post #6271 of 6284 Unread 08-27-2014, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Has anyone attempted a DIY repair? I have several buttons that have been acting up on my 880, and the current crop of universal remotes on sale are less than inspiring. I can't really see paying half of what the remote cost to fix a few buttons.
Yes, some have with apparently varying degrees of success. You will have to research the many pages of this thread or just try googling "harmony 880 self repair" or similar words.

Last edited by sgbroimp; 08-27-2014 at 09:01 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6272 of 6284 Unread 08-27-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 239
I'd like to cast a third vote for Harmony Remote Repair. I sent my 880 in a few months ago for some non-responsive buttons and it came back good as new with a quick turn-around time and the cost was reasonable. Good communication as well.
post #6273 of 6284 Unread 08-27-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Has anyone attempted a DIY repair? I have several buttons that have been acting up on my 880, and the current crop of universal remotes on sale are less than inspiring. I can't really see paying half of what the remote cost to fix a few buttons.
I just looked it up and I paid Quin at Harmony Remote Repair $35 for a bad tilt sensor and he ended up fixing some "lazy" buttons as well as basically part of the service. He also threw in a new battery cover. He takes the remote apart, inspects it and then emails you with what he thinks needs fixing and you go from there. My impression is that you will get far more than what you really feel you've paid for with him, the value is very high in other words. And the turn around time was spectacular, I mailed the remote to him on a Monday from northern California and I had the remote back in my hands that Saturday. He's based in NY.

I think I paid around $200 for my 880, maybe $180 or so, I don't really remember, but to have a few buttons cleaned/fixed should not cost too much - a tilt sensor replacement was only $35 - so in my opinion it's easily worth it to send it to him versus trying to fix it yourself.

I found this doing a search,

How to open your Harmony 880 or 890 Remote Control

to give you idea of how to open it.

Personally, I wouldn't even think twice about sending it to HRR, I would be very surprised if you ended up having a bad experience in doing so.

---

Most definitely agree that current remotes are very uninspiring and also very expensive, the 880 is a real gem and worth maintaining.

Last edited by Keenan; 08-27-2014 at 10:29 AM.
post #6274 of 6284 Unread 08-27-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

+1
post #6275 of 6284 Unread 08-27-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I think I paid around $200 for my 880, maybe $180 or so, I don't really remember, but to have a few buttons cleaned/fixed should not cost too much - a tilt sensor replacement was only $35 - so in my opinion it's easily worth it to send it to him versus trying to fix it yourself.
It turns out I paid a little more than I remembered. $147.34 on 10/24/2006 for a new one. I have a few "lazy" buttons. The volume + and -, the select at the center of the 4 way arrow keys, and now the play button seems to be getting unhappy. The volume + is the worst of them. My tilt sensor never worked, even brand new out of the box. I didn't care enough to return it for a replacement. I've been pretty happy with it, but figured it was time to replace it with the play button now acting up. I was a little surprised when I saw the Harmony One was suddenly $400+. I remember then being around $120-130 on the deal sites (potentially refurb'd) not too long ago.
post #6276 of 6284 Unread 08-27-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
It turns out I paid a little more than I remembered. $147.34 on 10/24/2006 for a new one. I have a few "lazy" buttons. The volume + and -, the select at the center of the 4 way arrow keys, and now the play button seems to be getting unhappy. The volume + is the worst of them. My tilt sensor never worked, even brand new out of the box. I didn't care enough to return it for a replacement. I've been pretty happy with it, but figured it was time to replace it with the play button now acting up. I was a little surprised when I saw the Harmony One was suddenly $400+. I remember then being around $120-130 on the deal sites (potentially refurb'd) not too long ago.
Yes, when I was looking at getting a new(old) Harmony instead of fixing my 880 I was a bit shocked at how expensive they were and I decided then it was worth trying out HRR and I'm extremely pleased with the results.
post #6277 of 6284 Unread 08-27-2014, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Ugh... I decided to test my Harmony 880 tonight and see how many of the buttons on it are not recognized as being activated after a light press that results in a tactile click. It's right around 10. At least half of the buttons that will click and not register as being pressed with a light touch are buttons that are never used. I thought the whole premise was excessive use and force of the buttons have deformed the metal dome?
post #6278 of 6284 Unread 08-27-2014, 05:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Ugh... I decided to test my Harmony 880 tonight and see how many of the buttons on it are not recognized as being activated after a light press that results in a tactile click. It's right around 10. At least half of the buttons that will click and not register as being pressed with a light touch are buttons that are never used. I thought the whole premise was excessive use and force of the buttons have deformed the metal dome?
Not sure of the exact mechanics of how it works, it could be as simple as dirty/gummy contact points.

This page talks about button repairs. It couldn't hurt to check with him on cost, there's a template at the site where you mark the suspect buttons and send it in with the remote. He then looks it over and emails you with the estimate. He also is very active at the Harmony forum, you could try asking him there if it's worth repairing given the condition it's in.

Found this image that shows the button contact area.

Last edited by Keenan; 08-27-2014 at 05:43 PM.
post #6279 of 6284 Unread 08-27-2014, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Part of me thinks I should just by myself a 650 and move on. I'm not really sure that the 650 would be much of a step down. I don't have more than 8 device to control anyhow. I have 3 devices that I regularly use, hopefully soon to be 4. Plus the 650 has the more durable rubber membrane buttons that are easily fixed if they stop working.
post #6280 of 6284 Unread 08-28-2014, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Part of me thinks I should just by myself a 650 and move on. I'm not really sure that the 650 would be much of a step down. I don't have more than 8 device to control anyhow. I have 3 devices that I regularly use, hopefully soon to be 4. Plus the 650 has the more durable rubber membrane buttons that are easily fixed if they stop working.
That's your call of course. I bought a second used 880 and had Quin put a new tilt sensor in it, so I have two. I really think if you value your time an $15/hr+ it is questionable to tear into it yourself because your know-how is not what Quin's is and chances are in 3-4 months you will be right back where you started. Quin is the man from my standpoint. I am sure he could cut you a volume deal on so many buttons.
post #6281 of 6284 Unread 08-28-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp View Post
That's your call of course. I bought a second used 880 and had Quin put a new tilt sensor in it, so I have two. I really think if you value your time an $15/hr+ it is questionable to tear into it yourself because your know-how is not what Quin's is and chances are in 3-4 months you will be right back where you started. Quin is the man from my standpoint. I am sure he could cut you a volume deal on so many buttons.
I bet he would too, he fixed several extra issues on my 880 and did not charge me anything extra for it.

Regarding the 650, I gave one to my mother and it has been very problematic, equipment doesn't respond all the time, buttons sticking(big problem, always happening), and the build quality overall is not nearly the same as the 880. I checked at the Harmony forums and there seems to be a consensus that the 650 is basically garbage. The problem is the 350 can only have 1 activity and the only other option is the very expensive Ultimate, or finding a discontinued model.

I really think you should send it to HRR, what do you have to lose? If the cost is too much he'll send it back and you're out the shipping only, and USPS first class mail is cheap.
post #6282 of 6284 Unread 08-28-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Anyone have their Harmony 880 controlling their AppleTV? If so, how is this done?
post #6283 of 6284 Unread 08-28-2014, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes. It's been a long time since I set it up but basically it's the same as anything else even tho it did take a little more work. I'd have to look at my 880 tonight to see what I did.
post #6284 of 6284 Unread 08-29-2014, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Yes. It's been a long time since I set it up but basically it's the same as anything else even tho it did take a little more work. I'd have to look at my 880 tonight to see what I did.
Thanks Otto, that would be great.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page