ecost (NEVER BUY FROM ECOST). I stopped buying from them because of their false advertising of FREE shipping and just before you press the confirm button you see they tack on a HANDLING FEE but they think the buying public are morons I guess?

So this time they had the lowball price on Pricegrabber and no handling fee with $1.99 shipping.

Who knew they will only REPLACE the 880 with another 880. So their policy is if the unit does not work right with your system, we will send you the exact same unit that also won't work with my system.

The nice part of the net is one happy buyer tells a few people but now one unhappy buyer has the power to tell MILLIONS.

These hopeless souls at Ecost have no idea of the power of the online consumer to cost them $1000's in lost sales. Buy.com ROCKS!

Ben, you are right on the money as it's a software issue. Still the build quality is cheap JUNK for $179. Yes, the Pronto line is much better but also way over priced (been there done that).
You are right about tech support people too. At least Logitech's people spoke English. When I get the one's from Pakistan I just keep hanging up until I get one that can at least speak broken English :D

So now I'm forced to accept the exact same replacement, but since it will come brand new and in a sealed box, I'll just sell it on Ebay for a $179 with "Buy It Now" and include free shipping.
PM me if anyones interested before I list it the new one once I receive it.

Ecost is well known and I never bothered to look at their return policy. I've never bought from a site that wouldn't take a product back. I never thought Ecost would screw the consumer on returns. Buy.com falls over backwards to keep you coming back as do most sites I've dealt with.

I'm going to enjoy re-posting this experience over the next year every chance I get on other forums and send a copy of each post to Ecost's customer support.
"
Another great site to list bad experiences for consumers that choose not to bend over" for some of the online sellers poor policy's is COMPLAINTS.COM
It's a free service and when one does a search for a bad company like ECOST up pops your complaint alerting other consumers to beware. Complaints.com also sends a copy of your posting to the companies customer support address.

Forums like AVS.com are a great medium for members to show bad products.

The Harmony 880 remote is a buggy product.

Check out these two reviews at the bottom of the page. Wish I read this first:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...onics&v=glance
post #13 of 112 Old 01-25-2006, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

All products have their +'s and -'s. In my limited experience with univeral remotes, IMHO there is no perfect one out there.

So far I like my 880 and feel it is worth the money. I have not had the need to call tech support but when I call warranty regarding the charging issue, I waited less then 5 minutes and within 3 minutes of my conversation they were taking my address and overnighting me a new cradle at no charge of course. The rep even gave me her name and direct number so that if I had any further problems I could contact her.

I really like the remote and am about to pick up a 676 for the living room (the 880 runs my media room).
post #14 of 112 Old 01-25-2006, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryofMayfair
I wonder if he works for Pronto or some other opposition mob?
After all the positive reports of the Harmony they are probably worried enough to do something like this.... :-)

Hmm, to the OP - there's a ton of help here if you had asked for it, perhaps you might be better off buying a cheap '6-in-one'....
I'm not into tweaking as that's what this buggy remote needs. The poster below "Ben" is right on the money with his comments.

I'm very capable of doing what needs to be done but I don't want to for the money I spent and I shouldn't have to ;)

Many here enjoy tweaking and I can understand that. But this remotes software does not work the way it's advertised to.

I've spent way over 5k on my HT setup and no matter what the price of the Harmony 880 is it should work correctly once you've downloaded your devices.

I'd be happy with the Time Warner 8300HD's remote but this too won't accept some of the device codes.

I know a cheap 6 and 1 remote will work but I was willing to spend the money for the 880 which allows for 1 button macros that would simplify viewing for my Wife.

Also notice how fast Harmony's other models are dropping in price on Pricegrabber. Most are going for around $60 now.

But I hate feeding these things batteries (especially ones with color screens) and liked the rechargeable cradle which my Pronto T1000 has.
Pronto is way over priced and it's screen was and still is hard to see.

Thanks for your comments.
post #15 of 112 Old 01-25-2006, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

... dupe
post #16 of 112 Old 01-25-2006, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by remoteshoppe
The Harmony 880 is a good remote but certainly not for everyone which is why it's probably a good idea to buy from a place with a return policy (not eCost). From your original post I can't tell if your most upset with the build quality of the remote, the tech support experience or the total package. If it's the build quality of the remote check out the Universal MX850. Quite frankly, it doesn't look as sexy as the 880 but feels much nicer in the hand. More weight to it, heavier plastic, better build IMO. If tech support has you down sometimes its best to hang up and try again. I have had excellent tech support from logitech, as have others, but, like any company, there are some techs that know the product better then others. Sometimes it's just better to give a few different technicians a try. The remote is certainly capable of doing everything you want it to and since you have no way of getting your $179 back you might as well take a deep breath and give it another shot.
Thx, remote . . . I've responded below to many of your comments. I was upset with the 880's cheap $10 Walmart universal remote feel. But worse that the software is buggy and it does not do what it is advertised to do after downloading your devices.

Sure, there are posters here that could help me tweak it and I appreciate that. But I should not have to go through this as it's a waste of my time.

I don't consider taking the time on this forum alerting other members of the 880's problems a waste of my time. I'm happy to steer people away from the 880.

Some people here are happy with the 880. Great. Some people are also happy spending an entire weekend restoring all their software on their computer when it screws up. I'm not into software tweaking!

To each there own. I'd rather be watching a movie on my new 50 inch plasma than toying around with a buggy expensive remote.
post #17 of 112 Old 01-25-2006, 06:20 PM

WOW!! I have installed about 10 Harmony 880's and have not heard 1 complaint. I have 3 in my house and really like them. They do have a Charging issue on some of them something with the base is not made well. I guess it is just a to each there own. That is why there are 100's of universal remotes available. Sorry to hear you didn't like the remote. I also have a nevo sl which I really like. It is just a bitch to program and setup but I have seen them do some cool things in demos. I am still in the process with that one. Good luck finding a remote for you.
post #18 of 112 Old 01-25-2006, 06:56 PM

Quote:

I know a cheap 6 and 1 remote will work but I was willing to spend the money for the 880 which allows for 1 button macros that would simplify viewing for my Wife.

But I hate feeding these things batteries (especially ones with color screens) and liked the rechargeable cradle which my Pronto T1000 has.
Pronto is way over priced and it's screen was and still is hard to see.

Thanks for your comments.

It's a pity that you don't persevere just a little more with the Harmony as it is the perfect answer to all the above...
I agree with you that it is not perfect out of the box and that the Harmony database is full of holes but it really doesn't take that much pain to set it up properly, especially with the expert help around here....

I must admit that I almost returned mine on the first day or two but now wild horses couldn't drag it away from me - and the best part is that my wife loves it too - it's the first learning remote I have owned that does everything perfectly - after a bit of fine-tuning.

Give it another try and get back here for some help - I bet you won't be disappointed in the end...
post #19 of 112 Old 01-25-2006, 07:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I don't consider taking the time on this forum alerting other members of the 880's problems a waste of my time. I'm happy to steer people away from the 880.

Some people here are happy with the 880. Great. Some people are also happy spending an entire weekend restoring all their software on their computer when it screws up. I'm not into software tweaking!

To each there own. I'd rather be watching a movie on my new 50 inch plasma than toying around with a buggy expensive remote.
I do hope this part wasn't directed to e as I've never said this post was a waste of time. AVS is awesome and I use it whenever I research a new product and try to take both the negative and positive posts all into consideration.

I admit that I am a tweaker but I still had to cut bait on the 880. The Harmony technology has a lot of pros but, as you pointed out, you can get the same features in any of their other products for less than $100.

I'll also add that you did not even mention my biggest pet peeve with the 880 - the color LCD screen. I was very disappointed in the resolution of the screen. It looks like one of my first color cell phones from many years ago and I've seen better screens on $49 flip phones selling now. Other technical issues include:
- Weaker IR than 6xx series
- No Guide functions as in 6xx series. That's right... less features

Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 112 Old 01-25-2006, 07:42 PM

Expidia, it seems to me that your expectations for this remote are unrealistic. For that matter, it's unrealistic for any remote! If you want a remote that can control all your components and also execute macros how do you expect it to do this out of the box everytime without tweaking? It's not possible. It's possible that it may involve minimal configuration for some people to be up and running but that really can't be expected everytime. There are too many combinations of components, TVs, etc. out there for a remote to work as perfectly as you are expecting it to out of the box. I dare you to find a remote that does live up to your expectations. The comment about "been there done that" for the Pronto should be an indication of a pattern. You will be saying that about the 880 as well as the next remote you purchase if your expectations remain the same. I also think it's funny that after you blast this remote you then ask for somebody to PM you about buying your replacement 880... "I think this remote stinks. So, can I unload it on anybody here?" :)

I too would like to have the "perfect remote" for my $180 but it doesn't exist. There will always be some kind of compromise, some feature that works better with the original manufacturer remote that the universal remote is not as good at handling. Or, like the 880, there will be quirks related to it's software and web-based configuration. The sooner you learn the quirks and workarounds for the product you have, the sooner you will have it working as well as it can for your environment (which will never be perfect).
post #21 of 112 Old 01-25-2006, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspec
WOW!! I have installed about 10 Harmony 880's and have not heard 1 complaint. I have 3 in my house and really like them. They do have a Charging issue on some of them something with the base is not made well. I guess it is just a to each there own. That is why there are 100's of universal remotes available. Sorry to hear you didn't like the remote. I also have a nevo sl which I really like. It is just a bitch to program and setup but I have seen them do some cool things in demos. I am still in the process with that one. Good luck finding a remote for you.
Thx Jspec,
My Pronto 1000 did all the 880 does macro-wise and it's at least 5 years old. The 880 looks good on paper and one would think 5 years later the universal remote world would have made some better improvements to the technology.

I'll search around some more at remotecentral.com for some other alternatives.
post #22 of 112 Old 01-25-2006, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Thx Jspec,
My Pronto 1000 did all the 880 does macro-wise and it's at least 5 years old. The 880 looks good on paper and one would think 5 years later the universal remote world would have made some better improvements to the technology.
I also had (actually, I still have it but don't use it) a Pronto TS1000 remote. It's a great remote. It does everything I ever wanted it to do. In the end, the reason I'm not using it (and now have an 880) is because I found that I "need" tactile feedback when using a remote. I just could never get used to the idea of not being able to feel the buttons on the remote and having to look at the screen to do anything. I love the seemingly endless configurability of the Pronto, however.
post #23 of 112 Old 01-25-2006, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm not into tweaking as that's what this buggy remote needs. The poster below "Ben" is right on the money with his comments.
Now Ive heard it all....your not into tweaking but you have a T1000? So you spend weeks to "tweak" that remote vs giving harmony 2 hrs. Yeah that makes alot of sense.
post #24 of 112 Old 01-25-2006, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagouar
Now Ive heard it all....your not into tweaking but you have a T1000? So you spend weeks to "tweak" that remote vs giving harmony 2 hrs. Yeah that makes alot of sense.
Agreed! To NOT tweak the Pronto would mean NOT getting your money's worth (or the complete opposite viewpoint of Expidia where not needing to tweak means getting your money's worth). :)

I also love the "One man can make a difference Michael" approach he is taking with his eCost.com rant. It will surely mean financial ruin for eCost.com. :)
post #25 of 112 Old 01-25-2006, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFlight
Expidia, it seems to me that your expectations for this remote are unrealistic. For that matter, it's unrealistic for any remote! If you want a remote that can control all your components and also execute macros how do you expect it to do this out of the box everytime without tweaking?

Expidia says: The 880 is a remote that you take out of the box and first go directly to their website and download your component codes. Tweaking a little is not my beef. I agree, one can't expect the remote to know which input you are running your DVD on and which one your HDMI is on (my Panny has 6 inputs). But the remote has a help key which is supposed to allow the remote to learn which input and what feature is not working correctly. That was my main problem. It wouldn't hold the settings once learned. Tech support had me re-install the firmware and still no cigar. Also the remote keeps re-booting. And as others have complained the cradle to remote contacts are of poor design.

The issues I just noted are too much of a concern for me to deal with let alone the poor newbie who is shelling out $179 to make their system a little easier to control.

It's possible that it may involve minimal configuration for some people to be up and running but that really can't be expected everytime. There are too many combinations of components, TVs, etc. out there for a remote to work as perfectly as you are expecting it to out of the box.

Expidia says: I only have 3 components for the 880 to deal with as the setup is the one in my bedroom. A TV, A DVD and the Time Warner DVR.

I don't even want to think about ever trying to configure the 880 for my livingroom where I have a much more involved and bigger setup.

I almost ordered three 880's at the same time, because I had high hopes for it. I was going to get the 3rd one as a gift for my Son.

I dare you to find a remote that does live up to your expectations. The comment about "been there done that" for the Pronto should be an indication of a pattern. You will be saying that about the 880 as well as the next remote you purchase if your expectations remain the same. I also think it's funny that after you blast this remote you then ask for somebody to PM you about buying your replacement 880... "I think this remote stinks. So, can I unload it on anybody here?" :)

Expidia says, hey there are so many happy 880 users here, I thought I could make one even happier to buy a brand new 880 for another room. Does this make me a bad person :confused:

I too would like to have the "perfect remote" for my $180 but it doesn't exist. There will always be some kind of compromise, some feature that works better with the original manufacturer remote that the universal remote is not as good at handling. Or, like the 880, there will be quirks related to it's software and web-based configuration. The sooner you learn the quirks and workarounds for the product you have, the sooner you will have it working as well as it can for your environment (which will never be perfect).
There is a sucker born every minute I guess, not that you're a sucker . . . But you may enjoy screwing around with it, I don't. I just wanted it to do what the box and reviews say it does. An hour later, after tech support could not get it working goes way beyond "a little tweaking", as you say.

Many members here are techy by nature and enjoy the thrill of the "tweak" I don't.
Same thing happened to me and many others when we purchased the HDMI switch from Monoprice. Many are happy but many have returned the switches because they don't work as advertised. I'm waiting for new ones to come in.
I "tweaked" around with that switch for an hour and "with my system" it did not work correctly.

Maybe I'm just the type that wants a product to work as advertised for my money. I don't think that's being overly picky.

From your post it does not jump out at me that you "actually" own an 880 yourself, because your first statement was that I expected I could get this remote to control my 3 components and use macros to do things like turn the components on and off and hold it's learned setting in it's memory . . .

Yes, that's EXACTLY what I expected it to do. Thats exactly what Harmony says it does.

Thx for your comments though, I agree in what your trying to point out to me but I must agree to disagree on how the 880 should have worked after an hour of tweaking.

I think you are going to see many unhappy users from my limited experience with the 880. The software clearly needs correcting.

Keep in mind I can speak from the experience of owning the Pronto T1000 for something like 5 years. Battery life out of charging cradle is about one month and I'm still on the original battery. But I never like it's squarish awkward form factor, hard to read screen and it does take a lot of tweaking to get your macros down. You wind up becoming a mini programmer getting it to work with all components.

This is why I didn't want another Pronto even if the newer versions are better now. The 880 sounded like it would fit my needs perfectly. I was wrong, so I'll look else where for an alternative.

Did I mention I have this "brand new" 880 in box with free delivery, you sound like it might be pefect for you ;)
post #26 of 112 Old 01-25-2006, 08:40 PM
web
Advanced Member

I have used the same 880 almost since the first week it was released and no problems with charging, functionality, etc. It works so well that now my wife will actually use it to experience all of the components in the viewing room:

Mitsubishi 65813
Motorola 6412 HD DVR (Comcast)
HK 635 receiver
Denon 2910 DVD (digital and analog connections: DVD and CD)
7.1 speaker configuration

At one point, last fall I had three 6412 HD DVRs (component, DVI, HDMI) due to my travel schedule and the DVR's lack of disk space (120 GB per unit). It took less than five minutes to program the 880 to independently control each of the additional DVRs (Cable TV 1, Cable TV 2, and Cable TV 3). I have spent less than 30 minutes total programming the 880 to control my components in all the combinations that they are used in.

I have recommended this unit to multiple friends who have purchased it with similar experience to mine. In multiple cases, the response was "my wife actually uses and likes it!". No "tweaking" or "techie-ness" has been required.

Sorry about your bad experience, but do not generalize your experience to be representative of the majority of 880 owners. It is but a data point.

web
post #27 of 112 Old 01-25-2006, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagouar
Now Ive heard it all....your not into tweaking but you have a T1000? So you spend weeks to "tweak" that remote vs giving harmony 2 hrs. Yeah that makes a lot of sense.
What part of my comment don't you understand? I bought the Pronto 5 years ago as it was leading edge technology macro-wise at the time and I HATED to do all the tweaking it took to get it working properly. It probably took me a year !!!!

NO, I don't want to ever have to go through that again.

That's why the 880 had so much appeal to me, download your components and you're ready to go.

Well for me, that's not the way it went . . . :eek:

And to top it off, those SLIMEBAGS at Ecost will only send me another one that won't work with my system.

Ya ya, let's hear now from all you genius's out there that will comment back with "I should have read their return policy before I bought" . . . No Sh*t Sherlock :p . . . . Now you tell me :)
post #28 of 112 Old 01-25-2006, 08:47 PM

Quote:
The issues I just noted are too much of a concern for me to deal with let alone the poor newbie who is shelling out $179 to make their system a little easier to control.
I don't think a newbie is shelling out $179 for a remote. I can't imagine anybody shelling out that much (or more) for a remote and not understanding that it's going to require some time to configure and tweak. Things that don't require a lot of time to configure and tweak are things that are not very configurable or tweakable in the first place. To have seemingly endless configuration possibilities (to use the Pronto as an example) means tons of work programming (like you mentioned). The 880 doesn't require near as much work because it isn't near as powerful but it still requires work to get it to do what you want it to do.

Quote:
Expidia says: I only have 3 components for the 880 to deal with as the setup is the one in my bedroom. A TV, A DVD and the Time Warner DVR.

I don't even want to think about ever trying to configure the 880 for my livingroom where I have a much more involved and bigger setup.
I wasn't talking about how many components "you" have. I was talking about all the tens of thousands of components in existence that this thing can work with along with the endless combinations of these components being used together. No remote is going to handle that without some configuration. 1 hour of tweaking for a remote like this hardly seems sufficient. BTW, I do have the Harmony 880 (even though you don't think I do for some reason). See my signature for some of the stuff I'm controlling with my 880 which I just bought last week (not everything is listed because AVS limits signature size). I've probably spent a few hours so far on configuring the 880. I'm not done yet, but I'm getting there.

Quote:
Maybe I'm just the type that wants a product to work as advertised for my money. I don't think that's being overly picky.
I guess it depends on one's interpretation of the advertising. Although, I never read the advertising as meaning I can rip open the box, do a quick software update via the website and I'm up and running in 15 minutes. As already stated, 1 hour is nothing for a remote like this! To only spend 1 hour configuring a remote like this means you've hardly got to the point of really knowing what it can and can't do which means not really being qualified to make a statement that it's a piece of junk.
post #29 of 112 Old 01-25-2006, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

[quote=Jspec]WOW!! I have installed about 10 Harmony 880's and have not heard 1 complaint.
Well chalk up your 2nd complaint :)

With the sudden buying spree of flat screens, who'd of believed people would be spending three to four thousand a pop on a TV :eek:

I never thought I'd pay 4 grand for a TV! So my guess is with the advent of all these home theaters there will be a rush to market inexpensive universal remotes just like the 880. Because family members are going to need easy to use remotes, not a table of a 1/2 dozen remotes . . . that table of remotes went old school when the Pronto was first introduced.

I'm sure some of Harmony's other remotes might work for me but I wouldn't buy a remote with a color screen with out a charging cradle.

Logitech is going to be forced to correct the 880's software issues soon or the 880 will be selling for $60 bucks as many of Harmony's other models are now selling for . . . IMO!
post #30 of 112 Old 01-25-2006, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue
- That would be great if I could see your signature. Some of us use the "AVS Mobile" display that shows only the text of the post. It doesn't show the time stamp, signature or any pictures. Want to see what I see? Go to the lower left and choose Mobile. Oops!
Like I knew you were posting on your mobile device :p
Closed Thread Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page