Harmony 880 Official Thread. For all info and FAQs - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 6279 Old 08-06-2006, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is a LOT of info. I tried reading it but it too time consuming.

I am looking at the 880 to replace my Sony remote comander (still work perfectly but is just too big and a pain to program) that I have had for 6+ years.

Is the logitec site the only way to configure the remote?

What in 6 years Logitec is'nt supporting or what not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 6279 Old 08-06-2006, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjlowe View Post

When I do that it reissues all of the commands as if I am first starting the activity, so things like the TV's input are changed when I don't want them to be.

- You can also press the Device button twice to get back to the original Activity. It won't issue any commands.
post #633 of 6279 Old 08-06-2006, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYWLKR View Post

Is the logitec site the only way to configure the remote?

- Yes, you have to use the Logitech site to get updates and view add new devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYWLKR View Post

What in 6 years Logitec is'nt supporting or what not?

- I'm not a fortune teller, but Logitech is a big company and I would assume the site would be up longer than that. If not, I would still be happy to be using a remote for 6 years. The buttons on my remotes for devices that old tend to have problems with buttons from repeated use.
post #634 of 6279 Old 08-06-2006, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post

- You can also press the Device button twice to get back to the original Activity. It won't issue any commands.

Hey I learned somethin. I didn't know that one.
post #635 of 6279 Old 08-07-2006, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjlowe View Post

Hello all! Is there a way to switch to activity mode without actually having the remote issue IR commands? For example, sometimes I need to switch to a device control for a specific function, but I want to return to the activity so I can control different devices in one screen. Can I do this without having it issue the commands associated with the activity?

From Device control, press the Activity button (the hard button, not the soft button for your particular activity) twice, and it will go back to the activity that was last selected without issuing any commands.

-- Martin
post #636 of 6279 Old 08-07-2006, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Yes! Thank you Martin, Toker, et. al...I appreciate the help!
post #637 of 6279 Old 08-07-2006, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
any word on having the ability to reorder Devices? I don't like the Activity function as much as just pressing Device choosing which one I want and going. My tv turns off when it's already on, changes to the wrong input based on what input I may be on.

Example, I'm playing my 360 and now want to watch a DVD. I'll hit the Watch DVD activity and it'll turn the tv off and go to the next component input instead of DVI. I've tried just about everything to get it to work.
post #638 of 6279 Old 08-07-2006, 09:40 PM

Hi HDKing,

I know you can "reorder activities" but I don't see a "reorder devices" button in that spot in the "devices" setup. I definitely have complaints about not being able to reorganize the custom buttons within an activity, as I discuss here. That link also provides information on how to contact Harmony. Take it to 2nd Level Support. I would imagine that it gets more attention the higher it starts.

And I know what you mean about things going on and off when you don't want them to. I made a separate activity called "Power" that is pretty much just power on/off for each of my devices. So there's one that says "TV Power" and one for "DVD Power," etc.

Then, I just tell the Harmony how I want it to handle power for each device -- somewhere in there, you can tell it to NOT do anything with the power for each device, probably to address issues just like these. So, basically, you can make your macros for whatever you want and not have it mess with the power of devices. Creating the activity will allow all the buttons to be configured for the activity, and you won't have to switch back and forth between devices.

So, call Harmony up if you feel so inclined. I really want the activity soft buttons to be re-orderable. Good luck with the power thing. That really bugged me in the beginning as well...

--Otto
post #639 of 6279 Old 08-07-2006, 10:23 PM

HDKing,

When I switch between activities that both require a device to be on, it leaves the device powered on (it doesn't turn it off). For example, if I'm in activity "Watch DVR" and I switch to "Watch DVD", my TV power is left alone...my DVR turns off, my DVD player turns on, my AVR switches to the DVD input. Hopefully Logitech's tech support can fix your power issues.
post #640 of 6279 Old 08-08-2006, 05:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 77
Still hadn't seen an answer for this one, if anyone has one let me know;

Hey guys, read through a chunk of this thread and did a forum search but didn't see an answer to my question.

I'm using the 880 in conjunction with a Moto HD-DVR 6412. Things work pretty well, but when I use the "favorite channels" feature to access a channel directly the inter-digit entry from the remote is painfully slow, on the order of several seconds to dial in a 3 digit channel number.

Is there any way to increase this? I've already reduced the intra-command timer for the DVR device to 0ms but seemed to make no difference for this particular feature working any faster.
post #641 of 6279 Old 08-08-2006, 09:36 AM

I have an interesting problem with my 880. I have had the remote for two days. Last night when I tried to use it the LCN screen had all lines in it and it was for the most part un readable. This morning (right before I called Logitech) the remote was fine. Anybody else have something similiar to this happen? Is this a common problem. Logitech will repair it, but if they get it and it is fine what will they do?
post #642 of 6279 Old 08-08-2006, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsprague View Post

I have an interesting problem with my 880. I have had the remote for two days. Last night when I tried to use it the LCN screen had all lines in it and it was for the most part un readable. This morning (right before I called Logitech) the remote was fine. Anybody else have something similiar to this happen? Is this a common problem. Logitech will repair it, but if they get it and it is fine what will they do?

Sounds like the loose battery problem.
post #643 of 6279 Old 08-08-2006, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoWorm View Post

Sounds like the loose battery problem.

Fixed several by weging a folded up peice of paper in the housing to take up the slack.
post #644 of 6279 Old 08-08-2006, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeblaze View Post

HDKing,

When I switch between activities that both require a device to be on, it leaves the device powered on (it doesn't turn it off). For example, if I'm in activity "Watch DVR" and I switch to "Watch DVD", my TV power is left alone...my DVR turns off, my DVD player turns on, my AVR switches to the DVD input. Hopefully Logitech's tech support can fix your power issues.

Do you have that long pause before the remote stops displaying its "Please keep remote pointed at tv" schpeel? That is one of my biggest cons about this remote. When I press Watch TV (my only Activity), it normally takes 10-15 seconds before the remote is operational.
post #645 of 6279 Old 08-08-2006, 02:59 PM

HDKing,

No, Mine probably lasts about 2 seconds for most activities...and I usually never have more than 3 devices in each activity. Maybe you can tweak your inter-key delay settings, repeats, etc. to fix such an issue. I believe you can also disable the "please keep remote pointed at tv" message from staying on the screen...but you will see when it's sending signals in the upper part of the display (the little transmit icon is either solid or blinks while it's transmitting).
post #646 of 6279 Old 08-08-2006, 09:25 PM

Mine takes pretty much the same amount of time HDKing. But I just thought that amount of time that was necessary for the remote to turn the cable box on, turn the tv on, set the tv input to 1, turn on the receiver, and switch the input to 1 on that also. I guess it depends on how many components you are using. Maybe we can shorten our time, but my delays are already low.
post #647 of 6279 Old 08-08-2006, 09:28 PM

I actually timed it after I got home from work. To activate my "Watch ReplayTV" activity from everything being OFF, it takes 6 seconds.
post #648 of 6279 Old 08-08-2006, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeblaze View Post

I actually timed it after I got home from work. To activate my "Watch ReplayTV" activity from everything being OFF, it takes 6 seconds.

My TV (70" Sony) takes at least 6 seconds for the picture to come on! But all of my inputs switch very quickly when I change activities.
post #649 of 6279 Old 08-09-2006, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

You people do realize that you do not have to hold the button down or hold the remote in your hand for it to work don't you? I usually pick up the remote, hit the activity button, lay it back down pointed at the entertainment center, and take advantage of the 5-10 seconds to go to the frig and get a cold beer! Why waste time?
post #650 of 6279 Old 08-09-2006, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel72 View Post

You people do realize that you do not have to hold the button down or hold the remote in your hand for it to work don't you? I usually pick up the remote, hit the activity button, lay it back down pointed at the entertainment center, and take advantage of the 5-10 seconds to go to the frig and get a cold beer! Why waste time?

Well, that's not always the case. In my setup (TV and STB are about 3 feet to the left of the rest of my devices) I have to aim in the middle and be very still for the 3-4 seconds it takes to turn on everything otherwise it's 'help' time. Actually, with my STB (SA8300HD) if I change channels (typing a new 3 digit #) and move the remote too quickly the channel I get is unpredictable. Remember it's IR and not RF!
post #651 of 6279 Old 08-09-2006, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Land View Post

Well, that's not always the case. In my setup (TV and STB are about 3 feet to the left of the rest of my devices) I have to aim in the middle and be very still for the 3-4 seconds it takes to turn on everything otherwise it's 'help' time. Actually, with my STB (SA8300HD) if I change channels (typing a new 3 digit #) and move the remote too quickly the channel I get is unpredictable. Remember it's IR and not RF!

http://www.nilesaudio.com/product_se....php?catcdID=5
post #652 of 6279 Old 08-10-2006, 11:42 AM

Is there a way to get program guide information on this remote like other harmony remotes allow you to do? I haven't seen a way to do this. Just curious....
post #653 of 6279 Old 08-10-2006, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slump Buster View Post

Is there a way to get program guide information on this remote like other harmony remotes allow you to do? I haven't seen a way to do this. Just curious....

Not on the 880. Never figured out why thier top remote is missing a feature of the underlings...But I never used it on my 676.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #654 of 6279 Old 08-11-2006, 12:12 PM

It is with sadness that I must put my 880 up for bid (on Ebay). It's only three months old, but I just couldn't figure it out. I wanted to thank everyone here in this forum that helped me try.
post #655 of 6279 Old 08-11-2006, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart2brett View Post

It is with sadness that I must put my 880 up for bid (on Ebay). It's only three months old, but I just couldn't figure it out. I wanted to thank everyone here in this forum that helped me try.

You tried hard I bet, it's not for everyone. What do you thing will work better for you??

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #656 of 6279 Old 08-11-2006, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Whats the problem?
Is there something I can do to help?
There isn't any that are easier.

PM me if You like. I have a pro installer account so I could look in on yours.
post #657 of 6279 Old 08-11-2006, 04:54 PM

I'm having trouble getting the activity I've set up for watching DVDs to work correctly. I have a Philips DVD-860 and if I choose this in the online setup none of the commands work. I choose a similar Marantz player and then at least if I go into device mode I can turn my DVD player off or on, etc. The only problem is that I have to hold the button down for a while for the command to work so I can't just do a regular button press and release for it to work. For this reason when I try to incorporate my DVD player in activities it won't turn on or off.

I made the remote repeat commands 5 times and that seemed to fix the above problem but it makes no sense to me. What exactly does holding down a button on the harmony do to the signal it is transmitting to the device?

Another problem is if I try to learn the commands from my DVD player's remote then even in device mode the command doesn't work. Any idea why the Harmony is having trouble with learning IR commands from my remote?

Thanks for answers to either of my 2 questions.
post #658 of 6279 Old 08-11-2006, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdilliker View Post

I'm having trouble getting the activity I've set up for watching DVDs to work correctly. I have a Philips DVD-860 and if I choose this in the online setup none of the commands work. I choose a similar Marantz player and then at least if I go into device mode I can turn my DVD player off or on, etc. The only problem is that I have to hold the button down for a while for the command to work so I can't just do a regular button press and release for it to work. For this reason when I try to incorporate my DVD player in activities it won't turn on or off.

I made the remote repeat commands 5 times and that seemed to fix the above problem but it makes no sense to me. What exactly does holding down a button on the harmony do to the signal it is transmitting to the device?

Another problem is if I try to learn the commands from my DVD player's remote then even in device mode the command doesn't work. Any idea why the Harmony is having trouble with learning IR commands from my remote?

Thanks for answers to either of my 2 questions.

First off when you teach the remote an IR command it matches that IR command to the best match in the data base.
You will notice in the right colum after you teach the command it will say "Data Base". What I would try is to have the remote learn the command in "Raw".
When you use RAW it will record the command exactly as it came out of the OEM remote so duration of the button push is critical.
To start with just teach the remote the On and Off commands in RAW.

I had the same problem with a Zenith Directv box. The only buttons off were the 3 and the 6. If you pushed a 3 it would command a 9 and when you pushed the 6 it would send a 3. Learing these 2 keys in Raw fixed the problem.

In the learn command window click on custom on the bottom.

Hope this helps.
post #659 of 6279 Old 08-12-2006, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Smith View Post

First off when you teach the remote an IR command it matches that IR command to the best match in the data base.
You will notice in the right colum after you teach the command it will say "Data Base". What I would try is to have the remote learn the command in "Raw".
When you use RAW it will record the command exactly as it came out of the OEM remote so duration of the button push is critical.
To start with just teach the remote the On and Off commands in RAW.

I had the same problem with a Zenith Directv box. The only buttons off were the 3 and the 6. If you pushed a 3 it would command a 9 and when you pushed the 6 it would send a 3. Learing these 2 keys in Raw fixed the problem.

In the learn command window click on custom on the bottom.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much. I think that should solve the problem, so I'm going to try it out right now. I'll let you know what happens!!

Yup, what you said worked like a charm. I guess I should have read the yellow help box on the right side of the screen because it said exactly what you said about learning RAW commands.

Now that I have your attention, once I have "learned" a command, is there an easy way to go back and make it use the command from the database? In other words, if I teach the "play" command using my remote but then decide I want to use the "play" command from the database.

Thanks.
post #660 of 6279 Old 08-12-2006, 10:12 AM

Quote:

Before giving up completely you may just want to spend time with Harmony tech support. If you can afford a couple of hours out of the day, they'll stay on wit you and program your remote for you. This was the reason why I bought Harmony to begin with. You won;t find better customer service from any other remote company. Just something to consider.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page