Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by miked2023 View Post

OK, things are going smoothly but I just have a couple more questions -

1. When I want to power up the system, it defaults to whatever video input it was last on. For example - If I come in and want to power up, I hit, Watch Tivo, but if the last thing I watech before was a dvd, it stays on that input - is there a way to fix this?

2. On Tivo, this first page screen (DTV HD version) has a several letter options on it (A,B,E) what are these? Meanwhile, the valuable aspect key gets pushed to page two.

thanks people!

1. It sounds like you need to increase the Power On Delay for your TV(Device -> More options -> Adjust delays). It is sending the input select command before the TV is ready to receive it.

2. For the "Watch Tivo" activity, select "Customize", then "Change behaviour of buttons" you can add/change/delete commands here as required. LCD buttons are down the bottom of the page.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 6265 Old 06-12-2006, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I'm just getting my Harmony 880 legs under me. So far I'm loving it. I haven't done much tweaking. I'm in the, if it's working don't fix it group. I have a question regarding charging the battery. We'll generally only use the remote in the evenings. I've notice that we only use one bar of power. At the end of the evening I've been putting the remote on it's base and recharging the battery for the next days use. Will this hurt the battery? Should we be draining the battery before I recharge it?

Thanks.

Ohdee!
post #303 of 6265 Old 06-12-2006, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

I don't think it hurts to put it on charger each night, but if you read Faqs, it is explained how you fix a battery that eventually gets a short life and needs charging more often then it used to in the past.
post #304 of 6265 Old 06-12-2006, 11:21 AM

My 880 is finally fairly happy controlling:

1. Phillips TV (32PT5441)
2. TiVo Series 1 (Sony)
3. TiVo Series 2 (TiVo)
4. Toshiba RS-TX20 (TiVo/DVD)
5. Floor fan

I have two questions:

Is there any way to assign 'start' buttons to an activity? I have activities for each of the three TiVos for TV watching. I would like, when the activity starts for the TiVo to be switched to the TiVo Central screen. Is that possible?

Anyone had any luck running a Sharp CV-P10LC portable A/C? Harmony does not know about it and is not so happy learning about it... apparently.

Thanks, Susan

Susan Dennis
Seattle, WA
http://susandennis.com
post #305 of 6265 Old 06-12-2006, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susandennis View Post

My 880 is finally fairly happy controlling:

1. Phillips TV (32PT5441)
2. TiVo Series 1 (Sony)
3. TiVo Series 2 (TiVo)
4. Toshiba RS-TX20 (TiVo/DVD)
5. Floor fan

I have two questions:

Is there any way to assign 'start' buttons to an activity? I have activities for each of the three TiVos for TV watching. I would like, when the activity starts for the TiVo to be switched to the TiVo Central screen. Is that possible?

Anyone had any luck running a Sharp CV-P10LC portable A/C? Harmony does not know about it and is not so happy learning about it... apparently.

Thanks, Susan

There is, dig around in the customize activity, I think you have to run the setup wizard through again.
post #306 of 6265 Old 06-12-2006, 12:07 PM

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive wall light switch replacement that I can control with my 880? I'd also like to be able to turn on my bias light. Switched ac plug?
post #307 of 6265 Old 06-12-2006, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmltok View Post

There is, dig around in the customize activity, I think you have to run the setup wizard through again.

And, right you were! Thanks... I did run the setup and had to dig deep but I found it. One TiVo click is changing all the TiVos (instead of on the one assigned to that activity) to the TiVo Central page but I can live with that.

Thanks.

Susan Dennis
Seattle, WA
post #308 of 6265 Old 06-12-2006, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by czzer View Post

1. It sounds like you need to increase the Power On Delay for your TV(Device -> More options -> Adjust delays). It is sending the input select command before the TV is ready to receive it.

2. For the "Watch Tivo" activity, select "Customize", then "Change behaviour of buttons" you can add/change/delete commands here as required. LCD buttons are down the bottom of the page.

Thank you very much - issue #1 solved --- I'm still a little confused with issue #2. How do you delete the buttons you don't use exactly? I went to the "Change behaviour of buttons" but it's like three pages of remote stuff that I found perplexing. Also, can you configure the main LCD screen to display your favorite buttons in any order you like?

thanks again - huge help for a Noob here.
post #309 of 6265 Old 06-12-2006, 11:11 PM

Quote:

Firstly, select device mode for your DVD player and see if there are discrete commands listed for "Power on" and "Power Off". If there are(and they work...check them first), go to your home page and select "More options" for the DVD player, then "Adjust power settings". Tell it you have seperate commands for on and off, then set them as the discretes you found earlier.

If there are no discrete power commands you could set the Power on command as the "Play" command. This works as a kind of discrete for most players.

Alternatively, when you put a disk in the player, press the "Power" button on the player instead of the close button. This will at least put it back in synch with the remote.

I'm having this same issue and am a little confused by the above advice. What are discrete commands? To be clear what I want to do - I like to get up and turn on the dvd player, put in a dvd, and then switch to WATCH DVD. Unfortunately, this turns the dvd off when it's already on. I'd still like it to turn off though when I'm done with everything. Thank you.
post #310 of 6265 Old 06-13-2006, 01:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thank you very much - issue #1 solved --- I'm still a little confused with issue #2. How do you delete the buttons you don't use exactly? I went to the "Change behaviour of buttons" but it's like three pages of remote stuff that I found perplexing. Also, can you configure the main LCD screen to display your favorite buttons in any order you like?

thanks again - huge help for a Noob here.

On the "Change behaviour of buttons" page you should have 2 sections. The top section is for the "Hard" buttons on the remote...buttons like "PLay", "menu" etc.
The bottom section is for the LCD "soft" buttons. These are the commands that are listed in the LCD for the given activity. The first column is the label that appears on the LCD screen, and the remaining columns are the functions that are assigned to that label/button. These functions are grouped by the device the command is to be sent to. Note you can have one button send commands to multiple devices.

To delete an LCD button, just delete its label in the first column.

You can re-order the LCD commands just by re-typing the labels in the order you want, and selecting the appropriate commands from the drop-down menus. Note that commands will always be grouped by device, so you can't reorder exactly as you want...hopefully Logitech will change this in the future.

For your second question, a discrete is a command that only does the action intended. ie a discrete "Power On" command will turn the device on if it is off, but will have no effect if the device is already on.

In your case look through the device mode commands for something like "PowerOn" and "PowerOff" (as opposed to "PowerToggle"). If these commands exist(and work properly) you can tell the remote to send these commands with the "Power Options" setup.

If you don't have discrete power commands, you can sometimes make up your own discretes by assigning "Play" as the power on command, and "Play" followed by "PowerToggle" as the power off command. This depends on your DVD player...only way to find out is to try.

Failing this, your best bet is to press the power button on the DVD player after you have loaded the disk, so the player is off when you press the "Watch DVD" button.
post #311 of 6265 Old 06-13-2006, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone have a DirecTIVO hooked up with the 880? How did you set it up? I have a philips DSR-6000 and a Samsung SIR-S4040R.

As it is now I have them set up as satalite recievers with TIVO commands. But I have to block the IR with something on one reciever to avoid controlling both at the same time. Any recomendations?

------------------------------------
post #312 of 6265 Old 06-13-2006, 07:47 PM

Quote:

On the "Change behaviour of buttons" page you should have 2 sections. The top section is for the "Hard" buttons on the remote...buttons like "PLay", "menu" etc.
The bottom section is for the LCD "soft" buttons. These are the commands that are listed in the LCD for the given activity. The first column is the label that appears on the LCD screen, and the remaining columns are the functions that are assigned to that label/button. These functions are grouped by the device the command is to be sent to. Note you can have one button send commands to multiple devices.

To delete an LCD button, just delete its label in the first column.

You can re-order the LCD commands just by re-typing the labels in the order you want, and selecting the appropriate commands from the drop-down menus. Note that commands will always be grouped by device, so you can't reorder exactly as you want...hopefully Logitech will change this in the future.

For your second question, a discrete is a command that only does the action intended. ie a discrete "Power On" command will turn the device on if it is off, but will have no effect if the device is already on.

In your case look through the device mode commands for something like "PowerOn" and "PowerOff" (as opposed to "PowerToggle"). If these commands exist(and work properly) you can tell the remote to send these commands with the "Power Options" setup.

If you don't have discrete power commands, you can sometimes make up your own discretes by assigning "Play" as the power on command, and "Play" followed by "PowerToggle" as the power off command. This depends on your DVD player...only way to find out is to try.

Failing this, your best bet is to press the power button on the DVD player after you have loaded the disk, so the player is off when you press the "Watch DVD" button.

czzer - if you're ever in LA I owe you a few beers for sure. I didn't see any discrete commands for my DVD player (Oppo971H) and since the power button on my DVD remote does not turn on my player - I assume option two won't work. I guess I'll live with it and do as you suggested with option #3

As far as removing buttons - thank you for explaining - I get it - but of course there's as hitch - when I'm watching Tivo - live tv, etc - it's a whole different set of buttons on the LCD display vs. when I go into the actual satellite device. Unfortunately, when I login to the device mode in logitech for the Tivo, it goes to the device buttons, not the default buttons that show up when I'm watching live TV. I don't know how to find them, therefore, can't change them. Do I need to setup a separate watch TV activity? thanks again for you detailed responses.
post #313 of 6265 Old 06-13-2006, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaadams View Post

Does anyone have a DirecTIVO hooked up with the 880? How did you set it up? I have a philips DSR-6000 and a Samsung SIR-S4040R.

As it is now I have them set up as satalite recievers with TIVO commands. But I have to block the IR with something on one reciever to avoid controlling both at the same time. Any recomendations?

You'll need the original remotes, and change the remote address's on each unit.
The default is "0" which is the universal TiVo remote code,
change one of them to "1" and the other to "2".
The owners manual tells you how to do this, can't remember where, but it's towards the back I think.

Then you'll need to set the code in the 880,
do a search on the Harmony page for setting a TiVo remote code,
it'll have you aim each original remote at the end of the 880 and push 3 buttons to set each code.

I have mine controlling 3 different TiVo's independently, a standalone, a DirecTV R10 and a DirecTV HR10-250.

Jerry

I don't just watch HD-TV, I make it happen.
post #314 of 6265 Old 06-13-2006, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

czzer - if you're ever in LA I owe you a few beers for sure. I didn't see any discrete commands for my DVD player (Oppo971H) and since the power button on my DVD remote does not turn on my player - I assume option two won't work. I guess I'll live with it and do as you suggested with option #3

As far as removing buttons - thank you for explaining - I get it - but of course there's as hitch - when I'm watching Tivo - live tv, etc - it's a whole different set of buttons on the LCD display vs. when I go into the actual satellite device. Unfortunately, when I login to the device mode in logitech for the Tivo, it goes to the device buttons, not the default buttons that show up when I'm watching live TV. I don't know how to find them, therefore, can't change them. Do I need to setup a separate watch TV activity? thanks again for you detailed responses.

As you have discovered, the device mode button assignments are completely different to activity mode assignments. To change device mode assignments select "More options" for the device on your home page, then "Customize device buttons"

However, you shouldn't need to use device mode, except on very rare occasions where you need access to some rarely used command.

You should set up as many activities as you need to cover every situation you can think of. ie in your case you could have a "Watch Tivo" activity as well as a "Watch Satellite" activity. Just set up the second activity as a "Watch TV" type activity and the website will call it "Watch TV2". You can then rename both activities form the link on the "More options" page for each activity.

You can then set up the custom buttons differently on each of the activities(although some commands might get "copied" to the new activity....you can't do much about this at the moment unfortunately).
post #315 of 6265 Old 06-13-2006, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan007 View Post

they show up this way:
1 2
3 4
5 6
7 8
They need a WYSIWYG for the LCD...

And if any one is left blank everything moves up. So if you put in:
1 2
3 4
5 6
_ 8

Then what you really get is
1 2
3 4
5 6

Also I think it forces you to stay in an order of components.
For example if I have a Satalite box, TV and Reciever, I have to stay in bunches like that. So you have to go
1 2 [sat]
3 [sat] 4 [TV]
5 6 [TV]
7 8 [reciever]

I can not go
1 [TV] 2[sat]
3[TV] 4[reciever]
5[sat] 6[reciever]
7 8 [sat]

------------------------------------
post #316 of 6265 Old 06-14-2006, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

As for remote codes on Tivos, I think only HARMONY can set this up for you. Once you get the two tivos setup with differant remotes codes, then give them a call.
post #317 of 6265 Old 06-16-2006, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Has anyone looked at 720 as well? Curious how it stands against 880.
post #318 of 6265 Old 06-16-2006, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallu2u View Post

Has anyone looked at 720 as well? Curious how it stands against 880.

I just purchased a 720 a few days ago and it seems very nice. It is my first Harmony remote, however, so I can't offer any "compare and contrast" opinions of it vs the 880.

There is a recently-formed Harmony 720 discussion thread here btw ...
post #319 of 6265 Old 06-16-2006, 10:11 AM

Interesting post, as I just purchased an 880 from Dell.com, and the display on mine looks washed out as well. The best way to describe it is that it reminds me of an old CRT monitor that had burn in. A background that I think is supposed to be one shade of blue looks faded in the corners. In addition, occasisonally I see vertical and horizontal banding. I first noticed this right after I charged it up. I called Logitech support and they said I should finish the installation and setup and see if a firmware upgrade fixes the problem. I went through the procedure and it looks the same (the firmware that came with it was the latest). I really have not seen any other 880's in person to compare it with, but I know my color display on my cell phone looks a lot shaper and more defined. I guess I'll call Logitech back and see what they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacevedo View Post

I just wanted to update anyone that has an 880 and has issues with the LCD screen being washed out and white smears or blotches on it.

They sent me a new one last week and the screen is perfect. Absolutely no fading and the contrast on the screen is much better. The blue on the top is a deep blue, not a faded blue like my last remote. Also, channel logos and the activity graphics are much easier to see. It's almost like the earlier remote had the contrast set way too high and it was "blooming" because the whites were so high and it washed everything out.

Bryan

post #320 of 6265 Old 06-16-2006, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by richh View Post

Interesting post, as I just purchased an 880 from Dell.com, and the display on mine looks washed out as well. The best way to describe it is that it reminds me of an old CRT monitor that had burn in. A background that I think is supposed to be one shade of blue looks faded in the corners. In addition, occasisonally I see vertical and horizontal banding. I first noticed this right after I charged it up. I called Logitech support and they said I should finish the installation and setup and see if a firmware upgrade fixes the problem. I went through the procedure and it looks the same (the firmware that came with it was the latest). I really have not seen any other 880's in person to compare it with, but I know my color display on my cell phone looks a lot shaper and more defined. I guess I'll call Logitech back and see what they say.

I recently tried an 880 out and mine looked the same as you described. However, what was strange was, when the "USB Connected" screen showed, when updating the remote, that looked just fine, no fading at all. The only time I saw the fading was during normal operation.

I ended up returning the remote(for other reasons, not the screen) but if I had kept it, I would definitely have been calling Logitech for a fix.
post #321 of 6265 Old 06-16-2006, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richh View Post

Call up logitech and ask for a replacement. I just did this with both of my remotes and the new screens are flawless. In addition, the battery fits tightly in its place. They DHL'd me the new remotes, it took about 4 days. I am to USPS the old remotes back to them.
post #322 of 6265 Old 06-16-2006, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bought another remote from Dell but I realized I do not need it. If anyone needs 880, just PM me. Around $150. Or else I shall send it back.
post #323 of 6265 Old 06-16-2006, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I have been having problems with my 880 remote

1- Kept losing the time on the remote

2- Slight crack on display that just got bigger and bigger

3- Unable to seat Remote into Cradle properly.

I called Logitech expecting to fight to get the remote replaced (I bought the remote from an Ebay store) but WOW the customer rep was great and said they have been experiencing problems with remote cradles and LCD cracking. They took my info and said they would transfer my incident to RMA dept, I said great now I know I am not getting the remote replaced. Lone and behold I received a phone call from Logitech's RMA dept they gave me no problem and stated that they are sending me a new remote no questions asked. I love Logitech great company.

Rob
post #324 of 6265 Old 06-16-2006, 04:26 PM

My previous experiences have been great with Logitech support. They replaced my diNovo multimedia BT set (5 year warranty), as well as a BT headset, without any hassle. If there is something not functioning right, they go ahead and give you a new one, which is the way it is supposed to be....

I am also in the same boat with you guys in terms of washed out screen and cradle. I am just going to wait for the "real test drive" of the remote; in-laws will be here soon for a month

Then, I'll contact Logitech......
post #325 of 6265 Old 06-17-2006, 09:45 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaadams View Post

Also I think it forces you to stay in an order of components.
For example if I have a Satalite box, TV and Reciever, I have to stay in bunches like that.

Argh!!! I wish I had read that before I fought with it for the last half hour trying to figure out why the heck it wouldn't take the ordering I'm trying to give it. It would be nice if they at least gave you a warning message to let you know that it had to change the order you specified....
post #326 of 6265 Old 06-18-2006, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboy View Post

As for remote codes on Tivos, I think only HARMONY can set this up for you. Once you get the two tivos setup with differant remotes codes, then give them a call.

As it turns out 'giving them a call' is a very frustrating experience. After waiting 20 minutes while the the tech looked up the information (repeadedly asking me the same questions over and over again), the answer is:

You have to program EACH TiVo remote in comand by comand in RAW mode.

It's along and tedious process that is making me very cranky. But, it does appear to be working.

Susan Dennis
Seattle, WA
post #327 of 6265 Old 06-18-2006, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

As it turns out 'giving them a call' is a very frustrating experience. After waiting 20 minutes while the the tech looked up the information (repeadedly asking me the same questions over and over again), the answer is:

You have to program EACH TiVo remote in comand by comand in RAW mode.

It's along and tedious process that is making me very cranky. But, it does appear to be working.

You shouldn't need to do that.

For the second(ie non standard IR code) Tivo, select "Confirm IR commands" from the Device -> More options menu. It will ask you to press a few buttons on the original remote to confirm the codeset it is using.
post #328 of 6265 Old 06-18-2006, 05:10 PM

Quote:

You shouldn't need to do that.

For the second(ie non standard IR code) Tivo, select "Confirm IR commands" from the Device -> More options menu. It will ask you to press a few buttons on the original remote to confirm the codeset it is using.

That's an interesting idea. Wonder why Harmony didn't know about it? They also - in a later call - said that you could not raw code more than one remote (this was when I did raw code it and got each button action twice - no channel 5 but 55 was easy!).

Finally, I gave up and created a generic PVR with no manufacturer and no model number and built it all from scratch. It took forever but it works.

Susan Dennis
Seattle, WA
post #329 of 6265 Old 06-18-2006, 05:57 PM

I've had the 880 for a few months now and I love it. It handles everything without a single problem. I have the Panny Plasmsa 50U Denon 3806 Reciever HR10-250 Tivo Panasonic 85 DVD and Infinitys 1100 and the 880 handles all of it without any problems. It's a great remote and easy to set up.
post #330 of 6265 Old 06-18-2006, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That's an interesting idea. Wonder why Harmony didn't know about it? They also - in a later call - said that you could not raw code more than one remote (this was when I did raw code it and got each button action twice - no channel 5 but 55 was easy!).

Finally, I gave up and created a generic PVR with no manufacturer and no model number and built it all from scratch. It took forever but it works.

I think that the Harmony brand has grown very quickly since the Logitech takeover, and therefore their tech support department has had to grow very quickly too. When you first call them the "tier 1" people you speak to are possibly quite new to the company and don't know everything they probably should. If you get to speak to a "tier 2" rep they have usually been around a bit longer and know quite a bit more.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page