Harmony 880 Official Thread. For all info and FAQs - Page 209 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6241 of 6265 Old 09-26-2013, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Wow taking the battery out and putting it back in worked! Thanks Bruce!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6242 of 6265 Old 09-26-2013, 07:46 PM

Liked: 11
Glad I could help.
post #6243 of 6265 Old 10-24-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Any easy fix for the motion detector becoming less responsive?

Thanks
post #6244 of 6265 Old 10-25-2013, 09:09 AM

If I install OSX Mavericks on my Macbook Pro, will I still be able to update my Harmony 890 and Harmony 900?

I would feel better if I now that someone else has been successful before I install the new version of OSX.
post #6245 of 6265 Old 10-25-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 229
The buttons on my 880 are starting to become less responsive (I have to press harder at times to initiate a command). It may be time to retire the 880, so which Harmony would be a good replacement that will still work with the MyHarmony software on my laptop and transfer my settings? I only have 4 devices to control so my programming is fairly basic.
post #6246 of 6265 Old 10-25-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

The buttons on my 880 are starting to become less responsive (I have to press harder at times to initiate a command). It may be time to retire the 880, so which Harmony would be a good replacement that will still work with the MyHarmony software on my laptop and transfer my settings? I only have 4 devices to control so my programming is fairly basic.
You're lucky then as you can get away relatively inexpensively with the Harmony 650 since it will control 5 devices, I have at least 8 or so so I'm looking at something in the $150-$200 range.

While looking around for a tilt sensor fix I came across Harmony Remote Repair which looks to have pretty reasonable pricing. The tilt problem I have is a $35 fix which is far more attractive than buying a new remote when the one I have still works fine - other than the sketchy tilt light issue.
post #6247 of 6265 Old 10-25-2013, 10:29 AM

I noticed that you were having a Tilt Light problem.

Whenever I have a problem with the control panel not lighting when I tilt my 890, I have found that all I need to do is press the activity button to get the control panel and all the buttons to light up.
post #6248 of 6265 Old 10-25-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceS View Post

I noticed that you were having a Tilt Light problem.

Whenever I have a problem with the control panel not lighting when I tilt my 890, I have found that all I need to do is press the activity button to get the control panel and all the buttons to light up.
You can do the same hitting the Glow button on the 880, it's not quite the same as having it light up just by movement, although it is a handy workaround.

Apparently the tilt sensor in these remotes is a tiny ball bearing that slides back and forth in a tiny box on the board and the ball and/or track gets dirty or gummed up over time.
post #6249 of 6265 Old 10-26-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. However, I like the rechargeability instead of battery replacement, but the Harmony Repair link could prove to be useful.
post #6250 of 6265 Old 10-26-2013, 03:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Thanks. However, I like the rechargeability instead of battery replacement, but the Harmony Repair link could prove to be useful.
I've decided to send my 880 in for the tilt sensor fix, I just have to figure out when, and most importantly, make sure I have all the remotes I'll need the week my 880 is gone. biggrin.gif
post #6251 of 6265 Old 10-27-2013, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
FYI - I replaced an 880 with sticking buttons with a 650. 5 devices in my setup and it transferred over to the new remote just fine.

After using the 650 for a month or so, I like it better than the 880. Button layout is logical and buttons themselves are responsive.

I don't miss the re-chargeable batteries yet, especially with the 880's touchy charging base.

I looked over the entire logitech lineup and found their other remotes either poorly designed, or grossly overpriced for what I needed.
post #6252 of 6265 Old 10-28-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I've never had any problems with the 880's charging station as others have reported. I still only need to put my 880 on the charging station about every 10 days which isn't bad. I just might send mine off for a few button repairs and it will be as good as new (well, almost).
post #6253 of 6265 Old 11-19-2013, 11:25 AM

Liked: 12
Has anyone been able to program their Harmony remote to control a Panasonic PT-AE3000 to switch "Frame Response" between "Fast" and "Normal"? I want to change the projector's behavior between gaming and DVD viewing.

The problem seems to be that there isn't a command I can find that directly controls Frame Response. When I use the Panasonic remote, I have to navigate through some menus, which vary depending on what I last accessed in the menus. I don't know how to set up an automatic command that would work every time.

Are there tricks to programming a Harmony for this sort of invariant behavior?
post #6254 of 6265 Old 11-21-2013, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

I found one thing this remote can't do.. Since my Samsung TV does not have a PNP button I can't bring up PNP in my case I have to go to tools then down to PNP then hit enter.. it sucks but I guess no way around this that I can see of.
post #6255 of 6265 Old 11-21-2013, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruB4 View Post

I found one thing this remote can't do.. Since my Samsung TV does not have a PNP button I can't bring up PNP in my case I have to go to tools then down to PNP then hit enter.. it sucks but I guess no way around this that I can see of.

Have you tried creating a sequence and assigning it to a button in your activity?  On my Samsung (D7000 plasma), PiP is always [Tools][Down][OK] for any input that supports PiP.  That would be easy to create as a sequence.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #6256 of 6265 Old 11-22-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I've decided to send my 880 in for the tilt sensor fix, I just have to figure out when, and most importantly, make sure I have all the remotes I'll need the week my 880 is gone. biggrin.gif
I wanted to followup on my above post. I sent the remote to Harmony Remote Repair and had the tilt sensor replaced and it works perfectly, the cost was about $35. Quin(HRR) also completely checked out the remote and even fixed/repaired a few other items that he noticed needing attention. He also stays in contact with you the whole way, doing a pre-repair inspection and checking back with you as to how to proceed. Once the repair is done the remote is sent back with a (in my case) 2 page report noting the condition of the remote pre-repair and all the work that was done after along with comments on the general condition of the remote, scratches, missing locking tabs on case, etc - apparently mine was in near perfect condition, only missing a tab on the battery cover which he replaced free of charge!

If you have one of the models they service I highly recommend using them! I have looked at later models Harmony remotes and haven't really been that impressed, so to now have a near mint condition 880 again, well, for $35 it just can't be beat.
post #6257 of 6265 Old 11-23-2013, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I wanted to followup on my above post. I sent the remote to Harmony Remote Repair and had the tilt sensor replaced and it works perfectly, the cost was about $35. Quin(HRR) also completely checked out the remote and even fixed/repaired a few other items that he noticed needing attention. He also stays in contact with you the whole way, doing a pre-repair inspection and checking back with you as to how to proceed. Once the repair is done the remote is sent back with a (in my case) 2 page report noting the condition of the remote pre-repair and all the work that was done after along with comments on the general condition of the remote, scratches, missing locking tabs on case, etc - apparently mine was in near perfect condition, only missing a tab on the battery cover which he replaced free of charge!

If you have one of the models they service I highly recommend using them! I have looked at later models Harmony remotes and haven't really been that impressed, so to now have a near mint condition 880 again, well, for $35 it just can't be beat.

Quin at Harmony Remote Repair does an excellent job, at great rates. A much better value than spending the money to replace.

Sometimes I have to remind myself that I bought all this "stuff" to enjoy it!
post #6258 of 6265 Old 11-24-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizwiz41 View Post

Quin at Harmony Remote Repair does an excellent job, at great rates. A much better value than spending the money to replace.
Yes, I was very impressed with the whole process. I have an older 880 that needs work and I'm going to have him refurbish it, depending on cost, but I suspect that it will be reasonable. The 880 has been my favorite remote, best I've ever had, so having a backup will be nice.
post #6259 of 6265 Old 11-30-2013, 04:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

Have you tried creating a sequence and assigning it to a button in your activity?  On my Samsung (D7000 plasma), PiP is always [Tools][Down][OK] for any input that supports PiP.  That would be easy to create as a sequence.
I'm going to try this

Got it to work! Thanks!
post #6260 of 6265 Old 03-21-2014, 05:03 PM

Liked: 10
Hello,

I realize this is an old thread but I cannot find a satisfactory resolution. Using my Harmony 880, I'm having problems getting "press and hold" button functions working with my Anthem Statement D2 pre-amp/processor. It doesn't appear that Logitech updated their database to allow for the programming of the press and hold functions. In calling Logitech they want to charge me $30 to "try" and help me because the equipment is old. I don't want to pay $30 for a "try". I'm curious to know if anyone has the remote codes that allow for the press and hold functions to work and could let me know how to get these codes into the remote. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #6261 of 6265 Old 03-21-2014, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenonAVFreak View Post

Hello,

I realize this is an old thread but I cannot find a satisfactory resolution. Using my Harmony 880, I'm having problems getting "press and hold" button functions working with my Anthem Statement D2 pre-amp/processor. It doesn't appear that Logitech updated their database to allow for the programming of the press and hold functions. In calling Logitech they want to charge me $30 to "try" and help me because the equipment is old. I don't want to pay $30 for a "try". I'm curious to know if anyone has the remote codes that allow for the press and hold functions to work and could let me know how to get these codes into the remote. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you called Anthem? Their customer service is great!
post #6262 of 6265 Old 03-21-2014, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I have an 880. What does "press and hold" do?
post #6263 of 6265 Old 03-21-2014, 09:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Usually it means that by pressing a button and holding it the particular function associated with that button will cycle through the available options.

For example, my Denon X4000 remote as a button labelled "Movie" under the available options of Surround modes. By pressing and holding down that button it brings up all the available sounds modes such as stereo, Dolby Digital, DTS etc. and I can press the button to move down the list to select the one I want. If I just press and release the "Movie" button it will only show me which surround mode is in use, it doesn't let me change it.

I'm not sure the 880 is capable of having a button programmed to "press and hold" although if they want $30 to try it I wouldn't mind chipping $10 or so to see if it can be done.
post #6264 of 6265 Old 03-22-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have a Yamaha RX-3800 and its sound options are separate buttons. I added them to a page on the LCD buttons.

My favorite toy
post #6265 of 6265 Old 04-26-2014, 07:01 AM

I'd like to add DynamicVolumeMedium but its missing from the original remote and the list of commands for my Onkyo TX-SR607. I've searched here and google and I think it cannot be done on the 880, is this correct?

Funny they would have Dynamic Volume Light and Heavy in the list, but not Medium confused.gif
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page