Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 6265 Old 07-22-2006, 04:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob316 View Post

I have a harmony 880 remote and I have a question about my DVD activity I setup. My Panny 47x54 RPTV has 3 picture modes Standard, Vivid and Cinema, I was wondering if I can customize my DVD activity to always switch to Cinema mode when I watch a DVD.

Rob

These are the steps to follow using the web interface:

1. Click "Customize" under the "DVD" Activity
2. Click "Run the Setup Wizard Again"
3. Click the "Next" button, accepting the default selections, until you reach "Review the Settings for this activity. Are they correct?"
4. Select "Yes, but I want to add more control of options and devices for this Activity." and then click "Next".
5. Click the "Next" button, accepting the default selections, until you reach "Please review the actions for your DVD Activity".
6. You will now see "Add action for" options for when you enter this activity and for when you leave. Simply add an action on entry to set your TV to Cinema and then add an action on exit to set it back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 6265 Old 07-22-2006, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epie View Post

Your best bet is to call Logitech and have them program this functionality for you. I did and it works like a charm now.

epie, Regarding your response to visualgnc: Is this a procedure that must be done by Logitech or, with hind-sight, could you have done it yourself? I'm sort of in the same situation here trying to help someone set-up their TH-42PX60U and am curious if this is an option (to it on your own).

-George
(not the one of the jungle...)
post #543 of 6265 Old 07-23-2006, 06:23 AM

Any ideas on how to do this? Basically I want my Lutron Maestro light dimmer to come up after all of the equipment is turned off with the All Off hard button.
post #544 of 6265 Old 07-23-2006, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbevil View Post

Hi all. I did some searches of the site but didn't see this covered; apologies if it has been.

I set up some favorite channels on my Harmony 880. I have 4 activities that watch TV. Is there a way to use my favorite channels for more than one activity, or do I have to manually enter them all in for all 4 activites?

By the lack of response I take it here's no way to share favorite channnels across activites? It's not a huge deal but kind of a pain to load a dozen or so images for each activity (espeically since I wnt them to all be the same). And if I make changes to my favorite channels I need to make sure to duplicate the changes for each setup. Ah well, guess I better stop procrastinating and get started. :-)

Carl
post #545 of 6265 Old 07-23-2006, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

By the lack of response I take it here's no way to share favorite channnels across activites? It's not a huge deal but kind of a pain to load a dozen or so images for each activity (espeically since I wnt them to all be the same). And if I make changes to my favorite channels I need to make sure to duplicate the changes for each setup. Ah well, guess I better stop procrastinating and get started. :-)

Carl

Yeah it's a bummer but I haven't seen any other way. I have a number of activities that use channels but had to load each one seperately. It's possible Harmony support can move them, but I'm not sure.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #546 of 6265 Old 07-23-2006, 04:17 PM

Ah well, I bit the bullet and did it this morning.

Another question: if I buy a enw DVD player, is there a way to keep my current Watch DVD activites and just swap the old DVD player for the new one?

Thanks,

Carl
post #547 of 6265 Old 07-23-2006, 10:54 PM

I bought an 880 last week. I finally set it up today. Very nice that it works on my optoma RD65A TV. I had to manually enter 3 keys and that was it. Looks like it will work on the entire optoma line as they had them all listed.
post #548 of 6265 Old 07-24-2006, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Another question: if I buy a enw DVD player, is there a way to keep my current Watch DVD activites and just swap the old DVD player for the new one?

- I bought a new receiver in one of my setups and once I registered the new receiver, I had to simply run through the activity once again to make sure that the new commands were there.

Basically, you don't have to start over. You just have to adjust things a little.
post #549 of 6265 Old 07-24-2006, 06:28 PM

i just bought this remote and was wondering if I need to include my Belkin Power Conditioner as a device in order for everything to work properly? I did not see an option to add such a device and wonder if there is a way to include it in my set up so the remote knows what is going on. Thanks for any help.
post #550 of 6265 Old 07-24-2006, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_W View Post

i just bought this remote and was wondering if I need to include my Belkin Power Conditioner as a device in order for everything to work properly? I did not see an option to add such a device and wonder if there is a way to include it in my set up so the remote knows what is going on. Thanks for any help.

Does the Belkin turn anything on or off?? If not, ignore it. I assume it just stays on and does its job, like a surge or UPS does.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #551 of 6265 Old 07-24-2006, 07:26 PM

As another poster mentioned . . . I programed in my Panasonic Air conditioner by just entering the model number under add a device and lo and behold it had the codes in the Harmony database.

Now I don't have to fight my Wife for the remote anymore!
post #552 of 6265 Old 07-24-2006, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman View Post

These are the steps to follow using the web interface:

1. Click "Customize" under the "DVD" Activity
2. Click "Run the Setup Wizard Again"
3. Click the "Next" button, accepting the default selections, until you reach "Review the Settings for this activity. Are they correct?"
4. Select "Yes, but I want to add more control of options and devices for this Activity." and then click "Next".
5. Click the "Next" button, accepting the default selections, until you reach "Please review the actions for your DVD Activity".
6. You will now see "Add action for" options for when you enter this activity and for when you leave. Simply add an action on entry to set your TV to Cinema and then add an action on exit to set it back.

I tried wahat you said but there is not an option to add Cinema or any Picture settings.

rob
post #553 of 6265 Old 07-24-2006, 09:50 PM
rdn
Advanced Member

Quote:

I tried wahat you said but there is not an option to add Cinema or any Picture settings.

rob

Go to Customize then pick "change the behaviour of buttons". Between the "learn missing commands" and "more custom options" choices you should be able to add that as a custom button label and map it to the corresponding button on the original remote.

Bob
post #554 of 6265 Old 07-24-2006, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post

- I bought a new receiver in one of my setups and once I registered the new receiver, I had to simply run through the activity once again to make sure that the new commands were there.

Basically, you don't have to start over. You just have to adjust things a little.

Awesome, thanks!
post #555 of 6265 Old 07-25-2006, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_W View Post

Well, it all depends. The Belkin itself does not have a remote control so there is no code to turn it on or off. However, it does have a DC trigger input, so that you can connect it to some other switched input and then it will power up with that unit comes on. Of course, if you do this the code you are using is the one for the unit that has the Belkin plugged in to it. But in this case, that unit also is not plugged into the Belkin, as you can't have it both ways. That would mean that the unit is not protected, unless you run a seperate line protector for that unit.

Best case is to simply leave the Belkin on all the time or to manually turn it on and off as the last step in the process. I have my 880 charger plugged into my Belkin and it sits next to it, so that would not be a big deal to me if I wanted to do it that way. But I leave mine on all the time, to monitor the voltage.
post #556 of 6265 Old 07-25-2006, 07:13 AM

Quote:

rob

rdn is right. Simply go under your tv Device and learn the missing commands. Then follow my earlier steps.
post #557 of 6265 Old 07-25-2006, 05:30 PM

I bought the Harmony 880 last week and got almost all the programming done quite easely except for one thing.

I added a generic activity to use my Roku Photobridge and all the devices start up properly except for the fact that my remote does not select the Photobridge device controls when done turning on the devices. I have to manually select the device to use it ...

What am I doing wrong ?
Thanks
Patrick S.

A/V Enthousiast ...
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.
post #558 of 6265 Old 07-25-2006, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansp00 View Post

I bought the Harmony 880 last week and got almost all the programming done quite easely except for one thing.

I added a generic activity to use my Roku Photobridge and all the devices start up properly except for the fact that my remote does not select the Photobridge device controls when done turning on the devices. I have to manually select the device to use it ...

What am I doing wrong ?
Thanks
Patrick S.

For the activity in question, select "Customize", then "Change behaviour of buttons". You will then get a screen where you can assign any function to any button you want. Other activities make a guess at a default setup(which can be modified on this same screen), but this isn't done for generic activities....you have to do it all yourself.
post #559 of 6265 Old 07-25-2006, 10:11 PM

Sadly, this is what I thought It could have been so much easier ...
This remote has so much untapped potential, I just hope Logitech continues to update the firmware and features.
The internet client to configure the thing is my biggest gripe up to now, if they could do a stand alone version with a small DB that would update itself ... sigh.
Thanks for the info ...
Patrick S.

A/V Enthousiast ...
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.
post #560 of 6265 Old 07-26-2006, 12:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansp00 View Post

Sadly, this is what I thought It could have been so much easier ...

???
How could it be any easier? It only takes a couple of minutes to assign everything exactly how you want.

It deliberately doesn't make a guess at how you would like it set up, because it is a CUSTOM activity by definition. It isn't psychic...it doesn't know what you are trying to do.
post #561 of 6265 Old 07-26-2006, 09:40 AM
MoG

Thanks!! The tip works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by czzer View Post

I do a similar thing with my electric projector screen. I agree activity start/end commands are no good as the screen goes up then down when you switch activities.

I suggest you go to "Power options" for the Drapes device, and select "I want to turn this device off when not in use"
Then select "I have a button for ON, and a seperate button for OFF"
When it asks for the ON command, select "DrapesOPEN"(or whatever you have called the command), and for the OFF command select "DrapesCLOSED".
Next, add the drapes device to all the activities you need it in.

This is what I did for my screen, and it works a treat. Screen comes down when the first activity is selected. Change activities and screen stays down. Press OFF and screen goes up.

snagabag.com - just a click away
post #562 of 6265 Old 07-26-2006, 09:56 AM

Hello,

Over the weekend I have noticed a proble with my PVR activity and looking for guidance. Currently it is set-up as follows (not that my PVR is on all the time):

1. Turn on TV
2. Switch to HDMI input
3. Turn on Receiver.
4. Mute TV

Seems very straightforward. My activity was working fine with steps 1-3 however step 4 has not been working reat since I added it.. My TV won't mute on start-up of activty. I have checked through the Device menu to mute TV to make sure it wan;t a problem with IR but that worked fine. Also, I went in and increased "Inter-key" delay up to 500ms and still I can't get TV to mute through the PVR activity button. This did work fine for about a day (only thing I did after it was working was update my remote with other stuff) and then stopped after the update (I think?)

Anybody have any ideas why something simple like "mute TV" will not work in my activity?

Thanks everyone!
post #563 of 6265 Old 07-26-2006, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post

epie, Regarding your response to visualgnc: Is this a procedure that must be done by Logitech or, with hind-sight, could you have done it yourself? I'm sort of in the same situation here trying to help someone set-up their TH-42PX60U and am curious if this is an option (to it on your own).

-George
(not the one of the jungle...)

I don;t think I could have done this George. They actually went in added stuff "behind the scenes" I believe. I tried looking for how they did it but couldn't find anything. THey basically added the programming to a menu option that didn't appear originally when I added my device. I wouldn't waste your time as they did it fairly quickly.

Good Luck!
post #564 of 6265 Old 07-26-2006, 12:35 PM

Any advice on my two programming issues would be appreciated.

1) After selecting "Watch DVD" the TV and DVD are configured properly and the color display shows some DVD options that are useful (Aspect ratio, subtitles, etc).
It seems that I am automatically switched to the DEVICE menu for the DVD player.

For other activity selections, I do not get the device menu unless it is selected manually. Is there any way to control this? For example, after selecting an activity of Watch TV, I would like to have the TV device menu on the display.

Why does it do it for the DVD player and not other devices?

2) Operation with the D-link DSM-520 seems to have a bug. I created an activity that will turn on the D-link, wait 25000ms for the D-link to get network connection, then select the Video input.

This all works but then the up-and-down arrows and control ring are frozen.
The D-link factory remote will still work fine at this point - so the D-Link is not confused, but the Harmony must be frozen.
If I select the DEVICE menu, the Harmony get "unfrozen" and the up-and-down arrows work.

I have the repeat setting at 0. Additional repeats do not clear the situation but do cause "keyboard bounce" problems once the device is un-frozen.
post #565 of 6265 Old 07-26-2006, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaadams View Post

And if any one is left blank everything moves up. So if you put in:
1 2
3 4
5 6
_ 8

Then what you really get is
1 2
3 4
5 6

Also I think it forces you to stay in an order of components.
For example if I have a Satalite box, TV and Reciever, I have to stay in bunches like that. So you have to go
1 2 [sat]
3 [sat] 4 [TV]
5 6 [TV]
7 8 [reciever]

I can not go
1 [TV] 2[sat]
3[TV] 4[reciever]
5[sat] 6[reciever]
7 8 [sat]

Mine goes:
page 1
1 TV
2 AVR
3 STB
4 AVR2
page 2
5 DVD

I have Preferences set on "Large Print", so only 4 buttons show up per page (only for Activities and Devices). All the custom buttons are 8 per page. I prefer the easier to read activities, and activating from either the left or right button. Not sure why my DVD shows up as 5th item, I added AVR2 a few days after the others. AVR2 is just a dummy, that I'd like on page 2. Seems if you can rearrange activities, you should be able to rearrange devices!
post #566 of 6265 Old 07-26-2006, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar62 View Post

Any advice on my two programming issues would be appreciated.

1) After selecting "Watch DVD" the TV and DVD are configured properly and the color display shows some DVD options that are useful (Aspect ratio, subtitles, etc).
It seems that I am automatically switched to the DEVICE menu for the DVD player.

For other activity selections, I do not get the device menu unless it is selected manually. Is there any way to control this? For example, after selecting an activity of Watch TV, I would like to have the TV device menu on the display.

Why does it do it for the DVD player and not other devices?

2) Operation with the D-link DSM-520 seems to have a bug. I created an activity that will turn on the D-link, wait 25000ms for the D-link to get network connection, then select the Video input.

This all works but then the up-and-down arrows and control ring are frozen.
The D-link factory remote will still work fine at this point - so the D-Link is not confused, but the Harmony must be frozen.
If I select the DEVICE menu, the Harmony get "unfrozen" and the up-and-down arrows work.

I have the repeat setting at 0. Additional repeats do not clear the situation but do cause "keyboard bounce" problems once the device is un-frozen.

For all your activities, select "Customize", then "Change behavior of buttons". This will give you a screen where you can map any function to any button in activity mode.

The remote does not "automatically select" a device mode when you start an activity...it is an activity based remote and as such when you are in an activity you have access to commands from any device being used in that activity. This is set up on the "Change behavior of buttons" screen.

For your "frozen" direction commands, you'll probably find these buttons haven't been assigned on this screen.
post #567 of 6265 Old 07-26-2006, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Earlier I posted that I had input problems (never going to the correct one). I just discovered why and seems to work now. I had relabelled my "HDMI 1" to "HDMI-Cable", and even though I selected the correct label in set-up, the remote (somewhere deep in the software), read the word "...Cable" and thought it was a TV input with a channel associated with it, "3" in my case. So everytime an activity was started it switched from HDMI to channel 3. I relabelled the input back to "HDMI 1", and it ignores (or cycled through) the TV input, and lands on the correct one now!

I also downloaded current software to my computer (I was using their on-line site), and started using the software off my computer and works faster, with fewer waits for software downloads. All options seem identical (other than new graphics probably from the upgrade).

I have it doing everything I want it to, just be nice to have more control on arranging items on the screen (like activity icons, and device order). Also be nice if the Slideshow feature had some resolution to it. I have it cycle through 8 shots of my grand-daughter when I set it in the cradle... you can tell who it is, but that's about it.
post #568 of 6265 Old 07-26-2006, 11:15 PM

The customized buttons did the trick.
For the D-link, the defaults were all blank.
post #569 of 6265 Old 07-27-2006, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualcnc View Post

I have it doing everything I want it to, just be nice to have more control on arranging items on the screen (like activity icons, and device order).

You can do that, I believe. I was able to rearrange my activity icons and I think you can reorder the disply of devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar62 View Post

After selecting "Watch DVD" the TV and DVD are configured properly and the color display shows some DVD options that are useful (Aspect ratio, subtitles, etc). It seems that I am automatically switched to the DEVICE menu for the DVD player. For other activity selections, I do not get the device menu unless it is selected manually. Is there any way to control this? For example, after selecting an activity of Watch TV, I would like to have the TV device menu on the display. Why does it do it for the DVD player and not other devices?

You are not being switched to the DEVICE menu, that is just a default list of actions that Harmony has set up. You can designate the items to appear on this screen, and even add more if you like. For instance, after I select Watch Cable TV in my activities menu, I added Aspect to my Harmony 880 screen so I can select the aspect ratio of my TV, and switch between "widescreen" for 4:3 SD cable channels or "16:9" for HD channels that are formatted for widescreen TV's already. You can delete, add and arrange everything that shows on this screen. You can also go into device mode to access all of the device commands at any time, just like normal.
post #570 of 6265 Old 07-27-2006, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

I can rearrange activities, but can't change out an activity icon. And I don't believe there is a way to rearrange devices (unless maybe Tech support can do it behind the scenes). You can change out favorite icons and rearrange activities, so it should be a very minor software change to allow a bit more user control.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page