Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 6276 Old 06-08-2006, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolausp View Post

Thanks, I'll check it out. Funny how I have an idea for something, and discover there is a product for it.

So - the Harmony 880 works well with this x10 IR-543 console?

works great with my Air Conditioner (samsung) lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 6276 Old 06-08-2006, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorton1 View Post

Im sure this has been coverd but will the 880 control the Lutron Maestro IR lights basically turn them up and down and incorporate them into a macro so it will dim them when i push play on the dvd player?
Thanks

You can definitely get them to dim when you press the "watch DVD" activity. Getting them to dim when you press "play" is harder.
post #273 of 6276 Old 06-08-2006, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:

Does anybody know if there is a way to get the 880 to turn on/off a light using an x10 setup? If that's not possible, is there some other IR adapter or something I can use to get it to control my lights? I've read through all 9 pages before posting this, but didn't see anything about x10 in here.

Thanks!

Are you trying to do a scene or control one light? You'll need the IR543 for sure. Works great. If you're looking at trying to control more than one light with the touch of a button or control the light scenes when you hit pause or play, then that's a little different.

Bud
post #274 of 6276 Old 06-08-2006, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post

You can definitely get them to dim when you press the "watch DVD" activity. Getting them to dim when you press "play" is harder.

Here's what I did to manage my scenes, which includes scenes for play and pause.

I used a Powelinc to define triggers. Very easy to set up. I then send the trigger via the 880 -> IR543 that sends the X10 trigger to the powelinc, which controls the lights. For play and pause, I defined the H880 to issue a trigger call when you hit play or pause. Works well.

I got a lot of questions on this in my theater construction thread, so I went and created this diagram. I do have a wall controller for stuff as well, but you can ignore that piece, its optional.

http://images16.fotki.com/v289/photo...control-vi.jpg

Bud
post #275 of 6276 Old 06-08-2006, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks, I'll check it out. Funny how I have an idea for something, and discover there is a product for it.

So - the Harmony 880 works well with this x10 IR-543 console?

I set my 880 up yesterday to control all my HT lights with the IR-543; no problems. I'd been using an HTM MX-700 remote for years and thought I'd give the 880 a try; I really like it so far.
post #276 of 6276 Old 06-08-2006, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrblack View Post

Any HK AVR635 owners or Samsung HL-SxxxxW owners have luck using the Harmony 880?

I have the HK AVR330 - not sure the differences from the 635 but it works great with the 880.
post #277 of 6276 Old 06-08-2006, 06:20 PM

I didn't read the whole thread but man...

I like my harmony 880 quite a bit so far... but it seems impossible to order the LCD buttons the way I like them. Do the LCD buttons seem to have a mind of their own for anyone else?

edit: answered my own question... basically reordering the LCD sucks. On a $250 remote you'd think they would address this issue...
post #278 of 6276 Old 06-09-2006, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by decktard View Post

I didn't read the whole thread but man...

I like my harmony 880 quite a bit so far... but it seems impossible to order the LCD buttons the way I like them. Do the LCD buttons seem to have a mind of their own for anyone else?

edit: answered my own question... basically reordering the LCD sucks. On a $250 remote you'd think they would address this issue...

Agreed!

they show up this way:
1 2
3 4
5 6
7 8
They need a WYSIWYG for the LCD...
post #279 of 6276 Old 06-09-2006, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan007 View Post

Agreed!

they show up this way:
1 2
3 4
5 6
7 8
They need a WYSIWYG for the LCD...

Yeah... seems to be the case. I'd love some better options for the LCD screen. I mean... I have it set up reasonably ok so far but it could be better.

I'd urge you folks to send a comment or two to Logitech about this. I'd love to see it in a software version. There is a comments link right on your Harmony web page.
post #280 of 6276 Old 06-09-2006, 11:29 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBecker View Post

First, my equipment...
Pioneer 59txi Receiver, Monoprice 5in/1 out HDMI switcher, Dish 622 HD receiver (HDMI), Pioneer 79avi DVD player (HDMI video to HDMI switcher, i-Link audio through receiver), Sony XBR 960 TV (HDMI input used)

I can't for the life of me figure out how to do these two things:

1) I want to add a PVR selection on the activity "Watch PVR" so that I can directly access PVR recorded shows from the main screen without scrolling through 3 or 4 screens to get to it. I had it on the setup for my 721 (now retired to another room), but I can't get it on this. Right now on that screen are "aspect" (TV) and Effects (or something like that dealing with receiver sound field - doesn't seem to work), and A and B -- I have no idea what those are for... On the 721 I successfully added a PVR item to that initial screen, but I can't find how to do it...

2) I have the 79AVI DVD player playing video on HDMI and audio on i-Link on the receiver, and it won't switch right away. The receiver stays on the SAT input. It flashes "Check Link" but won't make the link until I hit the Help button on the 880. The first thing it tries usualy makes the i-Link connection on the receiver, but I have to go through the help screen every time.

I'm wondering if the order is wrong (receiver first then DVD player) or if there are timing or repeat issues with i-Link? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Larry

... I'm up and running PERFECTLY!

For issue 1) czzer got me pointed in the right direction to add a command to the main screen (I was working on the device screen rather than the activities screen), and for issue 2) a Harmony level 2 tech added some delay in my Watch DVD activity so the receiver would have time to recognize the i-Link command. I think he added another i-Link command at the end of it, too. 1.2 sec delay, I think.

THIS IS SO COOL!!!

Larry
post #281 of 6276 Old 06-09-2006, 12:25 PM

Ok... 2 more quick questions for you folks...

1) How long does the remote seem to last with average use (not while programming). Of course I'll toss it on the base, however; there will be nights where I forget to... how many days worth of sitting off the base will it take?

2) Mine kinda makes a sound like there is something small rattling around when I move it. It sounds like it is coming from the ir/usb side of the remote. My 2 best guesses are it is either a) the activity/help buttons making that sound or b) the sensor to tell if the remote has been moved. Do I have a remote with something broken in it or is this normal?
post #282 of 6276 Old 06-09-2006, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I have an 890 and get at least a week of use per charge. I will put it on the charger when I get to the last bar... which I have not seen turn red yet. I have no idea if the RF uses more or less battery though.

2) Mine doesn't make that sound... I'd contact Logitech and get a new one.
post #283 of 6276 Old 06-09-2006, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Decktard, i get about a week on a charge. As with JayMan, I wait until it shows one bar. I'm guessing, since I normally put it the charger when I go to bed, but I think it takes about 2-hours to charge completely.

Regarding the noise, I think I read somewhere that that's the motion sensor that activates the screen when you pick it up or tilt it. You can always call Harmony to find out if the sound indicates a problem.
post #284 of 6276 Old 06-09-2006, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

Regarding the noise, I think I read somewhere that that's the motion sensor that activates the screen when you pick it up or tilt it. You can always call Harmony to find out if the sound indicates a problem.

Mine makes that noise as well. I'm pretty sure that OldCodger is right. It's a level switch....
post #285 of 6276 Old 06-09-2006, 02:29 PM

Mine makes the same sound. I assumed that it was the motion/tilt sensor.
post #286 of 6276 Old 06-09-2006, 03:29 PM

As mentioned above, that sound is indeed the tilt sensor. It's normal and documented by Harmony's FAQs page. Got mine from the Dell $109 deal and loving it.

I had to rearrange and add some inputs for my receiver, Pioneer Elite VSX-74TXVi. Is it always that far off?
post #287 of 6276 Old 06-10-2006, 11:35 AM

i got the sound too! o noes! I assumed the same tho, it was for the motion sensor
post #288 of 6276 Old 06-10-2006, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decktard View Post

Ok... 2 more quick questions for you folks...

1) How long does the remote seem to last with average use (not while programming). Of course I'll toss it on the base, however; there will be nights where I forget to... how many days worth of sitting off the base will it take?

It was off the charger for about 30 hours and one bar was down. so 2/3 full. I did updates and clicked a lot of buttons during that time

not to bad. I think it says in the documentation about 7 days
post #289 of 6276 Old 06-10-2006, 03:44 PM

trying to set mine up now - when it asks what input I use for DVD & TV it only goes up to Video 3 - Meanwhile I have 8 video inputs and the 2 HDMI inputs don't start until input 4 - how can I fix this? thanks.

OK, I figured that out - damn this thing is slow though - that's my next project....
post #290 of 6276 Old 06-10-2006, 07:29 PM

My inputs for the receiver we're incomplete also. You have to adjust the inputs and add all inputs, with their correct order. Pick any input to start, and list them in the same order and exact naming convention.

I'm assuming your inputs are toggled using a single input button. You can also change the input delays to speed it up. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked2023 View Post

trying to set mine up now - when it asks what input I use for DVD & TV it only goes up to Video 3 - Meanwhile I have 8 video inputs and the 2 HDMI inputs don't start until input 4 - how can I fix this? thanks.

OK, I figured that out - damn this thing is slow though - that's my next project....

post #291 of 6276 Old 06-10-2006, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by anger View Post

It was off the charger for about 30 hours and one bar was down. so 2/3 full. I did updates and clicked a lot of buttons during that time

not to bad. I think it says in the documentation about 7 days

I think my battery must be bad. It doesn't seem to hold a charge for more then a few days. It also does not keep the time that well either. I'll set it, and then a day or so later it is no longer the correct day or time.

Has anyone had their remote lock up on them at all? My seems to freeze now and then. Only thing to do is to take out the battery and put it back in.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #292 of 6276 Old 06-10-2006, 11:15 PM

any recommendations on delay times here? my panny has to scroll though like five inputs to make a change to dvd or tivo and it takes forever - any ideas? thanks.
post #293 of 6276 Old 06-11-2006, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post

I think my battery must be bad. It doesn't seem to hold a charge for more then a few days. It also does not keep the time that well either. I'll set it, and then a day or so later it is no longer the correct day or time.

Has anyone had their remote lock up on them at all? My seems to freeze now and then. Only thing to do is to take out the battery and put it back in.

hmm ya i get better battery performance than that, no lock up's here, except when i accidentaly unplugged the USB cable during an update...

then again I have only had mine 6 days. You might try a new battery and just keep the reciept. If it does or doesnt fix the problem take the battery back. Then RMA either the remote or the battery which ever is defective.

Or if you got a buddy that has one, maybe he'd be willing to swap batterys for a day or 2 There are now 2 other guys here at work that has the same 880 as me, lol
post #294 of 6276 Old 06-11-2006, 05:52 AM

Quote:

if you call logitech, they can add a profile for your television if all the inputs arent there to chose from.

ya pretty much the second thing i did was set all my delays to 0ms, which works great for everything.
post #295 of 6276 Old 06-11-2006, 06:46 AM

Read the sticky post "Harmony Slow Response" above. For my Pioneer receiver, I have it set to 200ms input delay, and 2 repeats. Its much faster than originally which defaulted to over 500ms input delay. I might even lower my numbers just to tweak it a little more.

Quote:

any recommendations on delay times here? my panny has to scroll though like five inputs to make a change to dvd or tivo and it takes forever - any ideas? thanks.

post #296 of 6276 Old 06-11-2006, 09:50 AM

OK, things are going smoothly but I just have a couple more questions -

1. When I want to power up the system, it defaults to whatever video input it was last on. For example - If I come in and want to power up, I hit, Watch Tivo, but if the last thing I watech before was a dvd, it stays on that input - is there a way to fix this?

2. On Tivo, this first page screen (DTV HD version) has a several letter options on it (A,B,E) what are these? Meanwhile, the valuable aspect key gets pushed to page two.

thanks people!
post #297 of 6276 Old 06-11-2006, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post

The battery compartment allows for the battery to float away from the contacts. Put some electrical tape or something on the bottom of the battery to make a tighter fit.

Cheers
post #298 of 6276 Old 06-11-2006, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoWorm View Post

The battery compartment allows for the battery to float away from the contacts. Put some electrical tape or something on the bottom of the battery to make a tighter fit.

Cheers

Or use some small pieces of paper to act as a shim between the bottom of the battery and the battery compartment.
post #299 of 6276 Old 06-11-2006, 07:04 PM

Great forum! Just joined to share my experience and learn more...

I bought a Harmony 880 (from $109 DELL deal) and it was delivered few days ago. First, I had the "loose battery" problem, once I saw one "red bar" after an overnight charge. Yes, the base is OK, it is the battery and the charging pins in the housing. I put two layers of felt tape at the bottom of the battery and it works fine now....

Unfortunately, I also seem to have the "washed out" screen problem. Mainly the right top corner of the screen (down to half of the right side) is more "brighter" than the rest. It is very obvious if I am on a completely blue screen. I saw pictures in this thread showing an example of this problem, and mine looks the same. I know that some 880s have this problem and I will wait for a while to call in and get a replacement (to be sure that the new one is better), since this does not effect the functionality.

However, the battery life concerns me. The remote was on the cradle all night. Got 3 bars with no flashing in the morning. With some occasional use and no updating (or connection to the computer), now I have two bars after about 8 hours. Note that I removed the battery and put it back in to see if that would do anything to do screen problem (unfortuantely, nothing). Has anybody else experienced a similar battery problem?

Lastly the clock was wrong this afternoon (it was about 5 hours late). Does this have anything to do with the reboot? If not, can I blame the battery?

It is somewhat concerning that I have to put a piece of tape for battery to charge, have a "defective" LCD and a "possibly problematic" battery all during the first 3 days of ownersip of a remote with $250 MSRP. I like the remote and I am confident that Logitech will replace it when I call.... Just wanted to share.

Now back to more customization
post #300 of 6276 Old 06-11-2006, 07:38 PM

1. When you're in "Adjust Inputs" under "More Options" for your receiver, there is a question that asks you to power off and back on, what input comes on......last input when turned off? This should take care of your problem. Also, did you make sure your input list is named exactly the same, and in same order.

2. Others can answer, as I don't have Tivo and not familiar with the button scheme.

Enjoy your 880, I sure am. Go out and get a Lutron Maestro IR dimmer, and incorporate it into your TV and DVD activities. Adds a really "cool" factor.

Quote:

OK, things are going smoothly but I just have a couple more questions -

1. When I want to power up the system, it defaults to whatever video input it was last on. For example - If I come in and want to power up, I hit, Watch Tivo, but if the last thing I watech before was a dvd, it stays on that input - is there a way to fix this?

2. On Tivo, this first page screen (DTV HD version) has a several letter options on it (A,B,E) what are these? Meanwhile, the valuable aspect key gets pushed to page two.

thanks people!

Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page